AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-26, 23:52   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Cellphone found in the 1920's???

Ok this may be silly or it might be one of the greatest discoveries ever...Ever since I discovered this at work today I've been having heated debates with people over what's going on in this clip...Apparently in 1928 stock-footage taken from a Charlie Chaplin movie it appears that a "woman" is talking on a "cellphone" ...

Now I thought this would be so obviously bad that it would be easy to discredit but as I showed people the clip and we all debated it, the opinions were varied and evenly split down the middle on what is happening here...

I personally believe that is a man or alien in 1920's clothing talking on some sort of communication device...The reason I don't think this is fake is because it's so non-descript and so not obvious in the way it is captured...If you look at the very end of the part where the woman is talking before it fades out, you can CLEARLY see that this "thing" is having a conversation with someone in tone...

So decide for yourself, I've included the clip by itself and the filmmaker who discovered it and was so shocked by it he had to show it to various audiences...And before you say it WE KNOW THAT CELL TOWERS CAN'T BE IN 1928, but the word "cellphone" is merely used for context...It may just be a communication device between and alien and it's ship or a time-traveler (Which is what the filmmaker believes)...Again, look at the "woman's" feet if you have a chance...That's not a human foot IMO and if it is it's someone (or thing) in disguise...Have a open-mind and please discuss without completely dismissing...

Old 2010-10-27, 00:41   Link #2
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I don't think she was holding a cell phone. She doesn't seem to be holding anything at all as a matter of fact. She might've easily been trying to fix a wad of hair or her earring. Her hand is crunched up too small to be holding a cell phone, even if you're talking about one of those small baby phones people have. And if you look really carefully, you can't see anything inside her hand either. Half her fingers are almost touching the palm of her hand while the other two are over her ear. I think people are just making too big a deal out of this...
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 01:51   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ The first mobiles were the size of your flipflops, hand-sized gadgets came out around the new millenium.
Quote:
I think people are just making too big a deal out of this...
Much afraid I'll have to second this, but maybe the idea of a cell phone existed back then, kinda like we got all sorts of ideas right now which we can't apply physically.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 01:58   Link #4
Gin
*Artist

I concur with darkwing, it was obviously an alien.
Old 2010-10-27, 03:03   Link #5
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^ The first mobiles were the size of your flipflops, hand-sized gadgets came out around the new millenium.
That's the other thing. I didn't want to mention it because all these people were thinking this was the doing of a time traveller or an alien. I mean, honestly, if there was a time traveller, what would he/she be doing in a Charlie Chaplin movie? History would've changed quite a lot if this was the case but I think I can safely say that it hasn't. And Aliens? We would already know about them regardless.

Quote:
Much afraid I'll have to second this, but maybe the idea of a cell phone existed back then, kinda like we got all sorts of ideas right now which we can't apply physically.
I don't think such an idea even existed until long after. Back then, people hardly imagined phones that could be carried in your pocket and if they did, they wouldn't think they would be that small yet. I would expect phones were imagined to be in a cruved shape and two round beams on either side for to send and receive transmission respectively.
Old 2010-10-27, 03:22   Link #6
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well I'll say this. Modern physics dictates that time travel into the "past" is impossible.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 03:32   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ You're saying it as if time travel into the future is possible...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 03:39   Link #8
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
^ You're saying it as if time travel into the future is possible...
Only because we already are From a certain point of view anyways.
Old 2010-10-27, 03:49   Link #9
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
If she was a time traveler, did she planned to come out of that film, just to be known? Besides, why didn't the director complain why the woman is holding something near her cheek which is unusual ( was that on the script?) back then... or did l say it wrong...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 03:57   Link #10
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
If she was a time traveler, did she planned to come out of that film, just to be known? Besides, why didn't the director complain why the woman is holding something near her cheek which is unusual ( was that on the script?) back then... or did l say it wrong...
From the point of view of a director, what she did was of little to no importance because it was just stock footage of bg characters that had no effect on the plot itself. The fact that it's stock footage is enough evidence of that already. They could be allowed to do anything so long as it looked relatively normal and didn't catch the eye for particular reason. Actions like that wouldn't gain anyone's attention unless she really was holding a cell phone or something that remotely looked like one. If that were the case, however, I think people back then would've been in an uproar for such a device to exist in that person's hand. That being said, the director wouldn't have complained or told her to do something different. She was there just to make an appearance, which is exactly what she did.
Old 2010-10-27, 04:11   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
You got a point there.... but..... if l was the director l would complain... heheheh
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 05:02   Link #12
thevil1
Adventure ∀logger

Send a message via AIM to thevil1
The way I look at it is that it's not a cell phone. A real one wouldn't work in that time if they don't have the technology for the towers or satellites.
Old 2010-10-27, 09:32   Link #13
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:

Nonono. Further back. Somewhere around the late 1980s and early 1990s.

And they are the size of bricks.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 09:35   Link #14
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nonono. Further back. Somewhere around the late 1980s and early 1990s.

And they are the size of bricks.
He meant the hand-size cell phones, not the first giant models that were invented, and for work purposes on top of that.
Old 2010-10-27, 09:48   Link #15
kakakka

I think the woman is covering her face. The sun is on that side of her face, she has to cover it so won't get the full sunlight.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 10:01   Link #16
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

No way is that a cell phone, it is definitely (in my opinion) a Siemens carbon hearing aide.

They were invented in 1924 and were held like phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I don't think she was holding a cell phone. She doesn't seem to be holding anything at all as a matter of fact. She might've easily been trying to fix a wad of hair or her earring. Her hand is crunched up too small to be holding a cell phone, even if you're talking about one of those small baby phones people have. And if you look really carefully, you can't see anything inside her hand either. Half her fingers are almost touching the palm of her hand while the other two are over her ear. I think people are just making too big a deal out of this...
Watching it again I see what you mean, it does seem like a shadow might just be creating the illusion of her holding something. In which case we are probably just seeing some odd behaviour by a fellow human being or like I said she is using a hearing aide (testing it by talking).

As for her strange feet, I really don't see what is so alien like about them. So she has big feet (I guess women back then didn't?) or she is just wearing shoes that are a bit big for her.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2010-10-27 at 10:16.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 10:27   Link #17
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Watching it again I see what you mean, it does seem like a shadow might just be creating the illusion of her holding something. In which case we are probably just seeing some odd behaviour by a fellow human being or like I said she is using a hearing aide (testing it by talking).
Since you mentioned it, it's also likely she's holding a hearing aid. If it was colored black, it would be nearly impossible to see it in her hand, and it's too small to be a cell phone as well.

Either way, she's not an alien or a time traveller
Old 2010-10-27, 10:38   Link #18
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
No way is that a cell phone, it is definitely (in my opinion) a Siemens carbon hearing aide.

They were invented in 1924 and were held like phones.

As for her strange feet, I really don't see what is so alien like about them. So she has big feet (I guess women back then didn't?) or she is just wearing shoes that are a bit big for her.
Well that’s certainly the best counter-point that’s appearing all over the net on this, but it’s still so eerie (When you take into account the weird “Trying to fit in” clothing and physical prowess of this person)…You just wanna see something more obvious to refute the extreme notion…Where’s the elongated wire? Why is she having a conversation into the thing? Her mannerisms while holding it seem to be overly nonchalant…The slight turn of the head that clearly shows someone pontificating something emotionally in the “receiver”…

A random, creepishly oversized old lady with size 14 feet casually, if not matter-of-factly talking into a device while strolling in-front of a B-roll set up she may or may not known existed…There’s something so weird, yet unassuming about it, which is why many people are debating it and find the easy solution to be not so easy at all…
Old 2010-10-27, 10:44   Link #19
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Either way, she's not an alien or a time traveller
That doesn't rule out her being an esper or a slider though.

Seriously though, why do some people always go for the most bizarre explanation. "There's a woman holding something in a old movie. She must be a time traveler!" "There's a light in the sky. It must be aliens!" There's a thousand possible explanations that are more likely. It's a hearing aid. It's some sort of heating pad thing. She's an inventor and it's some kind of device she made. It's a shadow. She's just weird. Many more that I can't think of off the top of my head All vastly more likely than time travel.

Though my trap sense is tingling there. Those feet and hands seem rather large for a woman.
Old 2010-10-27, 10:47   Link #20
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
A random, creepishly oversized old lady with size 14 feet casually, if not matter-of-factly talking into a device while strolling in-front of a B-roll set up she may or may not known existed…There’s something so weird, yet unassuming about it, which is why many people are debating it and find the easy solution to be not so easy at all…
I will agree that it does seem like there is the perfect combination of elements to paint an eerie picture. I'm just one of those people that doesn't easily believe in the more fantastical possibilties of stuff such as this.

Still I always love reading people's other wordly and conspiratorial like explanations for things in this world. Some can be quite intricate and imaginative.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote