AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-08, 19:32   Link #1
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Looking for any good romance manga or anime

Right now I have hit somewhat of a brick wall looking for romance manga as I have read so many..

Ichigo 100%
I"S
Love Hina
Kimi no Iru Machi
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Clannad
GE - Good Ending (waiting for next update)
Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama!

I know there are more that I have read but I cannot remember them :/

I have read others but I got bored or annoyed after the first 10 chapters.. Those were:

to-Love-ru - I just see too much Love Hina in this for some reason
School Rumble - Completely lost my interest after the 3rd chapter

So can you guys help me out here?

It can be just about any romance, but I prefer Shounen or Seinen, but shojo would work too.

The first person to mention Salior Moon I am going to hunt you down and beat you with a frozen tuna.

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-19 at 23:14.
Old 2010-07-08, 20:23   Link #2
JRendell
Manga Addict

If you liked Kimi no Iru Machi, check out Suzuka. It's by Seo Kouji; the same author.

I also found Onani Master Kurosawa an enjoyable, yet somewhat sad, read.

Edit:

Also check out GE ~Good Ending~ and Pastel. Can't believe I forgot those two.

Follow the links to read the descriptions, then decide if they are for you.

Hope these help.
Old 2010-07-08, 20:34   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Maison Ikkoku

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-07-08, 20:46   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love Sand Chronicles, but its definitely shoujo.
Old 2010-07-08, 21:16   Link #5
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I 2nd Good Ending, overall pretty good read.

Amagami and Kimikiss, a little different take on how the the stories go but still romance none the less.

Open Sesame, it's ok I guess but I kinda enjoyed.

If your up for some yuri fun then I'll have to recommend Girl Friends and Sasameki Koto, Sasameki Koto is a little slow on the romance but it's just really a lovely read, one of my favs.
Girl Friends moves along with it's romance and I'd just say read it anyway even if your not into the yuri stuff

top recommendation has to be Umi no Misaki, probably my favortie romance series atm, some will say it's pretty slow going but I prefer to say easy going.
On that note you might also wanna try Ai yori Aoshi, done by same guy that does Umi no Misaki.
Old 2010-07-08, 22:13   Link #6
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
If you liked Kimi no Iru Machi, check out Suzuka. It's by Seo Kouji; the same author.

I also found Onani Master Kurosawa an enjoyable, yet somewhat sad, read.

Edit:

Also check out GE ~Good Ending~ and Pastel. Can't believe I forgot those two.

Follow the links to read the descriptions, then decide if they are for you.

Hope these help.
I already am reading GE but I have nto checked out Suzuka or pastel. Also I just checked out Onani Master Kurosawa and almost died of laugher after seeing the description XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Maison Ikkoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I love Sand Chronicles, but its definitely shoujo.
Hm....

Added to stickynotes but I am not sure if I would like a shoujo.... being that I am a guy.

Although I read Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama! and so far I like it. Waiting for an update though @_@
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I 2nd Good Ending, overall pretty good read.

Amagami and Kimikiss, a little different take on how the the stories go but still romance none the less.

Open Sesame, it's ok I guess but I kinda enjoyed.

If your up for some yuri fun then I'll have to recommend Girl Friends and Sasameki Koto, Sasameki Koto is a little slow on the romance but it's just really a lovely read, one of my favs.
Girl Friends moves along with it's romance and I'd just say read it anyway even if your not into the yuri stuff

top recommendation has to be Umi no Misaki, probably my favortie romance series atm, some will say it's pretty slow going but I prefer to say easy going.
On that note you might also wanna try Ai yori Aoshi, done by same guy that does Umi no Misaki.
Hm... Added

Also what guy does not like yuri?

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-19 at 23:17.
Old 2010-07-08, 23:22   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Don't totally dismiss shoujo - in Japan lots of guys read shoujo on and lots of girls read shounen! Sand Chronicles is really a rock-solid romance manga, one of the better ones out there.
Old 2010-07-08, 23:37   Link #8
jedinat

Emma is a good period romance.
Dear Mine is extremely shoujo, but one of my favorite romance manga.
Mars is very heavy but undeniably good.
Kanata Kara is your classic "adventure with romance" story and is quite excellent. Shoujo of this type usually just plain suck (Fushigi Yuugi anyone?), but this is the exception.

Three of the four of those are not of the demographic you requested, but well, shonen romances are almost always awful and there are so few decent seinen ones...
Old 2010-07-08, 23:43   Link #9
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post
Added to stickynotes but I am not sure if I would like a shoujo.... being that I am a guy.
I am a guy, and at least two of my most loved series are shoujo. Don't let demographic labels throw you off of a series.

Anyways, I will second Maison Ikkoku. It's sort of a superior (imo) version of Love Hina.

I also recommend Cross Game for a more recent manga.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2010-07-09, 01:06   Link #10
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Don't totally dismiss shoujo - in Japan lots of guys read shoujo on and lots of girls read shounen! Sand Chronicles is really a rock-solid romance manga, one of the better ones out there.
I never said that I dismissed shoujo I just have been hesitant about reading some XD I guess this is one of those things were you should just take the plunge. That is how I got involved with romance manga and the first one I read was Love Hina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Emma is a good period romance.
Dear Mine is extremely shoujo, but one of my favorite romance manga.
Mars is very heavy but undeniably good.
Kanata Kara is your classic "adventure with romance" story and is quite excellent. Shoujo of this type usually just plain suck (Fushigi Yuugi anyone?), but this is the exception.

Three of the four of those are not of the demographic you requested, but well, shonen romances are almost always awful and there are so few decent seinen ones...
Hm.... added and thanks for the info ^-^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I am a guy, and at least two of my most loved series are shoujo. Don't let demographic labels throw you off of a series.

Anyways, I will second Maison Ikkoku. It's sort of a superior (imo) version of Love Hina.

I also recommend Cross Game for a more recent manga.
Added

Good my list has just exploded again!

Currently this is my list and I am going through it slowly as right now I am reading about 10 different manga at the same time (yes I can do that and not get the stories crossed).

*Note: there are about 10 more manga that should be on there but they are in stickies on the linux side of my machine:

Code:
Koi Kaze. - drama, mature, romance, seinen

Samurai Champloo

Darker than blacK - action, anime, drama, sci-fi, seinen, supernatural

Mushi shi

deathnote

Code Geuess

Noir

Clannad - anime, drama, fantasy, romance, school life, seinen

Air Gear - action, anime, comedy, ecchi, shounen, sports

One Outs

Tenjou Tenge

bakuman - comedy, drama, romance, school life, shounen, slice of life

detective conan - mehbe

Liar Game

xxxHolic

tsubasa chronicles

Bakemonogatari

Angel Beats - Hesitant

Afro Samurai

Durarara

Elfen Lied

Gravitation

Black Cat - action, anime, comedy, sci-fi, shounen, supernatural

Flame of Recca 
Planetes
Zatch Bell
Shaman King 
Eureka Seven anime/manga both good
Suzuka 
Mai-HiME
Fruits Basket
Saint Seiya
I's
Shinobi Life
GTO - Shonan 14 Days ( THis is GTO continued)
Addicted to Curry
D.N.Angel - Maybe - adventure, comedy, fantasy, mystery, romance, school life, shoujo, supernatural

Open Sesame
Gantz
Higurashi
Gundam Series
Old 2010-07-09, 03:13   Link #11
God of Peace

Many thanks to the poster, you have the same interests as me. I was kind skeptical about romance anime until I saw Suzuka, which was brilliant. I am also watching my first shoujo which is Nana, so far so good.

God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain. Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. We cannot learn without pain. Because a man of pleasure is also a man of pains.
Old 2010-07-09, 16:58   Link #12
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Hm... I am going to have to check out a shojo when I get the mojo to do so. Lol I made a rhyme--I am going to shoot myself.
Old 2010-07-09, 17:43   Link #13
MamoruUsagi

Mars
The Devil Does Exist
We Were There
Kare First Love
High School Debut
Fushigi Yugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Wild Act
Happy Hustle High
Kare Kano
Peach Girl
Paradise Kiss
Sand Chronicles
Absolute Boyfriend
Ultra Cute
Sailor Moon
B.O.D.Y.
Sensual Phrase
Missile Happy!

are the best romance manga. Yes, they are shoujo, but they are excellent and epic. Most mature romance manga are shoujo.

Mars is an amazing, epic romance manga you have to read. Kira and Rei are boyfriend and girlfriend and in a deep, intimate relationship. They are dating and living together and through their relationship they uncover dark secrets from their pasts and heal each other through their relationship while battling their emotional demons. Sex, rape, suicide, motorcycles, moving in together, this amnga has it all.

The Devil Does Exist or Akuma De Sourou is a great mature romance manga. The couple is dating, has a realsitic relationship and is serious and cimmitted. The relationship is realistic, sweet, touching and passionate. An excellent, excellent romance manga.

Fushigi Yugi is a really sweet romance/fantasy manga.

Paradise Kiss is an eccentric, mature romance.

Kare First Love has a couple in a serious, committed relationship facing realistic obstacles as they grow as a couple.

High School Debut is an awesome romance/comedy. Yoh and Haruna are dating, Yoh is a cool, experienced guy and Haruna's first boyfriend. Haruna makes a lot of relationship mistakes. A sweet and funny romance manga.

Wild Act is a great romance. Lots of kissing, sex and a sweet and enticing story.

We Were There is an amazing realistic romance manga.

Kare Kano is an angsty, popular romance.

Happy Hustle High is a sweet romance about a couple dating.

Ceres Celestial Legend is an excellent dark romance. Lots of sex in hotel rooms, lots of exciting storylines, pregnancies, death, fantasy, romance, horror, lost memories, this manga has it all.

Sailor Moon is an epic romance manga.

Missile Happy! is a sweet romance about a couple engaged and living together.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-09 at 17:54.
Old 2010-07-09, 18:44   Link #14
Patch&Quilt

NANA
Bokura Ga Ita
Old 2010-07-09, 20:26   Link #15
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
Mars
The Devil Does Exist
We Were There
Kare First Love
High School Debut
Fushigi Yugi
Ceres Celestial Legend
Wild Act
Happy Hustle High
Kare Kano
Peach Girl
Paradise Kiss
Sand Chronicles
Absolute Boyfriend
Ultra Cute
Sailor Moon
B.O.D.Y.
Sensual Phrase
Missile Happy!

are the best romance manga. Yes, they are shoujo, but they are excellent and epic. Most mature romance manga are shoujo.

Mars is an amazing, epic romance manga you have to read. Kira and Rei are boyfriend and girlfriend and in a deep, intimate relationship. They are dating and living together and through their relationship they uncover dark secrets from their pasts and heal each other through their relationship while battling their emotional demons. Sex, rape, suicide, motorcycles, moving in together, this amnga has it all.

The Devil Does Exist or Akuma De Sourou is a great mature romance manga. The couple is dating, has a realsitic relationship and is serious and cimmitted. The relationship is realistic, sweet, touching and passionate. An excellent, excellent romance manga.

Fushigi Yugi is a really sweet romance/fantasy manga.

Paradise Kiss is an eccentric, mature romance.

Kare First Love has a couple in a serious, committed relationship facing realistic obstacles as they grow as a couple.

High School Debut is an awesome romance/comedy. Yoh and Haruna are dating, Yoh is a cool, experienced guy and Haruna's first boyfriend. Haruna makes a lot of relationship mistakes. A sweet and funny romance manga.

Wild Act is a great romance. Lots of kissing, sex and a sweet and enticing story.

We Were There is an amazing realistic romance manga.

Kare Kano is an angsty, popular romance.

Happy Hustle High is a sweet romance about a couple dating.

Ceres Celestial Legend is an excellent dark romance. Lots of sex in hotel rooms, lots of exciting storylines, pregnancies, death, fantasy, romance, horror, lost memories, this manga has it all.

Sailor Moon is an epic romance manga.

Missile Happy! is a sweet romance about a couple engaged and living together.
*sees sailor moon and slits wrists*

I will read the first chapters of each of these OTHER THAN SAILOR MOON. From there I will judge if it is worthy to read...
Old 2010-07-09, 20:50   Link #16
MamoruUsagi

I know what you're thinking about sailomoon. The manga is much different from the anime. The manga is darker and more romantic and more mature, volume 1 is a little like the anime, but afterwards it's totally different. The manga takes a much darker, more mature route than the show. It's more sexual, more violent, more romantic and much darker. The anime made it for a younger audience. Like in the manga, Usagi stabs her boyfriend in order to save him, the main couple makeout in bed a lot, the whole story is mature and dark and so different from the show, but I understand what you are saying if you are aquainted with the anime version.

For particular recomendations of the mangas I mentioned you might like

Mars

The Devil Does Exist

Paradise Kiss

We Were There

Ceres Celestial Legend

Kare First Love

Kare Kano

Wild Act

Fushigi Yugi

High School Debut

Mars and The Devil Does Exist and Ceres Celestial Legend are the most mature, serious manga on the list. The relationships are realistic, deep and serious, it's not lightearted or funny, it's about deep, serious relationships.

These manga series are mature, they have sex, some of them have violence, some of them have pregnancies, some of them talk about rape and marriage and living together.

I definetely recommend you read Ceres Celestial Legend The main character is having a love affair with a guy who is working for her family who is trying to kill her because the spirit of Ceres posses her and tries to kill them. The main couple have a lot of sexual scenes and making out in bed scenes, their is a lot of death, sex, violence and dark themes. It's very mature, romantic, dark and serious.

Mars, The Devil Does Exist, Paradise Kiss, Kare Kano, Kare First Love and We Were There are mature romance manga.

Wild Act, High School Debut, Happy Hustle High and Missile Happy! are sweet and cute romance manga.

Fushigi Yugi and Ceres Celestial Legend are romance/fantasy manga.

Absolute Boyfriend is romance/comedy.

They all have couples dating in serious relationships with kissing, sex, breakups, etc.

Mars is the most mature and serious romance manga, no other manga can really compare to it because it's realistic, exciting, mature, deep, romantic and touching. Other manga pale in comparision to Mars, nothing is really as deep.
Old 2010-07-09, 22:11   Link #17
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Hm.... I am going to have to check these out but I have tired myself of manga for today and tomorrow I will be working on my novel. ^_^ I will definately check some of these out. Also the way you put sailor moon manga I think I will now check that out. I like dark things anyways.

Quote:
I definetely recommend you read Ceres Celestial Legend The main character is having a love affair with a guy who is working for her family who is trying to kill her because the spirit of Ceres posses her and tries to kill them. The main couple have a lot of sexual scenes and making out in bed scenes, their is a lot of death, sex, violence and dark themes. It's very mature, romantic, dark and serious.
Okay after reading that I cocked my head to one side and restrained myself from saying WTH <.< Hm.... *is interested*

EDIT:

I just started reading Ceres Celestial Legend and I got bored after the 4th chapter e-e And now onto the next manga. If that is how most shojo are like this (just the general feel), I am going to have a hard time reading 'em....

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-09 at 23:00.
Old 2010-07-10, 01:13   Link #18
MamoruUsagi

I prefer shoujo romance manga to shounen because the relationships actually go somewhere in shoujo series. The couples are actually dating and in relationships. They go on dates, they have sex, they have lots of kissing, they break up, they get married, they have kids. They also get together during the beginning of the series so there's no agony or waiting. In shounen, they tend to prolong things and it's more about slapstick and beating each other up rather than focusing on the relationship. Shoujo manga focuses more on the relationship between the couple and is sweet and romantic. Shounen takes too long for the relationship to happen.

Mars is a great romance manga because the relationship is relatable, realistic, deep, mature, intimate and serious. The couple is dating the entire series, they are together and in a deep relationship that is realistic. They live together, have sex, are committed to each other, share a deep connection and there is no comedy, no slapstick, no beating each other up, the series focuses on their relationship as a couple, their secret pasts, the inner demons they face and the challenges their relationship faces. It's realistic and deep.

The Devil Does Exist is also a great mature romance manga. The couple's relationship is mature and realistic, the couple is dating the entire series and there isn't any comedy or slapstick, the couple is dating and committed to each other and it's touching, sweet and heartfelt.

Fushigi Yugi is fantasy/romance and it's fun and exciting.

High School Debut, Wild Act, Kare First Love and Happy Hustle High are great romance/comedy/drama mixes. The couples are in deep, committed, steady relationships with dating, kissing, sex, break ups, drama and it's fun, romantic, entertaining.

We Were There and Paradise Kiss are great romance/drama.

Kare Kano is romance/angst, deep, dark secrets. Peach Girl is realistic romance/drama.

Ceres Celestial Legend is a great exciting series that takes time to grow. It gets really exciting but it doesn't grab you right away, it can get dark and repetetive, but it can get hot and intense and dark as well, it's different from most shoujo series.

Sand Chronicles is a good story, but the couple's relationship wasn't really as special as other manga couples.

Kare Kano has much stronger romance/angst/drama.

Kare First Love is good romance/comedy/drama. The couple is dating the entire time. There are some repetetive parts like arguing about sex, but it's realistic and sweet. There's a funny moment where the main character makes her boyfriend a Valentine's Day present where she puts condoms in his gift and she gets into a fight with him that day and gives it to her dad, forgetting what she put in it and her dad opens it up and finds the condoms and knows they are having sex. It's so cringeworthy embarrassing and amusing at the same time. The couple is also together the entire time and don't break up much.

Wild Act is a great romance, it breaks the traditional rule of manga, the couple continue dating, having sex and kissing even though their is a plot twist where they find out they might be related. In most manga the couples break up and angst about it, in Wild Act, they continue dating and having sex and kissing and ignore that plot twist, which is refreshing.

High School Debut is such a sweet and funny romance, the main couple are dating the entire time without breaking up and have a sweet and committed relationship and it's so sweet and funny.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-10 at 01:23.
Old 2010-07-10, 01:28   Link #19
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soap View Post
I just started reading Ceres Celestial Legend and I got bored after the 4th chapter e-e And now onto the next manga. If that is how most shojo are like this (just the general feel), I am going to have a hard time reading 'em....
That manga is just crap. In fact anything by that mangaka (Watase Yuu) is crap.
Old 2010-07-10, 01:59   Link #20
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Um... I will have to find somethign else.

Give me something that is best of the best. And by that I mean on par with ichigo 100% or I"S that is shojo and I will read that.

Actually I will check it out on onemanga in popularity. That usually gives me a good idea in general if it is good or not.