AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-07, 12:08   Link #21
Sides

Come thinking, i never bought movies on vhs anyway. I just use vhs it to tape programs. I hope that they will still produce vhs cassettes, like they do with audio tapes, black-white, 8mm, 16mm and 35mm films, and beta tapes aso.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 16:53   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Come thinking, i never bought movies on vhs anyway. I just use vhs it to tape programs. I hope that they will still produce vhs cassettes, like they do with audio tapes, black-white, 8mm, 16mm and 35mm films, and beta tapes aso.
I mean the odds are you’ll always be able to find it (as with anything outdated, it’ll still be around in some form-whether it be your local store or ebay browsing), but with VCR’s no longer being made and VHS titles virtually extinct now (based on the article), the market for Blank Tapes will probably drop aswell…Again however, I doubt you’ll ever have trouble finding them…What’s interesting though is how the article talks about DVD’s perhaps having only a 5 to 6 year market viability left, and evenmore interesting is the contention that BlueRay Disc are at best a transitional technology with no capability to challenge the VCR-VHS reign (This I indeed believe as most females I watch DVD’s or television with have almost no caring about the incredible step-up in visual quality between DVD and BlueRay or Non HD verses HD television)…So I guess the point of all this is that, while you may make fun of it, they’ll probably never be another application that has the staying power or sheer market dominance that VHS-VCR had…I mean today there are people who watch media strictly from the cpu, if not Zune, Psp generation, if not cellphone, if not DVR technology…During the VCR-VHS reign you didn’t have half the country using Laserdics, I mean it was the apex of your family entertainment center…I suspect everything will veer digital soon and DVD’s will be obsolete far quicker than the plastic tape age, so the fact that something such a fabric of media evolution is officially dead now makes this discussion all the more interesting…I don’t think they’ll ever again be an entertainment item quite like the VCR (VHS combo)…It’s universal dominance suggests that….I don’t think America will ever be as unified behind an entertainment item like this again…
Old 2009-01-07, 22:08   Link #23
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Hmm...can't say I will miss it, it's and old and obsolete technology for me.
This will make some cringe, but last year I threw away 2-3 box full of VHS tapes, and of course, including some anime tapes. I don't enjoy VHS tapes, and wouldn't go back to watch them. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted, but bye bye.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 01:20   Link #24
slaag

It provided me a lot of fun during my childhood days, which makes me reflect on how far technology has come these days. We used to move heaven and earth to watch shows we like, when we can just watch them in youtube or torrents now.
slaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 04:07   Link #25
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well it's more the symbolism of it all...Something all of us mid-20 somethings grew up with and to see it officially put to rest just makes one think about the days when it was the $hit...
Woot! I still have tons of tapes of all the anime I used to record from my local Tv channels during the early 90's. I also have a working VHS player lying around in my room.

Rest in peace VHS!
Old 2009-01-08, 04:40   Link #26
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Back in the VHS days i used to buy empty tapes in bundles to record anime and TV series. Well any fans of VCR must have done the same. Then it became taking so much space, even now I stil have those cardboxes filled with recorded VHS. When the CD and DVD came out, I was really happy because it take smaller space than VHS, but after a while I ended up with rows and rows of CD and DVDs. Now I didn't bother with DVDs anymore, I just buy a new hard disk when I ran out of space. I haven't tried Blue Ray yet tho. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 04:43   Link #27
Thingle
Banned

So it was still alive?
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 08:33   Link #28
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Of course it was still alive, even the most high tech country in the world, Japan still use it. Last seen in Kannagi where they were recording something.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 09:42   Link #29
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Of course it was still alive, even the most high tech country in the world, Japan still use it. Last seen in Kannagi where they were recording something.
You mean Lolliko Cutie.

VHS has been around long enough as a recording medium, but somehow it still cannot beat filmreels, which has been around since the 1800s. It is still used today.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 09:57   Link #30
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You mean Lolliko Cutie.

VHS has been around long enough as a recording medium, but somehow it still cannot beat filmreels, which has been around since the 1800s. It is still used today.
You're right, we've forgotten to take note of that. A few years ago there was an ambitious experiment to replace reels with digital projection systems and satellite feeds as a secure measure and a supposedly speedier method of distribution. Turned out to be very costly and those digital projectors couldn't match the quality of film projectors.
Old 2009-01-08, 13:52   Link #31
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^With all due respect to old skool movie reels and 5˘ Nickelodeons (and no I don’t mean the network), those items were never consumerized to the point that 80-90% percent of households could purchase and use them…Film might have VHS technology beat in pure usage over time, but in personal consumption it’s not even close, because it was never meant to be an intial in-home product…
Old 2009-01-08, 17:51   Link #32
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I still have one and it is functional with no dust covering it
My parents have one, we bought it when DVD players were just about new after our old one (which was as old as I was back then) finally died
I still use it to record movies or shows, my mom uses it to record her detective shows, I find it silly to buy a DVD recorder since we have 2 DVD players in this house, one on my room and one downstairs and both are not even THAT old (youngest is about 3 years used now) so why should I just throw that one out, it would be a waste

as for tapes in my collection, all of them are like my childhood, they are all cartoon shows and disney movies, the first 2 movies of Pokemon and cartoons from Daffy Duck, Supermouse and several others. I'll surely miss them
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 18:35   Link #33
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
How about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCAM
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 18:47   Link #34
mg1942

I have bunch of VHS tapes with NBA clips. The tape that I treasured the most was the game 6 of the NBA Finals. I wanted to record that game bnecause it was Michael Jordan's last game playing for the Chicago Bulls.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 19:49   Link #35
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Yeah, i know. Technically it is actually possible to use VHS tapes to store data..., i think the russians made some devices, but cannot remember what it was called.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-09, 23:24   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

In the US, unfortunately they really haven't put out products to replace the VCR (no, TIVO does not count, I don't need a subscription to use my VCR). They exist but they're really hard to find. Currently I'm using a dedicated PC for "taping" but its a bit too complicated for my wife to want to mess with (the UI is.... not-ready-for-prime-time).

But as for missing VHS? yeah, right -- I'll miss it as much as I miss 8-track audio tapes: not at all.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-01-10 at 00:30.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 08:30   Link #37
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Don't forget you have to rewind them. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 09:13   Link #38
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca View Post
Don't forget you have to rewind them. ^^
Ah but on the other hand you could fast forward through all the commercials at the beginning and get right to the movie! Something that amazingly is not possible to do on some dvds (Disney being one of the more notorious ones to prevent this).
Old 2009-01-10, 11:12   Link #39
klowny
OH NO

i'll miss it, as a kid i always bought some Old cartoons on VHS.. those were the days
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-10, 15:46   Link #40
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

My dad still uses a VHS on a daily bases. He uses it to record his daily chinese channel programs. I keep asking him why wouldn't he use the DVD recorder that we have sitting under the TV (we're still using a CRT tv ), he said that VHS on long mode can record 8 hours yet the DVD on low quality mode can only go up to 4. He wanted to find a VHS head cleaner the other day, yet he couldn't find it anywhere (except tesco...).

I really should record my VHS into DVD, I have a whole bunch of Disney films and childrens films. And the chinese dub of Princess Tu Tu I recorded off the chinese channel.

Come to think of it...we still have a bunch of LDs...too bad our LD player busted years ago. DVD should live longer then VHS, since Blu-ray players can always play DVDs.

My family is quite old tech...