AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-22, 15:31   Link #1181
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I thought the poem pretty much killed the idea of Chihaya having romantic feelings for Arata. "Looks like love, but isn't" is the aspect that resonated with her. Of course, it may change, and at least she's aware that her behavior makes it look like she's in love with him.
Yeah that was what I was saying with my last paragraph that it is the "romantic" poem that actually still gives me some hope for Taichi.

And like I said earlier it would be interesting if the manga-ka subverts the romantic feelings in those poems for friendship.

Who knows the end pairing could end up being Taichi/Arata . I think their future is becoming like their two teachers, rivals but always friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
I disagree that Arata is the goal of the other characters. Taichi's goal was stated very clearly by himself this past episode. It's to be a man who can hold himself in high regards. Chihaya's goal is, well, to be Queen or whatever. And that's not the same as Arata. Being friends with him is something they both desire but that's different from a goal.
No I think Arata is still a goal for Taichi and Chihaya (well maybe Chihaya has the queen too).

Yes I understand Taichi states he doesn't want to run away but i think getting to the point where he can challenge Arata (who Taichi does admire as a Karuta player) is important too. But Taichi wants to win on his own and doesn't want to get a free pass. He wants to keep trying to get there even if he doesn't win right away. He isn't giving up & he doesn't want to run away when things don't immediatly go his way.

As for Chihaya and Taichi wanting to be Arata's friend..well last time I checked they already were. I think that friendship is something separate from their admiration of Arata as a Karuta player.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-02-22 at 15:44.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 16:03   Link #1182
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Sigh... It's Kana and Tsutomu's match Chihaya watches. No respect for the little guy!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 17:24   Link #1183
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
As for Chihaya and Taichi wanting to be Arata's friend..well last time I checked they already were. I think that friendship is something separate from their admiration of Arata as a Karuta player.
That's why I said its not a goal but something important to them. And admiring or even deifying Arata as a Karuta player doesn't mean that he is their goal either.

For both Chihaya and Taichi, reaching Arata's level may be a landmark along the way, and thus a minor goal if you were to be broad with the word, but its not the goal. The goal is to be the queen for Chihaya and Taichi stated his goal in a beautiful manner just this episode. Having his feelings for Chihaya reciprocated, making A class, catching up to Arata in Karuta, being Meijin etc. etc. are only means to an end for him. His goal is to be a man who doesn't run away. And in a sense, he has already accomplished it but as it should be with the goal a person should have, it's an ideal and not a state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Sigh... It's Kana and Tsutomu's match Chihaya watches. No respect for the little guy!
Apologies. But Desktomu wouldn't mind
Old 2012-02-22, 18:05   Link #1184
Blaat

Quote:
No respect for the little guy!
You can't blame people for overlooking him.
Old 2012-02-22, 18:09   Link #1185
Kirarakim

Quote:
For both Chihaya and Taichi, reaching Arata's level may be a landmark along the way, and thus a minor goal if you were to be broad with the word, but its not the goal. The goal is to be the queen for Chihaya and Taichi stated his goal in a beautiful manner just this episode. Having his feelings for Chihaya reciprocated, making A class, catching up to Arata in Karuta, being Meijin etc. etc. are only means to an end for him. His goal is to be a man who doesn't run away. And in a sense, he has already accomplished it but as it should be with the goal a person should have, it's an ideal and not a state.
I don't think anything I said goes against what Taichi said to Harada-sensei about not wanting to run away.

Taichi wants to be a person "who doesn't run away" but that doesn't mean the other stuff you mentioned above is not important to Taichi. But of course being handed "Class A" like he was offered in this episode would go against the person Taichi wants to be.

And yes I very much think Arata is a "goal" for Taichi. Taichi admires Arata and certainly wants to eventually play on his level. If Taichi didn't have such strong feelings for Arata, then seeing Arata would not have affected Taichi's game so much.

Arata is Taichi's friend but he is also his Karuta rival (and also a rival for Chihaya's affections in Taichi's mind). Of course it is very much a friendly rivalry. As Taichi said part of him didn't want to see Arata but then of course as a friend he is glad to see him again.
Old 2012-02-22, 18:31   Link #1186
Byakou

Personally I'd rather there not be any romance at all between any of the characters, it'd make things really weird. Unfortunately it kinda looks like they're setting it up to be Taichi/Chihaya. :/
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 18:37   Link #1187
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Personally I'd rather there not be any romance at all between any of the characters, it'd make things really weird. Unfortunately it kinda looks like they're setting it up to be Taichi/Chihaya. :/
It is hard for me to forgive Taichi for the crap he pulled as a kid and not getting Chihaya would be justice, but until Arata is around more often he'll most likely win
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 18:44   Link #1188
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
I don't think anything I said goes against what Taichi said to Harada-sensei about not wanting to run away.

Taichi wants to be a person "who doesn't run away" but that doesn't mean the other stuff you mentioned above is not important to Taichi. But of course being handed "Class A" like he was offered in this episode would go against the person Taichi wants to be.

And yes I very much think Arata is a "goal" for Taichi. Taichi admires Arata and certainly wants to eventually play on his level. If Taichi didn't have such strong feelings for Arata, then seeing Arata would not have affected Taichi's game so much.

Arata is Taichi's friend but he is also his Karuta rival (and also a rival for Chihaya's affections in Taichi's mind). Of course it is very much a friendly rivalry. As Taichi said part of him didn't want to see Arata but then of course as a friend he is glad to see him again.
Nevermind. It's just semantics. And you obviously aren't the type to take the bait, if you know what I mean

Oh and while I'd support the no romance boat, this show (and the source manga) clearly has romantic subplots as one of it's pillars. ._.

Besides, just because Chihaya is boring and the two leads are thus wasting their time doesn't mean we shouldn't be appreciating stuff like DeskxKana (chuckle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype_sky View Post
It is hard for me to forgive Taichi for the crap he pulled as a kid and not getting Chihaya would be justice, but until Arata is around more often he'll most likely win
Holy shit dude. Your sense of justice is totally warped and scary. Kids are kids - they shouldn't have to suffer lifelong for a stupid prank that they eventually apologized for. That is totally unfitting punishment for the crime. Arata let him off with a "you're a coward" which was very suitable. Nothing of value was really lost and a lifelong friendship was gained.
Old 2012-02-22, 19:58   Link #1189
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Of course, Chihaya already has Arata's email address and phone number: she called him, remember, after she made Class A, and who can forget the flood of emails Arata finds from her when he logs onto his email account from the bookstore computer.
No. Chihaya has his mail address, but not his cell phone number (she called him to his house before, not the cell phone), which is the reason he asked Taichi to pass the cell number to her. I don't think there was any romantic connotation here; Arata was just being considerate to Taichi.
Old 2012-02-22, 20:01   Link #1190
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
You can't blame people for overlooking him.
I can and I do! He's a very underrated character, and he's showing serious growth over the last several episodes.
Old 2012-02-22, 20:05   Link #1191
Kirarakim

Quote:
I can and I do! He's a very underrated character, and he's showing serious growth over the last several episodes.
Hey I mentioned him in my original post. Although I've only recently discovered it's easier to write Komano than Tsutomu.
Old 2012-02-22, 20:12   Link #1192
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Well, while I certainly was guilty of referring to their match with only Kana's name, I don't underrate him at all. I can relate to him more than any other in the show after all - what with finding school disgusting but being in love with studying etc. And he has indeed shown serious growth without getting all that much focus either. In a way, that's just fitting. He is the type to grow in the shadows. He doesn't want (and I'd argue doesn't need) the limelight. So long as his close companions acknowledge him. I have a thing with nicknames though (makes me feel like people with nicks are truly being acknowledged by their friends - I don't condone bullying of any sort) and desktomu has a nice ring to it.

The one character I underrate in this show is Chihaya. I just can't seem to get myself to like her. I have seriously tried to flip things around and see it from different perspectives yada yada but I don't see anything impressive about her at all. She was so much more interesting as a kid. I don't see her as much beyond a pretty face that just so happens to be a Karuta nutcase and is there only to serve as a plot mechanic. What a waste really.
Old 2012-02-22, 21:03   Link #1193
Utsuro no Hako

[QUOTE=Kanon;4019284]Yep, there was actual tracing.

You can find out more about the whole story here: http://comipress.com/article/2007/07/09/2267

Slamdunk? That certainly isn't what I was expecting.

Quote:
And as much as it breaks my Taichi heart to say it, I'm leaning towards Chihaya having romantic feelings for Arata. Yes we can say those feelings are based on something she imagines but the way she reacts around Arata is just so fundamentally different than Taichi. Whereas with Taichi it feels more one sided on his part.
You're both wrong. Based upon her behavior, she's clearly a tsundere for Nishida.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 21:04   Link #1194
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
You're both wrong. Based upon her behavior, she's clearly a tsundere for Nishida.
I'd enjoy being wrong in this case because that would be the best troll ever.

edit: And that would also mean Arata/Taichi are free to get together.
Old 2012-02-22, 21:07   Link #1195
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Sir, upon deep consideration, I would like to purchase your dōjinshi.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 21:48   Link #1196
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Quote:
I'd enjoy being wrong in this case because that would be the best troll ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
Sir, upon deep consideration, I would like to purchase your dōjinshi.
Actually, I called it first.

Here:
Quote:
Chihaya can go with Porky for all I care. That might actually be a good fit considering Porky is down to earth and pretty discreet and assertive - just the type to reel in the likes of Chihaya.
Old 2012-02-23, 00:58   Link #1197
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
There may indeed never be any overt romance - and I doubt there will be in the anime. At its heart, I think Chihayafuru is at least as much a shounen sports anime as a shoujo.
Old 2012-02-23, 03:42   Link #1198
Blaat

Quote:
My post was an attempt at a joke at the expense of Tsutomu's height ("overlooking him" get it?)
Old 2012-02-23, 03:54   Link #1199
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

To be honest I'm not really all that interested in the main love triangle. I'm more interested in the potentially adorkable romance between Kana and Tsutomu.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 05:35   Link #1200
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I don't mind "friendship ending" , at first this anime introduced us Karuta & they did a great job for that , i'm really interested everytimes they are playing it. Then the chara development for every characters.
Romance is just a minor factor next to them.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse