AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-11-07, 15:11   Link #1
oompa loompa

Overwatch

So this just got announced at blizzcon

Gameplay trailer

First trailer

Looks like.. pixar team fortress with super powers. I hated the trailer, but the gameplay looks pretty intriguing. Not much information out, ( afaik no release date yet, will update)

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2014-11-07 at 20:09.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 15:15   Link #2
Xacual

I wonder if Overwatch is them making use of some of the assets that they had made for Project Titan, like art assets and things.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 15:25   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Wow okay usually with these things there's only a few characters that I would be interested in but this time there's a lot of really interesting characters with different play styles.

The only personal downside is that it's First Person... I wish it third person but some of the characters look like they have some 3rd person abilities.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 15:28   Link #4
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Very excited about this blizzard polish on a fps game(with a twist), and it looks to be fast paced, being a ex UT player going to be a lot of fun in 2015 this and the UT reboot.
Old 2014-11-07, 15:32   Link #5
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Overwatch Panel happening now.
Old 2014-11-07, 15:39   Link #6
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

TF2 comparisons are inevitable. Documents leaked late 2000s had the tenatively named Titan project to emerge late 2014 as what Kaplan left WoW for to work on.

Blizzard are being a bit clever. Shooters have had little impact on the e-sports scene (Counterstrike has a limited following and not that positive a community) and Team Fortress 2 has worn a bit thin for a lot of people. It's a genre they can cash in on and try and make an e-sport out of since Riot and Valve are way ahead of them on the MOBA scene with Heroes of the Storm taking this long to start emerging and Starcraft's impact being limited in that way.

Visuals are fine for me. Mercy seems like the one I'd play most since I played Medic big-time in TF2. But as you say, I hope this doesn't turn into a PG-era version of a shooter or too Pixarish.

One thing I will say is at least Blizzard made some female characters/classes - something TF2 and co. never did.

They managed to make Hearthstone go well within 1 year and is their first relative success at making an e-sport. I daresay Overwatch is their next hope - Heroes of the Storm likely has too big a wall to climb against its competitors.
Old 2014-11-07, 15:50   Link #7
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Less lethal = more uptime ftw lol.
The Opening animation for Overwatch made me get so critical when the two kids show'd up but it was really cool afterwards.
Reaper looks awesome btw.
Tracer is kind of chipperish lol.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 15:50   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Currently is 6v6, objective focus, and what's this? No Deathmatch?

EDIT:

12 playable characters so far.
Old 2014-11-07, 16:21   Link #9
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Really like the look of the maps. Think bastion is my favourite and tracer coming up along side.
Old 2014-11-07, 16:25   Link #10
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Tracer and Widowmaker are moe.
Old 2014-11-07, 16:32   Link #11
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I wonder if Overwatch is them making use of some of the assets that they had made for Project Titan, like art assets and things.
I'm going to assume this is the case. Since they finally scrapped Project Titan since it was getting nowhere. They might as well use whatever they had on something smaller.
Old 2014-11-07, 16:45   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Now that single player is confirmed to not be in the game, I'm curious about how they want to tell the story of the world outside of the game.

I suspect they're planning to make it an Animation series, they seem to be flexing their muscles on Animation with WoW so this seems like a natural progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I'm going to assume this is the case. Since they finally scrapped Project Titan since it was getting nowhere. They might as well use whatever they had on something smaller.
They have all but confirmed this in the Overwatch panel just now.
Old 2014-11-07, 17:05   Link #13
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Curious to see what Blizz wants to do with the payment model. Heroes of the Storm is free to play likely this will be that too.
Old 2014-11-07, 17:30   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I've decided, I want that Cyborg Ninja, I don't care how it actually plays- I want him in my veins.
Old 2014-11-07, 17:52   Link #15
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Looks like a warframe I love how they have designed these hero's really unique.
Old 2014-11-07, 17:53   Link #16
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Now that you mention it, yeah My first thought was Gray Fox though.
Old 2014-11-07, 17:57   Link #17
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Mercy reminds me a lot of the Medic from TF2, so that's probably the way I'll gravitate. But the dwarf dude and the turret lady are strong shades of the Engineer which is also quite awesome. Tracer is pretty peppy though, kinda looks like she'll have a sort of spammable teleport, retreat ability I get the feeling will be very annoying to counter. Also, Widowmaker sounds like they just copied either Kerrigans or Nova's voice pack, lol.

I'd say payment model wise expect something like HotS. F2P, earnable currency (hopefully at a better rate than HotS), loads of skins.
Old 2014-11-07, 18:33   Link #18
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Tracer and Widowmaker are moe.
I'm in love with Tracer. XD Dat Accent and hair.
Old 2014-11-07, 18:47   Link #19
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Yeah, she's pretty awesome. But it's pretty obvious which two characters are the mascots of the series. lol.
Old 2014-11-07, 19:14   Link #20
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

I don't know why I am just not very hyped. I guess I feel like FPS have been so well covered by a lot of other developers that Blizzard just... wouldn't be able to stand out. This game feels much like teamfortress.

I seriously think blizzard should stick to their RPG/RTS roots. There is still a LOT in those genres for them to explore. Then again, Blizzard loves their multiplayer elements, and most likely will not bother with standalone single player games that offer the epic adventuring experience like in single player games.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, first person shooter