Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Are these the Pants of Potency?
Damn right they are
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 20:27   Link #582
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Both of these teams have made some messy mistakes, but Norway's mistakes came when they couldn't afford to make them. It's not looking good for them in the 10th end.

Edit - And that's game! Kevin Martin and his curling team from Canada adds one more gold to tie the total gold record.
Karlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 20:38   Link #583
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Can someone tell me (from the US) where the men's team pursuit was on. I had NBC on all day waiting for it and then I come on here to realize it already happened and the US lost. I am not sure what I am more upset about that we lost or that I missed it.
It may have been on USA Network, MSNBC is also a possibility.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 20:44   Link #584
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Curling gold was almost a coronation for Martin. Now Hockey. This final game is going to be very, very exciting.

And good Pixiv always responds quickly.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2010-02-27 at 21:10.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 20:55   Link #585
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So yeah after tonight I am nominating Cheryl Bernard's hand away to Sweden as the definitive Canadian choke of the game. I hope everybody will watch this game and see exactly what I'm talking about and why I never have any confidence in our athletes no matter how favoured or good they are and bet against them every time.
As far as Canadian athletes choking, give me a break. Most golds in this Olympics, with both favourites and surprise wins. 3rd in overall medals. Most medals ever in a winter olympics (for our country). I'm not so retarded as the COC and thinking that we were going to be number 1 in overall medals, but to expect the favourite to win every time is a little much. Part of the fun of watching a sport is seeing the underdog come out on top (although god help us if it happens in tomorrow's hockey game).

Personally, I haven't really liked how Bernard has played at these olympics (I don't even think she is the best women's curling team in Canada right now). At these olympics, she tended to play really tight games that depend on one shot at the end of the game. It was bound to come back to bite her in the ass; it just happened in the gold medal game, albeit twice.
Old 2010-02-27, 21:14   Link #586
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Wow I never thought Cross Country Skiing could be so exciting. Admittedly it wasn't until the final few minutes but seeing Poland & Norwary neck in neck to the finish line and Poland literally getting the gold medal at the last second.....It's moments like this that make me love the Olympics.

This was also Poland's first gold medal in Cross Country and Poland's first female Medal in the Winter Olympics (or did I get those mixed up?) A pretty cool thing to see.
Well it IS the Winter Games' version of the marathon....
Old 2010-02-27, 21:36   Link #587
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Personally, I haven't really liked how Bernard has played at these olympics (I don't even think she is the best women's curling team in Canada right now). At these olympics, she tended to play really tight games that depend on one shot at the end of the game. It was bound to come back to bite her in the ass; it just happened in the gold medal game, albeit twice.
She isn't, as we saw how poorly she played during the Olympic. Bernard didn't choke, she just never had the skill to begin with. <_<

Well, another Gold for Canada (and an expected one) in Curling. We're now tied for the record with the greatest number of gold.

...there's only hockey left now...damn, I'm nervous...

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 21:44   Link #588
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
As far as Canadian athletes choking, give me a break. Most golds in this Olympics, with both favourites and surprise wins. 3rd in overall medals. Most medals ever in a winter olympics (for our country). I'm not so retarded as the COC and thinking that we were going to be number 1 in overall medals, but to expect the favourite to win every time is a little much. Part of the fun of watching a sport is seeing the underdog come out on top (although god help us if it happens in tomorrow's hockey game).
In all fairness though, I believe when they projected the goal of being number 1 on the overall medal count total it was bit after the games in Torino or sometime towards the end of them which at the time seemed like a very realistic and possible goal if you look at the medal count total by the top 5 in the '06 Olympics in Torino. It's just that no one projected the US to explode in the medal count in these games after only obtaining a mere 25 medals 4 years ago. Personally, I wasn't very sure Canada would match up to the 24 medal total set in Torino because that is alot of medals when you think about it.

Now I won't deny that we had some favorites that couldn't get it done, but with underperformance in some places there are bound to be surprises in other places. Anderson in the PGS Men's final earlier today, Montgomery's come from behind victory in Men's Skeleton, and the one - two podium finish in Women's 2-man Bobsled for examples.

Edit - awww c'mon guys lay off Cheryl Bernard already , Canada in Women's Curling didn't get on the podium in Torino. A silver is a nice step up from that.
Old 2010-02-27, 21:59   Link #589
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

So I'm watching the figure skating exhibition which made me think...they should up the men's figure skating level to emphasize the quad. Giving the excuse that you don't need a quad to win is really downgrading the sport. In the past, when the triple made its debut, that was the next level. So now it should be the quad.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-27, 22:05   Link #590
wingman32x

I really hope slovakia wins in hockey tonight. They deserve it.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 22:06   Link #591
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I just read about the decision to opt Brian Mckeever out of the 50km ski mass start event by the way, and this is perhaps one of the most damaging decision for any coach to make. Regardless of whether the Canadian keeps him in the team or to have the 10 per cent sight paralympian champion skier removed, the damage to morale would've been bad either way as only 4 out of 5 athletes can compete.

To add more issue to this decision, Mckeever is at last place amongst the 5 athletes time wise for now, so keeping him on would be seen as unfair due to not evaluating basing purely on merits. To opt him out, as chosen in this case, would be seen as a case of cold, empirical choice that is done against the Olympic spirit of overcoming adversity.

I now wonder if our Team Canada can keep themselves together and be in contention for a podium standing, as well as whether or not if the audience will actually be sympathetic to the decision of the coach and the team. There are already visceral words hurled upon the entirety Team Canada over choosing 5 instead of 4 men over this, for that would have circumvented this most awkward situation. The sad truth in having 1 man as a back-up in case should ill befall one of the team members would be completely lost to the eyes of the unforgiving audience.

As for Brian, I think he has only proven that he is indeed a world class skier, and I would like nothing more than to see him qualify and secure his place to compete in Sochi beyond all doubt. Before Sochi however, he now has Paralympic games to worry about, one which he has won in 4 events in Torino and has 7 paralympic medals.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2010-02-27 at 22:21.
Old 2010-02-27, 23:16   Link #592
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah so knowing that in certain parts of the world Canada is going to be ranked number 1 at these Olympics is pretty cool. Knowing that we now share the record for most golds with Norway and the Soviet Union is also pretty awesome. Knowing that if Canada wins the gold medal game tomorrow that I will in fact lose 50 dollars.....still don't know how I feel about it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 00:15   Link #593
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Wow these Slovaks just can't get a break.

Well at least they didn't go out without a fight. Damnit, their hard work deserves to be commemorated. Nobody here expected that team to do any damage. They beat Russia in a shootout, shutout the defending gold medallists, and almost forced OT...twice
Old 2010-02-28, 00:28   Link #594
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlson View Post
Wow these Slovaks just can't get a break.

Well at least they didn't go out without a fight. Damnit, their hard work deserves to be commemorated. Nobody here expected that team to do any damage. They beat Russia in a shootout, shutout the defending gold medallists, and almost forced OT...twice
I expect Slovakia to only get better and be an even more major challenge in 2014. But they need to play cleaner and avoid giving those deadly powerplays to the other team.

Tomorrow is the major hockey face-off and the last day of one awesome Olympic ride...I feel both scared (for the hockey) and sad that these awesome 17 days will soon end and we all return back to our uneventful lives.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-02-28, 00:56   Link #595
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Tomorrow is the major hockey face-off and the last day of one awesome Olympic ride...I feel both scared (for the hockey) and sad that these awesome 17 days will soon end and we all return back to our uneventful lives.
Soon to be over, eh? Timezone-wise, IMHO, this Winter Olympics sucks. I only managed to catch a few clips here and there; the events showing live tend to be at 3/4AM, and there is no way I'm staying up to catch those regularly.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 01:22   Link #596
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Hmm... I am starting to wonder if men's will repeat the women's medal standing for Hockey. Finland is sitting now with a Bronze after all.

Old 2010-02-28, 01:30   Link #597
Hari Michiru
Insane Fangirl
*Author

Quote:
Edit - awww c'mon guys lay off Cheryl Bernard already , Canada in Women's Curling didn't get on the podium in Torino. A silver is a nice step up from that.
She did manage to beat Norberg in the round robin, so I'd give her that. Plus, for someone who has never been at an international championship or Olympic game to beat the defending champ once is pretty good for me.

Now, if Bernard didn't get gold in Sochi (assuming she's going), I'd be a bit disappointed.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Hari Michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 07:14   Link #598
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
And that's game! Kevin Martin and his curling team from Canada adds one more gold to tie the total gold record.
Congrats to Canada, that was well deserved. For Norway to get a silver medal is actually surprisingly good.
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 07:58   Link #599
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
So I'm watching the figure skating exhibition which made me think...they should up the men's figure skating level to emphasize the quad. Giving the excuse that you don't need a quad to win is really downgrading the sport. In the past, when the triple made its debut, that was the next level. So now it should be the quad.
And thus is the heart of the new judging system controversy.

I also think they should place more emphasis on the quad.....Not too much though, artistic content overall should factor heavily as well.

I for one would like to see the quad salchow being raised as the next level for ladies' skating......after all, if Miki Ando could land it...

Yes, I'm a bit sad that this year's wonderful Games are over....it has kept me occupied for most of the past 2+ weeks.....4 years seems too long to wait.
Old 2010-02-28, 09:36   Link #600
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Yes, I'm a bit sad that this year's wonderful Games are over....it has kept me occupied for most of the past 2+ weeks.....4 years seems too long to wait.
I dunno. I seem to forget how burned out I get after watching pretty much nothing but the Olympics for 17 days.

Oh well. Only about 30 months to London!

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
olympics