AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-08, 07:01   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Character Discussion - Hanekawa Tsubasa

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Hanekawa Tsubasa related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Bakemonogatari fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 08:18   Link #2
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Well, she has the similar condition of our beloved tsundere~chan.

A broken family.
Her father is not her biological father. Her mother is not her biological mother.
And yes, being posessed by an oddities.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:12   Link #3
JokerD

Add a lv 2 oddity attraction to her skills, a bakeneko and if I'm not wrong
Spoiler:

What can I say, a pretty standard megane character, bookworm and knowledge source, but this is just to run away from her family problems though.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:28   Link #4
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Add a lv 2 oddity attraction to her skills, a bakeneko and if I'm not wrong
Spoiler:
Damn, I should have never clicked that spoiler tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
What can I say, a pretty standard megane character, bookworm and knowledge source, but this is just to run away from her family problems though.
Standard meganekko? Don't think so, what I appreciate a lot in her character is that she is very conscious of the interpersonal relationships and altruistic in her advice. Also a feature when she reflects upon her own life. And if you take her possession allegorically, it is an emotional escape from her rational and calculating nature.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:36   Link #5
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Damn, I should have never clicked that spoiler tag

Standard meganekko? Don't think so, what I appreciate a lot in her character is that she is very conscious of the interpersonal relationships and altruistic in her advice. Also a feature when she reflects upon her own life. And if you take her possession allegorically, it is an emotional escape from her rational and calculating nature.
I think Hanekawa would rather not be rational and calculating.

She only does it to
  1. Play good girl so that her parents dont beat her.
  2. Play good girl so that her neighbours and peers don't pry into her already messed up family situation
  3. As a means of escape, she reads and reads and reads and so the knowledge accumulates
  4. She doesn't want to go to college. That is perfectly inline with her character and the sadness of her family life.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:43   Link #6
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I think Hanekawa would rather not be rational and calculating.

She only does it to
  1. Play good girl so that her parents dont beat her.
  2. Play good girl so that her neighbours and peers don't pry into her already messed up family situation
  3. As a means of escape, she reads and reads and reads and so the knowledge accumulates
  4. She doesn't want to go to college. That is perfectly inline with her character and the sadness of her family life.
Yes, but she made all these decisions rationally, that was my point. Classical meganekko aren't bookworms because of family issues or to avoid their personal problems (at least in anime and manga).
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 09:44   Link #7
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Hanekawa thread... yay!

What can I say, she truly is my favorite character in the show, even if she is not the most original one out there; Execution is as important as originality in my book, and on the whole, I feel that everything about her character comes out really well.

She being a cutie helps too!

I also approached this show with no knowledge whatsoever about their characters, wich made learning things about her all the more interesting. She was probably the only girl who somehow broke away from the formula in the show, whereas her problem was slightly hinted at first, instead of it being trow at us like the rest of the oddities.

She is, IMHO, a secondary character that could have easily become the main one in another show.
Old 2009-10-08, 10:29   Link #8
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Shes a main character that couldve been. Though I personally like the cat version of her more as I am not into the whole megane moe concept very much.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 10:58   Link #9
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Shes a main character that couldve been. Though I personally like the cat version of her more as I am not into the whole megane moe concept very much.
In a way, I actually want her oddity to remain around somehow.
Old 2009-10-08, 11:12   Link #10
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
Her oddity is probably the best so far. Yay for cat girl fan service
Old 2009-10-08, 12:15   Link #11
Reekon

I'm just pissed that her "parents" are @$$h0l3$.

I mean come on, even if the girl isn't your offspring, if she's that kind, that smart, that loving, and that pretty to boot, what's not to like?

I actually couldn't understand how that could be possible.

....Until I was reminded of how some foster parents can be...

In real-life, it does happen that simply because a child isn't yours, or she's the child of your ex, one starts to project all the hate towards the offspring. It doesn't matter if the kid is perfect.

Conversely, when the kid starts to be so smart, so kind, and so popular, the angry "parent" starts thinking "my, my, how arrogant and boastful you are, all the more I should hate you".

So on the one hand, I'm pissed, and I don't understand how these things can happen... but on the other, I acknowledge that Hanekawa's background is feasible even realistic in some cases.

Bleh! Hanekawa should just come to me instead. I'll take good care of her.
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 06:07   Link #12
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
Senjougahara is a rose. Beautiful and full of thorns.

Hanekawa is a star. Shinning brightly far off in the distance.

Senjougahara's beauty is obtainable, while Hanekawa's is unreachable... no matter how far you stretch out your hand into the sky, you will never reach that star.
ac195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 11:11   Link #13
Reekon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Senjougahara's beauty is obtainable, while Hanekawa's is unreachable... no matter how far you stretch out your hand into the sky, you will never reach that star.
But wouldn't Senjougahara be more intimidating and hard to approach, especially before she was cured? And even after she was cured, with her abusive tongue and violent attacks...

(And no, I think Araragi is more the exception, the only one who can capture the toughest character.)

Whereas Hanekawa's more approachable and kind. Yes, she's so smart and so perfect that she becomes intimidating. But then, at least you can approach her... and that can be a start.
Reekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 12:53   Link #14
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac195 View Post
Senjougahara is a rose. Beautiful and full of thorns.

Hanekawa is a star. Shinning brightly far off in the distance.

Hoooy, that sounds pretty cool!

And speaking of how reachable the girls are....

Sure wish there were the occasional background characters in the show, if only to see how the girls interact with others instead of always seeing them with Koyomi or Meme to a lesser degree.

Regardless of her many problems, Hanekawa still strikes me as the kind of girl that could make friends easily.
Old 2009-10-11, 22:53   Link #15
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
And she befriends someone who wasn't good at making friends.
Old 2009-10-19, 04:42   Link #16
Kunagisa

A complete off tangent wondering

Spoiler for Nisemonogatari:
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 05:50   Link #17
zato_1one

I think that Senjougahara is the hardest to reach regarding her behavior. Just like Araragi said that he is in 1% who can get attached to her. Hanekawa is hard to reach because she is too perfect. But if you can suppress the feeling of inferior to her then it's not that hard to start the relationship with her. IMO
Old 2009-10-19, 13:52   Link #18
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
I think that Senjougahara is the hardest to reach regarding her behavior. Just like Araragi said that he is in 1% who can get attached to her. Hanekawa is hard to reach because she is too perfect. But if you can suppress the feeling of inferior to her then it's not that hard to start the relationship with her. IMO
Hanekawa has a bad habit of laughing at Koyomi's puns only after dissecting them.

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 02:09   Link #19
HitagiIsHot
Ushio... omochikaeri!!!

My take on Hanekawa

Hanekawa is the class president type, a very smart but also very kind girl who is friendly to everyone. Although she is more intelligent than the other characters, she is also very humble (as shown from her responses after every time Araragi mentioned how smart she was). This makes her easier to get along with than Senjougahara. However Senjougahara definitely has her finer points (save her verbal abuse) over Hanekawa. But that analysis is for the Hitagi thread. I'm looking forward for the Cat arc to continue, it's gonna be good!

Last edited by HitagiIsHot; 2009-10-21 at 02:27.
HitagiIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 06:04   Link #20
Forever
Revealing the truth

Yup I agree that she should have been main character if it wasnt for hitagi. If only she didnt take her time to go after koyomi, hitagi will never stood a chance. That is based on koyomi's loyalty of course.

Tags
characters