AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Ah! My Goddess

Notices

Old 2009-10-24, 02:31   Link #241
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scithe View Post
A!MG is one of my all time favorite shows.

However, when I started watching the new series, I could have sworn that the subtitles said something like "Oh God no!" as Belldandy's reaction to Keichi's wish. Was AnimeYuki/AnimeOne wrong on that or was Belldandy really against the idea of being trapped on earth with K1?
I wondered about that too... but she seems pretty resigned to that fact just a few seconds later.

Perhaps she was jus truly there for her 'job' and while knowing about Keiichi's character that allowed him to be granted a wish, she didn't know much about him personally. So perhaps her incredibly good natured personality makes her accept the new position she is in and over time she gets to know and like Keiichi more.
Old 2009-10-25, 06:22   Link #242
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
Was AnimeYuki/AnimeOne wrong on that or was Belldandy really against the idea of being trapped on earth with K1?
Why is that so surprising? Wouldn't you be against the idea of being trapped in an unknown place with a complete stranger for many years? TV series has no connection with the older OVA series, Bell actually saw K1 for the first time, they've never met in childhood.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-25, 22:04   Link #243
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
I wondered about that too... but she seems pretty resigned to that fact just a few seconds later.

Perhaps she was jus truly there for her 'job' and while knowing about Keiichi's character that allowed him to be granted a wish, she didn't know much about him personally. So perhaps her incredibly good natured personality makes her accept the new position she is in and over time she gets to know and like Keiichi more.
the second paragraph is why EVERYONE loves Bell. i'm still hoping there'll be a season three soon, since the manga has a lot of material uncovered by the first two seasons. and speaking of the manga, i need to pick up the new volume..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-26, 01:38   Link #244
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

You could probably put it down to the shock of the moment just throwing her off.

She is kind of hard to read as a person since she is *always* shown as cheerful, helpful and accepting. But you could draw the conclusion that her views on Keiichi changed over time with the moments where jealousy starts to show through in her personality. Though I doubt that's the case (her changing over time) as it doesn't really fit with the intent of the story and her own internal monologue (barely a couple episodes/chapters in).

To be honest she's kinda scary! There is a few times where you could swear she's furious or something, I dunno theres a few scenes when she's closing a door and shes shown with this look on her face which makes the whole scene kinda scary. All she needs is a knife and you'd think you've wandered into the complete wrong genre.
Old 2009-10-26, 01:48   Link #245
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Yea, Belldandy can become quite serious at times.

But you sure know you fail if Belldandy can get mad with you... like that scene were Aoshima gets told to leave. :P
Old 2009-10-26, 23:43   Link #246
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
have to agree its is quite a massive fail to make a goddess angry at you. but ive always thought Belldanady got mad a majority of the time due to the circumstances between her and Keichi (there were also some other ones as well. another reason i thought was that Belldandy after being a Goddess for so long and not feeling emotional attachments to anyone but her sisters is all of a sudden she is put in this new environment and start experiencing all these new things and emotions and she gets frustrated at times because she isnt sure how to deal with them all. especially when situations involve K1 and other women.
Old 2009-11-02, 01:32   Link #247
DeMikeDe

I hadn't seen 'ah my goddess' in a long time, but knew they are available on DVDs in the USA (where I'm from). Something about having an imaginary girlfriend who's an angelic guardian, which can only mean a man like me has issues (LoL). Wow...this is a 4-year old thread, in fact I can't imagine this site has been around for 5 or 6 years (what's the secret to longevity?)
DeMikeDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-13, 06:21   Link #248
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Was watching the series again for something to do, and one thing they did get right was the music. Intro songs were pretty good, although I liked the second season one better then the first. The stuff near the end of the first season (Lord of Terror) is quite awesome for battle music.

Speaking of the LoT. There was a part with Keichi when Keichi was first infected with the LoT, he pulls a face that's like raep-face-of-evil was quite amusing, I had to watching it couple times because its so out of character (Keichi as LoT in general is pretty damn hilarious in general "All right its time to start cutting, Demon World here we come!").
Old 2009-11-29, 14:24   Link #249
Scithe
Otaku Extraordinaire

Quote:

Well either that...or the wish kicked in and the greater forces changed Belldandy into being ok with the idea. Which then makes you wonder if she really loves K1 or if she's not just under the power of the wish.

That sounds blasphemous to even think, so I'll just stick to translation error.
Scithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 20:08   Link #250
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scithe View Post
Well either that...or the wish kicked in and the greater forces changed Belldandy into being ok with the idea. Which then makes you wonder if she really loves K1 or if she's not just under the power of the wish.

That sounds blasphemous to even think, so I'll just stick to translation error.
Hmm, well there's the episode where the force seems to 'weaken', doesn't seem to affect Belldandy much... so yeah, it's probably just a misunderstanding in her words.

Actually, she might have realized at that moment that binding a goddess to earth would affect the happy/unhappy status quo and cause more demons to appear or something.

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2009-12-05 at 14:18.
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 12:14   Link #251
zezo

شكرا جزيلا لك
zezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 14:05   Link #252
The Master
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Actually, she might have realized at that moment that binding a goddess to earth would affect the happy/unhappy status quo and cause more demons to appear or something.
I think thats why Mara is brought into it to balance the happy/unhappy status que. Then hild later when more goddesses arrive. Interesting point though, in the anime is it the system force which makes belldandy happy with the idea of staying.... I believe belldandy stays out of choice.
Old 2011-02-14, 16:48   Link #253
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

NOTICE
This review covers all seasons OVAs and movies. There are hardly any differences amongst them, so more reviews about them are unnecessary.

PROLOGUE
This is the title that initiated the Magical Girlfriend subgenre of harems and ecchies and it’s also amongst the oldest harems yet still published manga series (it’s been around since 1988). They made a short OVA series and a movie in mid-90’s and then a 2-season remake and 3 following OVAs in mid-00’s. Funny thing; it is still amongst the best in the field.

STORY SECTION: 5/10 [Feels almost like a hentai]
General Scenario 1/2
Pacing 1/2
Side Stories 2/2
Believability/Reasoning/Realism 1/2
Conclusion 0/2

The story is about a teenage dork dialing the wrong number and ends up living with a beautiful goddess, ready to fulfil his wishes, of which his is to stay with him forever (wish fulfilment). Soon afterwards her also godly sisters pop up (harem creation) and his life becomes complicating as he is constantly surrounded by supernatural hot chicks and had to keep using his talents to save the world from cosmic horrors (action) without messing his tiny personal life (comedy). The story is one big pile of comedy, romance, drama, that also blends mythology with science fiction. The core premise is always about Keichi and Belldandy being in love and staying true to each other, even when the cosmic forces conspire against them.

The whole “Sudden Girlfriend Appearance” never made much sense and a “Magical Girlfriend” one makes even less. The whole deal is quite unrealistic. Beautiful goddesses, living in your apartment and helping you solve your problems with epic-level magic? That is something that happens only in anime. Plus, only living with them but never go beyond peeking and hugging is something that all men should loathe worldwide.

But let’s not forget it was amongst the first to set the stage as such and it was everybody else that copied this now tired formula. I hold nothing against its premise as it was quite original and interesting back then. Also, judging it as a fictional story it is far-far better than most similar series as it leaves room for infinite possibilities. Unlike most harems that are hardly trying to flesh out their characters or provide internal logic to all the madness in the story, AMG is actually trying its best to make everything seem logical and excused. The girls are all there for a reason, react somewhat logical with the restrictions of the premise, have powers that are somewhat excused through science and every event has technology and mythology to back it up.

Also, the story never forgets to still be easy-going and funny, where nothing major or deadly ever happens; so all “fake-looking” or “nerdy” situations in it are easily ignored. Realism aside, it is good and cheery, without being great. Some parts are definitely more exciting or funny than others and most of the duration may feel as dead time but it is still overall quite enjoyable.

A big flaw for some is that there is no actual scenario development, other than introducing more secondary characters and ephemeral threats every now and then. But if stand-alone episodes and stale stories don’t bother you, this is not a problem anymore. Other than that, there is no actual objective or even a conclusion, no matter how many mangas or episodes or OVAs or movies come out. It just goes on and on indefinately.

CHARACTER SECTION: 6/10 [Sultan’s favorite place]
Presence 2/2
Personality 2/2
Backdrop 2/2
Development 0/2
Catharsis 0/2

I admit that Belldandy is amongst my favorite anime girls. Too gentle and good to be true, but then again she is a goddess and that is enough of an excuse. Her sisters Urd and Skuld are also very interesting. Few series manage to present so many diverse and yet likable characters. I can say it is the combination of great visuals, etherial music and unearthly nature that makes them feel far better than the average harem bimbo out there.

But Keichi is was and still is a typical male dork that is swarmed by beautiful girls without being anything special. Oh, sure, he is gentle, kind, good-hearted and the like; but let’s face it, girls don’t really notice such things. We can always justify it with the fact that Belldandy is a goddess that can see people for what they really are. But since I am not a god, I say he is a sissy for feeling embarrassed every time he has the chance to make some lovey-dovey. He and all other males like him in most harem anime are despicable! They give the male gender a bad name, he is the driest and worst character amongst the cast. But if I am to give him a few redeeming qualities, I can say he is actually using his brain from time to time to solve some problems and even finds the courage to fight for his harem. Too bad is isn’t bold enough to do anything other than that.

Other than that, all characters have quirks, backdrop stories and goals that go beyond their stereotypes as sex-bombs, edgy lolitas and shy male virgins. The secondary characters are all very likable and give enough coloring to main ones. None of them were bad or unneeded in the story. I can’t say the same about Keichi (and to think he is supposed to be the protagonist!).

None develops or finds any sort of catharsis because of the short-arced type of series, which may become tiresome after awhile. Meaning, the characters are colored but are not developing at all. Keichi and Belldandy come a bit closer in the end but it’s nothing much.

ART SECTION: 9/10 [Magical technology]
General Artwork 2/2
Character Figures 2/2
Backgrounds 2/2
Animation 1/2
Visual Effects 2/2

The animation is great if you compare it with other similar series.

-All Slice-Of-Life series don’t use flashy visual effects (they don’t fit there). So, the graphics here are catchier, by default.
-Most romances hardly have so heart-warming atmosphere and adorable character figures.
-Most Magical Girl series don’t have so well made (or serious looking, if you prefer) visual effects.
-Almost all comedies don’t have so detailed character figures. They are usually simplistic and go chibi all the time.
-Most Harem/Ecchi series turn their female characters into obnoxious, panties-revealing sluts. The girls here retain an air of purity and gentleness. The naughty scenes are few but worthwhile, as the focus in the series is not waiting to see boobs every 10 seconds (like it happens in most).

So, ok, they are not Clannad good and not Howl’s Moving Castle good; the animation is bad most of the times. Still, they visually beat in background detailing, body figure drawing and 3D modeling almost all series that are 2 years and older than it.

SOUND SECTION: 9/10 [Angelic chorus’ singing]
Voice Acting 3/3
Music Themes 4/4
Sound Effects 2/3

Music themes and voice acting are very good. The women voicing the goddesses are also the singers in the songs (a thing that was kept intact in the remake as well). Very likable voices and backdrop music that fill your heart with happiness. Even the funky sound effects during the action parts feel cool as they are usually attributed to technology or mythology.

VALUE SECTION: 8/10 [A light that shines your heart]
Historical Value 3/3
Rewatchability 2/3
Memorability 3/4

Ah! My Goddess helped to mainstream Harem and Magical Girlfriend stereotypes and thus deserves a good mark just for that. The manga is still far better than the watered-down adaptation; longer and with bolder erotism.

Rewatchability is high. It is comical and heart-warming enough to deserve a second watch. But you will most likely skip some not-so great part. Although not original or unique anymore, it is still amongst the best of its genre.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 5/10 [Like a sunny day, it is enjoyable but also rather passable]
Some problems ruined a portion of the enjoyment.

-The relationship between Keichi and Beldandy never goes beyond hugging, making the whole deal stale and without further development. The story itself has no development, other than introducing more secondary characters every now and then.
-There is a lot of character coloring as the series progress but very little character development. You get to know more about them but don’t see them change at all.
-There are lots of uninteresting episodes, where the goddesses and/or demons rival each other, just for laughs.
-There is no conclusion (not even the manga has one, as of yet).

The rest of it was quite decent and a worthy watch.

VERDICT: 7/10
A great piece of work in its kind that is bogged down by its stale and aimless storytelling.

SUGGESTION LIST

Read the manga version. It is far longer and better.
Love Hina (good) is the most renowned Harem anime. And the voice actors in it also sing the songs as well.
Club to Death Angel Dokuro-chan (good) is a black humored parody of the Magical Girlfriend genre. It also has flashy costumes in it.
Can Can Bunny Extra (good) is a Hentai tribute to this title.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:17   Link #254
FlyingFringe

Romantic situation comedy

Roriconfan, this is a romantic situation comedy, not a harem show. The sisters are there as comedy foils, not for their own romantic involvement...and Skuld isn't too glad about Belldandy's involvement either.
FlyingFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:29   Link #255
GreatTeacherKen

^^
I agree. Despite the setup being similar to a harem series, I wouldn't call it one since most of the women don't have romantic attachments to Keiichi.

I'd say Tenchi Muyo! is the series that defined the harem genre as we know it.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 13:41   Link #256
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
The difference is too opaque for me to notice. In the manga he gets to grope or see half naked a ton of girls even if Belldandy is the One.

Same thing happens in Love Hina and I don't see many calling that a romantic comedy and not harem.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-16, 14:10   Link #257
GreatTeacherKen

Yeah, but the women for the most part don't really compete for Keiichi's affections which is one of the defining elements of a harem series. Tenchi Muyo!, Love Hina, etc. definitely have this. Not to mention, groping and seeing half naked women can happen in non-harem series.

That being said, I think it's possible Ah! My Goddess might have influenced some harem series creators, but I wouldn't call the series itself a harem.

You could say a harem series is a specific subgenre of romance, kind of like how cyberpunk is a specific kind of sci fi. Love Hina definitely is a romantic comedy and a harem series.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote