AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-30, 00:35   Link #1921
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

That said, was I the only one that found Aoba's tone to exude a little irritation when Azuma came and reported that Kou was showing Akane Wakaba's photos? (wow, 5 names in a single sentence. This is getting complicated. ).
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 00:40   Link #1922
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
If Aoba had decided to openly give Kou chocolates I don't think Akane's presence would have stopped her
I would contest that for a variety of reasons, and the most obvious is...do you really think Aoba is the type who would let someone see her doing something as affectionate as giving the gift to Kou? I don't think so.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 00:50   Link #1923
Proto

Amen to that. If this was any other series you could have almost pictured Aoba doing the urusai * 3 routine.
Old 2009-11-30, 00:51   Link #1924
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That said, was I the only one that found Aoba's tone to exude a little irritation when Azuma came and reported that Kou was showing Akane Wakaba's photos? (wow, 5 names in a single sentence. This is getting complicated. ).
I second this, I felt the same way. Azuma's big eyes aren't just for decoration, the guy can see through anyone and Aoba sure made it pretty obvious when Azuma was telling everyone that Kou and Akane were in his room together.

And another amazing episode. I guess they really are pushing this Kou x Akane thing. Even so, I think it's good to add a little drama to this and I must say, they're doing a hell of a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I would contest that for a variety of reasons, and the most obvious is...do you really think Aoba is the type who would let someone see her doing something as affectionate as giving the gift to Kou? I don't think so.
"You're forgetting the most important thing. Aoba isn't the most straightforward person"

Not exactly word for word but you get the point

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 00:54   Link #1925
Proto

Hadn't read this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
After seeing a few signatures on this forum featuring this anime I decided to check it out last weekend and ended up marathoning all 34 episodes. Episode 1 was so well done that I was completely hooked and I've enjoyed every single episode so far except for episode 18. Having to wait for episode 35 was agonizing after getting used to watching 1 episode after another and it's going to be another long week waiting for 36.

Spoiler for ep. 35:
Be sure to tell your friends and expand the Cross Game love!
Old 2009-11-30, 02:52   Link #1926
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Thumbs up Another excellent episode!

Quote:
After seeing a few signatures on this forum featuring this anime I decided to check it out last weekend and ended up marathoning all 34 episodes. Episode 1 was so well done that I was completely hooked and I've enjoyed every single episode so far except for episode 18. Having to wait for episode 35 was agonizing after getting used to watching 1 episode after another and it's going to be another long week waiting for 36.
Nice! Welcome to the Cross Game craziness! Glad to have you on board haha. Yeah I was in your position not too long ago and I'm still having CG withdrawals.

Anyways, this show seriously just keeps getting better and better. Subs are out, but just in case

Spoiler for episode 35:
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 03:43   Link #1927
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

"You go see her."

Yohoho duh. Kou didn't even have time for a good deflection when the three blurted it out. Holy lol.

Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery? Classic conversation in the kitchen between them regarding Akane's winning illustration. Of course, who's form is it exactly? Is it Kou's or Aoba's? Or... is it both of them combined? That conversation personally is deeply indicative of their relationship because they clearly and honestly talk about form, and who's imitating who. Humble enough to deflect the fame to someone else but willing to talk about it.

I'm sure she's trying to be nice but she's really sharp. She's already realized that people's clumsy reactions are still tied to her looking like Wakaba. Once Akaishi tells her that Wakaba was in love with Kou... well we all know Akane just realized something really big. What exactly she now thinks we don't know, but I'm sure she's shifted her perspective on Kou and the Tsukishima sisters. As for Akaishi, perhaps being a lookalike of her grandfather is prophetic?

"Isn't it great she's a girl instead?" - Best Momiji line evar.

Another classic line from Azuma, who's inching up ever closer on the Kitamura Kou Scale of GAR. Doesn't need any repeat because we've all seen it on the preview.

It's alright Senda, I never got anything on February 14 during my entire effective lifespan.

Best scene, or should I say scenes, is everything after the chocolate debacle. Really now, for Azuma? Can't say I'm surprised that Kou still can't pick up on it because it's a possibility that he's never even considered before, but this is for me the very first time that Aoba did something for him on a personal level. We could only surmise what she would have answered before Akane came in, but knowing her it would be another deflection.

But for me, this episode is showing during the discussion in the kitchen about Akane and Kou in the same room that Aoba's deflections are getting really, really worse, or should I say messy? The regular prompt hostility she usually uses for him is losing it's touch, her descriptions getting less rabid, and she's more evasive of the topic at hand. So once Azuma starts poking around because he clearly knows it was never meant for him, Mr. Cousin who's name still escapes me is once again offered as the sacrifice as she goes to bat. Tsun much?

God the mangaka sure is implying heavily for a Kou x Akane much, at least from Kou's perspective. We still haven't seen what he concretely decides to do about because he's personally been rather indecisive about the entire issue. He's usually straightforward and decisive, something he doesn;t show around Akane, for obvious reasons.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 04:03   Link #1928
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

This episode is one of the best. Great character interactions and nice comedic touches. I especially like the bickering between Kou and Aoba about her cooking. And of course, Azuma and his straight talk about Aoba.

Then there's the more serious stuff, like Kou and Aoba about Akane winning the grand prize for the baseball poster contest. Akane and Akaishi's talk about Wakaba. Kou and Momiji's conversation during their game of catch. Ichiyo and Junpei watching the baseball game. And the scene with Kou's mom and dad; wow.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 04:07   Link #1929
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I give up, I am picking up the manga. To hell with it. I can't wait one more week. This story is too good.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 04:52   Link #1930
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Also good to know they didn't troll us in the preview last week and that Azuma was really talking to Aoba. He's so casual about everything. Telling Aoba, and especially in the locker room. I told you guys, I'd only consider going out with Aoba. Huh? I didn't tell you already?
What was with that "I didn't tell you?" I guess he's just so blunt and nonchalant about it all that he doesn't really care if other people know that about him.

About the Akane and Kou scene at the end. She said that she didn't think Wakaba would have gotten tired of him (could be a compliment/showing that she also sees the good in him), and then the gift --> they seem to be progressing the Kou x Akane pairing... at this point, I do think Akane may have more than just "friend" feelings for Kou.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 04:57   Link #1931
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I give up, I am picking up the manga. To hell with it. I can't wait one more week. This story is too good.
You won't be disappointed. Well, maybe with any breaks in the publishing schedule, but otherwise...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 05:07   Link #1932
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'm personally going to read the manga after the series ends (heaven forbid). Mostly because it gives me one more thing to look forward to every Monday.
Old 2009-11-30, 07:15   Link #1933
Mikapon

lol at this week's quiz.
I like how it's "how many did Kou say he got" instead of "how many did Kou get."

If anyone is wondering what the school chairman was waiting for at the beginning of the show, it's the invitation call for the "Senbatsu."
The Senbatsu Koushien held in the spring has no prelims. The teams get invited from the selection committee. If you get selected you go straight to the Koshien series.
The selection criteria is mostly based on the fall tournament results, but there are many selection brackets so you might get selected even if you don't win the regionals.
Mikapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 09:03   Link #1934
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Yeah... and my response to that is that I think most of all Aoba wouldn't want Kou to see her doing anything affectionate for Kou.

If she had managed to overcome that hurdle I don't see why Akane's presence would stop her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
the mangaka sure is implying heavily for a Kou x Akane much, at least from Kou's perspective. We still haven't seen what he concretely decides to do about because he's personally been rather indecisive about the entire issue. He's usually straightforward and decisive, something he doesn;t show around Akane, for obvious reasons.
Interesting, I don't see Kou as being indecisive. I see him as being very careful about showing his feelings, but I think he clearly is much more interested in Aoba then Akane. Aoba sends such confusing messages that it's hard for him too see a way to pursue her.

The far more interesting element was that Akane gave Kou a chocolate too. Is she becoming interested in him? Maybe (like Wakaba) she believes in fate, which combined with everything must make Kou very interesting- add in that Kou is such a nice guy...

I forsee people beginning to adjust and act as though Kou and Akane are "together" the same way they did with Wakaba- and I foresee Kou becoming more and more irritated by that.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2009-11-30 at 09:14.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 09:27   Link #1935
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:

Spoiler for ep. 35:
if Azuma's brother gets married to Ichiyo, which looks like it might happen, than wouldn't Azuma be related to Aoba? brother/sister in law? can brother/sister in-law get married? I'm guessing it can because didn't Aoba's cousin say that cousins can get married I don't think brother/sister in-laws can't. That would be kinda messed up, your cousin/brother in-law wants to be with you.
Old 2009-11-30, 09:31   Link #1936
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
if Azuma's brother gets married to Ichiyo, which looks like it might happen, than wouldn't Azuma be related to Aoba? brother/sister in law? can brother/sister in-law get married?
They can

Opps! Sorry I spoiled a bit.
(You don't have to believe me, though.)
Old 2009-11-30, 09:34   Link #1937
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
if Azuma's brother gets married to Ichiyo, which looks like it might happen, than wouldn't Azuma be related to Aoba? brother/sister in law? can brother/sister in-law get married? I'm guessing it can because didn't Aoba's cousin say that cousins can get married I don't think brother/sister in-laws can't. That would be kinda messed up, your cousin/brother in-law wants to be with you.
Restrictions for marrying relatives at this point are mostly to prevent genetic problems in children. I can't think of a place where marrying your brother/sister-in-law is illegal. Cousins I could see being a little odd, but considering you don't have any blood relation to your siblings-in-law, it's not really that weird.

This episode also makes me curious if there will be an episode with White Day. For those unfamiliar with Valentine's day in Japan, girls give boys chocolate on February 14 and boys are supposed to give a (more expensive) gift to the girls from whom he received chocolate on March 14, White Day. It's a little more complex than that, but that's the general idea.
Old 2009-11-30, 09:45   Link #1938
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I expect Aoba to kick some ass next week. Who's with me?
Old 2009-11-30, 09:51   Link #1939
Proto

I would like for some people in the national team tests to be able to stand up to her, so that it doesn't lose on realism.
Old 2009-11-30, 10:01   Link #1940
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
Restrictions for marrying relatives at this point are mostly to prevent genetic problems in children. I can't think of a place where marrying your brother/sister-in-law is illegal. Cousins I could see being a little odd, but considering you don't have any blood relation to your siblings-in-law, it's not really that weird.

This episode also makes me curious if there will be an episode with White Day. For those unfamiliar with Valentine's day in Japan, girls give boys chocolate on February 14 and boys are supposed to give a (more expensive) gift to the girls from whom he received chocolate on March 14, White Day. It's a little more complex than that, but that's the general idea.
that makes sense.

As for the white day I don't see Kou giving Aoba anything expensive if theres going to be an episode about it. It'll probably be a box of chocolates if he does. Kou is cheap, but he did purchase the gifts Waka told him to get her. Kou might do something nice for Akane though imo because they are so alike. As for Azuma, I don't think he'll give anything back to Aoba seeing how hes not the kind that would do something like that.

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports