AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-02, 17:06   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Save me or Spite me~~Suggestion to ward off ending my anime addiction...

Damn I’m at a crossroads, I’m trying to figure out if now is the logical time to stop watching anime religiously…I’ve been on this site since ’03-04 and have been pretty much maxing out on anime to keep up with the discussions and overall culture here that I have loved over the years, but I’m gonna no longer be in my 20’s next month^^, and it’s like should I just give this all a break finally? I recently just finished Casshern, Mitchiko E Hatchin, Gundam 00, Eyesheild21, Xam’d, Index, and a bunch more I can’t remember at the present second…This weekend I’ll finish Soul Eater, Juushin Enbu is nearly done, and all I’ll have is the weekly never ending shonen-jolt of Bleach and Naruto which seriously I become more embarrassed everyday that I watch these shows every week for god knows how many years now (Less embarrassed I watch One Piece, but equally annoyed at the never-endingness of it)…

I need some suggestions on some current shows or recently finished shows that will force me not to give up on religious anime watching…I don’t even know what I want, anything but gore, or horror really…Could be realistic, could be soopa shoneny, could be sports related or psychologically challenging…It needs to have a decent amount of action, not a retarded amount but if there’s something with a retarded amount please suggest it…When I say action it can be martial arts craziness, mecha craziness, human power-up craziness, or more artful stuff (Like the action you’ll find in a show like zoku sayonara sensei or Welcome to the NHK)

Currently testing out Kuroshitsuji, but I looks like that’s a huge man-boy trap-anime , and Regios which is just OK I guess, but I need the anime-equivalent of smelling-salt, to wake my a$$ up and give me hope that it’s not quite time to just hang it up…While I’d like stuff within the past couple of years, you can try suggesting older stuff but anything action-packed or uber popular I’ve probably seen it, but if you don’t think I have please suggest it because I’m still on a personal quest to finish every awesome anime from the 90’s back when animation was actually animation…Anyways, save me or spite me, the decision is yours…

P.S. if there are any shows where there is a “touché” factor between the main rivals in the show I’d like that aswell…I’m speaking of shows where the rivals respect one another and try to 1up each either even when it means death is on the line…Respect between opponents is something I’m looking for here….
Old 2009-04-02, 17:38   Link #2
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

This season is actually looking great, it had a great start. Plus it has all the insane shounen coming up.

Sengoku Basara had explosive action, definitely watch that.
Tomorrow there will be Shin Mazinger Z, you can miss that if you're a mecha fan.
Then Dragonball is coming as well.

If you aren't following One Piece, you should do it, its the best shounen ever and having around 400 episodes now should keep you entertained really good.

I'm quite sure you've seen lots of mecha, so I'm not sure what else to recommend you.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-04-02, 18:24   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I think you confused me, I said that One Piece is the only point of the weekly Bleach-Naruto-OP triangle that I'm not embarrassed to say I watch religiously each week...I've seen every episode of One Piece, but it just never ends...

Please tell me Sengoku Basara is finished already...

Edit: Damn not even 1 ep subbed yet, ugh...Anything that's finished already? Also you can suggest mecha, I'm a HUGE Gundam fan as you well know, but I haven't watched an alternate mecha since 00 began airing in 07'..Call me crazy but I can't watch another mecha while Gundam is current^^...
Old 2009-04-02, 18:28   Link #4
holyalexander
holy alexander

i think that's how popular anime works... its just the season ends but not the story.. more people want it so i guess they need to make more...
Old 2009-04-02, 19:36   Link #5
Rayneing
Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Also you can suggest mecha, I'm a HUGE Gundam fan as you well know, but I haven't watched an alternate mecha since 00 began airing in 07'..Call me crazy but I can't watch another mecha while Gundam is current^^...
I'm actually fairly certain he meant to say you CAN'T miss Shin Mazinger if you're a mecha fan. Which makes sense, since it is a re-adaptation of the original piloted giant robot, Mazinger Z. If Gundam is more your style, you might not enjoy it so much. I still say you should at least give it a look, since it is the original classic brought back in all its glory. First episode airs tomorrow.

I myself am not really interested in much other than Shin Mazinger and Higurashi Rei at the moment. I'd only watch Rei if you've already seen the original Higurashi and Kai though, which I'm not sure if you have.
Old 2009-04-02, 21:11   Link #6
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I've always thought you've already seen alot of mecha and not just Gundam, so I have no idea what to recommend you lol

I'll just list down all the best mecha:

Nadesico (26 episodes of great entertainment)
Nadesico: Prince of Darkness (movie)
Top wo Nerae! (classic 6 episodes with animation beautiful even of today's standards)
Top wo Nerae!2 (6 episodes from 2003 - 2006, each episode took at least 6 months to make, the most visually stunning mecha ever)
Yuusha Oh Gaogaigar (50 episodes of courage and hotbloodedness)
Gaogaigar FINAL (8 episodes OVA, is the best mecha ever)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (27 episodes, best mecha yet of the 21st century)
Eureka 7 (50 episodes masterpiece)
GunXSword (26 episodes of awesome)

I'll suggest watching Top wo Nerae! 1 and 2 before watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Also Daikumaryu Gaiking, because the main character is Luffy in a mecha.

And for a currently airing anime, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, my favourite mecha anime now, if you've seen Gundam, Geass and other Sunrise mecha, you'll love this.

Old 2009-04-02, 21:17   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

C.A. I've seen a $hitload of mecha (mechafanboy= me), just none recently beyond Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier...I've seen everything you've suggested except Top wo Nerae! and Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo...So I'm gonna do a search, thnx...

edit: Ooops, didn't know that meant Gunbuster, seent it!
Old 2009-04-02, 21:18   Link #8
Eric10301

If you want something truly unique and that has the power to remind people how awesome anime can be you should watch Welcome to the NHK.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4121
Old 2009-04-02, 21:29   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
C.A. I've seen a $hitload of mecha (mechafanboy= me), just none recently beyond Gundam 00 and Macross Frontier...I've seen everything you've suggested except Top wo Nerae! and Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo...So I'm gonna do a search, thnx...

edit: Ooops, didn't know that meant Gunbuster, seent it!
Yea that's what I mean I have no idea what to recommend you lol

Do you play SRW?

Another list to just throw at you:

Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars
Overman King Gainer
Gravion/Gravion Zwei
Aquarion
Betterman
Detonator Orgun
Tekkaman Blade
Tekkaman Blade II

Actually I can't imagine anything I've seen that you've not seen. I think I can list my whole mecha anime list and you've already seen all lol

Old 2009-04-02, 21:55   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Yea that's what I mean I have no idea what to recommend you lol

Do you play SRW?

Another list to just throw at you:

Super Robot Wars: Divine Wars
Overman King Gainer
Gravion/Gravion Zwei
Aquarion
Betterman
Detonator Orgun
Tekkaman Blade
Tekkaman Blade II

Actually I can't imagine anything I've seen that you've not seen. I think I can list my whole mecha anime list and you've already seen all lol
Well I was morso looking for NEW and COMPLETE mecha from the last couple years that maybe snuck under my radar...Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo looks awesome visually, but I'm getting some VANGUARD vibes from it...I want gritty with my pretty^^...

Detonator Orgun

Aquarion

Haven't seen these 2, I'll do a search...

Quote:
If you want something truly unique and that has the power to remind people how awesome anime can be you should watch Welcome to the NHK.
Seent it!! Loved it!! Nothing else like it! (Trust me I've looked far and wide)...
Old 2009-04-02, 22:20   Link #11
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Heh, Sora Kakeru Shoujo is actually NHK in mecha genre, had the protagonists and antagonists arranged like Gaogaigar, Gundam was the story background, Lulu reincarnated, King Gainer's OVERFREEZE threatens the world, Mai Otome and Nanoha cross, erm what else, there's too much to remember for now. In other words, Sorakake is mega win, I look forward to you posting in the Sorakake threads.

And seems like I may be able to introduce you some more mecha lol, new and complete mecha:

Koutetsu Shin Jeeg
Dancougar Nova
Zegapain
Kurogane no Linebarrel
Demonbane
Gear Fighter Dendoh
Idolmaster Xenoglossia

Old 2009-04-02, 22:54   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Heh, Sora Kakeru Shoujo is actually NHK in mecha genre,
Soooooooooooooooooooooold...

Idolmaster Xenoglossia (Forgot about this, I wanted to watch this after I got thru with gundam..Looks alittle moe-crazy, but the animation looked awesome...)

Any "touche" factor in these suggestions? Zegapain is the only one I've seen some eps of (The mecha was just to clunky and horrible for me to keep watching, but everything else looked amazing)...

I'll do a search on the rest...Damn you've given me some hope...
Old 2009-04-03, 00:26   Link #13
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You'd have to watch until the main villian appears before you can see the NHK aspect, and how hikkikomoris come into the picture lol

But I assure you, the main villian is NHK itself.

I'm not sure what you mean by touche. IM@S mecha aren't really cool and for the earlier part, most of the time they're smashing space rocks and yea its a moe anime, since its IM@S lol. And for some reason the ending deeply affected 'jafri', yea him.

Jeeg is old school styled, was pretty cool to old schoolers, but doesn't seem like everyone liked it.

Dancougar Nova, is pretty average for new mecha fans, but if you've watched the old Dancougar, you'll get awesome homages.

Linebarrels I haven't watched that, but is on my watch list.

Demonbane works on cheesiness and has lots of awesome VAs.

Dendoh is mostly targeted at kids, but you do get some awesome.

Old 2009-04-03, 00:57   Link #14
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Uhm C.A. you haven't mentioned Shin Getter Robot - the last day? It is an OAV series that i really enjoyed and has all the elements that make mechafans overjoice. You just need to get past some inconsistencies, but that's quite common in the genre.

Then on the great classic side: "Daitarn 3" is an awesome show that any real mechafan must see.

Old 2009-04-03, 03:05   Link #15
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm only mentioning those I think he hasn't watch lol, he has a huge list so I think the famous ones he should have them.

If I mention Shin Getter Robo, I'll also need to mention Mazinkaiser as well.

On classics, everyone should watch Raijin-Oh lol

Closed Thread