Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-06, 11:49   Link #81
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Hmmm...No Naga then?...

Oh well...I'll just have to stick with Amelia then for now.
Old 2008-03-06, 23:21   Link #82
RyougaElliot
Dancing Madly

Wait, how did you come to that conclusion?

So basically, Slayers was my childhood, and the first anime I ever watched because my sister shoved it at me. I used to watch it with my mum too back in the day. =)

I rewatched the first season over the Summer, and it was just as magical as I remember it being. So many memories.
Old 2008-03-07, 03:16   Link #83
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Slayers is one of the must sees on my convert a heathen list.... It also makes sense when drunk too so I can sucker people into watching anime that way as well....
Old 2008-03-07, 07:28   Link #84
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

So anyone up to guessing how Gourry's sword situation plays out?

It could be:

-Gourry just uses all the normal blades and consequently breaks all of them upon usage.

-Gourry gets his old Sword of Light back.

-Gourry gets the new Blast Sword from the novels (magical absorption into sword empowerment).

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens to the characters alone, no less the new villains, story, etc.
Old 2008-03-08, 03:15   Link #85
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I saw the first season back in '96 I believe so Try wouldn't have even been out yet. My first exposure to it was the VHS dub at my friends house and if I recall it was one of the earliest series to make a mark in the North American market.

This is just another sign that the classics are coming back. I lamented that people these days never really got to experience some of the older franchises out there because they were either long since concluded and no longer in the limelight. Now I'm glad to see people are being given the opportunity more and more.

Hopefully all the original voice cast can be brought back to work on this. Shouldn't be too hard other than Megumi Hayashibara who I almost thought might have been dead for a while. 2nd most starring roles of all time and then she falls of the face of the earth in the 21st century or is doing Pokemon or something.
Old 2008-03-08, 03:41   Link #86
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
I saw the first season back in '96 I believe so Try wouldn't have even been out yet. My first exposure to it was the VHS dub at my friends house and if I recall it was one of the earliest series to make a mark in the North American market.
I only watched the first two seasons, but now I suddenly feel like watching everything I have missed until now.

Guess that some serious catch-up is in order.
Old 2008-03-08, 03:46   Link #87
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I only watched the first two seasons, but now I suddenly feel like watching everything I have missed until now.

Guess that some serious catch-up is in order.
Just a word of warning, Slayers Try is a bit of a tough watch. I've seen every bit of the franchise except for that, which I got up to episode 5 on and put away. I think I still have it on DVD even now, but have no real urge to watch it again.
Old 2008-03-08, 04:29   Link #88
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Just a word of warning, Slayers Try is a bit of a tough watch. I've seen every bit of the franchise except for that, which I got up to episode 5 on and put away. I think I still have it on DVD even now, but have no real urge to watch it again.
Sad, you've missed a lot of interesting things.
The story really takes off near episode 10.

Believe me.
If you're a Xelloss fan, you will greatly enjoy the way he's described in TRY (as a really TRUE demon : manipulative, treacherous and violent).
Quite far from the funny-dumby little devil he was in NEXT.

Xelloss in first pic = Never been that gorgeous

There's also the final ending (beautiful), the moral (why would demons side humans to protect the world ? ), the fights (greatly animated), the OST (Best evar), good secondary characters (the kobolt <3 ), a darker tone and, of course, the usual wacky situations.

I didn't like TRY the first time I watched it, because I expected some pairing developments. But I loved it the second time, because I've finally seen its others qualities. When you think TRY could be considered as a filler season (original anime material without link to the novels), the anime team did a great job.
Especially at today standards.

Old 2008-03-08, 04:43   Link #89
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I thought Try was great. I never understood the beef some people had with it. It's incredibly tough to top Next after all. It's only natural.
Old 2008-03-08, 04:43   Link #90
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I watched all of Slayers Try and I'm afraid I agree with Kaioshin_Sama that it was a tough watch. The season never did get that much better than episode 5. If they had never made a third season I wouldn't have missed it. Hopefully 4th season will be much better than that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-03-08, 06:10   Link #91
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I thought Try was great. I never understood the beef some people had with it. It's incredibly tough to top Next after all. It's only natural.
Agreed. The only thing I didn't like about it was while the first 2 seasons filler episodes were tolerable, TRY's were absolute hell to sit through. They were just that boring.

The rest of the season though? Great. I remember marathoning the last half of it one night and finishing and going to bed at like 7am. Good times.
Old 2008-03-08, 06:52   Link #92
grey_moon

@SuperKnuckles - As long as it isn't a squeeky hammer I'll be happy. I'm hoping we will get a couple of episodes dedicated to Lina and Gourry finding his replacement sword . Blast sword sounds interesting, is it something Lina is trying to posses as well?

@Try not as good as the rest.... - That is a tough cookie... I actually watched the Manga release with Lina and Naga first, and then I was lucky enough to get my dirty paws on S1 and S2 so I could marathon them. At first I was a little put off with the lack of bouncy boobs, but I was easily won over by the scooby gang.

I've since marathon all 3 series back to back several times (lots of caffeine), and I can't really say which I prefer more. I guess its just one big slayers blur to me, and its pretty much chock full of fun fillers.

Personally I loved Try
Old 2008-03-08, 14:23   Link #93
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
From the posts above, the opinions appear to be kinda split in this regard.

Nothing else to do but to watch and judge for myself.
Old 2008-03-08, 16:23   Link #94
Graus
grumpy guy in #mirrormoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Hmm I don't think they would dare butcher Slayers. The other two were not as well established and loved as Slayers is. Me thinks lynching on a global scale would go on. I'm willing to give them a chance to redeem themselves. I mean would Megumi silently sit to one side and let them butcher Lina? I certainly hope not...
I dont think they'd butcher any of the characters at least.
Megumi has stated in previous interviews that if she'd ever be asked to return to VA role for Lina. She'd take the offer in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastzel View Post
I know in the original manga, more happens after what was made into Slayers Try. Anyone know anything about that, that maybe they could use in the new season as well?
I'm interested in seeing what they'll do because Slayers Try never "existed" from the novel point of view.
If I recall right, Gourry lost his sword back when they were dealing with Hellmaster
Spoiler:

Last edited by Graus; 2008-03-08 at 16:40. Reason: Trying to figure things out
Old 2008-03-08, 16:57   Link #95
X10A_Freedom

On the contrary, I found NEXT to be a tough watch and totally drove me up the wall. Martina was just such an incredibly annoying character who didn't really add much to the story at all yet she got so much screentime.

In the first season, the wacky situations they got themselves into seemed all part of the story but in NEXT, it was so irritating the word "filler" was circulating in my head and it only redeemed itself after the bit where the little demon kid tried to pickpocket money off Lina. Although Lina's attempts at mastering the Raguna blade and the associated battles were great to watch, I feel the least attached to 2/3 of NEXT.

(Although the Try filler episodes after everyone got blasted into the 4 corners of the world were painful).
Old 2008-03-09, 02:50   Link #96
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I'll go off on tangent and say I actually liked the Try fillers. I just enjoy seeing the character personally. I don't think the fillerific stuff even matters that much in the context of the shows since there's just so much of it. Though I always enjoyed the acting/stage oriented fillers ever since season 1. Hopefully season 4 will have something similar.
Old 2008-03-10, 10:09   Link #97
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'll go off on tangent and say I actually liked the Try fillers. I just enjoy seeing the character personally. I don't think the fillerific stuff even matters that much in the context of the shows since there's just so much of it. Though I always enjoyed the acting/stage oriented fillers ever since season 1. Hopefully season 4 will have something similar.
I totally agree with you. Actually the only filler I didn't like was pig island. That pig ruined fish net stockings for me
Old 2008-03-10, 20:02   Link #98
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
o h man i m downloading all the seasons again i gonna rewatch it, f***ing nostalgia
Old 2008-03-10, 20:06   Link #99
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Yeah, I liked TRY a lot (aside from its terrible filler) and thought the first half-ish of NEXT was horrible.

I think everyone can agree the first season was great, though.
Old 2008-03-11, 02:00   Link #100
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Holy crud, they have a HUGE interview with Megumi Hayashibara and now it's basically confirmed that all five of the major characters will have the same seiyuu (even Amelia's seiyuu, which I was concerned about)

http://homepage3.nifty.com/QPHOUSE/s-again.html
Closed Thread

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, fantasy