AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 10 16.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 40.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 28.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-30, 01:32   Link #61
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Liked this episode, although I think I prefer the previous two. I just didn't find things quite as tense as last week - although this may be as much my mood this week compared to last as anything else since I have far more going on right now than last weekend.

Loved the juggling of the various relationship threads and the twist with the new girl. As for Kou and Tohru, I prefer the Kou/Ohana pairing - I prefer Tohru as a foil for Ohana as opposed to a romantic interest.

I'm not actually sure that we're headed for a Ohana/Tohru ending at this point. Tohru has the momentum, but we saw how Ohana took Ko's confession and he was a much closer friend than Tohru. Ohana is just as oblivious to his feeling as she was to Kou's, and I suspect her response would be even more stressed and indecisive... it could even make her want to "retreat" to Ko. And of course, I think Ohana has stronger feelings for Ko than Tohru at the moment. Tohru needs to find a way to get her to start having feelings for him without making his interest known. Of course, the new girl is a wild card... there may not even be a Ko option later in the show.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2011-05-30, 01:59   Link #62
Mercurius.H
King of Hg

VA for Kou's co-worker, Igarashi Namiko, is Nanjou Yoshino, who acts in Canaan and also sings OP for Rail Gun.

I have discovered a truly remarkable signature which this margin is too small to contain.
Old 2011-05-30, 05:18   Link #63
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I'd have probably said that the first part of the episode was sort of predictable if I didn't completely relate with Ko without any shame whatsoever. Re-establishing that connection is unbelievably hard especially when a part of you wants to reconnect that friendship you once had, but the other part of you knows deep down inside in your heart that you desperately want things to be different this time around. And yet you know things will never be the same despite both your attempts to return to the status quo to some extent.

I was in an exact same situation nary 2 months ago. Ko may not have much personality right now, and maybe fate has decided to screw him in the ass today, but as a comrade in arms I commiserate with his situation and cheer for him. As far as Tohru's relationship with Ohana goes, that aspect can rot in hell for all I care, I'm cheering for the underdog in Ko and the underdog in all of us.

Anyway time for the blog post before I spill out my life story here.
Old 2011-05-30, 08:04   Link #64
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Sorry, but shipping wars or shipping bets are not welcome here (other than off topic). I've let you guys go ahead for a bit to see if it would stop alone, but here we were starting to have more posts about the "shipping wars" than about the episode.

As a result, some posts have been deleted. I can't even readdress you to a different thread, because shipping wars are not allowed since quite a while. In the beginning they may be funny for its participants, but in the long run they're bound to becoming rage generators and possibly flame territories.

And then, there's the True Tears matter.

Aside from my stance on it (I don't see that many similarities between TT and HanaIro, saving Tooru who looks like Jun, Mari Okada and P.A. Works), the problem here is that we're having a posts overflow about True Tears (and other series for that matter), not only in this thread, but in this subforum in general. Not a good sign or a good trend, because, see the Tooru thread, what has the last page of posts to do with the thread's subject? Answer: zero.

Is this perhaps due to the fact that since HanaIro doesn't have an original source to make comparison with, it is compared to other series instead? And do people feel such an urge to compare it with other series? (because for example, I don't). Please don't answer, those were open questions. I'll need to give it some thoughts.
Old 2011-05-30, 08:19   Link #65
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

love this episode even though I'm Ohana X Ko's supporter....
lol.... I wonder how can Tohru bring Ren~san went back to his normal state
I also enjoy Minchi X Tohru's scene in this episode....

Cheer up Ko! don't give up! try to collect some money and visit Ohana again... It will be perfect if you visit her in the next episode.... XD

Ohana is sick??!!! that's worthed to watch....
Old 2011-05-30, 09:32   Link #66
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ko is a very understated character in this series, and given the setting, very undeveloped and perhaps even unappreciated. What a lot of people don’t realize is that even in his absence, he is the major personal crutch of Ohana. Ohana thinks about him a lot, about his belief and opinions, and perhaps even more telling is when she wonders how Ko would react or assist in her situations. When Ko called her up to ask about her and where she is, it instead becomes an avenue for Ohana to again ask Ko for advice. For someone who once strove so much to be independent and capable, she relies on him a lot more than she realizes. What was supposed to be a chance for him to reconnect with her became a debriefing session, ending up with Ohana finding courage to continue on and thanking her best friend from the bottom of his heart. By helping her he sacrifices his opportunity to be with her and speak his mind. By giving her advice he somehow pushes her farther away. By being a great friend, his chance at romance goes down the crapper. Poor bastard.

Despite his obvious depression at his situation, he still did everything with a earnest and open heart befitting a true friend. It’s again ironic that by being a true friend he’s perhaps messing up his chances at being more than that with Ohana. But that’s who he is, he can’t leave Ohana alone and push his own terms at her, because he cares. He cares enough to know that she’s in trouble and that he should help her first, and make his own concerns second. He cares for her enough to swallow his pride, do what he can for her, even if it leaves him cold and dry. He cares (and perhaps loves?) her enough to know not to be selfish, to accept her impositions on him, even if in the end he’s sacrificing for it.

He is depressed, yes, but perhaps sacrifice is all part and parcel of his endeavor. It is the price he has to pay for his chance. He knows enough that being selfish on his part would take him nowhere. I’d say Ohana has learned to appreciate him even more than she already does. Absence had somehow made the heart grow fonder given the number of times she thinks of him. If anything, she’s probably starting to see him in a better light, a light that perhaps may shine on her and convince her that he’s serious, and maybe even cause a change within her owns self.

In any case...
Old 2011-05-30, 10:26   Link #67
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Why didn't Ko just stay at a hotel near Kissuiso and come visit Ohana later?
Cause he didn't know there was one.
Old 2011-05-30, 12:50   Link #68
matteas
Member Member

Nice episode. Kou's fruitless long travel made me pity him, yet I couldn't help but laugh at his failure at the same time. I'm a heartless man XD
Old 2011-05-30, 13:48   Link #69
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Ko is a very understated character in this series, and given the setting, very undeveloped and perhaps even unappreciated. What a lot of people don’t realize is that even in his absence, he is the major personal crutch of Ohana. Ohana thinks about him a lot, about his belief and opinions, and perhaps even more telling is when she wonders how Ko would react or assist in her situations. When Ko called her up to ask about her and where she is, it instead becomes an avenue for Ohana to again ask Ko for advice. For someone who once strove so much to be independent and capable, she relies on him a lot more than she realizes. What was supposed to be a chance for him to reconnect with her became a debriefing session, ending up with Ohana finding courage to continue on and thanking her best friend from the bottom of his heart. By helping her he sacrifices his opportunity to be with her and speak his mind. By giving her advice he somehow pushes her farther away. By being a great friend, his chance at romance goes down the crapper. Poor bastard.
I refuse to see it like that. I mean, I know that, on some level, you're right. But to me, what was supposed to be a chance for him to reconnect became a chance for him to reconnect. Instead of going there and meet her and... what? they once again started speaking. She relied on him. She took the initiative to call him without debating the decision for days. That's why I want to see it as a chance for him to start his counterattack. Against Ohana's unreadiness, against the circumstances that separated them.
Old 2011-05-30, 14:23   Link #70
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

MeoTwister5, I think I want to follow your blog now :O

I feel like I understand Ko a lot more now thanks to that post. It's true, he is unappreciated by most fans. Especially me. But now I can understand the struggles he is going through to try to be Ohana's friend and at the same time, her lover. Which is gonna be very hard and maybe impossible.

I hope to see him appear in the later episodes to see how he's going to face these problems and "counterattack". (I'm still rooting for Tooru though) But I hope he doesn't tell her to come home. That would be selfish and all of his chances of being with Ohana would go down the drain. So hopefully it would just be him thinking out loud.
Old 2011-05-30, 14:39   Link #71
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Cause he didn't know there was one.
or the other ones are too expensive...
Old 2011-05-30, 15:09   Link #72
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

That's a pretty nice analysis MeoTwister. I think it's important to note, though, that Ko did get pretty mad/jealous once he heard Tohru on the phone when he was talking to Ohana. Although that might've been for something else, it is an easy starting place for their friendship to start fracturing (on his end at least)
Old 2011-05-30, 17:53   Link #73
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMeow View Post
That's a pretty nice analysis MeoTwister. I think it's important to note, though, that Ko did get pretty mad/jealous once he heard Tohru on the phone when he was talking to Ohana. Although that might've been for something else, it is an easy starting place for their friendship to start fracturing (on his end at least)
Friendship shouldn't fracture as being friends does not mean any romantic attachment.

Girls can have "guy friends" and them not be the boyfriend.
Old 2011-05-31, 05:07   Link #74
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Friendship shouldn't fracture as being friends does not mean any romantic attachment.

When a guy has a romantic interest in a girl, where she would not, that could often lead to the breaking of the friendship itself. From Ko's pov, she's not as concerned with him as he would like her to be, and Tohru being right there doesn't help him very much.
Old 2011-05-31, 07:19   Link #75
revive4563

I watched episode 09 at last.

-Ko-chan's real name is Kouichi.

-Finally, I realized that Minko is cutest.

-Ohana is loud to die in this episode.

-Tohru respects Ren even if he knows Ren's weakness. This is real love in a sense.

-Possibly, Minko doesn't lose this race yet.

-I'm glad Ko-chan has a girl who suits him, at last. Ohana is heroine but she's not good so much as you think.

Last edited by revive4563; 2011-05-31 at 11:36. Reason: It's Kouichi not Koutarou
Old 2011-05-31, 08:50   Link #76
Qikz

My eyes went all watery at the ending of this episode.

I'm such a dude, getting all teary eyed at anime. <3
Old 2011-05-31, 09:16   Link #77
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I was also speaking partly from personal experience. I've been put in the friendzone for the nth time in my life once again last March so I can fully relate to him. Being friendzoned sucks donkey balls, and getting it out of it is so much more difficult than most people think. I think the problem becomes that his approach becomes diluted and Ohana will end up thinking that he's trying to be a bro than a boyfriend.

I'm not of course suggesting that he's screwed and stuck in the zone forever. The poor bastard's now in a situation where he's probably going to have to work twice as hard than before. Not only because Ohana's too undecided to make sense of it all much less understand his intentions, but Mr. Good Boy (in Enzo's words) is going up against what people would see as Mr. Cool. He's got a war to fight like David and Goliath in some extent, and I'm not saying that solely in the light of fandom shipping. He's the underdog here, and he has big fight ahead of him. Sulking all depressed in that stock room at the end certainly doesn't help.
Old 2011-05-31, 10:01   Link #78
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As far as I'm concerned....

1) Breakdown of communication (as in absolute ZERO) after Ko's confession
2) After a few episodes, Ko sent a message to Ohana
3) Then after a few more episodes, Ohana finally sends her reply
4) Now they're actually talking over the phone!

Yeah, progress! It might be slow, but the series IS 24 episodes long. And as far as I'm concerned, Ohana has Ko in the forefront of her mind. I mean, he is the boy named when she denies she doesn't have a boyfriend a few episodes beforehand, or that when thinking of boy's smell she thinks of Ko and not Tooru even when its Tooru's helmet in this episode. And when they show Ohana how much she relies on Ko? That was just "d'awww" worthy XD

And now, it seems that everything is setup up like an obstacle to that pairing, from Ohana having to move into her grandma's place, to Tooru seeming to start liking Ohana, to Grandma's illness indirectly making him go back because he'd be a nuisance rather than a help in the inn, even to the new pretty girl revealed at the end of the episode. I dunno, but it looks very suspicious when they keep on stacking hurdle after hurdle for KoXOhana, don't you think?

In any case, whether or not Ko will end up with Ohana, it's pretty darn obvious we will not get the answer till the end of the series. Pretty sure Okada is going to string this out till the very end, and I would have it no other way... because Ko will need as much time as possible to come out ahead.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-05-31, 10:41   Link #79
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Only in anime, not in real life.
Old 2011-05-31, 10:58   Link #80
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I thought this episode was really well done ... excellent execution. But poor Ko! Ohana! You are dense, dense, dense, dense, dense!