AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-06-11, 23:18   Link #25361
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
The problem is, I know my stuff's not perfect.

When i get no comments towards anything of the like, I wonder "what's wrong with my fic?"

Not to mention that I'd like comments on things specifically in the chapter. Anything that sticks out. Cuz I write, and I really like a specific scene that I did, but I get no comments on any scenes, it makes me go "did anyone even like it?" even if I get comments saying "good job", I sometimes wonder if anyone even read any of the scenes.
I know what you mean. In G-Squad I thought I wrote a nice scene showcasing the bond between Otto and Deed, two lesser used characters. But generally the stuff that gets comments is the hilarious stuff and romance. Sorta like how it's mainly NanoFate stories on ff.net that get tons of comments.

But as I've said time and again, you just gotta write for yourself. People will read or not, comment or not, but if you focus on your story, you'll find those that enjoy it. Crisis and RJD still gets almost 1,000 visitors a month(almost 2k hits) despite the low numbers of reviews, and it's mainly because I just wanted to write a story and if some people enjoyed it, that's enough. I can't speak to your traffic, but I gather people are reading, which means they enjoy it, even if they don't comment.

So take some heart.^^ There's also people like me, who don't tend to read things until they're complete, because if chapters are sparse, I forget what happened before and have to re-read, heh. And I just like to read things in one setting, like I do with books. Just the comfort of knowing the whole story is there. Pet peeves of mine are stories that drag on, or are never finished, heh. I hate getting into something, only to have years go by with no updates and no conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest Dynasty View Post
I actually have a terrible habit of not commenting unless there's something that really needs to be said. Despite this, I also feel kinda bad when I get few to little comments.

That said, I suppose I don't get much because I write with OCs...

Propagating the problem, awww yeah.
Yeah, I'll admit to that, too. Though as I said, I don't tend to read things unless they are complete. And yeah, I'm not sure how the OC scene is for this fandom, but I've never been too big on fics focusing on OC's; just not my thing, although more power to ya as long as you write something you enjoy.^^
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 23:35   Link #25362
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The fact that Shadowsverse fics--and, by extension, any non-shipping or non-romance fic that isn't crack--getting attention is fairly recent.

I distinctly remember when writing A Path Through Remembrance, that nobody commented on it (except for RB and Dezo, really) and others *coughtk* flamed me for it. At that point, every little romance fluff/drabble/lemony-flavored thing would get 458532753 pages of comments and discussion.

I think it's only fair that those of us who don't write romance get a shot at having our work discussed and critiqued.
Old 2010-06-11, 23:36   Link #25363
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
I actually have a terrible habit of not commenting unless there's something that really needs to be said. Despite this, I also feel kinda bad when I get few to little comments.

That said, I suppose I don't get much because I write with OCs...

Propagating the problem, awww yeah.
I actually like your OCs, Tempest (though Kaon is some one else's, right?)! I'd love to read more about them

@Nanya: Can't focus right now, so I'll read your new chapter tomorrow!
Old 2010-06-11, 23:37   Link #25364
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Quote:
So... Here's a little something...

Honestly, I don't think it's complete, but I'll see what (if any) comments I get for it.

Spoiler for Day in the Life Chapter 37:

I wonder how many people want to kill me right now...

*Claims the page in the name of protective shields*
Nanyaaaa you've got some s'plainin' to do~~~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Yeah, I'll admit to that, too. Though as I said, I don't tend to read things unless they are complete. And yeah, I'm not sure how the OC scene is for this fandom, but I've never been too big on fics focusing on OC's; just not my thing, although more power to ya as long as you write something you enjoy.^^
Ehh, some people do like it, since I use a mostly-harmless OC (Kevin). Plus, the most recent one has the Materials (and Reinforce, indirectly) entering the cast as permanent members. The other OC (Noland), I have a smaller audience but they like it too, so I guess I'm satisfied (though I'd like more readers, but doesn't everyone?). The OC scene... well, we have a dedicated thread to it, something that many other series on ASuki don't.

EDIT: Goddamnit ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I actually like your OCs, Tempest (though Kaon is some one else's, right?)! I'd love to read more about them

@Nanya: Can't focus right now, so I'll read your new chapter tomorrow!
:3

Yes, Kaon is The Shiny Sword's OC, and I'm gradually writing more. I guess you've already visited my index (link is sig image).
Old 2010-06-11, 23:40   Link #25365
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm actually surprised at how well-received Celica Iris-Lynnfield has been. FFT usually doesn't like OCs, but I think the acceptance factor is pretty much fueled by how RB has embraced my little morally ambiguous computer nerd.

Also that cooking-themed fic was awesome, please do continue it! And continue with the recipies!
Old 2010-06-11, 23:41   Link #25366
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
The fact that Shadowsverse fics--and, by extension, any non-shipping or non-romance fic that isn't crack--getting attention is fairly recent.

I distinctly remember when writing A Path Through Remembrance, that nobody commented on it (except for RB and Dezo, really) and others *coughtk* flamed me for it. At that point, every little romance fluff/drabble/lemony-flavored thing would get 458532753 pages of comments and discussion.

I think it's only fair that those of us who don't write romance get a shot at having our work discussed and critiqued.
Non-shipping or Non-romance? Aren't all Shadowverse fics ViCia?
Old 2010-06-11, 23:44   Link #25367
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Non-shipping or Non-romance? Aren't all Shadowverse fics ViCia?
That much is implied, but only RB's fics are specifically focused on romance.

Dezo's is not, SoJ's is focused on Chrono.

false light is uh, well there is that little exchange between Vivio and Lutecia early on, but the genre is suspense and action, not romance.

I'm not bashing you, I'm just saying it's nice to finally be getting my inane ramblings discussed, and more specifically, critiqued. Yeah, it's "just fanfiction," but any critique will help me improve my writing skills.

Now if only I can actually work on my original stuff. The problem is, I lose interest in these things if I don't have anyone to share my creations with. Nobody I know really wants to peer into my head and my original works--RB does occasionally, but the conversation generally winds up turning back to Nanoha fanfiction. Somehow. I don't know.
Old 2010-06-11, 23:47   Link #25368
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Quote:
Thank you for the support. Thanks to Yasanagi, Nya~n, and WarpObscura for speaking up too. Nanya and Satashi as well, who are always having to put up with me

I'm feeling a bit better now. Hopefully my mood'll pass once I get more than 4 hours of sleep...

Well, while the flamers factor into it a bit, I think what's worse is that this community we have here which is supposed to be supportive isn't being very supportive. I've noticed in the past few weeks that any fic not set in the Shadowverse gets only one or two comments. Heck, the past few chapters of Nanya's Day in the Life have only me and deathcurse saying anything about them. Maybe people are just busy or on vacation or something, but then again as said before any Shadowverse fic posted gets pages of discussion. Heck, I had posted 2 fic ideas not too long ago but no one even acknowledged their existence.

It would just be nice to know that people care and appreciate the work of others, even if all they have to say is "I liked it." That's why it's my vow to review everything I read so that no one else feels neglected.
Truth be told, I must admit that I could be saying more. I'm by nature a taciturn person and struggle to contribute anything useful to a discussion; if you might have noticed from my FF.Net profile, I was too enthusiastic in fav-ing things back in the day, and seem to have made a 180 now.

Oh, and any chance of updating Three's Company?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 23:57   Link #25369
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Honestly, I've noticed Nanoha readers on FF.net tend to be pretty taciturn as a whole; I consider a chapter in one of my multi-chapter fics successful if it gets three reviews before I post the next one. I know more people than that are reading them, because I'll get messages saying the story has been put on alert or so forth, but they don't review.

By contrast, check out my story list sometime and see what the Bleach fandom reviews like. I'll give you a hint: it's the one story that has almost literally ten times more reviews than all of my Nanoha fics. Combined. Granted, most of them are a few words long at best, but it still feels nice that they took the time to type those few words.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:12   Link #25370
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

Suddenly, due to in part of Neon Genesis Evangelion Rebuild 2.22's use of Tsubasa wo Kudasai, I've been hankering to write a scene where the song is simultaneously appropriate and inappropriate, like a life and death struggle for the very right to live.

Extra points for victory through superior willpower.
Old 2010-06-12, 00:13   Link #25371
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I know the feeling. MGLN fans tend to be a tight-lipped bunch, don't we? false light gets a lot of reads, but most of the reviews... Dezo wrote.
Old 2010-06-12, 00:18   Link #25372
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

There's a way to get more reviews, but I say it in a sarcastic sense. I'm sure most of you are aware of what sort of topic needs to be prevalent in a story.

Also, synaesthetic, play some Metro 2033 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for that post-apoc fix.
Old 2010-06-12, 00:20   Link #25373
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Nanyaaaa you've got some s'plainin' to do~~~!
*Hides behind shields* That a good thing or a bad thing?

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:21   Link #25374
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
*Hides behind shields* That a good thing or a bad thing?
Told ya you'd need your impenetrable safety bubble when you posted this chapter. :V
Old 2010-06-12, 00:29   Link #25375
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
There's a way to get more reviews, but I say it in a sarcastic sense. I'm sure most of you are aware of what sort of topic needs to be prevalent in a story.

Also, synaesthetic, play some Metro 2033 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for that post-apoc fix.
I am re-playing Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, but I've played it a bajillion times so it's not really new.

I am in a fantasy mood after FO3, but I intend to play Metro 2033 eventually. Already done S.T.A.L.K.E.R., all three. CoP was best.

Thinking about Dragon Age.

(I'll stop being offtopic now!)
Old 2010-06-12, 00:35   Link #25376
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I am re-playing Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, but I've played it a bajillion times so it's not really new.
... ... ... one of my three favorite games of all time, right up there with Chrono Trigger and Persona 4. Three games I love so much I could never pick a favorite between them.

And you've reminded me I really ought to finish Fallout 3 one of these days, too.

And now I will stop being off-topic.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 00:58   Link #25377
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Truth be told, I must admit that I could be saying more. I'm by nature a taciturn person and struggle to contribute anything useful to a discussion
Well, like Moczo said, even just a few words are enough to let some one know you're actually reading something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Oh, and any chance of updating Three's Company?
Heh, well I've had part of chapter 2 done for awhile... I guess I could post it.

Three's Company chapter 2 Partial

Chapter 1 here

The story so far: Nanoha and Fate go on a romantic getaway, leaving Yuuno to babysit Vivio.

Spoiler for Three's Company chapter 2 Partial:

Quote:

Suddenly, due to in part of Neon Genesis Evangelion Rebuild 2.22's use of Tsubasa wo Kudasai, I've been hankering to write a scene where the song is simultaneously appropriate and inappropriate, like a life and death struggle for the very right to live.

Extra points for victory through superior willpower.
I'm still partial to Come Sweet Death myself

Last edited by 00-Raiser; 2010-06-12 at 01:34.
00-Raiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-12, 01:07   Link #25378
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Heh, well I've had part of chapter 2 done for awhile... I guess I could post it.

Three's Company chapter 2 Partial

The story so far: Nanoha and Fate go on a romantic getaway, leaving Yuuno to babysit Vivio.

Spoiler for Three's Company chapter 2 Partial:
... how did I miss the first chapter of this. How.

Must go find it and read it.
Old 2010-06-12, 01:35   Link #25379
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... how did I miss the first chapter of this. How.

Must go find it and read it.
Updated the post with a link to chapter one

It's a fic I posted long before I started coming to AS.
Old 2010-06-12, 01:41   Link #25380
NeoEevee

...so, assuming there are any other Kingdom Hearts fans here, what does everybody think of these conspiracy theories/Wild Mass Guessings that I'm incorperating into my crossover fics?

er... take note I haven't looked into most of the supplementary material yet, or actually... played Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. So if anything in here is inaccurate... it's my fault, because I Did Not Do The Research. ^^;;
  • Vexen/Even is Alicia's biological father.

Seeing as how it's completely up to fans of both series to decide how the timeline of KH aligns with the timeline of Nanoha, assuming you place both at the right time, this can make sense chronologically. The scenario plays out as such:

Several years before either KH: Birth by Sleep or the first season of Nanoha, Precia was married to Even, and they had a daughter by the name of Alicia. Even was away on business... somewhere... when the incident that killed Alicia happened. After Precia was exiled, Even decided to go incognito and became an apprentice and scientist under Ansem the Wise in Radiant Garden. It was about four years later when MGLN happened, and another five or so before BBS happened.

Firstly, with that sort of timing, Vexen would be about the right age. Ignoring the complications behind whether or not Nobodies age (Tetsuya Nomura has said "no", all implications point to "yes"... I think it's based on one's mentality, personally), Vexen was, IIRC, about forty when he became a Nobody. Subtract nine total years between Nobody-ification and the Alhazard Incident, plus another three or four years for how old Alicia would've been when she died, and Vexen would've been in his late-twenties when Alicia was born.

Further more, this explains where Fate would've gotten her blond hair, since her mother had purple hair and we see none of Fate's other biological relatives. If Vexen/Even had heard about Project F, this would explain his fascination with cloning and the Replicas.
    Spoiler for KH: Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days:

• Axel and Saix were training to be mages right before they became a Nobodies. Further more, Axel is Erio's older brother.

This is more a pure fanfiction idea that I had to modify when BBS came out, but here's the scenario:

Lea and Isa, Axel's and Saix's Somebodies, were in training to be mages. They were in the academy, but probably hadn't gotten their Devices yet (this would explain that weird frisbee thing I've seen Lea holding in pictures - I imagine he would've had a Device that looks like a giant ninja star. Or something). They come home to Radiant Garden for some downtime... and BAM! Heartless disaster. Stuff goes bad and next thing you know, you're waking up in Twilight Town without a Heart.

As for Axel/Lea being Erio's older brother... did we ever get confirmation that Erio's parents were... hang on... *runs to Nanoha wikia* never mind. Lea might've been old enough that he moved to another world on his own, with his buddy Isa. It would explain the WTF-hair colors (as Axel/Lea has bright, bright red hair and Saix/Isa has blue hair. The only Radiant Gardianians we've seen with hair color anywhere near that is Ienzo, with his white hair, which even then could just be really light blond), and considering Nanoha moved to Mid-Childa when she was, presumably, a little older than Lea, he and Isa striking out on their own wouldn't be too out of the question.

Further more, didn't Erio's parents seem a little old when we saw them? They looked about the right age to have both a 16+-year-old son and a much younger one. I theorize that the boy Erio was cloned from died about a year (give or take a few months) after Lea became a Nobody -- it would've been their parents' despair over losing both their children that lead them to clone and replace Erio.

Finally, look at the two of them.
    Here's Lea:
    Spoiler for picture:

Here's Axel:
    Spoiler for picture:

Here's Erio, in StrikerS and in ViVid:
    Spoiler for pictures:

Allowing for differences in artistic style, doesn't Axel/Lea look a bit like the older Erio? Plus, they have similar spiky red hair.
And then the rest are purely fanfic-type things, like Master Xehanort having the Darklings of Nanoha, Fate, and Yuuno on stand-by, or Sora's outfit in KH2 functioning as a Barrier Jacket.

Or an alternate universe that plays like a Fusion Fic of KH and Nanoha. >w>;

So... what's up? xD; *shot*
NeoEevee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha