Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-13, 20:47   Link #341
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I don't know if Kyoto Animation being the studio that made it had much to do with its popularity; Kyoto Animation was a pretty little-known studio before Haruhi. It was Haruhi itself that gave Kyoto Animation most of the fame they enjoy today.
I'm actually quite positive that though Kyoto had not been such a prolific and large studio as Toei or Sunrise, their work was immediately noted when they animated Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!, and when they released both Air and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid in 2005, they set the new bar for animation quality and received a large amount of attention.
Of course, I'll also say that the fact that KyoAni did Haruhi wasn't a huge factor, as it had relatively little attention prior to its airing, though there were obviously many who wanted to see if Kyoto's animation team could live up to their previous works.

Also, chicido, if the concept was unusual at the time, does that mean they are a lot of anime series nowadays focusing on a god-like high school girl, her cynical male narrating friend, and a trio of fantastic "agents"?
I don't think I've seen one recently, and if I had, it would just prove how much of an influence Haruhi Suzumiya has been, if it has led other studios to go to such lengths to try to copy it.

Oh, and mirinus, I like the Pseudo-Jitte-on-a-First-Striking-chibi-tsundere in your sig.
Old 2008-02-13, 20:58   Link #342
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I'm actually quite positive that though Kyoto had not been such a prolific and large studio as Toei or Sunrise, their work was immediately noted when they animated Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!, and when they released both Air and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid in 2005, they set the new bar for animation quality and received a large amount of attention.
Of course, I'll also say that the fact that KyoAni did Haruhi wasn't a huge factor, as it had relatively little attention prior to its airing, though there were obviously many who wanted to see if Kyoto's animation team could live up to their previous works.

Also, chicido, if the concept was unusual at the time, does that mean they are a lot of anime series nowadays focusing on a god-like high school girl, her cynical male narrating friend, and a trio of fantastic "agents"?

I don't think I've seen one recently, and if I had, it would just prove how much of an influence Haruhi Suzumiya has been, if it has led other studios to go to such lengths to try to copy it.

Oh, and mirinus, I like the Pseudo-Jitte-on-a-First-Striking-chibi-tsundere in your sig.
*scratches head* It's still an unusal concept, but my point is that the freshness wears off after a while. If you thought the first episode was weird (which I did find it weird when i first saw it), it won't make as much of an impact this time around. Then again, no anime is perfect, and crayon shin-chan is as close as it gets. XD
Old 2008-02-13, 21:14   Link #343
fallin up
my life is a harem

lucky star. i just dont get all the hoopla.
Old 2008-02-13, 21:28   Link #344
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Heh, thanks. I'm always amused when people get these references.

Wait till I do my ideas for Time Spiral time-shifted cards, lol...
Old 2008-02-13, 22:06   Link #345
mazer8

One Piece. All I can say is.....blah!
Old 2008-02-13, 22:26   Link #346
Shana

I didn't like FullMetal Alchemist. I was quite bored while watching it, I was so exited about the last episode to see if they'd do something good for a first time. Man, what's up with that Edward? Always doing things by himself; who said being a Military would be sleeping in clouds? and btw, WHO IN THE WORLD would make something without knowing first the rules?! (I mean, the did "that" on first episode w/o knowing they had to pay) wow! THAT IS A plot!
Old 2008-02-13, 22:33   Link #347
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Life is a Harem View Post
I Didn't Like The First 5 Min In The First Ep....But Rest Of The Anime Look Good..^^
Old 2008-02-13, 23:40   Link #348
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Life is a Harem View Post
same for me, I tried to find the humor ppl talking about in the show, but just wont work. But the OP is pretty fun hehe
Old 2008-02-13, 23:53   Link #349
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
I didn't like FullMetal Alchemist. I was quite bored while watching it, I was so exited about the last episode to see if they'd do something good for a first time. Man, what's up with that Edward? Always doing things by himself; who said being a Military would be sleeping in clouds? and btw, WHO IN THE WORLD would make something without knowing first the rules?! (I mean, the did "that" on first episode w/o knowing they had to pay) wow! THAT IS A plot!
How else would they begin a series about a pair of dysfunctional brothers who have a jolly good time going on magical - no no, alchemy is science - adventures searching for something? Of course, people would want their bodies back if they had lost them through acting like complete idiots, especially if it would only serve to make them weaker and if they had no means or even the faintest clue of how to retrieve their bodies.
I thought it was a mildly decent series, though. Nowhere near what I had expected due to its hype, but it was a good twenty hours that would have been a bit less bland had I not watched the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
I Didn't Like The First 5 Min In The First Ep....But Rest Of The Anime Look Good..^^
It was probably more like the first ten minutes and most of the first four episodes. Afterwards, it was much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
same for me, I tried to find the humor ppl talking about in the show, but just wont work. But the OP is pretty fun hehe
You had to have watched a good deal of anime series, especially other ones by KyoAni, as they were played on moreso than the others. Still, it was funny if you hadn't really watched much anime, but much less so.
Old 2008-02-14, 01:30   Link #350
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cicido View Post
*scratches head* It's still an unusal concept, but my point is that the freshness wears off after a while. If you thought the first episode was weird (which I did find it weird when i first saw it), it won't make as much of an impact this time around. Then again, no anime is perfect, and crayon shin-chan is as close as it gets. XD
Believe it or not the arc in the anime is actually the most interesting part of the series for a good long while. If you read the novels it becomes almost aggravatingly stale as the characters fail to grow or take note of their experiences together. It's like the author just likes to reach in and press the reset button on any Haruhi and Kyon development that happened by the end of each novel for no good (literally) reason other than to drag the novels on as long as humanly possible. It's pretty brutal. Heck, I seem to recall that by the end of the 7th novel even some hardcore fans were starting to chaff a bit in the novel threads. Luckily the 9th novel finally offers something new if cliche and typical in and of itself. Anything to move finally move the plot along by that point was more than welcome to me.

Oh....right. Well chalk that up to a novel series that I'm having trouble liking when everyone else seems to. I mean I'm talking like, if a murderer had my family at gunpoint and said he'd kill them unless I read either the Council of Elrond Chapter of The Lord of The Rings Volume One again, or half of one chapter of The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi, I would pick the former. For those not in the know reading the Council of Elrond is about as exciting as watching paint dry. You keep reading the same line over and over and over and it takes 10 times as long as any other chapter because it's so unbelievably excruciating detailed and boring as all get out, and worst of all, it's deliberately so to convey a plot point. Yet that Haruhi novel manages to be even more obnoxious.
Old 2008-02-14, 05:33   Link #351
Amrael
Nothing ever changes.

Send a message via MSN to Amrael
Greetings to the community, I'm a noob here.

Goint to the topic, I'd say that Bleach is by far the most horrible anime I've ever saw. Truth is I love the manga, but the anime adaptation made me frown at the very least.
Old 2008-02-14, 05:42   Link #352
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrael View Post
Greetings to the community, I'm a noob here.

Goint to the topic, I'd say that Bleach is by far the most horrible anime I've ever saw. Truth is I love the manga, but the anime adaptation made me frown at the very least.
IRASHAIMASEEE!!
And welcome!
If you read through this thread a bit, you'd see that a good amount of people here agree with you, so that's always a good sign to start out with.

In my opinion, Bleach isn't an amazing series, though I was fairly interested until the filler arcs. The Soul Society arcs were quite well done (especially for Studio Pierrot), and the fights back then were each original to themselves (since they had little previous material to reuse).
I'd like to also throw Gundam 00 into the ring as well, while I'm here.
I'm not a personal fan of the Gundam franchise (I found Full Metal Panic! to be superior), and I've heard that Gundam 00 was even more disappointing than previous series, but it apparently has a good following.
Eh.
Old 2008-02-14, 06:42   Link #353
Amrael
Nothing ever changes.

Send a message via MSN to Amrael
Lol, I'm actually surprised that many don't like the anime adaptation of Bleach, I though to be somewhat blasphemous saying it XD.

BTW Thanks for welcoming ;P
Old 2008-02-14, 16:54   Link #354
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
IRASHAIMASEEE!!I'm not a personal fan of the Gundam franchise (I found Full Metal Panic! to be superior), and I've heard that Gundam 00 was even more disappointing than previous series, but it apparently has a good following.
Eh.
Where the hell did you heard this? Because there is no way in hell that 00 is worse then Destiny! Destiny imo was the lowest point in Gundam franchise, and really probably one of the worst anime ever.
Old 2008-02-14, 17:43   Link #355
JustInn14
moo

To add on to whatever I said before...

Bleach. Watched a couple episodes, but got too long and boring. Also, it air friggin late at NIGHT!

Inuyasha. Again, watched some episodes, and got dreadfully bored throughout the 20 episodes I saw.

One Piece. Haven't seen much of it, but it looks pretty crappy IMO.

And that's pretty much it.
Old 2008-02-15, 17:47   Link #356
fallin up
my life is a harem

naruto, i just hate it
Old 2008-02-16, 02:58   Link #357
Lintendo

Genshiken
I don't get it. I'm at a complete loss as to why so many people like it, praising it at whatever chance they've got. It's not hyped (thank Jeebus), but it's overrated as heck.
Old 2008-02-16, 03:30   Link #358
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Moyashimon. I don't know why people liked it. I watched it with my friends, which made it barely tolerable, but I would NEVER watch it again. And in my opinion, if a series isn't worth watching wore than once, it's not worth watching at all. Anyway, my main problem was that the entire concept was stupid. Not to mention, it also took itself seriously. Now, I'll admit, there were a few funny moments here and there, but they were not enough to override the feeling of "I'd rather be doing homework".

Denno Coil. For some reasons, the animation style, while smooth and crisp, gets on my nerves. I don't know why, so don't ask me. Maybe because it's serious looking on the surface, then looks all pseudo-cutsy and juvenile. While it's an interesting concept, they don't really bother to explain anything in detail, such as how the world is all cyber-ized and the like, so half the time I didn't know what the hell was going on. So, for the casual anime watcher such as myself, I just can't get into it. Also, I am not at all compelled by the characters. What are their motivations for doing what they do? Do they even have any? I mean, the mere fact that I have to think about these questions at all is proof in and of itself. I watch it at anime club because it's there, but I wouldn't watch it on my free time. Again, I had the feeling of "I'd rather be doing homework right now". Either that or, "lolz that guy just got haxx0rd! XD".
Old 2008-02-16, 03:49   Link #359
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustInn14 View Post
To add on to whatever I said before...

Bleach. Watched a couple episodes, but got too long and boring. Also, it air friggin late at NIGHT!
Bleach Start Was Not Good I Agree But After The 5/6 Ep The Show Get Better...You Missed A Lot Of Thing ..
Old 2008-02-16, 09:24   Link #360
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Naruto. I really do hate it, I hate it with a passion.

Would I be shot if I said The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?
Mabey I don't hate it but it's not something I would egerly look foward to.