AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: So which one is the best overall?
Family Guy 44 35.77%
South Park 60 48.78%
I'm a snob who looks down on these type of vulgar comedies >_<;;; 19 15.45%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-04-12, 21:49   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

South Park vs. Family Guy

I just watched an hour of South Park where Cartman wants to get Family Guy cancelled...It actually kinda got me thinking (if you can believe that)...Now I've always been somewhat of a fan of South Park and do remember classic eps like "Mr. Hanky-poo"and the very funny episode where the characters were anime characters (Not the Chimpokoman' pokeman' spoof episode which was funny too), but they really crapped on Family Guy...Caught in the humour was the actual expression of truth that the creators of South Park feel Family Guy is a nonsensical cheap cartoon that just uses interchangeble and random jokes with no respect to anytype of coherency or plot focus...The ep was pretty funny I admit...Cartman uses the fact that Family Guy uses jokes insensitive to Muslims as the catalyst for trying to get them cancelled because of his own personal hate for the show...There's even a part where this Osama Bin Laden scene is change to say (About Family Guy): "The jokes never derive from the plot and I find that totally gay..."

Now that's actually kind of true, but dammit I think Family Guy is funnier than South Park on average...and it's ridiculous random comedy is one of the reasons it is so funny, because it goes from one extreme to the next with no regard for established rules that normally take place in situation comedy...Now i go sometimes months without watching episodes of South Park eventhough I like it, but I never miss a new episode of Family Guy....I just find the potential for "BIG laffs" are higher per episode in Family Guy...

South Park has messages hidden into their extreme comedy which i totally respect and I have to admit even this episode has a pretty decent message which they pull off at Family Guy's expense, but some of the episode is just a hysterical attempt at $hiting on FG and I expect Family Guy will at some point comeback making this a cartoon-war of sorts....I love Cartman and can't lie he cracks me up especially with his voice and is the best character by far...The episode when he chopped that kids' parents into ingredients for chili and slurped on his tears as he cried about the loss of his Mom and Dad will never be forgotten xD...In this episode he really hates Family Guy...

The funniest thing of all was that the mystery of this episode is that Family Guy is:
Spoiler for If you haven't seen the episode:

Now despite everything I like Family guy more...My favorite characters are Brian and Stewy (especially when they are together)...One reason i really dig it is because it uses references to old cartoons, Tv shows, and products that I used to watch or really like growing up...For anyone 30 and under family Guy really is a show that brings back all the pop culture of our youth and other than that it's just a really funny-a$$ show IMO...Not to mention it also has episodes that challege politics aswell...I just find the level of laughter in Family guy trumps my overall interest in hidden political messages found in SP...

So I ask you which show do you like more and why? And does a politically conscious, yet crass comedy like South Park automatically trump drop-dead funny bathroom humour and random pop-culture savvy shows like Family Guy?

Could somebody also count how many times I wrote the words "Family Guy"? That would be nice too ...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2006-04-12 at 22:17.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 22:13   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Family Guy sucks. It's just a bunch of random low brow jokes, delivered without any sense of comedic timing. It might be funny if they just learned when to stop with a joke, but they don't. Man fighting with giant chicken for a few seconds, funny. Man fighting with giant chicken for 5 minutes, not so much. I will admit brian and stewie are funny though.

South Park at least tries to be relevent. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it succeeds. When it does manage to succeed, it's a great show.

Also, while I haven't seen part two yet, I saw the first part last week. Though it did mock family guy, I saw it more as a critique of religion being used as an excuse to limit free speech.
Old 2006-04-12, 22:13   Link #3
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Could somebody also count how many times I wrote the words "Family Guy"? That would be nice too ...
20 times.

/edit: add in stuff under spoiler tags.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 22:30   Link #4
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Family Guy sucks. It's just a bunch of random low brow jokes, delivered without any sense of comedic timing. It might be funny if they just learned when to stop with a joke, but they don't. Man fighting with giant chicken for a few seconds, funny. Man fighting with giant chicken for 5 minutes, not so much. I will admit brian and stewie are funny though.

South Park at least tries to be relevent. Sometimes it fails, sometimes it succeeds. When it does manage to succeed, it's a great show.
To say it sucks is a bit harsh...I mean the prupose of any comedic portralye is to make people laff and while you may not agree with it's methods I don't think you can deny that it makes people laff (you notwithstanding )...As for low brow having countless X-mas specials that feature a piece of feces and the daily happenings of his crust-filled family also meets the criteria you are dissing...A towel that does crack and a tag-team of canadian farters also meet this low-brow you speak of...And they are also funny as hell especially "Towel" ... When veiwing Family Guy I'm not watching for plot-relevantcy, I'm too busy laffing...BTW I LMAO for 4 of those 5 minutes of that Chicken fight xD...

Quote:
Also, while I haven't seen part two yet, I saw the first part last week. Though it did mock family guy, I saw it more as a critique of religion being used as an excuse to limit free speech
Well that was one of the hidden messages amoungst others that allude to terrorism and the priorities of our nation found in part 2...Perhaps you didn't click on the spoiler, but if you didn't get the drift that they are callously dissing Family Guy and the writing staff of the show you need to watch part 2 that will air again late tonight on comedy central....After watching that the confusion will be lifted for you...
Old 2006-04-12, 22:46   Link #5
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
To say it sucks is a bit harsh...I mean the prupose of any comedic portralye is to make people laff and while you may not agree with it's methods I don't think you can deny that it makes people laff (you notwithstanding )...As for low brow having countless X-mas specials that feature a piece of feces and the daily happenings of his crust-filled family also meets the criteria you are dissing...A towel that does crack and a tag-team of canadian farters also meet this low-brow you speak of...And they are also funny as hell especially "Towel" ... When veiwing Family Guy I'm not watching for plot-relevantcy, I'm too busy laffing...BTW I LMAO for 4 of those 5 minutes of that Chicken fight xD...
I didnt' say south park wasn't low brow, I just said it tries to be relevent and is great when it succeeds. My point was more south park has underlying elements, while family guy is just low brow humor with little else. I understand family guy is more about the comedy than anything, but in my opinion, it fails at even that. If they could solve that horrible timing problem, my opinon might change though. I do like brian and stewie, but they're not enough to save what is otherwise a horrible show. Perhaps if they had more screen time and peter was killed off...
Old 2006-04-12, 23:45   Link #6
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

I haven't kept up with South Park nearly as much as I used to, but it gets my vote. The first few seasons were great, and it does have some nostalgic value to it. I stumbled upon it when I was 12. I saw "Elephant makes love to a pig" and I had never laughed so hard before. When my mother saw me watching it, the expression on her face was priceless.
Quote:
I love Cartman and can't lie he cracks me up especially with his voice and is the best character by far
I agree, I think his voice is hilarious. South Park wouldn't even be half as funny if they took Cartman out.
Quote:
and the very funny episode where the characters were anime characters
Oh man, I nearly died laughing that episode. Especially during that Japanese song "Protect my balls!"

Although I do like Family Guy as well. I enjoy the pop culture references quite a bit, but occasionally one will go over my head. The random jokes are kind of hit-or-miss for me, but they're certainly the highlight. While some of the randomness I find boring, the potential for getting "BIG laffs" is good (Example- Using Kamui's of "man fighting a giant chicken for 5 minutes" = yawn. However, "And now we return to Two and a Half Men..." = )
Old 2006-04-13, 00:05   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Well, The Family Guy does use interchangeble and random jokes with no respect to anytype of coherency or plot focus. That is pretty much unarguable. By contrast, in South Park all the jokes are focused on a story that attempts to highlight a problem in modern culture, politics or the media.

On the other hand, The Family Guy is funny as heck and makes me laugh more reliably than South Park. Their stupid jokes are just plain funny. Since they are only interesting in creating laughs rather than trying to be some tortured forum of cultural relevancy, they can more reliably be funny.

Obviously, there is only one way that we can settle the issue of South Park vs Family Guy: A Cage Match.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 00:10   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Hmm, In this cage-match...Who would kill Kenny? O_o;;;
Old 2006-04-13, 00:28   Link #9
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
This reminds me of "Celebrity Death match!"
Google it if you wish

There are times where the mood calls for stupid funny, there are times when mood calls for cituational funny.

I love both shows for what they try to do. Didnt family guy rip on South Park once about their cheap animation. (Basicaly Peter was walking around stiffly without animations)
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 06:01   Link #10
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
While I think that Family Guy can be quite funny sometimes, I really do prefer South Park. I just watched these two episodes and they're pretty much spot on with their criticism regarding the incoherence of the jokes, even if the examples themselves are a bit extreme.

I think American Dad is funnier than Family Guy though, but South Park is still at the top for me ^^.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 08:56   Link #11
Rurik
Golden

Well, Wing, I got give it to you, you got my brain cells going haywire… I never really though about who is better than the other, I really like both Shows, I can say that there are some South Park episodes I like better than Family Guy, and Vice versa, I love those random-nothing-to do with the story- Jokes from FG, but south park it always craping on anything that it is politically incorrect..And That’s why I think South Park got the edge. I mean, Like the Sh*** episodes that was really a breakthrough episode, and What About the one with David Blaine? Or the See-people episode? And most of all, the South park Movie, damm I never had such a laugh with anything, well that and Team America.

BTW, I recommend Team America for those Matt/Trey – South Park fans, off all the movies they have made (excepting South Park) this is the best.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 09:43   Link #12
Genpei Sato
The Demon Himself

Send a message via AIM to Genpei Sato
Family guy FTW
Genpei Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 11:23   Link #13
Ichy
It`s a miracle!

Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
I preffer Southpark Family Guy is fun, but South Park is just better. I love every single Episode of this sick stuff I love how the mock on Celebritys like Jenifer Lopez or Paris Hilton Also how many political incorrectness ther is, is genius

Sorry for my bad english XD
Old 2006-04-13, 12:24   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I picked Family Guy, but southpark presents more of a realistic view of the world. Obvioulsy the talking dog isn't real but he's a joke to watch.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 14:49   Link #15
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I like both series, but I'll say this: Family Guy does not rewatch very well. That is why I have never thought of or even considered getting it on DVD. It gets stale after the first or second time. With South Park, the good episodes are good for 3 to 5 watchings. If it came to the rewatchability factor, South Park would with hands down.

Anyway, a quote from one of the creators of South Park:

"When people say to me, 'God, you guys have one of the best shows on television. You and Family Guy.' That fucking hurts so bad"
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 17:38   Link #16
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
family guy
it takes no brain power to watch or enjoy, or even just understand
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 17:39   Link #17
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
family guy
I'm sorry, but could you please explain for the slow of mind (like me) why that would be a good thing?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-04-13, 17:45   Link #18
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
I'm sorry, but could you please explain for the slow of mind (like me) why that would be a good thing?
think=hurt
hurt=bad
family guy= no think
no think=good
or for the illeterate
Family guy=
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 17:59   Link #19
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I suppose the only shocking thing about that reasoning is that you are bragging about it.

Old 2006-04-13, 18:11   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I like both series, but I'll say this: Family Guy does not rewatch very well. That is why I have never thought of or even considered getting it on DVD. It gets stale after the first or second time. With South Park, the good episodes are good for 3 to 5 watchings. If it came to the rewatchability factor, South Park would with hands down.
Well I find both re-runs more than watchable....Although some South Park eps have the "BIG JOKE" at the end of the show and once it's exposed (Like Cartman turning that guys' Parents into chili) it will never be as funny as the first time you saw it...On the other hand Family Guy has so many ridiculously stupid and funny random jokes they work because I often forget about some of them (there's so many)...There are certain eps of Family Guy I can watch over and over and die-laffing each time...It comes on like everyday and if I know it's on I automatically just put it on for the hell of it (Usually on it's adult swim run)...The biggest tell-tale to me is that when I watch South Park I almost always catch it just by chance (When I'm flicking channels), but I never catch Family Guy by chance and I never even watch new episodes when they air...I have to either tape-it or dl it when I watch a new episode because I know more than likely I'll want to rewind scenes because I find most eps that funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtyped
family guy

Do you know how many obscure references to historical effects or literary names family guy drops in some episodes?? I'm smart as hell and there are often some references that even go over my head...That's an irrational claim...I'd bet my life that you haven't gotten every Family Guy joke...