AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 18:23   Link #8961
mitsuganae

Those who say that they don't care about money are those who have too much of it.

This fairly common sentiment (and its converse, inverse, etc.) has been stated in the franchise in various ways.

I see that the willingly/happily given fidelity memo has been both missed and/or dismissed despite being sent several times. Oh well. A reference to The Tempest might be best, but I fear that such a thing would be as useful as screaming through howling winds a la King Lear (despite a reference to Hamlet being enthusiastically received by another years ago).

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2012-10-08 at 18:43.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 01:08   Link #8962
Shadow5YA

I don't think marrying a weathy girl would quell Hayate's worries about money, considering his luck, and the fact that he still feels responsible for Nagi losing her family wealth from Mikado.

Hayate losing money has been a gag several times.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 16:29   Link #8963
Zeross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I liked Ruka's "I'll stop doing my shit if you stop doing your shit." I believe this is probably the first time Hayate is "leaving" his butler duties aside (though it shouldn't be hard since Nagi will be at Mikado's), but I'd like it if this leads to some new developments. Whilst the story is indeed Hayate the Combat Butler, it'd be nice to see Hayate consider what he wants to do with his life, if he's okay remaining as Nagi's butler or if he wants something else in life.
he want a 3LDK
Old 2012-10-12, 15:10   Link #8964
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We already know what he dreams of: a simple, stable middle class life, where he doesn't have to worry about repaying a debt. And maybe where he makes enough to support a family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeross View Post
he want a 3LDK
I know, that's what he's said before. But as of now, he's completely focused on his butler duties. We never really see him considering when he'll start working to achieve his own goals, or if he plans to ditch that idea and remain as Nagi's butler or follow after some other idea.

My point is that hasn't been developed. Hayate said what he aspired for once, and it ended there. We've never seen Hayate think about his future and aspirations, since being a butler and serving Nagi is all he thinks and does now.

I think it'd be interesting to see him think about himself and his future every now and then.
Old 2012-10-12, 16:36   Link #8965
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I know, that's what he's said before. But as of now, he's completely focused on his butler duties. We never really see him considering when he'll start working to achieve his own goals, or if he plans to ditch that idea and remain as Nagi's butler or follow after some other idea.

My point is that hasn't been developed. Hayate said what he aspired for once, and it ended there. We've never seen Hayate think about his future and aspirations, since being a butler and serving Nagi is all he thinks and does now.

I think it'd be interesting to see him think about himself and his future every now and then.
He's not exactly free to think of anything else till he's repaid her. Though I do wonder what kind of timescale we're talking about, there.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-12, 18:36   Link #8966
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He's not exactly free to think of anything else till he's repaid her. Though I do wonder what kind of timescale we're talking about, there.
Well 150 million yen is about 2 million USD at current exchange rate. Assuming he earns $50,000 USD a year, it'll take him over 38 years to earn that much. That's why he isn't thinking about what he's going to do afterwards yet. Poor guy.
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-13, 01:31   Link #8967
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by atua View Post
Well 150 million yen is about 2 million USD at current exchange rate. Assuming he earns $50,000 USD a year, it'll take him over 38 years to earn that much. That's why he isn't thinking about what he's going to do afterwards yet. Poor guy.
Like I said before, I think it's more than just paying back the debt. He's worried that he'll also lose any money he earns as well because of his luck.
Old 2012-10-14, 00:36   Link #8968
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Quote:
Below the surface, the skills are closer to those of a manager than a servant: for an (unnamed) Russian oligarch, Mr Seddon-Holland managed properties on several continents and organised 60 permanent staff.
A world-class butler can earn up to £150,000 ($240,000) plus bonus, separate living accommodation and all expenses. If a wealthy client finds you indispensable, Mr Seddon-Holland says, a butler can “demand almost anything” to stay put.

http://www.economist.com/node/21564544
Hayate doesn't seem to be able to manage and organize a staff of 60 but he be making more then 50k.
Old 2012-10-14, 01:27   Link #8969
atua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Hayate doesn't seem to be able to manage and organize a staff of 60 but he be making more then 50k.
I just knew someone was going to bring up that Economist article when I replied. Here's a description of the work done by one of these $200k guys:

"Despite a trickle of scandals involving talkative ex-butlers, demand is soaring. So is the complexity of the job. A birthday in Venezuela organised by Anthony Seddon-Holland, a British soldier-turned-butler, involved three planeloads of guests and security, and booking an entire hotel, plus rock band and film stars."

Can you seriously tell me that's comparable to the glorified babysitting that Hayate's doing right now? Even if I have him earn $100k a year, it's still going to be 20 years before he's done.
Old 2012-10-14, 03:20   Link #8970
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Funny, that article doesn't say anything about special attacks.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 10:04   Link #8971
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I just knew someone was going to bring up that Economist article when I replied. Here's a description of the work done by one of these $200k guys:

"Despite a trickle of scandals involving talkative ex-butlers, demand is soaring. So is the complexity of the job. A birthday in Venezuela organised by Anthony Seddon-Holland, a British soldier-turned-butler, involved three planeloads of guests and security, and booking an entire hotel, plus rock band and film stars."

Can you seriously tell me that's comparable to the glorified babysitting that Hayate's doing right now? Even if I have him earn $100k a year, it's still going to be 20 years before he's done.
but how many of those butlers can chase down a car going 80kmph on bicycle?
Old 2012-10-15, 10:29   Link #8972
atua

Quote:
...a British soldier-turned-butler
Quote:
but how many of those butlers can chase down a car going 80kmph on bicycle?
Well, if the point is to rescue a rich heiress from some kidnappers, he might do very well indeed.
Old 2012-10-15, 12:34   Link #8973
Zeross

amazingly echhi chapter for hayate
Old 2012-10-15, 20:36   Link #8974
AdventSleeper

Anxious of having nothing to do....

If only I were as hardworking as them.
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 07:41   Link #8975
HasuMasu
*Artist

I have to say that personally, design wise? Luka is the finest of the lot so far.
Old 2012-10-16, 08:22   Link #8976
II Maestro

Oh~! The rainbow village is amazing in it's own ways.
Old 2012-10-16, 22:39   Link #8977
mitsuganae

So it's Ruka's turn in ship tease roulette. Yawn.

Just pick up the manga creation thread and stick with it already!
Old 2012-10-17, 13:35   Link #8978
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post

What? Everyone hated the manga arc.
Old 2012-10-17, 16:57   Link #8979
mitsuganae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuganae View Post

What? Everyone hated the manga arc.
That's what happens when someone supposedly speaks for "everyone."

I've also repeatedly encountered in this forum the sentiment that "everyone" thinks that the Greece arc is the best part of the manga. Again, I'm not part of that "everyone." I think that arc is a messy overcooked wangsty tween melodrama.

Last edited by mitsuganae; 2012-10-17 at 18:16.
Old 2012-10-17, 17:31   Link #8980
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

If you want to be technical about it we could add 'almost everyone' or 'general reception', but no matter what we use it would still mean the same thing.

After all, somebody has got to be the minority.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen