AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-10-29, 01:04   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

GeForce GTX690: $999

IGN article here.

I thought this was the best subforum for this. Anyway, long story short, who else thinks this a ludicrously powered and ludicrously priced piece of gaming heaven? Reading the price and specs of that beast makes me wonder just exactly how many people these days in this economy actually take PC gaming so seriously that they think they need this. It almost feels like wasteful overkill.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 01:22   Link #2
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Tom's review from back in May.

Looks sexy, works like two GTX 680's (which it basically is), and you, I, and people with half a sense of economy are not the customer. Don't think too hard about it, they have these high-margin, low-volume e-peen cards essentially every generation. This one actually gets props because the NVIDIA engineers bothered to, well, engineer in some design improvements for thermal and noise savings instead of just doing a "factory SLI" and slap a name on it which is what usually happened with these ~$1000 cards.

And going by the benchmarks in the link it most certainly can play Crysis [2]. ;p
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 04:34   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
IGN article here.

I thought this was the best subforum for this. Anyway, long story short, who else thinks this a ludicrously powered and ludicrously priced piece of gaming heaven? Reading the price and specs of that beast makes me wonder just exactly how many people these days in this economy actually take PC gaming so seriously that they think they need this. It almost feels like wasteful overkill.
Think a little further than gaming, those cards aren't just used for that reason
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-29, 14:11   Link #4
Jaden

There's always some gamers who have the money and can find uses for it, for example if you want to do stereoscopic 3D or 120 FPS, and using multiple displays with ludicrous resolutions.
Old 2012-10-29, 16:32   Link #5
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Well, that might sound like a lot of money. It depends on the perspective though...

For example in the industry, were you really need precise arithmetic, these cards costs way more (Tesla).

For example for fast, modern computed tomography you would use a server with 3 Tesla M2070Q GPU modules (price per module 5.500$) to process the raw data from the scanner and make it ready (convert it to a certain format) for viewing on a client.
Old 2012-10-29, 21:39   Link #6
Alchemist007
*Author

But they're getting it to do a job. For a gaming enthusiast, this thing is clearly being slated toward the richest, which makes me wonder how many would buy it. It must be enough to consider even making a model like this.
Old 2012-10-30, 00:55   Link #7
Tiberium Wolf

If they are making it means it's profitable to make them coz there are ppl buying it.
Old 2012-10-30, 04:36   Link #8
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
If they are making it means it's profitable to make them coz there are ppl buying it.
Thats not neccessarily the case. A good example would be the Bugatti Veyron that technically costs VW money to produce (despite being extremely high priced, it still cannot make up for the overal costs of research and development + production). VW as a brand had another prestige car like this, the Phaeton. Sometimes, things get produced for prestige (to e.g. raise awareness for the brand).
Old 2012-10-30, 06:10   Link #9
sa547
*Author

Besides being examples of "symbolic technology" (that is, showing that the manufacturer is an industry leader), these low-production high-end GPUs are intended for wealthy enthusiasts and competitive overclockers who either want to be on the bleeding edge or for bragging rights.

So unless in a space of five years I find such cards in the bargain bin, for now I can only appreciate their performance, all the while satisfied with what I own: an HD4670.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-10-30 at 06:21.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 13:24   Link #10
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

In my personal opinion, dual GPU graphics are not yet worth it for the AVERAGE gamer. Last time I checked, having dual GPU doesn't even equal twice the performance gain, it more like a quarter gain in performance. You might as well just stick with a good solid single card for gaming.

On the other hand, these kinds of cards do have other beneficial applications in the industry besides gaming.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:04   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Thats not neccessarily the case. A good example would be the Bugatti Veyron that technically costs VW money to produce (despite being extremely high priced, it still cannot make up for the overal costs of research and development + production). VW as a brand had another prestige car like this, the Phaeton. Sometimes, things get produced for prestige (to e.g. raise awareness for the brand).
I don't think you can compare it with Bugatti Veyron because the price is diff so huge and so much less ppl able to buy it.
Old 2012-10-30, 16:37   Link #12
Alchemist007
*Author

Actually, the production price may be much lower, and pricing it this high could be to test consumer limits, otherwise they could always lower the price.
Old 2012-10-31, 10:33   Link #13
problemedchild
ō_ō

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Youth View Post
In my personal opinion, dual GPU graphics are not yet worth it for the AVERAGE gamer. Last time I checked, having dual GPU doesn't even equal twice the performance gain, it more like a quarter gain in performance. You might as well just stick with a good solid single card for gaming.

On the other hand, these kinds of cards do have other beneficial applications in the industry besides gaming.
SLI scaling has gotten really good in the recent years. You're getting around 50-90% additional performance.
problemedchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 16:20   Link #14
Alchemist007
*Author

That's...a really wide margin
Old 2012-11-02, 02:02   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Two words: parallel processing.