AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-05, 12:09   Link #481
Anime Online

I don't get the part in which the Demon King explained how the Central Kingdoms are getting rich by financing the poorer Southern Kingdoms to keep the war going. She mentioned security and consumption, so I'm thinking the Central Kingdoms are acting as some kind of war profiteer?

On one hand, explaining the proper economic model would likely fly over the audience's head. On the other hand, I feel like I'm missing out what's really happening with the anime's vague explanation.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 12:10   Link #482
Arya

Watched this first episode and if I have to be honest I'm a bit ambivalent. Not that I was expecting anything about it, I didn't know much about the show. Somehow it reminded of Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate. There is a serious thread, then the "romance" and the comedy. But in this case the comedy and the romance are one.
Anyways, I feared a bit the heroine once I first saw her design, but in the end I liked her, thanks even to her seiyuu that really gave a more serious feeling despite her comedic behavior, that I enjoyed. The fake horn has been priceless. I liked less the MC.
What didn't work to me, but I know it is an introductive episode, is the merging of the two aspects. I mean, the way he "gave up" fighting felt a bit cheep, counting that the bond seems to be for the eternity She dished out tons of explanations, but somehow I don't think he would have reacted in the same way if the demon had been a real male one.
Probably I just need to get accustomed to the comedic aspects.
I didn't like even the animation, I don't like CGI, and they abdicated to it in behalf of the boobs department. Apparently they hired the HOTD boobs dynamics engineer here
All in all, despite I really don't like the "'I'm an Alien and for alien reasons I'm in love with you" trope that to me is equivalent to say, ok, we give up on the romance aspects of the show in behalf of the rest, I'm curios about the economics and war aspects of the show and from what I read here there are other sound characters in the series.
Hopefully they will avoid any harem tropes or at least keep them to the minimum

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 12:20   Link #483
rickadams
Yggdrasil DJ

Cipher language? I'm in!

Translating these sorts of things is a little hobby of mine...
Old 2013-01-05, 12:22   Link #484
LKK

I enjoyed the first episode with one exception: Hero's late middle school behavior whenever the Demon King played her gender card. Yes, I get that he's still a virgin. But he's not a middle school-aged virgin. He's a young man who's been traveling with a mixed gender fighting group for a little while at least. He should be beyond the blushing, stuttering, and overreacting stage by now at least. A nonchalant attitude would have been more believable. As he was in those scenes, he came across as a child.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 12:32   Link #485
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
That's one thing from this series you have to get used to to enjoy it . It's "useless meat" after all .
People have no idea what's they're talking about when they accuses the Demon Queen of having useless meat.

Even the Hero was brainwashed distracted by them.

As for the naming conventions well the whole Pronoun-Adjective as a name thing has it's charm I guess plus King/Queen, it's simple enough to get used too in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
I don't get the part in which the Demon King explained how the Central Kingdoms are getting rich by financing the poorer Southern Kingdoms to keep the war going. She mentioned security and consumption, so I'm thinking the Central Kingdoms are acting as some kind of war profiteer?

On one hand, explaining the proper economic model would likely fly over the audience's head. On the other hand, I feel like I'm missing out what's really happening with the anime's vague explanation.
The central kingdoms are basically bolstering the southern kingdoms for their "security" purpose aka they basically are paid to die for the war effort. Also the southern kingdoms act as the consumption class for any surplus that the central kingdoms create (which is then also financed by the central kingdoms through war "charity"/support)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadams View Post
Spoiler for Image:

How does that work? But props to you, I just thought it was random scribbles for the show.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 12:33   Link #486
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I liked it, and I plan to definitely watch this, but.....Demon King and Hero don't have the same mad..even sexy chemistry that Holo and Lawrence had.

I chuckled at
Spoiler:
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 12:42   Link #487
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Just look at those eyes...
Old 2013-01-05, 12:44   Link #488
rickadams
Yggdrasil DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
How does that work? But props to you, I just thought it was random scribbles for the show.
Whenever anime studios need a mysterious alien script, they can never resist making it a substitution code for English. I've similarly "translated" the script used in DearS, Ano Natsu, and Dog Days, among others. The script used in Madoka was beyond me, since it was a substitution code for GERMAN.

To decipher such a script, find a suitably large sample of it and figure out all the one and two character words, like "a," "of", etc. Then figure out the three character words. Then substitute what you've found so far into all the larger words and look for words that just HAVE to be a certain word given the characters you know. It slowly builds from there.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:58   Link #489
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I enjoyed the first episode with one exception: Hero's late middle school behavior whenever the Demon King played her gender card. Yes, I get that he's still a virgin. But he's not a middle school-aged virgin. He's a young man who's been traveling with a mixed gender fighting group for a little while at least. He should be beyond the blushing, stuttering, and overreacting stage by now at least. A nonchalant attitude would have been more believable. As he was in those scenes, he came across as a child.
Hey cut the kid some slack he was raised by the church after all...
Old 2013-01-05, 13:04   Link #490
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadams View Post

You probably shouldn't translate too much, because it seems likely they'll give spoilers for future episodes. If this one is any indication.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 13:07   Link #491
lightbringer
M9000

Making it a substitution cipher is already pretty good - as far as the majority of viewers are concerned, they could've just made it random gibberish. Good job deciphering it though.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 13:12   Link #492
-Necromancer-
Otaku

Going to read the manga in a bit. But watching the anime 1st episode it looks like his mind is chaged too easily xD and what the hell happened to his friends? wont he have to kill them

But i like the queen xD and her pushiness and optimistic personality ( is it pessi or opti? forgot xD )
-Necromancer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 13:37   Link #493
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Do they really not have any names but "Hero" and "Demon King"? >_>

For a demon king where's the guards? o_O?
Old 2013-01-05, 13:48   Link #494
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
That's what made this story unique .

Quote:
The hero has his own ragtag group of fellow warriors. If I'm not mistaken, those other warriors battling the other demons (some guarding the palace) in order to let Hero broke through Saint Seiya style . The Hero also slaughtered some demons too before entering the King's chamber IIRC.
Old 2013-01-05, 13:50   Link #495
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Hmm that's interesting. I also just read the director was also the director of Spice and Wolf? No wonder I saw Horo in the demon king.
Old 2013-01-05, 13:52   Link #496
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:

The throne room is always empty of everyone but the boss. It's like fighting Dracula in Castlevania games.

And no one has names. Only titles. This story is about the heath of society, and as such society itself is the main character. All the humans and demons are just representations of demographics and social demands in the world.
Old 2013-01-05, 13:58   Link #497
Blaat

Good concept but the pandering and cliché elements (main character's behaviour seeing a large cleavage) will drag this show down to unwatchable territory like so many other LN adaptations.
Old 2013-01-05, 14:10   Link #498
Kirarakim

This was my most anticipated new series (not counting Chihayafuru) and I liked what I saw so far. Will definitely be continuing at least for now.

Yes I could have done without the blushing hero and the big bouncing boobs of our demon "king" but sometimes these types of things are necessary evils. If there is a good story to be told (and it looks that way) I can overlook those things.
Old 2013-01-05, 14:15   Link #499
Anjou

I'm personally very fascinated by the Demon King vs. Queen vs. Maou conversation. Good stuff guys.
Anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 14:21   Link #500
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Well, his female companions put together don't have as much "useless meat".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
That's what made this story unique .

The hero has his own ragtag group of fellow warriors. If I'm not mistaken, those other warriors battling the other demons (some guarding the palace) in order to let Hero broke through Saint Seiya style . The Hero also slaughtered some demons too before entering the King's chamber IIRC.
No, he just decided to leave them behind for some undisclosed reason. The palace was practically empty because the Demon Queen wanted the hero to reach her. And had no interest in seeing her people get slaughtered by him on the way there.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem