AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-01, 23:03   Link #6321
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
I would like to put my thoughts on this incident.

The problem with animals who are put into captivity is in some cases, they can become violent. If you take pitbulls for example, they are known to violently attack people and cause injury.

In the case of this incident, I'm not surprised because that killer whale had killed two trainers in the past and he was allowed to stay. The question is, do we release him? You know that there are consequences if that were to happen because he won't be able to survive since he lived in captivity for over 25 years and he simply doesn't have the instincts to survive in the wild. Another con to keeping him at Seaworld is that he can potentially kill another trainer like he did in the past, so in both possible outcomes, it's a big lose lose situation.

My suggestion is probably not use him for shows and put him in a bigger pool, but I just don't know... I'm pretty much neutral on this situation.
Old 2010-03-02, 01:18   Link #6322
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Earth Days could be shorter after Chilean Earthquake

Quote:
THE earthquake that has killed over 700 Chileans and displaced over two million more has now caused our days to be shorter.

The earthquake that struck Chile measured at an 8.8 magnitude and put the entire Pacific on tsunami alert.

But scientists say the shifting in the tectonic plates has also shifted the Earth's axis.

The Earth’s overall mass distribution has likely been altered which has made the length of a day 1.26 microseconds shorter, NASA scientists say.
Wow, science...
Old 2010-03-02, 07:46   Link #6323
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Wow, science...
It's the best at giving us useless information sometimes
Old 2010-03-02, 09:20   Link #6324
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

'Red Knights' plan Manchester United takeover bid
Old 2010-03-02, 09:27   Link #6325
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Wow, science...
NASA additionally said a 0.1 millisecond change in the rotation angle represents an error of 1.6 kilometers in the distance to Mars.

So they got a fair amount of calibration to do with all their probes in space...

Old 2010-03-02, 09:44   Link #6326
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
NASA additionally said a 0.1 millisecond change in the rotation angle represents an error of 1.6 kilometers in the distance to Mars.

So they got a fair amount of calibration to do with all their probes in space...
Only our outward looking satellites like the Hubble Space Telescope.....those in geosynchronous orbit aren't affected.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-02, 09:50   Link #6327
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I stand corrected then. I guess the translated article didn't have all the info.

Old 2010-03-02, 10:31   Link #6328
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Falkland War II Incoming? Really, hasn't Argentina learned their lesson about trying to take the islands? I mean, the British took them back quite nicely last time, so I do think that, if push comes to shove, I think that the Brits will do the same again, with fewer Briton casualties.
It's a bluff--things are pretty heavy right now when it comes to the political atmosphere here so some sort of decoy to misguide the stupidly nationalistic public opinion is an obvious choice. It's probably a two-sided bluff since there's no way in fucking hell the Brits don't know about the Kirchners' intentions in this.

The real problem is not the oil reserves in the Falklands' EEZ, it's the oil reserves within our EEZ. I'm pretty sure that by the end of this "conflict" they'll end up making a deal with the Brits that allows them to also exploit those oil reserves. And, of course, the people in this country will never see the money from that deal.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2010-03-02, 12:32   Link #6329
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
It's a bluff--things are pretty heavy right now when it comes to the political atmosphere here so some sort of decoy to misguide the stupidly nationalistic public opinion is an obvious choice. It's probably a two-sided bluff since there's no way in fucking hell the Brits don't know about the Kirchners' intentions in this.
Reading up on the two sides military capabilities, this isn't so subtle. Argentina hasn't exactly invested allot in modernizing their military ever since you kicked them out of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The real problem is not the oil reserves in the Falklands' EEZ, it's the oil reserves within our EEZ. I'm pretty sure that by the end of this "conflict" they'll end up making a deal with the Brits that allows them to also exploit those oil reserves. And, of course, the people in this country will never see the money from that deal.
So the Argentinian government is raising a big stink because they want the British to develop the oil reserves outside the Falklands waters? That seems like a...bit of a round about way of doing things.

Also, didn't England and Argentina have some kind of profit sharing agreement for any oil drilled for in the Falklands EEZ? I've only heard little tid bits about it, but it seemed like a pretty generous agreement coming from two parties that believed the other had absolutely no right to be on the real estate in question. But the Argentinians backed out of it.
Old 2010-03-02, 12:40   Link #6330
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
I stand corrected then. I guess the translated article didn't have all the info.
Actually I was quoting from my Physics knowledge and analysis, because geosynchronous satellites will always be pointing at the place they are over unless there is a change in Earth's gravitational or magnetic field. I should be the one waiting to be stand corrected.

Since the off is 6.8 microseconds per day, it would take approximately 147058.8 days (or so I have calculated) to result in a 1 second delay in all of our timing systems, which is around 400 years.

I love the scientists and mathematicians who come up with this interesting fact, and hate the media that seeks to exaggerate it in order to generate viewership.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-03-02, 12:49   Link #6331
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually I was quoting from my Physics knowledge and analysis, because geosynchronous satellites will always be pointing at the place they are over unless there is a change in Earth's gravitational or magnetic field. I should be the one waiting to be stand corrected.

Since the off is 6.8 microseconds per day, it would take approximately 147058.8 days (or so I have calculated) to result in a 1 second delay in all of our timing systems, which is around 400 years.

I love the scientists and mathematicians who come up with this interesting fact, and hate the media that seeks to exaggerate it in order to generate viewership.
And I should check my sources anyway. The Swedish article had info the original one NASA released didn't...

Very interesting info though, thanks for that.

Old 2010-03-02, 14:23   Link #6332
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Actually in this event the axis would have tilted too, which in turn does affect geo stationary satelites (and non geo stationary one's too).

However, this is completely unscientific and pure specualtion (like basically all "simulations" that are based on just a little data). The tension that made the earthquake happen, was build up by drifts in the molten earth's mantle. Since the crust is floating on liquids any change in the balance of mass distribution of the earth is very fast counterbalanced by a realignment of molten matter in the mantle.
The thin crust has next to nil significance considering earth's mass as a whole. And the little influence it has is by far outpaced by the dynamics in the mantle. I mean, it requires energy to make earth thinner/lighter at the equator and shift those masses to the poles and make earth spin faster. This energy however is generated by drifts in the mantle. Should earth try to speed up, the molten matter will shift more in the equatorial regions, which brings more mass in those regions (slightly elevating them - maybe some micrometers). This however will immediately stop any speed up of rotation. It is rather counter intuitive to belief earth would speed up, when the inherent dynamic system just has to rebalance masses (what is more likely?).
Old 2010-03-02, 14:39   Link #6333
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
In the end, who's going to notice? As SaintessHeart already pointed out, it'll take another 400 years for even a second's discrepancy to be noted. And therefore another 24,000 years before a minute is displaced. There is no way we are ever going to have to adjust. Our descendants so many years down might, but not us. Nobody's going to wake up and say "Ugh, I got 1.6milliseconds less sleep", nobody's going to notice the second slip 400 years later (assuming the So-called 2012 isn't true), and nobody will even notice the minute 24,000 years later.
Old 2010-03-02, 19:38   Link #6334
JMvS
Rawrrr!

And anyway there will be plenty earthquakes of similar magnitude in the meanwhile.
Old 2010-03-02, 23:54   Link #6335
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
In the end, who's going to notice? As SaintessHeart already pointed out, it'll take another 400 years for even a second's discrepancy to be noted. And therefore another 24,000 years before a minute is displaced. There is no way we are ever going to have to adjust. Our descendants so many years down might, but not us. Nobody's going to wake up and say "Ugh, I got 1.6milliseconds less sleep", nobody's going to notice the second slip 400 years later (assuming the So-called 2012 isn't true), and nobody will even notice the minute 24,000 years later.
Its more important when you're using maps, GPS, and other systems that rely on pinpoint accuracy. Rather like relativity is only important at the extremes... a few inches off because of time measurement can mean catastrophe in certain activities.
Old 2010-03-03, 00:42   Link #6336
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its more important when you're using maps, GPS, and other systems that rely on pinpoint accuracy. Rather like relativity is only important at the extremes... a few inches off because of time measurement can mean catastrophe in certain activities.
Are civilian models of GPS devices still built so that a user would not get pinpoint accuracy? The older models, if I remember correctly, were only accurate up to a few meters.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
Old 2010-03-03, 01:35   Link #6337
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh... I'd actually forgotten about that "3 meter" nonsense for civilian use. DO they still do that anymore?
Old 2010-03-03, 01:55   Link #6338
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

When 2ch goes down, the FBI goes to work! (NSFW)
Old 2010-03-03, 02:10   Link #6339
Armored Knight

Who relies on GPS "accurately" anyway? A few metres won't hurt, really. Knowing the surrounding area is more than enough, usually. I have never relied on A-GPS accurately and I don't think I will ever need to. Unless you are not completely lost, I would this works most of the time. Actually, for some reason, I prefer to capture GPS images and use them (and I keep them for some time) rather than using A-GPS.
Old 2010-03-03, 02:35   Link #6340
Seitsuki
Onee!

I've used handheld GPS for orienteering/adventure racing before. nvm 3 meters. they get their signal from satellites and all sorts of crap screws with them so probably unless you're using some military grade hardware you'd be lucky to get 10m accuracy. The idea of a GPS has always been "it'll get you there-ish then you can have a look around." Either that or our school is cheap and using some seriously outdated tech..

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international