AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-09-27, 17:14   Link #1101
The Green One

Nevermind the fact that Puerto Rico is a US territory. So these are Americans in danger....you know, the ones as President that you serve? Ring a bell Trump? No? Well alright then. I guess 3 million starving Americans can wait while you tweet about how awful NFL players are when they kneel during the national anthem. Yep, that's our President's priorities there.
Old 2017-09-27, 17:59   Link #1102
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I know it's easier to argue if you don't actually do any research, but, in fact, US voting turnout in 2016 was down slightly from 2012 when measured as a percentage of the eligible population. Turnout fell dramatically among African-Americans, falling from 62 percent in 2012 to 56 percent in 2016. Not having Obama atop the ticket certainly was the major reason for this decline, but I blame the Clinton campaign for not doing more to mobilize black voters.
I know it's easier to be snarky than assume the person put in effor-...never-mind, it's not.

I did research. It was hard to get a real consensus besides the fact that there was more voters in 2016 than there was in 2012. However, despite some sources claiming that 2016 had a smaller VAP/VEP turnout compared to 2012, they seemed largely influenced by preliminary results and a different means of quantifying the exact number of eligible voters. In the end, I went with the best source I could find:

VEP(turnout): 58.6% / VAP(turnout): 53.6%
http://www.electproject.org/2012g

VEP: 60.2% / VAP: 54.7%
http://www.electproject.org/2016g

And an extra explaining why this estimate differs from the one posted on census.gov and why it's likely to be more accurate.
http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/faq/cps

Last edited by Demi.; 2017-09-27 at 20:06.
Old 2017-09-27, 18:00   Link #1103
Valky
Radioactive

Yeah .. it's not like the congress been treating Puerto Rico nicely from the past either, but it's kind of a d*ck to kick people in a disaster. Then again, it's Trump, the usual thing.
Old 2017-09-28, 10:31   Link #1104
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
And an extra explaining why this estimate differs from the one posted on census.gov and why it's likely to be more accurate.
http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/faq/cps
I'm a fan of Michael McDonald's work, too. I can understand his arguments about why his results are preferable to the CPS, but I'm not entirely convinced that the survey is as inferior as he suggests. The Census Bureau has conducted the Current Population Survey for decades and is, I'm sure, quite aware of the sources of error in survey research.

The differential treatment of the institutionalized population is an interesting point. Except for states like Florida, where even ex-felons who have served their sentences cannot vote, I didn't see much difference the last time I looked at McDonald's data according to whether the institutionalized population is included or not.

And, sorry for being snarky. Earlier in the day I had spent some time arguing with people in the New York Times and Washington Post comments areas who never present any evidence in favor of their claims. I'm sorry that my anger seeped over to here.
Old 2017-09-29, 15:25   Link #1105
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-twi...-donald-trump/

Literally about Trump Tweets.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2017-09-30, 04:59   Link #1106
The Green One

Wow, something else that Trump is above consequences on. Must be nice to never be held accountable for your actions.
Old 2017-09-30, 05:10   Link #1107
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Wow, something else that Trump is above consequences on. Must be nice to never be held accountable for your actions.
It isn't really a news than a corporation choose when to apply it's own rules. Heck, even when it's simply the Law of the land, if they are big (or connected) enough, they can do pretty much anything with little or no effective consequences.
Old 2017-09-30, 10:35   Link #1108
Applehell

Trumps newest tweet on Puerto Rico makes me impressed on how much I can hate a person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
It isn't really a news than a corporation choose when to apply it's own rules. Heck, even when it's simply the Law of the land, if they are big (or connected) enough, they can do pretty much anything with little or no effective consequences.
The only that barring Trump from any consequences is the GOP and they don't even like him. This party gave up any and all moral compass decades ago.
Old 2017-09-30, 11:24   Link #1109
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The GOP doesn't even stand for conservative values. I doubt most of them could site the difference between American and European libertarianism, name the precise cost of government inaction on healthcare vs government action on healthcare, or bothered to look at the evidence of single payer effectiveness without misconstruing the facts about Charley Garde. Not to mention (though the Democrats are guilty of this too) the giant welfare checks they give corporations while virtue signalling about people who need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Noam Chomsky said it best when he commented that people like John McCain and Newt Gingrich are statists more than conservative. I'd also like to know how TRAP laws are small government. The average voter who believes they're right leaning is not at fault, but the more educated conservatives who would support the GOP is where I question whether they understand what conservatism actually is
GANBARIMASU
Old 2017-09-30, 12:03   Link #1110
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Poor leadership?? Pfff, then how about you, old-man?
Old 2017-09-30, 16:51   Link #1111
Blueknight78

one more victim of trump "reality show" "whitehouse" is "fired
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/29/u...s.html?mcubz=0

trump all talking about "cut costs" and having his secretary of health going "around" with a private air plane at the cost of the govern, well played trump, how many more peoples from your "honest team will vanish or are left??
Old 2017-09-30, 19:34   Link #1112
Key Board
Carbon

Puerto Rico has no influence on Federal elections

and they'll never get one either, because Puerto Rico probably means more blue electoral votes
Old 2017-09-30, 19:48   Link #1113
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I would rather they become a state, and could almost see their debt used to nearly force them into the union to pay for it.

But if trends continue, their independence movement may win out next time it comes to a vote.
Old 2017-09-30, 21:33   Link #1114
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Donald says:
Very important that NFL players STAND tomorrow, and always, for the playing of our National Anthem. Respect our Flag and our Country!
Make sure all of you stand tomorrow for our anthem. No kneeling.
Old 2017-09-30, 21:39   Link #1115
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Donald says:
Very important that NFL players STAND tomorrow, and always, for the playing of our National Anthem. Respect our Flag and our Country!
Make sure all of you stand tomorrow for our anthem. No kneeling.
His priorities are just completely wrong...
Old 2017-09-30, 21:42   Link #1116
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Somebody told Trump that Colin changed his protest from sitting to a knee because a veteran told him that's actually a respectful way to protest right
GANBARIMASU
Old 2017-09-30, 22:11   Link #1117
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
Somebody told Trump that Colin changed his protest from sitting to a knee because a veteran told him that's actually a respectful way to protest right
That makes what he said even worse. Like usual. Sometimes I wonder if Persona 5 coming out when it did was some sort of divine providence or something.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
Old 2017-09-30, 22:32   Link #1118
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kim Kardashian West Just Took Down Donald Trump on Twitter

I think this comment tells this story the best.

"A Kardashian has more political engagement, empathy and logical thinking skills than our current president. That’s where we are at right now."
Old 2017-10-01, 00:30   Link #1119
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Kim Kardashian West Just Took Down Donald Trump on Twitter

I think this comment tells this story the best.

"A Kardashian has more political engagement, empathy and logical thinking skills than our current president. That’s where we are at right now."

honestly at this point "anyone" has more political engagement than trump, his currently president job is play golf, watch cable tv, troll on twitter and whining over the "bad republicans and democrats" which don't let he do anything and keep find a way to erase obama presence from white house, i can foreshadow one day "obama pitcture" misterious disapperaing from the section of WH presidents pictures.

trump literally create a "new way to be a a USA president, it will be a "trend" in th future!!!.
Old 2017-10-01, 00:36   Link #1120
The Green One

Quick, someone set parental controls on Trump's computer and block Twitter!