AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-12, 13:53   Link #1
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Monster Movie

Im surprised no one put this up, this is about 8 months old I believe. Anywho, Josh Olsen will be screen-writing the Monster movie, based on the anime, for New Line Cinema.

Not much info, but more info here.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6987
Old 2006-02-14, 05:26   Link #2
ShikaShika
無罪

I'm sure they won't have to cut anything out. Suppose it's set in the US too... Even though that would seriously screw the plot up. Perhaps Johan and Anna are Mexican refugees?
Old 2006-02-14, 08:35   Link #3
Rosa Mystica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
I'm sure they won't have to cut anything out. Suppose it's set in the US too... Even though that would seriously screw the plot up. Perhaps Johan and Anna are Mexican refugees?
Mexican? If they do screw up the script then I'm sure as hell not gonna watch it. But to be honest I can see this going into Development Hell with the Akira movie that was once meant to come out.
Old 2006-02-14, 09:17   Link #4
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
Don't think they'll do that. The European setting is central to the whole plot of the Monster's origins, with Neo Nazis and Cold War Communist regimes thrown in, and the main character Tenma as a foreigner living and travelling alone in Europe enhances the sense of alienation and darkness of the series.

Mexico just doesn't seem dark and exotic enough, especially if they're going to have an American Tenma, which is likely, it'll be too near America.
Old 2006-02-14, 15:01   Link #5
Cookichu

Hmm...so far by what you people are saying I'm not expecting to find this movie all that interesting. I love the current plotline that they have now and if they "Americanize" it I probably won't like it as much.

What exactly are they going to do in the movie anyways? Is it suppose to be a basic summary of Monster? If so I probably won't like it...a summary would leave out too many of the parts that I liked seeing (which was basically all of it) so I wouldn't enjoy it as much. So far...not really looking forward to this movie...
Old 2006-02-14, 15:26   Link #6
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
we had talked about the movie before the boards crashed. Nonew info has come out soI guess nothing new to talk about.

We should all just wait an see what it is like before we start saying "I don't wanna see it"
Old 2006-02-15, 08:34   Link #7
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Argh... Movie... how can it show... I have a bad feeling about it.
Old 2006-02-16, 03:43   Link #8
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Its a live action movie, not animated...
Old 2006-02-16, 05:38   Link #9
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Yes... I know... but really... it... feels weird./
Old 2006-03-02, 22:35   Link #10
Mumei

The screenwriter, Josh Olson, also did A History of Violence. That was based off of a graphic novel, and was critically acclaimed.

It is possible that they don't screw it up.
Old 2006-03-04, 18:33   Link #11
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

How the hell does one transform such a complex and long storyline into a movie? That usually fails even with relatively short books. I'd imagine that the Mosnster plotline if turned into a book wouldn't be very short. I just see them going for the shock value and action while abandoning most of the plot and character development. There are too many key moments and some of them are bound to be omitted, unless the movie happens to be six-hours long or something like that.

Old 2006-03-04, 18:45   Link #12
Rosa Mystica

Fair do if they keep it like how the Monster specials are then yeah it can work because that felt like an movie watching it.
Old 2006-03-05, 16:43   Link #13
grfd567

Well in matters of time, yeah probably some of those parts were there wasn't much going on in terms of development of plot, will probably be cut or shortened. However it would be sad really since at least for me, those parts are what build up this complex story and made it more believable and great. It might be a very difficult thing to convey this story in a movie format, but I mean i don't think it will happen but if anything I wouldn't mind the movie being broken up into two or three parts, as long as the plot and all the essential details that made this story so great are intact. Though this probably won't happen since it would require alot of money and they would have to depend on the first movie to do exceptionally well in order to continue with the others. But well i guess we'll just have to wait for more news. One of the things I really would like to say is that i wouldn't want this movie to be filled with all that CGI stuff, I would like to see good old fashion stunts here, since there's not much to do they would have to focus alot in making those explosions look really great and real (especially the Library Fire part). Wow just thinking about how it could turn out its just so exciting
Oh by the way has anyone seen that commercial VIZ has on tv promoting the Monster Manga? haha I just saw it last night and it took me by surprise and it looks cool too. I'm gonna buy the first volume some time soon. I hope this commercial (and others perhaps?) really help MONSTER (and others) get more fans and more exposure.
Old 2006-03-11, 20:13   Link #14
gibits
Endless

It's gonna suck. No offense to the Americans here (I'm an american too) but none of the white people will want to watch an asian male lead, unless he's doing kung-fu kicks. America won't pay to see some Jap or chinaman (did I mention I was an ABC?) doing something great.

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic but that is the truth of Hollywood, and America in general.
Old 2006-09-14, 11:52   Link #15
Rungelunge

More info from Josh Olson:
http://reporter.blogs.com/risky/2006...ng_graphi.html

I don't know why but I think the entire Munich arc will be cut.

regards
Old 2007-06-17, 12:15   Link #16
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
omg information i swear i was like um haven't heard anything since it was announced. Evem if this is older news it is somthing. I wonder when the hec it will be released.
Old 2007-06-18, 23:11   Link #17
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

I just generally assumed that this movie is sitting in "developer's hell."
Old 2007-08-12, 03:46   Link #18
YUNERO

Boy! This gonna be a hell for the script writer. Imagine that to compress 74 episodes of anime plot into 2-3 hours movie story line? That just simply ridiculous....
Old 2007-08-12, 04:32   Link #19
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i have read an interview with guillermo del toro (director of el laberinto del fauno/pan's labyrinth) who said he thought monster would make a brilliant live action miniseries for hbo, but that it shouldn't be made into a movie.
Old 2007-10-19, 17:13   Link #20
Freeze

I actually think that would be a better Idea to turn it into a Mini-Series than a movie manly for the suspense factor and also how do you turn a 75 ep show into a 2hr movie? but on wikipedia it does say that the guy making the script will also make a seond one for a sequal so it ould be like 35 eps but still.
Closed Thread