AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2015-10-03, 06:57   Link #1
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

As the title suggests, the purpose of this thread is to discuss Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Mecha, Weapons, and Technology

Please keep discussion about plot and storylines in the relevant Episode Discussion threads, not here. It's also a good idea that this thread discuss things that have shown up in the anime, manga or light novel - discussion of things that have only been announced should stay in the appropriate thread.

Note that because of the nature of this thread, there may be spoilers for non-anime Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans works. Please keep such spoilers to a minimum, and use well-titled spoiler tags whenever possible.

[spoil=title]Don't forget to use a title to let everyone know what you're spoiling![/spoil]
Spoilers
Spoiler for title
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Be polite to your fellow forum members and try and keep the discussion on topic and above all, enjoy.[/td]

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 09:21   Link #2
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I'm going to quote Rainforce's post of the HG Barbatos manual from the General Anime Discussion thread just to start things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainforce View Post
Early Barbatos manual info. We've got fairy particles, enhanced humans and an illiterate protagonist.

https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig33/10338392k.jpg
https://www.1999.co.jp/itbig33/10338392k2.jpg

-overall height:18.0m, dry weight:28.5t
-Gundam Barbatos: About 300 years ago, the Calamity War drove by humanity itself caused the civilization decline. Barbatos is an ancient MS produced in that era. Even with that era's technology mounting 2 Ahab Reactors and making them operate in parallel high output was extremely difficult, so 72 machines using a Gundam Frame fuselage were rolled out. All of those 72 machines have an individual name registered to them, Barbatos' Gundam prefix is a rare name for a MS to bear. The burden on the pilot is high due to the high output and high maneuverability, however it's mitigated by the implementation of Inertial Control due to the use of Ahab Particles generated from the reactor when a phase transition occurs inside its vacuum device. The cockpit structure is positioned in front of the reactor to take advantage of this. Among the same frame machines, Barbatos has been adjusted for an emphasis on versatility, it has the potential to adapt to every circumstance by performing exchanges of all sorts of equipment.
-Mikazuki Augus: boarded the Barbatos when Gjallarhorn attacked the CGS HQ facility then became its pilot. He has received the Alaya-Vijnana(storehouse consciousness concept from Buddhism) System surgical treatment 3 times and still returned alive. This system grants excellent spatial awareness and since ancient MS require rapport from an Organic Device Sytem, compatibility with Barbatos is very good. Inspired by Gjallarhorn attack, he participates with the mobilized children including Orga Itsuka in starting up Tekkadan. He has never been to school and can't read properly.
-Mace: Physical destruction weapon made from a high hardness rare alloy used in MS frames. As MS use Nano Laminated Armor for protection, such striking weapons are considered to be effective. Its pointed end has an spear-like stick out injection mechanism.
-Long Sword: Sword used by MS training at Teiwaz's HQ ''Jupiter'' factory. It shows its superiority during localized attacks because it's easy to handle due to its lightweight.
-Gauntlet: already equipped when Barbatos was discovered on Mars. Thought to be an original Barbatos exchangeable armament, not sure.
-1st Form: from the Calamity War around 300 years ago. Discovered in Mars' desert by Malva Arkay(CGS president). Since its Ahab Reactors were still in operational state it was used as the CGS HQ facility's power source until Mikazuki boarded it.
-4th Form: Based on ancient materials from the time of the Calamity War that had been recorded on Teiwaz's database, Barbatos' original shape reproduced by ''Jupiter'' technicians. Machine's weight balance stabilized because of additional armaments. Reactor output was improved too.
As discussed before, the Gundams all use two Ahab Reactors in parallel and that keeping them in parallel is why only 72 Gundam units were made. The setup reminds me of the Twin Drive System from Gundam 00 to be honest.

And I think the first episode mentioned that Ahab Reactors can cause trouble when communication which is why they need to use those transponder things. That also seems to suggest that Ahab Reactors are fairly common technology but the parallel effect appears to be unique to the Gundams, which subsequently allows them a high output. I'm going to guess that other mobile suits just have a single Ahab Reactor for now.
Old 2015-10-04, 09:39   Link #3
The 48th Ronin

Ahab's a pretty interesting tech.

I wonder if Gjallarhorn has Gundams, too.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 10:15   Link #4
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Ahab's a pretty interesting tech.

I wonder if Gjallarhorn has Gundams, too.
Currently there are four main groups, the Tekadan (our MCs), the Gjallarhorn which seems to be Titans/Londo Bell/A-LAWS of Post Disaster Calendar and two more group called Teiwaz and Brewers. I think the later two are confirmed to have their own Gundam (Kimaris and Gusion), which means Gjallarhorn has no Gundam, for now. I'm pretty sure they will have few down the line, Gjallarhorn seems to be the most powerful group out of the four.

Interestingly based on the OP video (cut from subbed episode in Youtube, I wonder why), Barbatos was not shown in its 4th form (the one with the shoulder pads), meaning that form will come late and based on the mechanical data Rainforce posted, it seems Barbatos will receive upgrades from Teiwaz? Also, none of the other Gundams make appearance in the OP

Anyway, preview of Barbatos' long distance assault backpack, seems like GN Arms

Last edited by LightningZERO; 2015-10-04 at 10:26.
LightningZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 10:32   Link #5
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

So was there any reason for the constant shirtless piloting? Lack of funds don't for pilot suits? Just s style choice? Anything?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 10:41   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
So was there any reason for the constant shirtless piloting? Lack of funds don't for pilot suits? Just s style choice? Anything?
No official explanation as far as I'm aware of but we do know that the pilots connect to their mechas through a link to their back. If I were to guess I'd say the company can't be arsed to accommodate clothing around it because it doesn't give a shit about its lab rats. It might even be intentional so that they're treated with as little dignity as possible.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 11:05   Link #7
Rainforce
Banned

Ep 1 info:
-Almost everything runs on Ahab Reactors: space stations, MS and ships.
-Ahab Waves are emitted from Ahab Reactors. Interfere with communication.
-Nano Laminated Armor gives a blue effect when hit
-Akihiro confirmed to pilot the Graze Kai
-Spinal connections are called Whiskers, Mikazuki has 3, Akihiro has 2 and every other boy has just 1. Confirmed to be Nanomachines.
-OP shows the Tekkadan's battleship: https://i.imgur.com/uq8ine9.jpg
-Barbatos' 2nd/3rd Form? 2 Graze shoulder armors but still retains the Gauntlet: https://i.imgur.com/VBPJ2VU.jpg
-Side waist are actually thrusters in addition to the large backpack one: https://i.imgur.com/0fgQDBn.jpg
-That structure on top of the image must be Jupiter: https://i.imgur.com/5wJpJhf.jpg
-CGS MW with Missile Pods equipped: https://i.imgur.com/2qjVF1a.jpg
-Gjalahorn 3 legged MW with with Missile Pods: https://i.imgur.com/7pwSQSA.jpg
-I'd bet one of them is Amida: https://i.imgur.com/G9MukMw.jpg

-Ippei confirmed to design the Gjalahorn Cruiser Biscoe Class and the Tekkadan logo
-Teraoka confirmed to work on space stations and such structures

-1st pic of Barbatos Long Distance Booster, has 2 back Smoothbore Cannons and 2 Shields: http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/4e1dcde1...208709ldgj.jpg
Rainforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 11:44   Link #8
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
No official explanation as far as I'm aware of but we do know that the pilots connect to their mechas through a link to their back. If I were to guess I'd say the company can't be arsed to accommodate clothing around it because it doesn't give a shit about its lab rats. It might even be intentional so that they're treated with as little dignity as possible.
It's certainly looking that way. Third Group at CSG is pretty much dirt.

Now, how did Biscuit detect Ahab waves? He has those spatisl awareness things too right?
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 12:41   Link #9
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Probabaly nobody gave them special equipment so the pilots just go shirtless. I'm loving it though, makes them look macho and sexy.
Old 2015-10-04, 14:42   Link #10
Daft

Spoiler for Recent Episode:
Old 2015-10-04, 19:39   Link #11
B214

The president guy is stingy and selfish after all.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 19:56   Link #12
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
so firing your gun at point blank is now considered melee attack?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 19:57   Link #13
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... technically...?
Old 2015-10-04, 19:58   Link #14
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot's Blade View Post
Considering they don't have hand, yeah I guess.
Old 2015-10-04, 20:21   Link #15
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot's Blade View Post
Melee is defined as "a confused fight, skirmish, or scuffle." (Think Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Melee.) The choice of weapon used in a melee may vary.

By the way, where is this coming from?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 21:01   Link #16
The 48th Ronin

Quote:
Fanservice for girls/fujoshi?

Kidding aside, it has something to do with those things on their back, I think.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 22:35   Link #17
dragon1412

Wait a minute, if the 72 gundam in this show is named after Goetia demon, then aren't Phenex ridiculously overpowered ?? i mean, Phenex have NT-D, Beam weapon....
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 23:04   Link #18
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I doubt that the ASW-G-37 Gundam Phenex has the same capabilities of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam Phenex, and I'm certain that the RX-0 is otherwise completely unrelated to the ASW-G series.
Old 2015-10-04, 23:35   Link #19
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
also there is another suit with the name Barbatos as a G Generation original unit, though sort of not technically a Gundam type.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-04, 23:47   Link #20
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Now I can’t wait to see the two Gundam Phenex duking it out in SRW games or something to win the title of the “true demon”