AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-28, 04:28   Link #521
~BC~

Quote:
I kinda missed selfish Saki from time to time. It was one of the traits I wad hoping she would keep.
I missed that Saki so much. I understand they wanted to develop her beyond that but they could've kept some element of it. But it may have only worked in a setting where she was dealing with familiar people hence why I miss her pilot interactions.
Old 2013-12-28, 04:34   Link #522
Key Board
Carbon

I was happy when it seems she would interact with Akira more

but that was very short lived. And she didn't have any real proper interaction with A-Drei either.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-12-28, 06:54   Link #523
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
I missed that Saki so much. I understand they wanted to develop her beyond that but they could've kept some element of it. But it may have only worked in a setting where she was dealing with familiar people hence why I miss her pilot interactions.
I see it as more of a waste considering what her ultimate role in all this turned out to be:

Suffer and hopelessly pine for Haruto's affection. She did help clear up things between A-Drei and L-Elf, but like you said in another post the interaction was primarily there for exposition and they had to have A-Drei find out what was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

but that was very short lived. And she didn't have any real proper interaction with A-Drei either.

//
That's something I wanted more of in general: The pilots interacting with one another and their bonds with one another becoming deeper as a result.

In terms of character interaction, something just felt off to me this season.
Old 2013-12-28, 07:02   Link #524
Key Board
Carbon

They didn't have enough time so they focused predominantly on L-Elf and Haruto

I understand why they had to do it that way but, well.. wasted potential. IMO
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-12-28, 07:06   Link #525
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
They didn't have enough time so they focused predominantly on L-Elf and Haruto

I understand why they had to do it that way but, well.. wasted potential. IMO
Gotta agree with you. I will say Haruto and L-Elf's interactions on Earth kinda dragged on to me.

And in terms of wasted potential, don't even get me started on Lise.
Old 2013-12-28, 08:34   Link #526
Golos

Quote:

//
That was disappointing, but at least the Valvrave mangas make up for it with additional/expanded scenes.
Old 2013-12-29, 20:38   Link #527
LightDragonman

Yeah, I found Saki to be far more interesting than Shouko to be quite honest. Why couldn't she be the main heroine instead?

Also, can someone please explain to me why people like to pair her with A-Drei? I mean, he's the one who got her captured and subsequently impaled and humiliated for crying out loud! He never even said "I'm sorry", even after letting her go.

Seriously, what do people see in him being a good match for her, aside from him being voiced by Jun Fukuyama?
Old 2013-12-29, 21:53   Link #528
Key Board
Carbon

they.. look good together?
they're arguably the prettiest boy and girl in the show

and I think one the magazine blurbs said A-Drei prefers a woman of action like Saki
there are a lot of hurdles as you said, though

A-Drei is kinda responsible for Aina's death among other things
But I think people just want her to be happy after all that crap she went thru
carrying a torch of Haruto for 200 years seems more like punishment than devotion
and she's the last character you want to punish even more
Old 2013-12-30, 05:03   Link #529
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Why would you want to pair Saki and A-Drei, that's like pairing up Zessica and Kagura...oh, wait.

No, what Keyboard said, basically. They are visually pleasing, people are sick of all the Saki-suffering and A-Drei is a pretty good guy.
Old 2013-12-30, 06:55   Link #530
Meltyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Why would you want to pair Saki and A-Drei, that's like pairing up Zessica and Kagura...oh, wait.

No, what Keyboard said, basically. They are visually pleasing, people are sick of all the Saki-suffering and A-Drei is a pretty good guy.
Seems more like Kallen and Suzaku.
But then A-Drei got voice of.. ZERO.
So yeah.
Old 2013-12-30, 07:51   Link #531
Nitestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
Seems more like Kallen and Suzaku.
But then A-Drei got voice of.. ZERO.
So yeah.
I think Kallen and Gino would be more accurate, if comparing to Code Geass.

In any case, Saki doesn't appear wear any kind of wedding ring during the 200 year flash forwards, so she appears to have never married anyways. Plus there is the whole life span issue to deal with - in general if your life span is going to be for a really long time (and you stay in your 16 to 17 year old body the whole time), your probably better off with someone who shares your condition. Given how few Kamitsuki there are (especially males), she had limited prospects for a relationship (well, at least a long term one) in the first place.

Plus there is the whole issue of A-Drei having a role in Aina's death (and the deaths of a bunch of students in general), as he was an enemy soldier. He's also the reason she was captured in the first place - I doubt she has any sort of particular fondness towards him. On the same note, A-Drei hasn't shown any romantic interest in Saki either.

Saki seems pretty content in the future anyways, so its not like she got a terrible ending either. At least she had a pleasant last moment/memory with Haruto, unlike Shoko.

Last edited by Nitestorm; 2013-12-30 at 07:52. Reason: Spelling
Old 2013-12-30, 14:49   Link #532
Golos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
I mean, he's the one who got her captured and subsequently impaled and humiliated for crying out loud!
Quote:
A-Drei is kinda responsible for Aina's death among other things
A-Drei is neither responsible for her mistreatment by his superiors nor Q-Vier acting against orders.
Besides, he makes up for failing to stop them.

Quote:
He never even said "I'm sorry", even after letting her go.
Blame the Haruto/L-Elf-centered writing for not caring that much for secondary characters.

Quote:
they.. look good together?
they're arguably the prettiest boy and girl in the show
The artist of the Saki manga agrees and thinks that A-Drei is the best guy.
Old 2013-12-31, 02:05   Link #533
LightDragonman

Still, he was the one who basically allowed for Saki to get tortured like that. If all he wanted to do was ask her a few questions, he didn't need to have her captured and humiliated.

Really, all he has going for him being with her is his looks. Talk about shallow.
Old 2013-12-31, 02:21   Link #534
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Still, he was the one who basically allowed for Saki to get tortured like that. If all he wanted to do was ask her a few questions, he didn't need to have her captured and humiliated.

Really, all he has going for him being with her is his looks. Talk about shallow.
You can't blame him for the torture. He was a soldier and she was his enemy. You expect him to not follow procedures and just let her go when he has no idea what her intent or plans are? Up until this point he had no idea about the magius or all the stuff that was going on behind the scenes. So she was just another enemy that needed to be dealt with. Perhaps we should start blaming every solider everyone for the suffering and pain they inflicted on someone elses family everytime they shot and killed someone. Or the ones who helped plant bombs for all the deaths and disfigurements they caused everytime an opposing soldier stepped on one. This is war, and people die and get hurt. (People die when they get killed!...ugh Shirou get out of my head.) This is the risk you take the moment you enlist and Saki did just that the moment she hit "Yes".

And just so you know Saki is my favorite character so I didn't like watching all her suffering anymore then anyone else, but that's not on A-drei, especially considering he wasn't even the one doing the torturing.
Old 2013-12-31, 05:09   Link #535
LightDragonman

Good point.

Still, I don't exactly see how Saki would be drawn to him. I also really wanted to see him release her, and say I'm sorry, rather than have it all be offscreen. Talk about wasted potential.
Old 2013-12-31, 05:33   Link #536
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
And just so you know Saki is my favorite character so I didn't like watching all her suffering anymore then anyone else, but that's not on A-drei, especially considering he wasn't even the one doing the torturing.
Just to point out something, A-drei was the one who let them go (Saki, Aina and Kyuuma) in episode 2 when his friends were about to open fire. I'm not seeing A-drei as a potential lover, but I doubt Saki bears any ill will towards him. He's always been portrayed as noble and Saki understood he's that kind of person. He's kind with children, honor-bound and understanding.

He also indirectly saved her again from Q-vier in the last episode.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2013-12-31, 06:50   Link #537
Key Board
Carbon

and it's her spindle knuckle that made A-Drei kill Q-Vier

So who does the kill credit go to?

Thunder for breaking the barrier hand beforehand?
Saki for knocking away the Waffe shield and forcing a showdown between A-Drei and Q-Vier
or A-Drei for actually being the one that shot him?
Old 2013-12-31, 15:19   Link #538
Thess

Neither Saki or Yamada can take on Q-vier on a real fight (let's be completely honest, none of them stand any chance against L-Elf's team mates after they got an upgrade in their equipment), A-drei has chances. So A-drei.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-01-02, 03:44   Link #539
LightDragonman

Thinking back to Saki in S2, I feel really bad for her. She got abandoned in Dorssian territory, captured, humiliated, and impaled by them, and as a result, probably lost her idol status. Thanks a lot A-Drei. Not to mention that she didn't even get her love reciprocated by Haruto. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone she knew didn't give two rips about her before her execution.

Poor girl really needs a hug. From someone who isn't A-Drei. XD
Old 2014-01-02, 04:10   Link #540
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

Quote:
Thinking back to Saki in S2, I feel really bad for her. She got abandoned in Dorssian territory, captured, humiliated, and impaled by them, and as a result, probably lost her idol status. Thanks a lot A-Drei. Not to mention that she didn't even get her love reciprocated by Haruto. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone she knew didn't give two rips about her before her execution.

Poor girl really needs a hug. From someone who isn't A-Drei. XD
When there a Saki Daki available, she definitely getting big one from me XD.
Sigh... Thinking back on Saki's treatment in S2 completely destoryed my appetite for anime. It will probably last a long time on me. With everything this poor girl went through, can Okouchi just give her a reward she deserved?

Tags
characters