AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-11-18, 05:02   Link #81
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
The highlight of course for me its the music scores. It's simply beautiful. Who's composing them? It reminds me of Motoi Sakuraba for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
It's by Hitoshi Sakimoto, famous for his works in FF Tactics and FF XII, so that's expected. I've not heard about the Soundtrack being release on iTunes yets, so you be best importing a hardcopy which includes the aforementioned removed J-pop Track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Folks who like the music might find this blog entry to be of interest.
Quote:
Anyway I agree about the story being cheesy. After playing COD : World at War and Fallout 3 for a while and then playing this only to find a girl with a short skirt, leading a platoon, and baked bakeries in pseudo-Europe with WW II background just feels so out of place lol.
Maybe you're just jaded. Sure there are a lot of clinch, but there are excellent points in the story.

I'll like to make mention about the hatred aganist Darcsens in the game that's obviously based on racism aganist Jews in real life. We are even given stages that features the snagonist prisoning the Darcsens in concerntartation camps and using them as force labours. It was also mentioned later that some of the Darcsens are being hunted down and killed like wild games.

Now I ask you, did any of the past WWII game you played featured the Holocaust or had a stage set in a Jewish concerntation camp ?
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 09:22   Link #82
TrueKnight

I'm not that far yet in the game. Only up until Largo and Rosie are bitching about Isara's lineage, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
Now I ask you, did any of the past WWII game you played featured the Holocaust or had a stage set in a Jewish concerntation camp ?
There are few resemblance in the Company of Heroes (PC and RTS game, great game) so yes, I have. But seriously CoH are based on actual WWII Holocaust event.

While what your comparing are a pseduo setting with only a resemblance. There are many referrence of the Holocaust in other games. If that's the case then I've seen plenty. Let's see... Fallout 3 with the racism againts the Ghouls, Legendia with the Merines, Mass Effect with the Spacenoid thing, Xenosaga against the android and so on.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-18, 15:59   Link #83
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post

There are few resemblance in the Company of Heroes (PC and RTS game, great game) so yes, I have. But seriously CoH are based on actual WWII Holocaust event.
In Holocaust, as in the Jewish Holocaust and other things associated with it. I've played CoH and it's expansion, but I didn't recall any mention those.

Quote:
While what your comparing are a pseduo setting with only a resemblance. There are many referrence of the Holocaust in other games. If that's the case then I've seen plenty. Let's see... Fallout 3 with the racism againts the Ghouls, Legendia with the Merines, Mass Effect with the Spacenoid thing, Xenosaga against the android and so on.
Yes. But those are set aganist fictional races (which are mostly sub or non-human, BTW) that has no obvious roots in reality.

Some more examples for the Darcsen being based on Jews includs how the Jews was blamed for the economical problems in Germany and the Darcsen was blamed for their ancestors' deeds. Both the Jews and Darcsen choose not to fight back and accepted their fates.
Old 2008-11-18, 16:25   Link #84
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
I'll like to make mention about the hatred aganist Darcsens in the game that's obviously based on racism aganist Jews in real life. We are even given stages that features the snagonist prisoning the Darcsens in concerntartation camps and using them as force labours. It was also mentioned later that some of the Darcsens are being hunted down and killed like wild games.

I noticed that as well and I find it very interesting how the world is so fictional, but draws so many accurate parallels to WWII events that are not brought to the fore-front in many other WWII games. The plot is a lot more complex than it seems. It tackles political intrigue, ethnic discrimination, and mild themes of the occult, and offers plenty of meditations on the personal impact of war.

Reading the glossary in the game is really interesting and actually greatly adds to the overall story.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 05:08   Link #85
ShinGundam

GT’s Review = 9.1
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43161.html
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-26, 17:46   Link #86
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Its been getting mostly positive reviews from what I've seen. Its defenitely one of the sleeper hits of the PS3 this year.
Old 2008-11-26, 20:54   Link #87
kujoe
from head to heel

I find it pleasantly surprising that an underrated game like this is getting better reviews than the more anticipated RPGs like Last Remnant. You come out with something polished as this (minus the ragdoll physics and lackluster sound effects), with some refreshing charm, the people will come... Then again, maybe not. Sega and Sony have to advertise this more. Definitely the sleeper hit of the year for me, or the RPG of the year for that matter.

This game has made others go out and proclaim the return of Sega (never mind that it's a new team made up of SoA folks), and with an anime down the line I hope this means that there's a bright future for a possible game series.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 11:40   Link #88
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Most underrated game of the year, by far.

I think the sound effects fits the anime-ish water-colouring style well tbh, makes it more like a book (which is what it is trying to do, and much better than Folklore tried to do).

The ragdoll physics is the only thing that bugs me in this game.
Old 2008-12-02, 20:17   Link #89
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Anyone have any favorite non-main character units?

Marina
Wendy "Hee hee, kaboom."
Old 2008-12-02, 20:34   Link #90
u43368
Disabled By Request

Jane rocks, she's a female Shinji Nishizono.
I like Elysse too, and the lesbian mechanic.

I prefer the side characters over the main cast.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 20:48   Link #91
kujoe
from head to heel

Aika and Vyse.

Bang, bang baby!

...and Marina the sniper.

I also wish the Captain was playable. Actually, there are a lot of characters who say a lot of interesting or funny things in the game.
Old 2008-12-02, 21:18   Link #92
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

THis game has a great set of side characters and I really like the great amount of them.

My personal favorites are Marina, Freesia, Jane, and Hannes.
Old 2008-12-02, 22:02   Link #93
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.

Lesbian mechanic would be Dallas.

They should've given these guys bigger roles, or better yet, allowed you to make a selection of them to have as main characters during a mission or entire playthrough. Good character design is put to so much waste in these 100+ character games, except for maybe Suikoden.
Old 2008-12-03, 09:57   Link #94
Shadow Kira01

The antagonists are more awesome..

Maximillian: Once again, Fukuyama Jun (Lelouch Lamperouge - Code Geass) voices a character that is both intelligent and charismatic.
Selvaria Bles: She possesses the blood of the legendary Valkyria and possesses supernatural abilities. She is voiced by Ohara Sayaka (Milly Ashford - Code Geass).

As for the main cast, Galian's Principality looks pretty good with Squad 7. Too bad there wasn't a psp version. On the contrary, luckily.. There is an anime version. (^_^)
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 17:35   Link #95
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Jane, Marina, Feesia
Old 2008-12-12, 16:52   Link #96
Shiori-chan

got the game recently and yey @ japanese voices, seeing the seiyu of lelouch doing the voices in a game makes me go ~wooo. Just cleared chapter 7 and must say, it keeps getting more fun each fight you play ^^ story also starts revealing itself
my fav character next to the mains is elysse and that scout with the blonde hair which always says beautiful girls (forgot her name :x)
Old 2008-12-13, 14:42   Link #97
Rias

Finally beat it...definitely well worth my money, the story was well done and the characters (even the minor ones) are quite interesting.

Only thing that I have an issue on is that...it seems the translator(s) for the English version went a bit over the top. Often the english text would contain stuff that's not even said in the Japanese dialogue, sometimes derogatory terms were used instead (for example, Maximillian calls the Squad 7 "militia" in Japanese, but english text becomes "peasants"). It's not a big deal but I just find it a bit weird.
Old 2008-12-15, 07:23   Link #98
Marty87

Send a message via MSN to Marty87
just beaten the game, i'm going to use only one word to describe from now on, "Masterpiece"

no other game gave me feelings like this one..

too shame that belongs on a niche's genre, but i can say for sure that is my favorite game
Old 2008-12-16, 07:12   Link #99
kujoe
from head to heel

Ah sad news... Apparently, Valkyria Chronicles sold even poorly than expected.

SRPGs of the Japanese variety tend to be a niche, but this is just sad. Just 33,000 copies for November? I sure hope that it'll only go up from there. It shouldn't have gone head to head with the holiday's big hitters in my opinion.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/valk...ored-us-gamers
Old 2008-12-16, 07:19   Link #100
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Ah sad news... Apparently, Valkyria Chronicles sold even poorly than expected.

SRPGs of the Japanese variety tend to be a niche, but this is just sad. Just 33,000 copies for November? I sure hope that it'll only go up from there. It shouldn't have gone head to head with the holiday's big hitters in my opinion.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/valk...ored-us-gamers
The game will be a long time seller from word-of-mouth publicity once people starts picking PS3 hardware for the likes of God Of War III and Uncharted 2, based on how the sales in Japan fare. And it will be even more well recieved early next year if the anime turns out to be good.