AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-06, 11:01   Link #141
LKK

A very strong first episode. I like how the teaser pre-credits sequence turned out to be the reverse of what I assumd was going on. Touma is an interesting and engaging character. However, I hope the script writers ease off on him declaring he's unlucky. Hearing that for every third line he said got to be a little tiresome. Index was cute. Her voice sounded familiar, but when I checked her resume, I didn't see anything she's done that I've watched. So I don't know why it sounds familiar. The second girl, Sparky, added some fun conflict. I hope we see more of her. Looking forward to episode 2.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-10-06, 11:30   Link #142
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow that was pretty damn awesome...Nice animation, decent music, and a pretty interesting setting. As for the characters they just made it all the better, but then I've always had a soft spot for things like guys with crap luck and Loli teachers.

Easily my favorite show I've seen so far this season.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2008-10-06, 12:09   Link #143
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
Omoshire, honto omoshire this anime. Though I'm clueless about the whole mage/psychic thing (interesting themes though), it was an ejoyable episode.

Wth is up with a little girl hanging up on your balcony and the first thing she says is "onaka heta" xD. For some reason, this kind of reminds me of The Law of Ueki.

It seems like it'll just get better from here =).
Old 2008-10-06, 12:18   Link #144
Midonin
Last Engage

Index is cute. I also liked Rina Satou's performance as Mikoto - though in such a tech-heavy city, I can see how having electrical powers could be a problem. As others have mentioned, the combination of J.C. Staff + light novel + Mami Kawada opening does give off a very Shana feel, and considering I was watching SnSII at this time last year, it's good to have a supernatural action show among the many I'm watching.

Looking forward to more.
Old 2008-10-06, 16:14   Link #145
SkoolRumble4Ya

Yes the Eclipse+M33W collabo just released this series, I can't wait watch it later.
Old 2008-10-06, 16:39   Link #146
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
Yes the Eclipse+M33W collabo just released this series, I can't wait watch it later.
Then I guess I just wasted my time re-encoding it to a smaller resolution. Oh well, I only did it for myself anyways since I couldn't wait any longer.

Though I expected this was gonna be good, this was still better than I expected. Animation quality is one of the best of the season. Index has far more appeal than she does in the manga[due to the voice], the Mikoto scene from chap 3 was better, and Komoe is just soo cute, which I did think she was, but that voice makes me want to squeeze her[and Index] like Elmira(Tiny Toons for those who know). And Magnius looks like a grown man. It also made me realize that Touma always seems to be running from/for/after something.
Old 2008-10-06, 17:04   Link #147
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Though I expected this was gonna be good, this was still better than I expected.
Though if there is one problematic thing, it's the fact that the anime takes out a lot of the narration, so lots of things that are explained (sometimes needlessly) are taken out, like the system of Levels and the "difference" between Magic and Supernatural powers.
It's still okay now, but I worry about when the anime gets to the points where the author plays excuse games...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-06, 17:29   Link #148
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
It's still okay now, but I worry about when the anime gets to the points where the author plays excuse games...
Yay...it'll be like code geass
Old 2008-10-06, 19:23   Link #149
neoeagle

wowowowow

Omfg.This series is freaking awesome.

Nice anime,check
Super power.check
Studio.check

Good i won't be disappointed this fall.

Casshern, Aru Majutsu and abyss.

U.P.K.I.A
Old 2008-10-06, 19:44   Link #150
Mentar
Banned

I'll say this much: Index has been on our potential shortlist for a while, but so have several other shows. I had been reading through the mangas (and particularly loved the Railgun sub-manga), but I doubted that it would make it, since the TL just entered the RL-workforce and thus was not particularly eager to pick up one more anime.

And well, he had the same reaction I had. He fell in love with the OP off the bat

I believe that this show has quite a bit to offer. The characters are enjoyable, the anime-Index is better than the manga version, and Mikoto is every bit as fun as I hoped. Add in the Shizuka Itou rule (every anime with her NEEDS to be given at least 1 epiode), and I was sold. Pretty animation, clean transfer... what more can you wish for?

It would not surprise me if this show might develop a real following over time. Let's see.
Old 2008-10-06, 20:53   Link #151
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Was a pretty fun first episode. Power of negation really does make the poor guys life tricky. On the one hand he can handle lightning attacks without problem, but on the other side he kills his own luck and crushes his debit card. Talk about a double edged sword. Though doesn't seem like Touma's luck has gotten any better with the way that episode finished.

Was pretty fun and while I wasn't sure what to expect it turned out pretty well. Should be a good one to follow along.
Old 2008-10-06, 21:10   Link #152
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

I'm diggin the science-magic clash already. Makes for some interesting times there.

I guess I'll have to get to the novels at some point.
Old 2008-10-06, 22:34   Link #153
Sin Ansem
With this I'm Invincible!

Send a message via AIM to Sin Ansem Send a message via MSN to Sin Ansem
AND FINALLY, I KNOW WHERE SERENADE'S AVATAR COMES FROM! *feels stupid*

Wow, the trailer must've been out for a long time considering that's how long I've seen it though...

Also, just seen the show. Love the sci-fi grunge-techno music. Perhaps the first notable OP I've heard all season.

Very nice ep, setting the stage, introducing the action and moe... I think this will be the one to watch, huh?

I Am Negima!?, and SO CAN YOU!
Part the First
Part the Second
Abandon Sanity, all ye who read here
Old 2008-10-06, 23:01   Link #154
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

So... in the manga he was trying to save Mikoto, and in the anime he was trying to save the delinquents? Works for me.

I have to keep wondering, though, why he doesn't complain to the authorities about her attempts to attack him, as payback for his fried appliances if nothing else. Well, with his luck, they probably would have broken down for some other reason anyway.

Or why he doesn't seem to have registered his ability to negate powers. Something like that is easy to measure/demonstrate, with the help of another Esper. Defensive type or no, he can negate Lvl 5 attacks, so shouldn't he be level 5, too?

Enjoyable episode, in any case. Too bad the HQ encode is 340 MB...
Old 2008-10-06, 23:14   Link #155
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
Yay...it'll be like code geass
Volume 2 \(^o^)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
So... in the manga he was trying to save Mikoto, and in the anime he was trying to save the delinquents? Works for me.
No, I believe it's the same for manga, novel, and anime. He was trying to save the delinquents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
I have to keep wondering, though, why he doesn't complain to the authorities about her attempts to attack him, as payback for his fried appliances if nothing else. Or why he doesn't seem to have registered his ability to negate powers. Something like that is easy to measure/demonstrate, with the help of another Esper. Defensive type or no, he can negate Lvl 5 attacks, so shouldn't he be level 5, too?
Well, the first part... Not sure... I think that's just one of the nice guy things...
As for registering his power and level 5 thing...
Spoiler for just an explanation the anime won't do, but covering with tag just in case:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-10-06, 23:26   Link #156
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Ah, I misread that then.

"An explanation the anime won't do", hmm?
Old 2008-10-07, 00:23   Link #157
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Though if there is one problematic thing, it's the fact that the anime takes out a lot of the narration, so lots of things that are explained (sometimes needlessly) are taken out, like the system of Levels and the "difference" between Magic and Supernatural powers.
It's only the first episode, and no one wants to be bored with a bunch of technical explanations. Other than the difference in magic and supernatural abilities(which I think was explained in chap 5 of the manga), I don't recall anything that needed mentioning. Well, there was the whole Mikoto thing in chap 1, but it seems like that part was structured more like the Railgun manga, so it made sense. As far as serious explanations go, they can wait a couple of eps and cover a bit more ground story/char-wise so we can put situations/faces to these instances.
Old 2008-10-07, 01:06   Link #158
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Well, I am certainly interested in following this anime, but I am rather confused after watching this first episode. From what I read from the synopsis it's like some where science and magic collide. I'm interested in finding out how they'll explain the difference between science (technology), psychic powers and magic powers.

I get this feeling like it'll be close to Marvel comics where they can categorize super powers in branches and origins.
Old 2008-10-07, 02:54   Link #159
JediNight
キズランダム

Of course the problem with the hand is it's defensive only. Which means the only way he can hurt them back is by physically attacking them, or I suppose if he got a gun or something...

I know nothing of the series, so I'm going to assume that his destruction of Index's clothes wrecked their defensive power, so she got owned. Although I had to laugh that they got ripped to shreds, but 3 safety pins piece it back together ... wha?!
Old 2008-10-07, 04:26   Link #160
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
No, I believe it's the same for manga, novel, and anime. He was trying to save the delinquents.
Er... I think that this is a slightly misleading way to put it. His initial narration in the anime tells the story: First, he saw a delinquent harassing a girl, and he decided to play hero a bit. Only later it dawned on him that effectively, he wasn't trying to protect the girl from the delinquents, but effectively the delinquents from the shocker. But that was only how things turned out, he did NOT interfere in the beginning intending to protect the delinquents, otherwise his initial monologue would have been different.

And let it be known that I really really want more chapters of the Railgun submanga. It's absolutely adorable
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen