Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-06-11, 12:15   Link #141
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Reviews so far:

The Verge: “Finally, the Superman we deserve”

The Hollywood Reporter: “Man of Steel mostly plays it smart by mixing its action deck-of-cards style.”

Comingsoon.net: “It's not a bad start, but it could be better.” 6/10

Time Out: “Snyder is no party pooper, though. He might not resurrect Superman’s old theme tune, nor does he allow the word ‘Superman’ to be spoken (it’s all Clark and Kal). But by the end, he’s teased in some of the more amusing elements of the old story we thought were missing, leaving the way open for a sequel that will surely be more Earthbound.” 4/5 Stars

The Guardian: “Superman reboot provides visual fireworks when our hero flies but liaison between Clark Kent and Lois Lane is a damp squib.” 3/5 Stars

Total Film: “Superman Begins” 4/5 Stars

Empire: “The Clark Knight” 4/5 Stars

Variety: “A humorless tone and relentlessly noisy aesthetics drag down this heavily hyped, brilliantly marketed tentpole attraction.”

Slash Film: “The audience is so used to one version of Superman that watching the story told in a different way feels a bit off. The presentation of Lois Lane, played by Amy Adams, is similar. She’s part of Clark’s life right from the story’s opening, which is a deviation from what audiences are used to. And while these two tweaks to the Superman story might feel awkward at first, the reasons become clear — and exceedingly rewarding — as the film moves on.”

IGN: “It is indeed the Superman film you’ve long wanted. (Just don't bother paying to see it in 3D as that higher-priced format didn’t really add anything to the experience.)”

A bit mixed but I think it’s positive overall .
Old 2013-06-12, 13:56   Link #142
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Just saw it this morning.

If you want to see Superman being SUPERman, then this is the best Superman movie you can possibly watch in that regard. That was a weakness of Superman Returns I feel, in that while it does show Supes doing great stuff, it never shows it in quite a manner that makes you feel that there's tangible power behind it, whereas Man of Steel makes you feel every punch and every impact that only someone of Superman's caliber can withstand. It's also nice that despite the use of fast cuts and shifting camera angles, that the action is quite easy to follow, giving you time to appreciate just how powerful the combatants are.

If you try to watch this as a superHERO movie though, I think it's kinda lacking, and something that Returns does better imho. In Returns, Superman truly comes across as the noble savior that the world looks up to. While the sentiment is oft repeated in Man of Steel, it's only in the first half that this is true (and most of the time as Clark Kent), with most of the film showing Supes fighting against Zod's forces with seemingly nary a care for collateral damage. Hell, many of the human cast (especially the USAF) look more heroic in comparison, and while I think that was somewhat of the intention, I kinda wish Superman did more "heroic" stuff in his Superman costume than out of it, instead of engaging in anime-esque brawls crashing and smashing through buildings.

On the whole though, I quite like the way they remade the origin story in the way that Batman Begins does, i.e. showing how superheroes would exist in a world that takes their existence into consideration within the greater view of things, instead of just taking them for granted as something that's always been there asides from the initial shock.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 16:27   Link #143
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I kinda wish Superman did more "heroic" stuff in his Superman costume than out of it, instead of engaging in anime-esque brawls crashing and smashing through buildings.
Let's face it, it's basically his first time at the new job
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 16:46   Link #144
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Based on the reviews I've read for Man of Steel, I think that they overcompensated a bit for the flaws of Superman Returns.

One of the biggest flaws of Superman Returns was, frankly, that Superman didn't throw a punch the entire film (seriously, he didn't). That's frankly ridiculous for a modern movie involving a superhero that counts super-strength as one of his main powers. To a large degree, superhero movies are the new stand-in for the action-packed blockbusters of old, and Singer forgot that.

So what does Man of Steel have? Action galore! The freaking trailers have more Superman-in-combat than the entire Superman Returns movie did.

But from reading the reviews, I think they may have overdid a bit, bordering on Transformers-levels of overdone action.

Superman Returns had too much of Superman doing random good deeds (rescue a plane, stop that one insane guy with the gattling gun from killing police officers, keep casualty figures down to a minimum while Luthor's plan ravages Metropolis, etc...) and not enough of Superman fighting villains directly (again, he didn't throw a punch).

It sounds to me like Man of Steel might be the opposite.

Still, on the whole, and given what people look for in superhero movies, it's probably better to err on the side of combat than to err on the side of random good deeds. Hopefully one day they'll strike the perfect balance with a Superman movie.
Old 2013-06-12, 16:56   Link #145
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Let's face it, it's basically his first time at the new job
Well...

Clark (not Superman) had been going around his "help everyone" deed for most of his adulthood, so he's not a stranger to the concept (as shown by him in the oil rig and that schoolbus). As Superman however, he spent more time in the movie punching Zod and his cronies in the face, and the only people he saves are named characters. Kinda understandable in this case, but still

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's frankly ridiculous for a modern movie involving a superhero that counts super-strength as one of his main powers.
Well, super strength does manifest itself in Returns through Superman lifting to what amounts to a small island off the Earth

Quote:
But from reading the reviews, I think they may have overdid a bit, bordering on Transformers-levels of overdone action.
IMHO, while the amount of action in the film is staggering, the action is done much, much better than in Transformers. For one, you can actually tell what's happening.

Quote:
It sounds to me like Man of Steel might be the opposite.
This is actually how I feel about the entire endeavor. Man of Steel shores up the "Superman" angle, but kinda marginalizes the "Superhero", aka the "Boy Scout" aspect of Superman.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 20:58   Link #146
RobotCat
In a Box

It's now 63% on Rotten Tomatoes. I hope the critics are wrong.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 22:55   Link #147
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post
Some of the critics are just sick and tired of superhero movies in general, and Superman is now bearing the brunt of their burn-out. I think the days of superhero movies getting good critical reception might be behind us, as I'm starting to see movie critics truly display a resentment for this genre that has completely dominated Hollywood for awhile now.

However, certain criticisms are more specific to this particular movie, and there's a troubling consistency to them. If nothing else, I'm not expecting much out of the script any more...

I have to admit, it's a bit depressing for me. There's only two movies I'm emotionally invested in this year - Man of Steel, and the third Madoka movie. And right now, I don't feel confident about either of them.
Old 2013-06-13, 09:02   Link #148
james0246

Quote:
Some of the critics are just sick and tired of superhero movies in general, and Superman is now bearing the brunt of their burn-out. I think the days of superhero movies getting good critical reception might be behind us, as I'm starting to see movie critics truly display a resentment for this genre that has completely dominated Hollywood for awhile now.
I think it's more a case of extremely high expectations, and then when the film is released and it's generic, there is backlash. What was the point of all the very naturalistic almost Terrence Malick-esque early trailers if this is really just a standard summer tentpole action flick? It was great marketing, but if the end result doesn't live up to those highly artistic trailers, then there will undoubtedly be backlash.

I'm still going to see the film tomorrow, but I doubt I'm going to see it in Imax 3D (the trailers simply didn't pop enough to spend an additional 6 dollars a ticket just to see it on a better screen).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 11:38   Link #149
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Just watched the movie and here are my thoughts:

Clark's character arc was nicely portrayed, but the emotional struggle in the final fight could be done better.

This is probably the best incarnation of Zod in any medium, completely reestablished character with very well thought out motivations.

Lois is gutsy enough to not be a damsel in distress.

I haven't seen anyone as useful after death as Jor-El.

The explanation for entire Kyptonian and yellow sun relationship makes more sense than ever before.

Its the first time I've really felt gripped to my seat and almost gasping for air during fight scenes, I enjoyed it but it was almost too intense.

Also I don't know whether those critics who think there's no humour at all wwere paying attention to the movie.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 13:22   Link #150
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I watched Man of Steel to cap a long and rewarding day.

I'm too tired to go through the reviews and what others wrote.

My short review:
=================

It wasn't a bad movie.

I especially liked how it humanised Kal-El, making him a Clark Kent I could relate to like none other before.

(I would love to see a spin-off series of Clark Kent-the-shaggy-hobo-and-sometimes-superhero. I think there's a potential franchise there.)

General Zod made a superb villain. It was actually possible to sympathise with this version of Zod, in contrast with the more cartoonish incarnation of the character from Superman II. In some ways, he's a tragic anti-hero, in the mould of Heath Ledger's Joker.

Kevin Costner was surprisingly good too as Jonathan Kent.

The score was terrific, especially the track An Ideal of Hope.

But, ultimately? I think I preferred the trailers.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 13:26   Link #151
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
General Zod made a superb villain. It was actually possible to sympathise with him and his point of view. In some ways, he's a tragic anti-hero, in the vein of Heath Ledger's Joker.
Heath Ledger's Joker is an anti-hero now?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 09:42   Link #152
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally saw the movie.
Great and i like how it shows Krypton society and the motivation of General Zod in seeking Superman/Kal-El.

And the fights were awesome seeing Superman against the Zod's men.
Old 2013-06-14, 16:46   Link #153
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post
They are. I saw the film. I thought it was pretty good overall.

Superman Returns has a 76% overall approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yeah, enough said.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 19:54   Link #154
james0246

The 'Super' scenes were quite amazing (and no slo-mo sequences at all), easily the best adaptation of the scope and size of a comic book. But the 'Man' scenes often felt stilted and joyless, and that's not even discussing how little heroing there is in this superhero film. 70/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 22:28   Link #155
Alchemist007
*Author

I enjoyed it, more than I did the last Star Trek even. While there was good acting, I thought a lot of the movie had more of everyone REacting to the craziness going on around them (rightfully so). The childhood flashbacks weren't overdone but conveyed what they needed to.

Overall I'd say 9/10.
Old 2013-06-15, 19:54   Link #156
idont

Liked the movie overall.

Hate the shaky cam and the the CGI is crap at times.
idont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 20:07   Link #157
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I don't plan to watch this, but I do have a question: Could DC build the whole DC universe off this film? As in, is there room for other superheroes?
Old 2013-06-15, 20:19   Link #158
GDB

There's room, but only under the assumption that anyone but the likes of Batman and Green Arrow came after Superman. It makes a huge point out of Superman being the first "super" being, so even someone like the Flash or Green Lantern (whose movie now either cannot be part of the shared universe, or comes after Superman and Superman is a dick for not helping fight Parallax) couldn't be around yet.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 20:23   Link #159
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I don't plan to watch this,
Why don't you plan to watch this? You seemed very interested in the movie earlier on in this thread.
Old 2013-06-15, 20:35   Link #160
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Why don't you plan to watch this? You seemed very interested in the movie earlier on in this thread.
It's just that the reviews were mixed. I might impluse-purchase a ticket still, I just have other priorities right now..