AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 01:16   Link #241
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I somehow doubt Frontier will top this, but I'll see someday when I do watch it. One question:

Spoiler for Macross:
No, she's not. But if you keep watching the Macross shows (Frontier is a sequel, but it's by no means the first sequel, nor the one you should watch next), you will meet one or two descendants.

If I were you, I'd watch Do You Remember Love and Flashback 2012 next. Macross Zero is also a good one to watch before you see Frontier. Macross Plus and Macross 7 are also recommended, but by no means essential.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 08:16   Link #242
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But if he doesn't watch at least one of those non-essentials, he won't see any descendants of Max and Milia.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 12:08   Link #243
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
But if he doesn't watch at least one of those non-essentials, he won't see any descendants of Max and Milia.
Goddess bless the souls of those who had to endure Macross 7, because Kawamori will certainly not.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 13:05   Link #244
magnuskn

It was nice for Max and Millia. And at the very least one of their spawn turned out to be okay ( hint: I didn't mean Mylene ).
Old 2011-01-07, 18:02   Link #245
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
True...but the impression I got from his post was that He was planning to go directly from SDFM to Frontier...which I believe all of us can agree is not the best way to go about it.

And as having a VERY divisive 49+ episode series in your way can be a stumbling block, I simply propose forgetting about it for now, and focusing only on the works that are most necessary for "getting" the references in Frontier.

No one can deny that Plus and 7 have the LEAST amount of effect on what goes on in Frontier...unless you count every appearance by Luca's Ghosts, or Island 1.
Old 2011-01-07, 19:48   Link #246
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah if Tempester wants to go straight into Frontier next, then Plus and 7 aren't needed. Still both are incredible parts of the franchise, and should be experienced.

Personally i'd recommend watching the franchise by release date. I'd say year order, though watching Zero before SDF is quite possibly the biggest mistake anyone could ever make.
Old 2011-01-08, 03:30   Link #247
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
No, she's not. But if you keep watching the Macross shows (Frontier is a sequel, but it's by no means the first sequel, nor the one you should watch next), you will meet one or two descendants.
Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Goddess bless the souls of those who had to endure Macross 7, because Kawamori will certainly not.

- Tak
What's so bad about it?

Quote:
True...but the impression I got from his post was that He was planning to go directly from SDFM to Frontier...which I believe all of us can agree is not the best way to go about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Yeah if Tempester wants to go straight into Frontier next, then Plus and 7 aren't needed. Still both are incredible parts of the franchise, and should be experienced.

Personally i'd recommend watching the franchise by release date. I'd say year order, though watching Zero before SDF is quite possibly the biggest mistake anyone could ever make.
To clear up any misunderstandings, I plan on watching Frontier after all of the other series in this order:

SDF Macross (finished)
Macross Plus
Macross 7 (might skip this one depending on its quality)
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier

I'm in no hurry to mow through this franchise either. I'll probably see DYRL somewhere in between. It's not high on my priority list because it's just a recap movie with better animation and music and probably some cool added scenes.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 04:57   Link #248
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That's the order i'd recommend, so nicely done.

& believe me, don't miss out on DYRL. It's much more then just a recap film, and easily being the greatest film i've ever seen, not to mention one of the best looking ones.
Old 2011-01-08, 09:07   Link #249
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I'm in no hurry to mow through this franchise either. I'll probably see DYRL somewhere in between. It's not high on my priority list because it's just a recap movie with better animation and music and probably some cool added scenes.
To echo Shiroth, it is NOT a recap film, and all the rest of the stories depend on it in one way or another.

I'm telling ya: Macross TV, DYRL, Flashback 2012.

You can trust me. I'm a doctor.
Old 2011-01-08, 11:21   Link #250
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I agree with Yot-chan, watch DYRL & Flashback while SDF is still fresh in your mind.
Old 2011-01-09, 04:55   Link #251
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
That's the order i'd recommend, so nicely done.

& believe me, don't miss out on DYRL. It's much more then just a recap film, and easily being the greatest film i've ever seen, not to mention one of the best looking ones.
Quote:
To echo Shiroth, it is NOT a recap film, and all the rest of the stories depend on it in one way or another.

I'm telling ya: Macross TV, DYRL, Flashback 2012.

You can trust me. I'm a doctor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I agree with Yot-chan, watch DYRL & Flashback while SDF is still fresh in your mind.
All righty. Thanks for the tips. I'll watch DYRL next as soon as I can.
Old 2011-01-09, 06:11   Link #252
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
it is the only macross series which I deleted it from my hard disk...

I have not watch the movie and 0va... Is it worth it?
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 04:58   Link #253
moncikoma

i am watching SDF tv series right now...

i dunno why...but i have to say...it is very enjoyable...

this is very cool!
Old 2011-01-13, 18:19   Link #254
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post

this is very cool!
I loved that part. It was priceless.
Old 2011-01-14, 03:05   Link #255
moncikoma

esspecially when on the gerwalk mode...haha

btw too bad minmay, and hikaru dont have a mobile phone...
they should have a blackberry at least @ that time... it is wierd not to have one...

so they can chit chat without being lonely anymore...

misa wont have to wait for hikaru from morning, on the table...
they are using a public phone insted...>.<
they should use some check in feature on facebook.. ..HAHA...

as for frontier...it more make sense...

there is a lot of event using funny gadget's, even though sheryl is not using it much...
alto and sheryl has less conversation on phone...compared to ranka

maybe she's...too busy
Old 2011-01-15, 06:37   Link #256
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

It brings a smile to my face whenever someone discovers good old SDFM for the very first time.

I'd just like to weigh in the discussion on watching Macross Plus before watching Frontier. Certain plot developments are somewhat related to Plus, thematically at least.

Alternatively, if you want to increase the WTF factor in Frontier, then yes, you don't have to watch Plus beforehand. Later on, when watching Plus, you may realize that, ah it was first done in Plus, somewhat.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 07:25   Link #257
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
It brings a smile to my face whenever someone discovers good old SDFM for the very first time.

I'd just like to weigh in the discussion on watching Macross Plus before watching Frontier. Certain plot developments are somewhat related to Plus, thematically at least.

Alternatively, if you want to increase the WTF factor in Frontier, then yes, you don't have to watch Plus beforehand. Later on, when watching Plus, you may realize that, ah it was first done in Plus, somewhat.
True. Again, I jumped to the (erroneous) conclusion that Tempester was planning on going directly from SDFM to Frontier, which I think is a mistake.

Personally, I think Frontier is best watched after you've already seen EVERYTHING Macross...preferably multiple times...but if you're in a hurry, there are definitely parts of the Macross story that can be skipped over (provided one returns to them later, of course).

And hey...I suppose this is as good a place as any to announce that for 2011, I'm embarking on my most ambitious translation project yet: that's right, I'm taking on MACROSS PERFECT MEMORY. The whole damn book.

I'm assuming it will take all of this year, if not longer, to complete...so don't expect it soon. But I'm doing it.
Old 2011-01-15, 07:56   Link #258
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post

Okay, I'll see Macross 7. Even if it's bad I'll still see it unless it ends up GODAWFUL (Like, Ore no Imouto bad. My apologies to any fans.).

Quote:
And hey...I suppose this is as good a place as any to announce that for 2011, I'm embarking on my most ambitious translation project yet: that's right, I'm taking on MACROSS PERFECT MEMORY. The whole damn book.

I'm assuming it will take all of this year, if not longer, to complete...so don't expect it soon. But I'm doing it.
Sounds great. What is it, anyway? An art book, or series history compendium?
Old 2011-01-15, 07:56   Link #259
magnuskn

Quote:

Sounds good. What was the book about again?
Old 2011-01-15, 08:11   Link #260
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Sounds great. What is it, anyway? An art book, or series history compendium?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Sounds good. What was the book about again?
http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/series_pm.htm

It's mostly an art book, with detailed episode synopses and lots and lots (AND LOTS) of line art.

There are a few things that make it VERY special, though. First, it's got two short stories: "The Plundering Fleet" (by Keniichi Matsuzaki), about Global and Misa's Dad during the Unification Wars, and "The Lost Two Years" (by Shoji Kawamori) about the period between the end of Space War I and the beginning of the "epilogue" section of the series.

Second, it's got a detailed and comprehensive history of the creation of the show, from the first planning conference in August of 1980, to the show's debut more than two years later. Early designs, storyboards, and three different synopses (first, as a 52-episode series; second, as a 48-episode series; and third, right before production started, as a 39-episode series) of the plot at different stages of the show's development.

Third, it's got commentary from every single major member of the staff and cast, with TONS of personal art done by the staff.

As MW sez, it's THE biggest and best book out there for the series.

It's also gonna be a real pain to translate...

Tags
action, mecha, romance