*** 7 14.89%
**** 4 8.51%
***** 7 14.89%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-15, 19:34   Link #1
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Episode 172 Discussion

Welcome to this week's episode discussion thread posted on Wednesday, or soon after, since it airs on that day in Japan.

Thread guidelines:

* No telling/asking where to find raws/subs.
* No mentioning of group names.
* No spoilers.
* No off-topicness.
* Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
* Discuss your comments on the episode.

Just to make it clear there is to be no making new topics about the two last guidelines cited above. They will be systematically closed down because this thread was created so all the posts regarding these topics would be in one place.

Furthermore, please remember that only moderators can start the episode discussion threads every week.
Old 2006-02-15, 23:39   Link #2
AkatsukisApprentice
Akatsuki's Apprentice

Oh wow...the episode was so "blah" if they used any more recycled animation from old episodes, even I could of made this episode...so sad to see a good show getting abused that like.

The last scene with Naruto was ripped from the Haku arc...worse than that is the animation has been crapped on, by the addition of orange flames in the background...oh yeah so fearsome.. Also the scene from when Naruto was thrown off the cliff to summon Gamabunta, we see the old passage way as well as the Kyuubi..nothing much changed there, except that the conversation between Naruto and the Kyuubi was not there, and the Kyuubi seemed a little too happy to see him lol

Yes yes..the basic storyline for this arc is good, but the way they're going through it sucks. Bah I initially had high hopes for this arc, I thought the anime team have repented for their sins with the curry of life arc...now I just wish those episodes were here instead.
AkatsukisApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 00:32   Link #3
AIKakashi
Sempai

Send a message via AIM to AIKakashi
I thought it was ok. But the recycled theme came to my mind too.

only more script wise than animations wise.

Naruto's "I'm the same as you" "I know how you feel." speech

the "I'll tell you all about Naruto's sad tale and how he strives everyday to overcome and be recognized" speech (The only difference is who tells it. First it was Iruka then Kakashi, then the Third, then Tsunade, now Anko)

and they don't even re-word it to make it more interesting. its like the same script over and over, and they seem to try and squeeze it into every episode. I mean even the manga has moved on, at least for now, from "the speech".

I mean at least make it seem original. I just hope all this recycled stuff is leading up to a wicked ending.
AIKakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 01:35   Link #4
ChibiAlpha
Dorkus Maximus

As expected from the preview last week.. the animation for this episode was very poor(Shino's bugs don't even look like bugs). I didn't expect them pull some GSD and fill it up with stock footage/writing. Really made it all too predictable IMO.

Seems like they are switching between animation teams for the arc. I can only hope they switch back to the other team.
ChibiAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 01:36   Link #5
avangion

Episode 172 Synopsis: Depair, The Torn Heart
Naruto and gang escapes the collapsing tunnel with a giant snake summoned by Anko. The convoy receives a fake message that the Kaima was defeated, thereby leaving without Naruto and gang. The convoy is ambushed by Amachi and gang. Naruto’s gang arrives. They fight - Naruto vs. Isaribi, Anko vs. Amachi. Anko became unconscious from some chemicals. Amachi became a full sea monster and summoned a water elemental to swallow Naruto. Naruto went SSJ1 (umm, Kyuubi-mode) and destroyed the elemental from within. He charges at Amachi…

Episode 173 Preview: Sea Battle! A Power That’s Released Over Time.
Naruto summons the Toad Boss. Shino seems in trouble, lying on the ground. Naruto rides the toad. RM Preview also available at http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/naruto/story_f.html

DB Fillers Countdown: To continue for another 7 weeks.
avangion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 01:39   Link #6
avangion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKakashi
Naruto's "I'm the same as you" "I know how you feel." speech

the "I'll tell you all about Naruto's sad tale and how he strives everyday to overcome and be recognized" speech (The only difference is who tells it. First it was Iruka then Kakashi, then the Third, then Tsunade, now Anko)

and they don't even re-word it to make it more interesting. its like the same script over and over, and they seem to try and squeeze it into every episode. I mean even the manga has moved on, at least for now, from "the speech".
Yeah. I’m getting quite sick of the “misunderstood, lonely guy who turned evil and then got inspired by Naruto’s perseverance” plot.
avangion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 03:59   Link #7
Grees
Ehhh

It comes to the point were the story doesnt matter any more, weak as it has become. Lets just hope that they put in a nice fight next episode.
Grees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 05:40   Link #8
Spectrebane

Angry

I am seriously getting tired of Naruto in general, " "Oh my god, no matter how much I train i'm still a stupid little brat that cannot beat anyone up and go on the verge of death and gets saved by a fucking fox ***** living inside of me."

Atleast his is how i'm starting to feel, I didn't start with the manga, but i'm seriously thinking of giving up on the anime and reading the manga instead, to get right to the point.

Other than that, this arc is ok, animation was sub-par at best, interesting theme, other than that, meh.
Spectrebane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 06:48   Link #9
fu5ed

geez , the anime is getting more and more boring ... the scene where Naruto meet Kyubi is also the thing we saw b4 , less and less post on current episode
7 more to go ,
hopefully by then all the people will be back
fu5ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 07:15   Link #10
Blaster

All they need is a Kurenai arc without Naruto. Somehow when Naruto gets involved, the name "Sasuke" always pops up somewhere and the main focus always switches to Naruto. Determination and preserverance pops up somewhere too.

If they just did a background story on Anko, about her past, why she got discarded by Oro and how she fights the villian of the arc, it would be much better.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 11:53   Link #11
lavielove

Rocks!! the first part of the episode is totally lame but I definately like the latter part.That's how it should be in a naruto show.I was like "yeah!!" when Kyubii was awakened coz I was always pissed off by that repetitive jokes,summoning the small frogs almost all the time in the battles.It's been a long time I haven't see Naruto over-power like this in this filler periods.Next week Kybbi going to face-off that lame fella.Damn ! it should be double-relase in one shot like Bleach this week.

I really feel I'm sinner coz I like this filler
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 13:42   Link #12
The Valeyard
Kikaichuu!!

Send a message via MSN to The Valeyard
The episode was bad, but not as bad as i thought it would be. It still gets a ** because of the crap animation and because of the contant re-use of previous stuff. However, i still like the story, and i'll still consider this to be one of the better arcs if the filler comes to a good conclusion next week.
The Valeyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 15:28   Link #13
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Naruto summoning Gamabunta in a filler ep is just plain wrong.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 15:41   Link #14
Tapp Zaddaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
Naruto summoning Gamabunta in a filler ep is just plain wrong.
Why? He always summons the lil toads, so whats wrong with him summoning the boss?
Tapp Zaddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 15:43   Link #15
SuPaFrEnZ
Big Daddy

It just makes me sad that such a great Animation like this gets ruined.
SuPaFrEnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 16:14   Link #16
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapp Zaddaz
Why? He always summons the lil toads, so whats wrong with him summoning the boss?
Because he has not been trained to summon Gamabunta yet. This only leads me to believe the animators are going to show a Kyubfied Naruto, which is also wrong. In addition, every time Gama had been summoned before it has been a pretty significant part of the anime; these fillers are just wank and have no relevance to the original story line whatsoever. It's wrong. Simple as that.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 19:21   Link #17
AIKakashi
Sempai

Send a message via AIM to AIKakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by avangion
Yeah. I’m getting quite sick of the “misunderstood, lonely guy who turned evil and then got inspired by Naruto’s perseverance” plot.
I'm not as sick of it as well... I wish they'd change the tune a bit. I mean I get who he is and that he can relate to all these people, but theres got to be either one episode where there's one person he doesn't relate to, I mean how can everyone be just like him? boring world right?, or an episode where he relates to someone but tells them how in a way we haven't heard a million times before already. like I said, if I'm not mistaken, I'll have to go back and re-read, but I think they've even given this a rest in the manga for now. they need to do that in the anime for a while too. Its getting tedious.
AIKakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 19:34   Link #18
Ziv

couldn't help but point this out:

Last edited by Ziv; 2006-02-18 at 20:49.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 19:35   Link #19
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by avangion
You mean like this?

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-16, 20:27   Link #20
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
That is a fricking sweet picture, where did you get it?
AnimePlus is offline   Reply With Quote