AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-04-08, 01:13   Link #221
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
To adults with decades of life experience, Nodame Cantabile or Hataraki Man (trendy dramas aimed at the 20-30 year old crowd) may already be a compromise. The viewers are far removed from the target audience, and they may not identify too strongly with the characters. However, there's just enough sophistication to pique their interest.
Indeed. I watched both those shows when I was in my fifties, and you'll see icons for both of them in my signature. I hadn't watched a lot of anime at that point so part of the enjoyment was the exposure to a different culture. This was especially true of Hataraki Man, where so many patriarchal norms were on display. The contrast with contemporary America was pretty sharp. Nodame was just a joy to watch from start to finish because I've always liked classical music, and because I found the dedication of the characters to their craft quite uplifting. It was also quite funny at times, too.

I find Hyouge Mono satisfying for similar reasons. I've learned a lot about the Sengoku period, and the entire warrior-as-esthete theme was entirely new to me. Watching that show is a bit like watching a film like Kagemusha. Most of the shows I've found most appealing are ones which give me an insight into Japanese history or culture. Even something as wacky as Oh! Edo Rocket had such rewards, along with being hysterically funny and slyly satirical as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 01:38   Link #222
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I like jazz.
Fair enough

The only reason I was a bit insistant is that you've mentioned other shows with highschool settings, but yes I'm not going to pretend that Chihayafuru is something like Hyouge Mono (which I also enjoy).
So I understand your point.
Old 2012-04-08, 03:47   Link #223
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I like jazz.

I feel like I'm being brow-beaten over my decision not to watch Chihayafuru. I'll try it again, I promise.
If it influences you at all, I love Chihayafuru unreservedly. And it has some very good adult characters, too. If you liked HnG, I think this is a really good fit.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 06:39   Link #224
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
It's hard to say. Regardless of execution, I struggle to become interested in shows aimed at little kids (and reminiscence would be my reason for watching high school themed shows, but most people I know have little interest in revisiting those years time and again), so I can understand why someone's eyes might glaze over when watching Chihayafuru. For variety, a handful of teen-oriented shows may be fine, but there comes a point when enough is enough. The themes are just too trite and juvenile.
You quoted me for some reason about the comment about watching High School kids but I just want to point out that wasn't me.

However I will say very much I also would love more adults in anime (we especially need more adult female characters).

That being said I personally don't have as much of a problem with stories about kids though because I've always had a thing for growing up & coming of age stories. I just love the themes of these stories.

In the end what matters most to me is whether the story is well told and the characters well developed. I think Chihayafuru has that in spades.
Old 2012-04-13, 11:55   Link #225
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just for the record: NoitaminA is BACK, Baby.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:08   Link #226
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Fuck Yea.

/brofists noitamina fans.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 13:12   Link #227
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Oh, how I've been waiting. Two good shows! Two!
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-27, 15:06   Link #228
totoum
Me at work

Question:noitamina starts at 00:45 am this season,has it always aired this late?
In my mind it was more of an 11PM timeslot,did I just have the wrong idea?
Old 2012-04-27, 15:23   Link #229
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Question:noitamina starts at 00:45 am this season,has it always aired this late?
Pretty much. At the very beginning, it was a 00:35 timeslot (up to Ayakashi - Japanese Classic Horror, summer '06), then it moved to 00:45 with Jyu Oh Sei.
Old 2012-05-18, 10:27   Link #230
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

From the ratings thread:
Quote:
I wonder if it wasn't a strategic mistake to run Apollon first. Tsuritama is certainly weird, but I think it actually has a broader appeal than the moodier show before it. I know Apollon had all the Watanabe-Kanno hype, but to be honest, that might matter more outside Japan than it does with the contemporary domestic anime audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
I don't think it was necessarily a bad gamble to have Apollon as the first batter. It wasn't only promoted with the Watanabe/Kanno angle, but also quite a few times as the "return of a music show on noitaminA, after Nodame Cantabile".
If I had started watching with the expectation of seeing another Nodame Cantabile, I'd have been very disappointed. Sakamichi no Apollon isn't anywhere near as humorous, doesn't have a dashing male protagonist like Chiaki, and is based on a musical genre which I suspect is more foreign to Japanese viewers than classical. Not having young adults as the characters, along with Sentarou's propensity for fisticuffs, might have discouraged some viewers as well.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-26 at 12:13.
Old 2012-05-18, 11:50   Link #231
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I dunno, I think it's very likely jazz is currently more popular in Japan than the US. When I've traveled there I've seen jazz everywhere - hotel bars, clubs, concert listings... The Japanese have contributed many legends to jazz over the years, and I think have a real connection to it. I don't think that's the problem.

If you look at the two NoitaminA shows this time, I think what you see is two superlatively good series with no moe, no yuri and modest presence by teenaged girls. NoitaminA or no, I think that's the real problem.
Old 2012-05-18, 13:26   Link #232
HosannaExcelsis

Quote:
I dunno, I think it's very likely jazz is currently more popular in Japan than the US. When I've traveled there I've seen jazz everywhere - hotel bars, clubs, concert listings... The Japanese have contributed many legends to jazz over the years, and I think have a real connection to it. I don't think that's the problem.

If you look at the two NoitaminA shows this time, I think what you see is two superlatively good series with no moe, no yuri and modest presence by teenaged girls. NoitaminA or no, I think that's the real problem.
Er, moe and yuri aren't going to lead to a hit in ratings. You can only achieve that by appealing beyond the otaku niche to a mainstream audience. It's a completely different playing field from disc sales. Look at Kaiji S2 - it didn't sell on DVD, but it was one of, if not the highest-rated late-night show last year, because it was a part of a beloved franchise with general appeal and had the tie-in with the live-action film.

I think Moyashimon Returns, being a sequel to one of noitamina's biggest hits, has a strong chance of pulling viewers back in. Of course, that might be meaningless in the long term since it and Natsuyuki are being followed up by Robotics;Notes and Psychopass, which look to followup the direction the time-slot went with Guilty Crown instead of the return to its old ways that the spring and summer lineups are. I can't understand what the producer's long-term strategy for noitamina is.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 15:38   Link #233
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Despite the thread title, I think Seiji was talking about BD/DVD sales more than ratings.
Old 2012-05-18, 19:53   Link #234
HosannaExcelsis

Quote:
Despite the thread title, I think Seiji was talking about BD/DVD sales more than ratings.
I thought this discussion was about the poor ratings of the current noitamina block - that's certainly what Katapan was talking about, and I assumed everyone else was following that. We don't know what the sales will be yet.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 22:37   Link #235
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
I thought this discussion was about the poor ratings of the current noitamina block - that's certainly what Katapan was talking about, and I assumed everyone else was following that. We don't know what the sales will be yet.
Yes, I was talking about those sad combined ratings under 2.0 for episodes five and six. The Apollon/Tsuritama pairing tied for the second strongest opening episode of the shows in Katapan's table, exceeded only by the live-action Moyashimon remake. So the pair got off to a promising start by contemporary noitaminA standards but have fallen below the mid-season average. This pair of shows has pretty consistently lost audience each week, while most noitaminA shows fluctuate around their average by mid-season. For comparison, I've included the most successful pairing, that of [C] and AnoHana.

Images
Large Chart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Edit: I revised the chart to put all the series on an eleven-episode basis. The pair of Tatami Galaxy and Saraiya Goyou had twelve episodes, but episodes 10 and 11 both drew a rating of 2.3. So I eliminated the week eleven rating for this pair and attributed week twelve's rating to week eleven, thus treating all the final episodes equivalently. I then numbered each show's episodes serially from one ignoring any skipped weeks.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-19 at 19:41.
Old 2012-05-19, 01:13   Link #236
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What a depressing chart. Apart from the AnoHana portion.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:10   Link #237
cyth
Banned

Considering the market is shifting directions, I don't give much attention to ratings these days. At least for Tsuritama, changes in tourist numbers on Enoshima would be a far more interesting statistic.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 02:10   Link #238
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
What a depressing chart. Apart from the AnoHana portion.
Though if I remember correctly C had higher ratings than Ano Hana.
Old 2012-05-19, 02:53   Link #239
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Though if I remember correctly C had higher ratings than Ano Hana.
It aired first, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the shows that aired first had higher ratings since the 2 show format.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-19, 04:18   Link #240
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
It has been bugging me for some time now... why do so many of you care so much about the TV ratings of Noitamina anime? I mean the productions themselves are limited by being forced to appeal to mainstream audiences, weird scheduling, and exclusion of the primary anime fanbase... The few zones from the zone that liked (Honey & Clover, Shiki, BRS, Ano Hana), could have been much better IMHO, and definitely return more money if they did not have these limitations.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote