Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-02, 01:22   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Question What makes you unique?

This should be a fun thread. Tell us the things about yourself that set you apart from the rest of crowd. Tell us the things that make you....well, you. I'll start us off.

************************************************** ***********************************

I don't drink alcohol, coffee, or carbonated beverages, all for various different reasosns. When asked tonight what was the "baddest" thing I've ever done, after a thorough search through my memory all I could recall was making fun of a kid in middle school, driving around at night and throwing water balloons at people in high school, and stealing wood from nearby houses in my neighboorhood that were under construction so I could build a fort in my backyard when I was 13 (almost lead me to become an architect ). When I went to college, instead of taking the typical American teenager "I'm on my own and free from my parents" approach to getting drunk every week and nearly failing out of school, I somehow took the opposite road and became ever more pure and studious (with absolutely no influence outside of college). I am the type that goes against the flow. I enjoy activities and hobbies more when they are not what everyone else is doing.

At 22, I'm probably one of the few guys who has never had a girlfriend, or a real kiss (although I don't necessarily think of this as a bad thing). The recreational literature I enjoy the most are books on advanced sciences (right now I'm reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, which is a wonderful book on the general and special theories of relativity, quantum mechanics, super string theory, and the current state of modern theoretical physics. I recommend it to everyone). I always feel the need to prove myself to others, so I work hard in school to gain the respect of my professors and peers. I remain unsatisfied with myself, no matter how many goals I achieve or how well I perform on anything, I always strive to push myself further and accomplish more. If I had to say what my major goal was in life was, I would say to help make as many people's lives all over the world better by making great accomplishments in my field (computer engineering).

************************************************** ***********************************

Ok I've blabbed more than enough about myself. I think this has potential to be a fun thread.
Old 2004-09-02, 01:40   Link #2
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

I don't use metal forks and spoons to eat, plastic only. The presence of metal in my mouth brings back past memories of experimentation in aluminium foil chewing.
Old 2004-09-02, 01:44   Link #3
aahhsin

I'm better then you.

You guys should read my Bio on this page sometimes.
Old 2004-09-02, 01:53   Link #4
ramune

Oh god, Roots. I've found a lot of similarities between you and me.

I totally dislike alcohol and smoking, and I don't like going to clubs either. While all my other friends are out clubbing and getting high, I would stay home and study/watching anime instead.

I am as well a science nerd. I read my college physics, chemistry, and astronomy textbooks for fun, and I do have more knowledge on computers than most of my friends. Also even though I'm only 19, I still haven't had a girlfriend, and I'm pretty sure I won't be having one at age 22.

Guess that makes you less "unique" huh?

Edit: I forgot to put what's unique about me - I sleep on my stomach.

Last edited by ramune; 2004-09-02 at 02:13.
Old 2004-09-02, 02:28   Link #5
ShadowX114
is my nickname

ramune, your not unique on something.....I also sleep on my stomach

Let's see....I'm 17 and I never went clubbing It's not that I dont like to but I never went. I tried once with my friends as an after prom but where I live, all clubs are 18+ so they didn't accept us >_< well..I was kind of ^_^ because I didn't want to dance with girls who are 20+
Old 2004-09-02, 03:39   Link #6
HK anime seeker
Looks fun...Time to jump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowX114
ramune, your not unique on something.....I also sleep on my stomach

Let's see....I'm 17 and I never went clubbing It's not that I dont like to but I never went. I tried once with my friends as an after prom but where I live, all clubs are 18+ so they didn't accept us >_< well..I was kind of ^_^ because I didn't want to dance with girls who are 20+
Um... are you (gay as in homo)? I realy hope not
Old 2004-09-02, 05:00   Link #7
junko
model bliss

Well, um, I'm a writer, and a biochem major, as well. I went through odd phases when I was younger. I wanted to be a writer, then I got interested in philosophy when I was 13 (that didn't last very long); mythology (still); astronomy; Hinduism, Buddism, Islam; Sanskrit; Fibonacci numbers and Golden Ratios (almost as short as philosophy), chemistry; biochemistry; and, now, writing again. I've been published, once, in a large book of poems ( no monetary compensation, alas). I've stolen a stop sign. I don't really drink coffee or tea, but I love my Dr. Pepper. I play the flute and dance very well. I like archery. I can never get a full night's rest without showering. Oh, yes, and I have a dent in my forehead.
Old 2004-09-02, 06:12   Link #8
Shadowlord
~DESU

well, I am Canadian, thats unique

I don't like hockey ( unique because i'm Canadian)
I don't smoke, do drugs, drink, steal, that kind of stuff. I never lie (just stretch the truth to the breaking point), dont have a girlfriend. Don't care what others think of me, lets see, well, I guess that is it for them most part, i'm sure there are a few others.
Old 2004-09-02, 07:04   Link #9
Secca
nya`
*Artist

This doesn't really make me any unique but I think reallity is so over rated.

I'll take manga and anime anytime. ^^
Old 2004-09-02, 07:21   Link #10
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Cool

What makes Scrumhalf unique? Hmm..

My left-arm bicep is quite bigger than my right arm bicep (I'm right-handed, & pratically do everything with it. From cardio workouts to helping-out.)

Unlike those car n00bs out there; I can manage to paint my calipers, rotors, & brake pads, & use them with ease and without burning the interiors and causing the paint to burn. Obviously you're not supposed to do such a ridicilous thing; but I'm one of a kind.
I should not do it to the Lexus that my sister's giving me soon.

I like being naked. It's my favourite attire at home. Don't ask me why. Sometimes I wished nakedness could one day become accepted in society so I could walk down the streets and into the pub feeling 'myself at home'. Mind you my missus loves it when I'm naked too.

On a sporting note; I prefer to get my team runner to provide me with a bottle of light Sterling or Stella instead of a Gatorade or water during intense games of club or representative rugby. Somehow beer makes me concentrate better.

Speaking of beer; I can manage to skull 5 mugs of Guinness Draught without knocking meself out. And they say only Irishmen can do it and it's a way of identifying them. Well oddly, I'm Asian.

Last edited by Scrumhalf; 2004-09-02 at 07:47.
Old 2004-09-02, 07:43   Link #11
Lime-chan
Pandoras child

Send a message via ICQ to Lime-chan
Cool

Uhm... what makes me unique? Lots of practice, I presume

Naah, lesse... I love to confuse and/or fool people (the funny, not the sadistic way^^)
I'm allergic to animals - which doesn't prevent me from having a smaller zoo in my house.
Then there is the stupid habit of washing my hands whenever possible.

And what really ticks people around me off a lot:
Unfortunately I have an electrical field around me that is a LOT stronger than that of "normal" humans. Which means, I get *zapped* when I touch metal.
Some delicate equipment refuses to work when I'm near (I'm banned from the machines at the U!) and sometimes I walk into a room and TV will switch channels without anyone touching the remote control.

The last one freaks people out on a regularly basis. Which is kinda sad, really. I've been called names like psycho or looney, though I don't think I deserve it. *sniffels* But it's nothing I can help anyway, so there...

Of course I'm already freaky enough because I like manga/anime
Old 2004-09-02, 08:24   Link #12
Umbrae
Generic Human

My luck. I have extream luck. Weather good or bad is up in the air, but some of the most odd things happen to me.

I go to asia, hoping to pick up some hot asian girls. Find, and pick up a professional modle from europe. . . She happend to have an aussie roomate too. . . (that was a realy good B-day).

Get arrested, charged, finned and jailed for a week late video tape.

Things of this nature have repeated throught my life. I have lived in more places than I am years old, yet I have lived in the same house for over 5 years more than once.

I have lived in a car 4 times. yet, when I was younger, my family was considered well to do. I have gone to private schools, had home tutors, and gone to public schools in 5 differnt states.

I've been shot at 3 times, never been shot. Watched 2 people get shot.

I have heald a friend as he died slowly and painfully, I've watched children be raped.

I have found over $500 on the street.

at 25, this I know is just the begining and am rather interested to see where life will take me later. Where ever it goes, I just hope I enjoy the ride this time. Oh all that, and I am a half black, half native american, black foot tribe. I have only met 1 other person of similar mix.
Old 2004-09-02, 09:38   Link #13
Ending

There is absolutely nothing unique in me: I sleep on mys stomach, study at uni, never smoke/drink, etc, etc, etc... Wait; does that make me unique? 'Not being special?'
Old 2004-09-02, 11:24   Link #14
full_metal_31
*anime lova*

Send a message via MSN to full_metal_31
hm...wat makes me unique....hmmm...besides rolling my tongue ..i party so much in one day and i'm never tierd....if that is unique....=P
Old 2004-09-02, 11:38   Link #15
Necrodeath

My DNA....
Oh, and the fact that I like pain and bleeding is also pretty unique, well....sort of....
Also the fact that my current record of a single conversation with someone is now umm, 8 hours straight. One conversation, one other person.
Old 2004-09-02, 11:42   Link #16
TronDD
Team the box!

I sleep on my stomach, too.

I'm left handed.

25 and no girlfriends and I don't expect one. I'm just not at all social. I prefer sitting at my computer to being around people. People freak me out. Might even be a phobia, really... I get nervous thinking about being around people (like right now).

No alcohol or any other perception altering drug. I hate the idea of messing with my brain. I didn't take a single pain killer when I had all 4 wisdom teath out. I don't even use cold medicine or asprin. Plus I see people get drunk and be real a-holes are do really stupid stuff. I don't want that to be me.

Never gotten a speeding ticket or even been pulled over. I'm a very safe and curtious driver. I never really got in trouble as a kid, either.

I hate food. And I hate eating. Food is a big part of life and I just don't like it. I don't like strong flavors and I don't like strange textures. The only food I can enjoy eating is pasta. No lie, 95% of what I eat is pasta. I don't even like to put sauce on it. Butter and cheese, though. Mmmm. In fact, I'm about to have some Mac and Cheese for lunch and I will probably have a plate of pasta for dinner....again.

The biggest thing would be my extreme dislike of guys objectifying women. I absolutely hate it when an attractive girl walks by and some guy says something totaly disrespectful like "I'd hit that" or usually something much more explicit. It bothers me in real life, it bothers me on forums, and I can't get away from it in this male dominated, sex-sells, society. Arg.
Old 2004-09-02, 12:01   Link #17
Cthugua
正八位衛門大志

Let's see what makes me unique? Probably the fact that I am extremely weak to alcohol. After drinking a glass of champagne, I turned blood red, and got a hangover from that. Part of the reason I never drink anymore, therefore sparing from all the dance/party/bar madness that most people my age get into. As a result, I did end up being nerdy, reading mythology, philosophy, science, and classic literatures. Also, like a number of people who posted here, I never had any girlfriend at the age of 20 (guess it's not so unique after all).

One special skill that I'm really proud of is blending into the background. People just never notice me even though I am there. This allows me to creep up to people and pull pranks and steal away without anybody noticing. The very reason that I am nicknamed "Ninja Master"

Hm...what else? I can speak Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, and English quite fluently as well as bits of French.

Oh, and I'm another Canadian who totally despise hockey
Old 2004-09-02, 12:14   Link #18
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
Is it just me; or do I feel like I'm the only jock hanging around AnimeSuki?

Mind you I can & have otaku-like qualities as well.
Old 2004-09-02, 12:34   Link #19
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Is it just me; or do I feel like I'm the only jock hanging around AnimeSuki?

Mind you I can & have otaku-like qualities as well.
Depends on what you interpret 'jock' as. I exercise daily and I love playing team sports like soccer, etc. (even if I'm not good at them). I think jock is almost as vague of a classification as nerd. In some ways, I fit both (a jocky-nerd, now that's unique)
Old 2004-09-02, 12:36   Link #20
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrae
My luck. I have extream luck. Weather good or bad is up in the air, but some of the most odd things happen to me.
[...]
at 25, this I know is just the begining and am rather interested to see where life will take me later. Where ever it goes, I just hope I enjoy the ride this time. Oh all that, and I am a half black, half native american, black foot tribe. I have only met 1 other person of similar mix.
I'm inspired that you can go through all that and still be looking foward to the rest. I've been pretty sheltered my whole life so I can only attempt to relate. I don't think my life is unique at all, I'm sure it's been lived before

I am extremely spacy, which can sometimes -seem- like uniqeness...but It's really just a character flaw -_-
Closed Thread