AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-29, 23:41   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Can we alphabetize usernames in "Who Posted?" function?

Sometimes you wanna see old posts you wrote a while ago or maybe even read an older post from someone you know (I like to read old "Final episode Impressions threads" to remind me what I enjoyed about a show I might wanna suggest or get reacquainted with, but the thread is old as hell and you have no clue what page your post was on 2, 3, 4, 5 years ago...Then there's like 30, 40, 50, 100 posters in the thread and when you click on the post count function to see who posted you just can't find what you want quickly enuff, so why can't it be re-done to where the names appear in alphabetical order, so you can easily find (or not find) where you're old post is at, or who the poster you wanted to read their old post is at...

Good? no?
Old 2011-12-30, 00:46   Link #2
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
OR you can just use the Search Thread feature and write the username where applicable and leave other fields blank.
Old 2011-12-30, 01:08   Link #3
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^But what of the spontaneity that's involved with just seeing the list of names? I'm going to have to first look at the "Who Posted?" then see a name that I'm reminded of, then goto the search, then sift through that content...Then what if I want to see another name I would not have thought of? (That whole process over again) Wouldn't it be streamlined much better if the names were in A-Z order (bing-bang-boom), OR if seeing who had the most posts is still more important, maybe there could be a "sort by name" option within the pop-up box...
Old 2011-12-30, 02:40   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I would recommend using your browser's find feature to search for a name within the window. In most major browsers, you can use Ctrl+F to pull up an in-page search box and start typing to locate the name/word you're looking for. That's even faster than an alphabetical sort since you don't even have to scroll down the list.
Old 2011-12-30, 10:45   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The purpose of the "Who posted" feature is to show who posted, not act a search feature. It would make no sense to do it in alphabetical order and potentially hide the current functionality which shows who posted too much
Old 2011-12-30, 12:27   Link #6
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The purpose of the "Who posted" feature is to show who posted, not act a search feature. It would make no sense to do it in alphabetical order and potentially hide the current functionality which shows who posted too much
A table with two sortable columns (user name and number of posts) is a sensible way to show who posted.
Old 2011-12-30, 15:04   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ Right on monster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The function says, "Who Posted?" not "Who Posted the Most?" so that rationale is walking the plank...I never asked for it to be a search feature, just be a feature that simplifies a spontaneous search of a name within a quick function...It's super simple really, and I think it makes sense...I would like to see it changed...
Old 2011-12-30, 15:45   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
It's super simple really, and I think it makes sense...I would like to see it changed...
But it's a feature that's built-in to vBulletin, and it doesn't make any sense for us to modify the source code (or implement a plug-in) to change it at this time. So I'm afraid that, for now, the Ctrl+F method will have to do. This serves the purpose of being a "spontaneous search of a name within a quick function" even better than an alphabetical sort anyway, I think.
Old 2011-12-31, 03:15   Link #9
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
But it's a feature that's built-in to vBulletin, and it doesn't make any sense for us to modify the source code (or implement a plug-in) to change it at this time.
Well that is what it is...Just seems like such a doable option that I knew i'd always want to use if i could..The simplicity of just seeing the names in order, then clicking on that name, then leaving that name for another name....When the names are in order, you can cut the fat on everything else...

Ctrl-F is great when I know exactly what person I wanted to search for from the start, but when moving from thread to thread in a stream having to do that each time is a stretch vs. just navigating names in order (as opposed to 100 names in random order)...Guess I'll fall on my sword since VBulletin is a Nazi on this, but I do fail to see how practically this isn't a great idea...
Old 2011-12-31, 10:10   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Guess I'll fall on my sword since VBulletin is a Nazi on this, but I do fail to see how practically this isn't a great idea...
Well, for whatever it's worth, I don't think that was ever what the function was designed to do. You've come up with a rather unique alternative use for it, and one that could be enhanced by an alteration to the code, but I don't see many people flocking to use that option even if it's there. Perhaps they would use it if the functionality were altered, but I think it mostly depends on people having your unique use case in mind.

So anyway, will lock the thread for now since this isn't a change we can consider at the moment, but maybe it's something that will be considered by vBulletin in the future.