AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 85 29.41%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-07, 00:06   Link #481
fireinice

pfft,now,you,guys,know,how,Nagato,feels,to,repeat, those,loops.
Damn,annoying,eh.
Old 2009-07-07, 01:08   Link #482
Animexcel

How about this time..

-Yuki let's Kyon buy her a mask.
-Haruhi asks Yuki "What's up with the mask?"
-"Kyon bought it for me."

HARUHI RAGE!!!!!
Old 2009-07-07, 01:24   Link #483
Launch
Bug Catcher

I won't repeat what many (MANY) people have said already- most people's opinions on this are the same as mine: not the best.

However, after watching it again (and then again the next day haha), it really isn't that bad. I do think it should have given us something new (I was half-hoping that Mikuru wouldn't suggest goldfish scooping, just to mix it up).

Oh well, if that list that Shizzon posted is correct it won't be so bad. I'm actually looking forward to Sighs. Just can't wait until this "arc" is over.
Old 2009-07-07, 01:34   Link #484
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe there will be an intended side effect to having a long Endless Eight arc. People will actually enjoy Sighs more because it isn't more Endless Eight.
Old 2009-07-07, 01:36   Link #485
OkamiNoKaze

I'm looking forward to seeing how they made the Mikuru movie, I've heard a few things, but have largely stayed away from too many spoilers of that story.
Old 2009-07-07, 01:43   Link #486
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how they made the Mikuru movie, I've heard a few things, but have largely stayed away from too many spoilers of that story.
They're doing that this season? More bunnygirl action
Old 2009-07-07, 02:18   Link #487
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

People have been asking about that cat since the series started...and up until now, aside from that one incident...nothing.

Soon....very soon, that will change.
Old 2009-07-07, 05:42   Link #488
Dop
Mmmm....

One thing I've actually enjoyed about this arc is how while the first part was all 'happy fun summer', in the second part they started to introduce a more unsettled tone, which in this third part was increasingly ominous.
Still hope it gets resolved in the next episode, though...!
Old 2009-07-07, 06:56   Link #489
OkamiNoKaze

I think four times through seems to be standard for this kind of story, thinking about shows that have done this before. though usually it's all in one episode rather then strethced to 4 episodes
Old 2009-07-07, 10:53   Link #490
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Auuu~ Have watched the 4th episode, and I have the feeling that this is the worst episode so far... it's almost a complete rehash of Episode 3. I know that summer supposed to repeat in Endless Eight and they want to make it so it repeat until they solve the mystery, but is it really necessary to have 3 episodes of the same story. I rather have them complete it in two episodes.

Because of the repeating of the same thing, I didn't enjoy it that much... and I cannot give it a high rating, so I give it a 6.5/10 which is a 7/10..... I should have give it a 5/10 since it's worse than expected... but I can't change my vote now.

Hopefully the rest of the season don't come out like this episode.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-07-07 at 18:46.
Old 2009-07-07, 11:40   Link #491
StRyKeR

I do agree that I had the strongest urge to just fast-forward through the latest ep, but I did get something new out of the episode.

I am inclined to think that many of you are missing realizations you could be making had you suspended your beliefs that this episode was a KyoAni epic troll. The first two times in Endless Eight, I had different ideas about what Kyon should do and why the world keeps repeating this way. By the third time I saw the episode, I learned something about his character. He simply does not like taking the initiative, wanting the "other me" take care of the situation.

Maybe this realization could have come as a result of me simply rewatching episodes (rewatch appeal) rather than being forced to rewatch. Nevertheless, I do find some artistic appeal to it and that I got something new out of it. Maybe later on other people will realize small foreshadowings / differences among these episodes and it will no longer be treated as an epic troll attempt by KyoAni.
Old 2009-07-07, 11:54   Link #492
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Kyon's lack of initiative is a big part of his character. He's probably the most assertive person around Haruhi, but that's not saying very much. You have Mikuru, who's actively bullied by Haruhi, Itsuki, the consummate yes-man, Yuki, the observer, and Kyon. He's the guy who occasionally reels Haruhi in when she becomes too troublesome, and avoids confrontation with her most of the time because... it's too troublesome.

So yeah, it is frustrating to watch him flounder around, being unable to find the right words. But that's just who he is.

Of course, I can't blame the SOS Brigade for being so submissive to Haruhi. Haruhi is a siren. I think we're all in her thrall.
Old 2009-07-07, 12:22   Link #493
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltakatei View Post
XD Okay, for some odd quirk of my personality, I am rating this a 10/10. The previous episodes were rated as "meh" and "kinda cool". But for a studio to have the balls to go through with airing 4 episodes on nearly the exact. same. plot..... this is probably a first in anime history. It's a very odd first, but a first nonetheless.

Spoiler for Edit: Oh, and reaction form 2 chan is as expected::

"Ha?"
"eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
"ueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"
(etc.)
Exactly, this deserves my 10 for being very ballsy indeed.
Old 2009-07-07, 12:27   Link #494
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Man, we should have a poll asking whether people are going to drop this because of the latest episode, and whether they would drop it if they did another iteration of Endless Eight with no solution in sight.

While I might be wrong, I have a feeling that despite the bad ratings this episode has garnered, the very same people who don't think this particular episode being stellar would still keep on watching the series.

See, that's thing. Something like this tries to make the audience feel what the characters are feeling. But on the otherhand, if they do this 'wrong', they would actually alienate the audience and lose them as a result. But considering not one poster here has mentioned they're dropping the series altogether, while all the while Kyoani/Kadokawa has succeeded in letting them feel the 'pain', might I daresay... mission accomplished?
Old 2009-07-07, 12:33   Link #495
Voitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I think four times through seems to be standard for this kind of story, thinking about shows that have done this before. though usually it's all in one episode rather then strethced to 4 episodes
o_O

A bit contradictory there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157
I know that summer supposed to repeat in Endless Eight and they want to make it so it repeat until they solve the mystery, but is it really necessary to have 3 episodes of the same story.
To be fair, it's two episodes that are similar.

The first episode was our standard slice-of-life mundane life story.

The next one was our Twilight Zone episode about things repeating.

The third episode was the only one to copy the previous episode's development.
Old 2009-07-07, 12:40   Link #496
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not really. However most shows that do follow the four loops during a single episode are hour long shows rather than half-hour shows. Also they tend to show a much smaller period of time/events.

On the other hand you have Higurashi (and I suppose Umineko) that take this out even farther while still grouping in fours (sort of). Take a loop out to four episodes and then start "repeating".

With four episodes of Endless Eight, you'd have what would basically be an animated movie length production...90 minutes.
Old 2009-07-07, 13:49   Link #497
gunshottrigun
Crazy Shrine Maiden

Send a message via AIM to gunshottrigun Send a message via MSN to gunshottrigun Send a message via Yahoo to gunshottrigun
I'm surprised I keep watching the endless eight episodes, I find them so boring.
Old 2009-07-07, 14:01   Link #498
Dakota
disregard that (″°-°)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshottrigun View Post
I'm surprised I keep watching the endless eight episodes, I find them so boring.
Same. I keep watching all E8 2+3 over and over. Why am I doing this?
Old 2009-07-07, 14:49   Link #499
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Are you playing a version of "Spot the Differences"? Or are you looking for Waldo?
Old 2009-07-07, 14:57   Link #500
Kristen
*Author

I'm gonna go with the majority here. This is getting ridiculous. Repeating the plot without adding anything new or major is just too much. Sorry, Kyoani, I don't agree with you.