AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-08-23, 21:07   Link #81
Joker-kun

To the person above. I mean that it seems fansubs are getting worse and worse in alot of things they do, this is just another .
Joker-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 23:44   Link #82
cagz
Distro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
So let's see... some kid at school who knows nothing about computers but needs a computer to do work for school anyways gets his box compromised. Some annoying people set up a server on his box and voila, he starts blasting the network. Some admins find out, shut off his internet connection and also sends him to the administration for a talk about 'distributing illegal materials.'
If the admin didn't find out, he ends up flooding the uplink pipe, causing everyone else's legitimate transfers to slow down.
It doesn't matter if the admin finds out or not, rooting a box can make the life of the person whose box got rooted or the people around him VERY annoying. Just because some car door is left ajar in the parking lot does not mean you have a right to steal the car.
A) If the Admin found out and queried the student, who obviously would not have known about it, it's doubtful he would be in trouble for it because it was not his fault and more then likely should get a rundown in securing his or her pc.
B) Like i said before if the admin doesn't notice the traffic he deserves to loose his job. Because that is what they are PAID to prevent, just like cops and alarm companies are PAID to prevent auto theft. And no i know this doesn't give you the right to steal the car or steal someone else's connection, but it comes down to morals and "online" some people just don't have any.
cagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 20:56   Link #83
markybot

Hi

Im a a little n00blet when it comes to what u guys are talkin about, mostly cuz I don't use irc. but it sounds a little scary.

If anyone can help me understand a few things I would appreciate it.

So the ppl who root other ppl's comps without the comp owner knowing....do they only do this to ppl on high speed networks? Like my little old home computer on roadrunner wouldnt look too good to them right?

Also, the ppl they find to root....do they just randomly look for ppl, or do they look for ppl on irc that they can scab off of?

Lastly do ppl on bt get rooted too?

I have a bt window open almost 24 hours because I am constantly leeching and seeding anime.

Sorry if I sound a little paranoid, but I just rebuilt my comp, but b4 I could even put my Norton in, it got hijacked from some site or somewhere. My homepage kept goin to some spanish website, but i couldnt change it back because in Internet options the "set ur homepage" would not highlight. So I go to open up my powertoys to tweak a little but find out that the admin has disabled that feature. So I go into the registry to see whats goin on...but apparently I cant because the network admin disabled the registry editor as well. (btw my network consists of 1 computer...and im the admin) it wasnt till i did a google later on that someone else had the same thing happen to them where the spanish website was stickin to their homepage, but they offered no fix, I did however learn the term hijacked from his post =/ so I guess reading this just made me even more paranoid of someone taking over my machine. It is one of the most frustrating things in the world to not be able to control your own comp. I didnt build my fawking comp for some spanish website! I was up for 24 hours straight cuz after I got home from work I was reinstalling programs and what not just to make sure it was secure again.
markybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-24, 23:58   Link #84
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markybot
Hi

Im a a little n00blet when it comes to what u guys are talkin about, mostly cuz I don't use irc. but it sounds a little scary.

If anyone can help me understand a few things I would appreciate it.

So the ppl who root other ppl's comps without the comp owner knowing....do they only do this to ppl on high speed networks? Like my little old home computer on roadrunner wouldnt look too good to them right?

Also, the ppl they find to root....do they just randomly look for ppl, or do they look for ppl on irc that they can scab off of?

Lastly do ppl on bt get rooted too?

I have a bt window open almost 24 hours because I am constantly leeching and seeding anime.

Sorry if I sound a little paranoid, but I just rebuilt my comp, but b4 I could even put my Norton in, it got hijacked from some site or somewhere. My homepage kept goin to some spanish website, but i couldnt change it back because in Internet options the "set ur homepage" would not highlight. So I go to open up my powertoys to tweak a little but find out that the admin has disabled that feature. So I go into the registry to see whats goin on...but apparently I cant because the network admin disabled the registry editor as well. (btw my network consists of 1 computer...and im the admin) it wasnt till i did a google later on that someone else had the same thing happen to them where the spanish website was stickin to their homepage, but they offered no fix, I did however learn the term hijacked from his post =/ so I guess reading this just made me even more paranoid of someone taking over my machine. It is one of the most frustrating things in the world to not be able to control your own comp. I didnt build my fawking comp for some spanish website! I was up for 24 hours straight cuz after I got home from work I was reinstalling programs and what not just to make sure it was secure again.
Chances of a home user getting rooted are small. Home connections are weak, not up 24/7/7/365(6). It's just a hacker installing some software on your machine to steal your bandwidth, to send files he "smuggled" into your computer through IRC xdcc bots (or other means). Even if you are on a fast home connection, rooters usually go for high-speed lines, usually EDU connections.

If you really think that spanish website is a consequence of a hacker, just format your PC and install firewalls before connecting on internet. That's always an option.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 07:43   Link #85
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
Chances of a home user getting rooted are small. Home connections are weak, not up 24/7/7/365(6).
If you are on a known "good" ISP, the chances are as high as everywhere else that you can get rooted at home. "Good" means the ISP gives everyone unlimited upload at "high" speeds and does not bother to protect their users.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 09:46   Link #86
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
If you are on a known "good" ISP, the chances are as high as everywhere else that you can get rooted at home. "Good" means the ISP gives everyone unlimited upload at "high" speeds and does not bother to protect their users.
Everyone knows that isp's who tries to protect their users do so at the cost of their users freedom on the internet by blocking stuff for the user.

Its up to the home user to secure his own computer.

Most known virus programs can detect a rootkit.

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 11:51   Link #87
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker-kun
To the person above. I mean that it seems fansubs are getting worse and worse in alot of things they do, this is just another .
Because today there are a lot more fansub groups (over 100) than there were in years past, so of course there will be more groups doing 'bad' things. Whiners have a tendency to find the bad and ignore everything else. The same way if you know someone long enough, eventually you'll find something bad about them, but are you going to hate them because of it?
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-25, 16:05   Link #88
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki-
Most known virus programs can detect a rootkit.

Take Care
Sakaki-
To keep this simple and not turn this into a techncial forum, lets just say that this is false. (Infact, the majority dont...)
Old 2004-08-25, 19:33   Link #89
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

to the original distressed poster, if a group's release is hacked it is because the group broke into a machine that was not thiers and put their releases on it. So here comes another group also scanning for hacked machines and comes across this groups stuff on a hacked machine and rehacks it!

it's like a theif who breaks into a house to steal a computer, puts all his work on it only to find it has been stolen by another theif haha

Not all groups use hacked machines, it is important to point this out. I know many groups that pay 150$ US a month to rent dedicated computers to run their xdcc bots.
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 11:27   Link #90
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Chances of a home user getting rooted are small. Home connections are weak, not up 24/7/7/365(6). It's just a hacker installing some software on your machine to steal your bandwidth, to send files he "smuggled" into your computer through IRC xdcc bots (or other means). Even if you are on a fast home connection, rooters usually go for high-speed lines, usually EDU connections.
rooted by someone looking for distro? certainly the chances of that are small. rooted by someone scanning to get ddos bots or getting rooted by an autorooter virus (nachi comes to mind): a LOT higher.

To the fansub community, and to the warez community, a home user's pc is completely unimportant and pretty much useless. To the "hacker" (script kiddie) community, it's just as valuable to have 10,000 rooted boxes with 128kbit upload as it is to have 100 rooted 10 mbit boxes... maybe even more valuable, because nobody is going to track down all 10,000 rooted boxes that are ddosing them.

To the virus community, autorooter network-scanning worms are becoming the norm ... dcom, ms-sql, iis holes have all seen this sort of worm (ms-blast, nachi, sql-slammer, code red, code red 2, nimda). Any time a new network exploit comes out, these things happen. Even simple email is subject to these things (pick any of the dozens of variants of the dozens of worms that exploited insecure office 2000 and ie 5 defaults).

In the last few years, a lot of the "big" internet problems would have been completely stopped at the door with the use of hardened endpoint systems (personal firewalls, well-defined security policies, nontrivial passwords, mandatory authentication) and ubiquitous continually updated antivirus software, but far too few people run anything close to any of that.

it's precisely the attitude "I'm not going to get anything, my connection is worthless to these people" that lets things like ddos botnets exist, which is a FAR worse problem than people using university bandwidth for whatever distro.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 12:51   Link #91
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
To keep this simple and not turn this into a techncial forum, lets just say that this is false. (Infact, the majority dont...)
So, any guides, tools even to find, remove rootkits? Would be appreciated. (yes, complich8 scurred me)
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 18:46   Link #92
bayoab

Quote:
So, any guides, tools even to find, remove rootkits? Would be appreciated. (yes, complich8 scurred me)
The best way that ive tried... is to throw in a Knoppix Live CD and go searching for the files, but that is only for the well made kits. Most of them are in plain sight if you just look for them and all files that share the same day. There are lots of programs which they claim they do stuff (VICE), but i couldnt get them to work as advertised. If you google, you can find some decent guides and more information, but i dont know any offhand.
Old 2004-08-27, 18:49   Link #93
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

AVG Personal Edition and LavaSoft's AdAware.
crumja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 13:06   Link #94
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer

What im confuzzled about is...if lil ol' me was on the internet on irc, i just might get rooted!?!?!?!
.....this is shocking!!
I never thought fansubbing groups would do this far..
but i what i also dont get is, why not use bit torrent..or can u get rooted on bit torrent also? i mean..if like..2000 ppl (on some channels i have seen) use bit torrent, wouldn't it make bit torrent for everyone alot faster than just 1 seeder and 40 peers?
Kawaii_tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 23:19   Link #95
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii_tsunami
What im confuzzled about is...if lil ol' me was on the internet on irc, i just might get rooted!?!?!?!
.....this is shocking!!
I never thought fansubbing groups would do this far..
but i what i also dont get is, why not use bit torrent..or can u get rooted on bit torrent also? i mean..if like..2000 ppl (on some channels i have seen) use bit torrent, wouldn't it make bit torrent for everyone alot faster than just 1 seeder and 40 peers?
That depends on what kind of connection you're on. Unless you're on some ultra high speed connection, people won't really bother hacking in to your PC for anime distribution purpose. And why do people still like the XDCC bots? Because those old commers like to hog the bandwidth, and leech as fast as their bandwidth will allow them. I believe in the power of BT, but not everyone does...
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 07:14   Link #96
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
Its so easy to stop a hacker/worm from entering your system, good Firewall rules own every single hacker out there =P

<3 Iptables & CHX-1 (Firewall for windows, much like Iptables + Free for home use)

I myself have administrated quite a few servers and saw daily hack attempts on Apache, SSH, and MySQL in the firewall logs. blocking every incoming connection works ^_^.

They were proxy servers, so they dont need to create new incoming connections (blocking initial SYN packets) but just allowing the server to create the connection itself and receive data back from the webserver on the same connetion (aka outside comps are not allowed to initiate a connection to the proxy, only the proxy may initiate a connection).

Only thing that might work is if a hacker spoofs itself as a webserver that a proxy user is using, but seeing how its virtually impossible to determine that and the connection closes so fast AND you need to get the destination port right, the threat is lower than George Bush's IQ.

Conclusion: Firewalls and Brains own hackers/script kiddies on every single step they take in trying to root your server/comp.

PS: For all you Outlook/MSIE users, get a real browser/Email prog, get Firefox/Thunderbird
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-07, 18:51   Link #97
Kawaii_tsunami
Apprentice Timer

i had no idea people would sink this looooow
Kawaii_tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 13:26   Link #98
Adol

It really is a shame...
I guess its true, most fansubbers morals are out the door.
Oh well, its just a drama fest anyhow.

r00ted bots should be killed, etc. Don't support rooms that do it.
The fansubbers know who r00ts and who doesn't.
If they cared, they'd do something about it.
Adol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 13:48   Link #99
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adol
It really is a shame...

I just love when people think they have any right to speak of "most fansubbers" or "most" anyone.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 15:06   Link #100
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
It really is a shame...
It's been like this for a while. The whole l33tness started when E-F and A-E started putting out essentially 0-day fansubs. Not saying they did anything wrong, quite the opposite, but all of a sudden alot of bandwagon jumpers decided they could do the same thing, and it became all about ego, l33tness, speedsubbing, fansub orgies *cough* Naruto and SDK *cough*

Quote:
Easier said than done... the owners of the bots obviously have no problem with them. And yeah, not supporting is a decent idea, but leechers in general are too needy to make that work.
N-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote