Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-23, 05:05   Link #1201
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbito View Post
Hey, guess what? The first Moribito book is available for pre-order in ENGLISH (from Scholastic) on Amazon!
!

That's good news. I hope it turns out well.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 03:21   Link #1202
BladeStone

Summaries of books II, III, and IV (translated from Japan's Wikipedia):

Spoiler for Book I (for perspective):

Spoiler for Book II:

Spoiler for Book III:

Spoiler for Book IV:
BladeStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 16:42   Link #1203
narfan20

Seen this, great but not what you would call fantastic!
narfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 02:21   Link #1204
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
So I've finally watched all of this anime. There were many things about this anime that stood out:

1) This is the first anime I marathoned in a while, which says a lot since I prefer 13 episode anime and for a 26 episode anime to keep my interest until the end, well, it was very interesting.

2) I haven't enjoyed an anime like this since Nodame Cantabile, which is a really bad example because of conflicting genres. However, I haven't really been able to get into a "fantasy" anime, so props to this series for doing that.

3) It didn't just tell a story, it told a history, something that I've only seen Tolkien pull off. This is why in my eyes this anime is very valuable. I regret that I didn't watch this anime earlier. I thought most new anime aren't up to par as old ones, but this one proved me wrong.

Anyways, 9/10 for such an excellent anime. It made my day/week/season(?). Now, on to other anime that are popular that I haven't watched yet.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 05:03   Link #1205
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I finally got a chance to finish Seirei no Moribito, and while it's certainly quite good, I confess to liking it less than I wanted to. My main issues with it are that all the conflicts were resolved far too conveniently for my liking, and that the climax was man vs. squid. I sort of expected the show to be more of a matter of difficult decisions and gradually built up tension, but it certainly didn't end up that way. Heck, even the threat of drought was never built up with any sense of urgency.

Further thoughts:
- It's a shame that the show decided to be more of a fantasy piece than a wuxia show.
- I rather like the idea that there's no real villain in the show, but final conflicts (or more accurately, lack thereof) are unfulfilling.
- I think much more highly of the Emperor than many other viewers do. From his own perspective, his actions made a fair bit of sense, and I don't think that he's a villain at all.
- I'm rather surprised that everyone seemed to accept the overturning of the founding legend so lacksidasically. I had expected that there'd be at least a little upheaval when this sort of thing happens.
- The death of Sagum seems to be a bit on the self-serving side. The only purpose for it appears to be to make Chagum the crown prince. By the way, Sagum seems to be the only character who died (outside of flashbacks) in the course of the entire show.
- Chagum made the right choice in the end, but it was also the obvious decision given his position.
I just finished watching the anime this very moment and came to this forum to see how others felt...Alot seem to have enjoyed the anime, which I too have but I felt that what 4tran stated is really accurate. Some of the things you stated, it didnt even hit me till you mention while others I wouldnt have stated because I forgot....My main point of dislike about the anime is the fact that everything worked out too well in there favor. The truly fascinating part was the flashback episodes that showed up what happened in Balsa's past, which imo is the best episodes in the anime. The rest just went smoothly and there was no major conflicts...the decisions that Chagum made at the end was the only choice he could have made.
Another thing that it failed to explore on is the relationship between Balsa and Tanda. Balsa still never gave a clear answer to Tanda's confession...Another relationship I was interested in but might have been my imagination, the girl from Toumi Village x Chagum....I thought maybe something would have came of that...but I guess not.
ironbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 05:31   Link #1206
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbomb
The rest just went smoothly and there was no major conflicts...the decisions that Chagum made at the end was the only choice he could have made.
That's a fair point. Quite a number of us were underwhelmed by the concluding episodes -- their victory over the La Lunga seemed a little bit too easy, too convenient.

But balanced against the rest of what the series delivered, Seirei no Moribito by far remains my top anime for 2007.

Quote:
Another thing that it failed to explore on is the relationship between Balsa and Tanda. Balsa still never gave a clear answer to Tanda's confession...
I guess I'm one of the rare few who actually prefers it that way. It adds dramatic tension to the series -- "will they or won't they?" Since it hasn't been resolved, we can still debate the question to our hearts' content. That's fun.

It also underscores a recurring theme in the story. Bear in mind that Balsa never really got a straight answer from Jiguro, regarding why he decided to throw away his former life as a Hero of Kanbul, to save a life as insignificant as her's. She figured out the "answer" on her own, many years later, thanks to Chagum.

In the same way, we will probably never get a straight answer from Balsa regarding Tanda. You can tell that she is on the verge of saying "yes" to his marriage proposal, but something is holding her back. What might it be? You're free to speculate. I have my own guesses. Firstly, it's not that she doesn't love Tanda, but very possibly, she doesn't regard herself as a good wife, so she would rather not marry him.

Secondly, she is a warrior at heart, ready to lay down her life for any mission she takes on. That is her commitment to Jiguro and the eight warriors who died because of her. To Balsa, perhaps, it wouldn't be fair for Tanda to marry someone who could die at any moment, without warning. Perhaps she feels that it would be better that Tanda marries a normal, homely woman instead.

Thirdly, she probably feels that she has unfinished business. Based on the novels, she's on her way back to Kanbul at the moment to put things right, to clear the names of her father and Jiguro. When she's ready to settle down, maybe then, she'll return to Tanda. And if Tanda's already married by then, she'll let it be. She's not the kind of person who regrets her actions.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 10:33   Link #1207
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbomb View Post
The rest just went smoothly and there was no major conflicts...
Huh? The fights to the death with the palace assasins, Balsa's old nemisis, and the La Lunga were not "major" conflicts?

Quote:
the decisions that Chagum made at the end was the only choice he could have made.
I think that was kind of the point. From the moment his older brother died, Chagum no longer had a choice of how to live his life; eventually had to return to the castle as the new crown prince. Duty over personal desires is still a common theme in Japanese literature and movies.

Quote:
Another thing that it failed to explore on is the relationship between Balsa and Tanda.
That was the thing I missed the most, but since the TV series only covered the first book of the 10(?) volume story so far, I expect that is a subplot that will not get resolved until the very end.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-10, 13:47   Link #1208
ironbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
That's a fair point. Quite a number of us were underwhelmed by the concluding episodes -- their victory over the La Lunga seemed a little bit too easy, too convenient.

But balanced against the rest of what the series delivered, Seirei no Moribito by far remains my top anime for 2007.
Definitely my top3, not really sure if I would say #1 of 07...Personally I felt Ef-A tale of memories was better but then again it is a totally different anime that share no similarities with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyredleaf
I guess I'm one of the rare few who actually prefers it that way. It adds dramatic tension to the series -- "will they or won't they?" Since it hasn't been resolved, we can still debate the question to our hearts' content. That's fun.

It also underscores a recurring theme in the story. Bear in mind that Balsa never really got a straight answer from Jiguro, regarding why he decided to throw away his former life as a Hero of Kanbul, to save a life as insignificant as her's. She figured out the "answer" on her own, many years later, thanks to Chagum.

In the same way, we will probably never get a straight answer from Balsa regarding Tanda. You can tell that she is on the verge of saying "yes" to his marriage proposal, but something is holding her back. What might it be? You're free to speculate. I have my own guesses. Firstly, it's not that she doesn't love Tanda, but very possibly, she doesn't regard herself as a good wife, so she would rather not marry him.

Secondly, she is a warrior at heart, ready to lay down her life for any mission she takes on. That is her commitment to Jiguro and the eight warriors who died because of her. To Balsa, perhaps, it wouldn't be fair for Tanda to marry someone who could die at any moment, without warning. Perhaps she feels that it would be better that Tanda marries a normal, homely woman instead.

Thirdly, she probably feels that she has unfinished business. Based on the novels, she's on her way back to Kanbul at the moment to put things right, to clear the names of her father and Jiguro. When she's ready to settle down, maybe then, she'll return to Tanda. And if Tanda's already married by then, she'll let it be. She's not the kind of person who regrets her actions.
You listed some good points and I have nothing to argue against them. Actually I agree with the points you stated but just did not like the fact that the relationship was left unresolved...She knows that Tanda is gonna be waiting for her, he been waiting since the first day they met -_-;.
I havent read the novels yet but read a spoiler that she does return to her homeland and like you stated, clear his family/Jiguro's name but a simple reply or at least opening up to Tanda wouldnt have hurt...I thought they would have ended up together after the scene where Chagum told Tanda to just sleep with her...she had that expression on her face where she accepted and wanted to live this peaceful life....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Huh? The fights to the death with the palace assasins, Balsa's old nemisis, and the La Lunga were not "major" conflicts?
They didnt put it out like its anything serious...at least I didnt feel an urge of importantance since everything just flowed like the river....I liked the conflicted of Balsa's pass(Jiguro's arc) the most in the whole series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
That was the thing I missed the most, but since the TV series only covered the first book of the 10(?) volume story so far, I expect that is a subplot that will not get resolved until the very end.
Sequel anyone ^^?
Old 2008-01-10, 17:11   Link #1209
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I havent read the novels yet but read a spoiler that she does return to her homeland and like you stated, clear his family/Jiguro's name but a simple reply or at least opening up to Tanda wouldnt have hurt...I thought they would have ended up together after the scene where Chagum told Tanda to just sleep with her...she had that expression on her face where she accepted and wanted to live this peaceful life....
That part of the story isn't even the final book. Second or third... I'm not sure to be honest. From what I can tell, the turning point of their relationship takes place in the very last book, so it's going to be a very long time before a major resolution (or something) will happen.

As of now, it's understandable why the idea of settling down hasn't taken root in Balsa's mind. She has pondered about it for sure, and perhaps wishes that she could, but there are just too many things going on, which makes the whole prospect uncertain and complicated.
Old 2008-01-10, 18:21   Link #1210
ironbomb

hmm..I was just thinking, in the anime have Balsa ever mentioned of going back and clearing her family name/the actions Jiguro done? I dont recall she thinking about it once...
Old 2008-01-10, 23:37   Link #1211
golthin

Quote:

I agree completely with your observations. there is not doubt that Balsa is very fond of Tanda and I was surprised when she parted ways. I wonder if Tanda will wait for her, he was getting already marriages proposals and Toragai was trying to entice balsa by mentioning it to her.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 19:14   Link #1212
itis

Quote:
hmm..I was just thinking, in the anime have Balsa ever mentioned of going back and clearing her family name/the actions Jiguro done? I dont recall she thinking about it once...
That happens in the second book. The anime is based on the first book.
itis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 04:39   Link #1213
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf
We will probably never get a straight answer from Balsa regarding Tanda. You can tell that she is on the verge of saying "yes" to his marriage proposal, but something is holding her back. What might it be? You're free to speculate. I have my own guesses.
Well, well, well. I've been re-watching the series, and another thought just occured to me. And I think this may well be the strongest reason yet why Balsa refuses to marry Tanda.

The hint comes from Episode 5:
Quote:
@22:00 - Tanda paced into the hut. His face is black with anger. In the distance, the sound of hoofbeats, as the slave traders from the Blue Hand ride away.

Balsa: You look like you have something to say.

Tanda: No. I was just thinking that you're as impressive as usual.

Balsa: Hm?

Tanda: You've always been able to get things done on your own. But...

He pauses.

Tanda: ...At least ask for help in times like these!

Balsa does not answer. She watches intently as Tanda storms out.
It's pride. Balsa understands perfectly that Tanda cannot possibly make her his wife - by marrying her, a part of him will never be able to accept the person she truly is.

Nice guy though he may be, Tanda is simply not the right man to tame this tiger. If Balsa were ever to fall in love, it will most probably be to another warrior. A far superior warrior than she is. Someone in the same mould, perhaps, as Jiguro.
Old 2008-01-26, 09:54   Link #1214
mdauben

Quote:
It's pride. Balsa understands perfectly that Tanda cannot possibly make her his wife - by marrying her, a part of him will never be able to accept the person she truly is.
Personally, I thought that scene reflected a shortcoming in Balsa's personality, rather than Tanada's. Her life has made her such a loaner, that she can't bring herself to rely on anyone else. Not even someone whom she knows cares about her (and whom I think, deep down, she cares about, too). Its not that she does not respect Tanada because he isn't a warrior like herself, its that she can't open herself up to anyone, not even him.

Just my opinion, of course.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 10:27   Link #1215
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I agree with mdauben. It's not like Tanda can't accept that Balsa is strong, or that Balsa would have unreasonable standards such as wanting a guy stronger than her. (How many such men are there? She totally kicked the ass of the emperors' best soldiers, single-handedly.)

She's just very bad at asking for help. At not being self-reliant. And Tanda was angry because it makes him scared that one day, when she most needs help, she'll be unable to seek it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 11:22   Link #1216
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
Her life has made her such a loaner, that she can't bring herself to rely on anyone else.
That is a possibility. But putting myself in Balsa's shoes, I am vividly reminded of a bad quarrel I had with an ex-girlfriend. The situation was very similar — I couldn't get over the fact that she had got to a point where she didn't need my help anymore. I was jealous. More importantly, my male pride was badly hurt. We broke up. It was a clear-cut case of "it's me, not her."

I'm afraid it's the same for Tanda and Balsa. Throughout the show, you can find instances of how Tanda tries to assert his masculinity.

Quote:
Ep6 @13:35
Tanda: Even I know that it's a man's job to protect women.

Ep6 @22:24
Tanda: I can only wait. I feel like the wife of some warrior.
But Balsa was only being practical — honestly, what could Tanda have done to help her at the time? He would only have been a burden.

Quote:
Ep22 @16:45
Tanda: These life-or-death situations must be your life's blood.

Balsa is quiet. She is on the verge of saying something, but hesitates.

Balsa: I don't know what to do about it. Do you have any good cures for that?

Tanda turns away.

Tanda: If you can't think of me as the "cure" itself, then I guess there's no point in my waiting.
That, to me, is the key point — Tanda believes that he can "cure" Balsa's wild ways. But Balsa has been a tomboy all her life. That's her nature. It's not something she can change, as she reluctantly admits. It's Tanda who needs to change. He needs to accept Balsa for who she is, and he needs to let go of his male pride.

If he can't do both, then there is no point in them becoming a couple. They'd eventually break up over irreconcilable differences. I suspect Balsa knows this a lot better than Tanda.

I think this is an angle worth considering very strongly. After all, gender role reversal is one of the major themes of this show — Balsa is a fatherly woman, Tanda is a motherly man, while Chagum was their pregnant "son". This probably reflects current trends, where Japanese women increasingly choose career over marriage, usurping roles traditionally reserved for Japanese men. Many Japanese men still find it difficult to adjust to this trend. Imagine how hard it might be for the women?

Balsa probably feels something similar, with regards to her relationship to Tanda.
Old 2008-01-26, 11:30   Link #1217
kujoe
from head to heel

If anything, it's Tanda who's more prepared to commit and settle down with her. In fact, with that mindset he could've searched for other prospects, but his heart is still set with Balsa. Balsa is simply not ready for that kind of lifestyle.

I don't think it has anything to do with "taming" anyone. Tanda already understands Balsa's personality and vice versa, but circumstances are making things more complicated. The final novel brings their subplot to a close, and if I'm not mistaken...

Spoiler:
Old 2008-01-27, 00:42   Link #1218
mdauben

Quote:
That, to me, is the key point — Tanda believes that he can "cure" Balsa's wild ways. But Balsa has been a tomboy all her life. That's her nature. It's not something she can change, as she reluctantly admits. It's Tanda who needs to change. He needs to accept Balsa for who she is, and he needs to let go of his male pride.
I guess it's just the point of view we bring to the show, but I see that as just supporting my previous opinion. Balsa's issues go way beyond being a "tomboy", the hard life she has led, where not only her father, but her surrogate father both died violent deaths to protect her, where she had to rely on herself and her own skills to live for so many years, has left her ill-suited to a normal relationship. After all, every one she has ever been close to died, so she resists getting close to anyone else so that she won't have to face that same heartbreak again.

Tanda does not need to cure her of being a "tomboy" he needs to cure her of being unable to rely on other people, and cure her inability to open herself to others emotionally.

Quote:
If he can't do both, then there is no point in them becoming a couple. They'd eventually break up over irreconcilable differences. I suspect Balsa knows this a lot better than Tanda.
On the contrary, it seems obvious to me that (unless one or the other of them dies first) they are going to end up together by the end of the novel series. It seems so obvious to me that Balsa does indeed care for him, she just can't bring herself to commit to a relationship.

Quote:
Tanda is a motherly man,
Just on a somewhat divergent track, I really liked the way this was done in the anime. Tanda definetly filled the "female" role of the couple, yet he was never portrayed as gay or feminine. He was still a man, just not a warrior.
Old 2008-02-07, 02:56   Link #1219
Moonbase

I'm going to agree with all the people that support the lack of drama, even if it did result in a lack of tension in most of the anime (except near the end when it picked up but even that was resolved fairly non-dramatically). I think this greatly enhanced the anime and the consistant "mellow" mood worked fine with the story. It was a completely self-contained story told from beginning to end in regards to plot and characters (as I believe Tanda and Balsa do eventually settle down) that was a joy to watch. I'm only sad that I never found this until this year.
Moonbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 01:29   Link #1220
Westlo
Lets be reality

Looks like Mediablasters license rescued this from Geneon.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.