AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-13, 10:22   Link #301
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
A question you should all be asking: Given that it seems the Nyarlathotep are a species rather than just Nyaruko, do they procreate by having separate genders, or are they androgynous? It'll most likely answer your questions (if an answer can be found).
is it from the LN or just the flash series? if it was just the flash series then i don't think it canon and there were just one nyaruko in this Anime OP. and even if there were 2 nyarlathotep in the LN, i read somewhere that Nyarlathotep can have more than 1 avatar on the earth at once so Nyarlathotep maybe just split in 2 to troll Mahiro.
Old 2012-04-13, 10:23   Link #302
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
It seems like Japan prefers Nyarlathotep appear as female despite he/she can take any form and gender. A previous version of Nyarlathotep which initially depicted the outer god as female was Nya in the VN and anime Demonbane. I suppose it's an excuse to make him/her appealing in the anime medium. Of course it doesn't change the fact that Nyarlathotep's true form is a grotesque eldricht abomination.
Actually, IIRC, we don't even know if Nyarlathotep have a true form or not
Old 2012-04-13, 10:30   Link #303
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Anyone that has seen Like the Clouds, Like the Wind will remember the answer, after much debate the conclusion was that a female is one individual able to have offspring and since Nyaruko-san has already offered to have Mahiro's progeny, the answer is that indeed she is a girl, even if she can tentale rape Mahiro >_<
so you think that something that have an Eldritch Abomination form like this can have offspring?
Old 2012-04-13, 10:37   Link #304
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
so you think that something that have an Eldritch Abomination form like this can have offspring?
Saya begs to differ.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 11:02   Link #305
Random Wanderer

Quote:
is it from the LN or just the flash series? if it was just the flash series then i don't think it canon and there were just one nyaruko in this Anime OP. and even if there were 2 nyarlathotep in the LN, i read somewhere that Nyarlathotep can have more than 1 avatar on the earth at once so Nyarlathotep maybe just split in 2 to troll Mahiro.
She identified herself as a Nyarlathotepian. The Japanese used when she said that, while I cannot spell it for certain, matches the meaning of her being a member of the Nyarlathotep species, or from the Nyarlathotep planet. She could be lying, but it seems unlikely given the nature of this series. This is a comedy, people, not a diabolical plot by the outer gods. Nyaruko is an alien. She works in the planetary defense organization. She went to space-kindergarten with Kuuko. She's on Earth to stop illegal activities of various sorts by other aliens who were also written about by Lovecraft. These things are all true because it's funnier that way. Stop taking things so serious.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 11:16   Link #306
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
She identified herself as a Nyarlathotepian. The Japanese used when she said that, while I cannot spell it for certain, matches the meaning of her being a member of the Nyarlathotep species, or from the Nyarlathotep planet.
ニャルラトホテプ人

Here's one way to look at this: Everything that Lovecraft wrote was based on his experience with the aliens, with things being condensed to singular gods rather than a species (could be because he only met one examples). That could probably explain a few things.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 11:44   Link #307
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Not to mention that Lovecraft himself was pretty much a shut-in who showed contempt and repressed disgust for the unknown, kind of like an angry passive-agressive nerd who would not be out of place in 4chan's /b/. Yes, his litterary contribution is awesome for pop culture, but he is really not the kind of guy you'd like to meet irl if you are not a W.A.S.P and bourgeois.

i.e: he described black people, polish and italians in less than flattering terms. It's easier to guess how he would with aliens.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:10   Link #308
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

As I stated before, Rie Kugimiya (Hasta's VA) rarely voice male characters. Because she's always typecasted as either tsundere, loli or combination of both elements, I also remember she voiced the sole and only reverse trap she gets : it's Kaoru from Ladies Versus Butlers. Also, ultra-feminine guys (excluding MC) voiced by females like Hasta who appears in romcoms like this are hard to identify which his/her gender is.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 12:12   Link #309
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Anything Yog Sothoth can do, Nyarlathotep can do better.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 12:17   Link #310
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Not to mention that Lovecraft himself was pretty much a shut-in who showed contempt and repressed disgust for the unknown, kind of like an angry passive-agressive nerd who would not be out of place in 4chan's /b/. Yes, his litterary contribution is awesome for pop culture, but he is really not the kind of guy you'd like to meet irl if you are not a W.A.S.P and bourgeois.

i.e: he described black people, polish and italians in less than flattering terms. It's easier to guess how he would with aliens.
Strangely, though, he really liked the Japanese.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 12:28   Link #311
Midonin
Last Engage

The title really speaks for itself here.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 12:31   Link #312
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Strangely, though, he really liked the Japanese.
I guess that the Japanese of that time period matched his idealized view of gentlemen. Even for a xenophobic, he had quite the standards, since he disapproved Hitler and his clique.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 12:34   Link #313
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Nyar-ko is a Outer god not a Elder God. Different group, lots of bad blood. Something to do with a lawnmower.
I guess you can tell that I don't know much about the Cthulu Mythos although this series does make me want to learn more about it. Wonder if it will have a similar effect to Saki having people want to learn how to play mahjogg, but in this case, it would have people want to read Lovecraft and the other authors that added to the Cthulu Mythos.

I was going for a play on the English translation of OreImo so while technically wrong about Nyarlathotep, it could be correct about the other Cthulu deities featured in the series. Was Cthuga an Elder God or an Outer God?
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 12:48   Link #314
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

It's a Great Old One, like Cthulhu and He Who Must Not Named. Wikisource have a sizable number of Lovecraft stories you can read for free. Otherwise, you can give a try to the Call of Cthulhu boardgame by Chaosium. You need friends and time for that, tho. If you don't mind vintage games, you can try Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice. More recent is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
Old 2012-04-13, 12:50   Link #315
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I guess you can tell that I don't know much about the Cthulu Mythos although this series does make me want to learn more about it. Wonder if it will have a similar effect to Saki having people want to learn how to play mahjogg, but in this case, it would have people want to read Lovecraft and the other authors that added to the Cthulu Mythos.

I was going for a play on the English translation of OreImo so while technically wrong about Nyarlathotep, it could be correct about the other Cthulu deities featured in the series. Was Cthuga an Elder God or an Outer God?
Cthuga is a Great Old One

Just go with Eldritch Abomination as a common description for all of them.
Old 2012-04-13, 14:07   Link #316
Sumeragi
Banned

About the speculations on the gender of Hasuta (Hastur): Look at the school uniform. It's rare for a school to allow cross-dressing unless you happen to be Yukimura from Haganai (gender confusion) or Yui from TWGOK (have the backing of a prestigious family AND the school being a private school).
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 14:12   Link #317
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It's a Great Old One, like Cthulhu and He Who Must Not Named. Wikisource have a sizable number of Lovecraft stories you can read for free. Otherwise, you can give a try to the Call of Cthulhu boardgame by Chaosium. You need friends and time for that, tho. If you don't mind vintage games, you can try Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice. More recent is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
Just remember the rules of Call of Cthulhu:

-Low Idea, High Speed stat
-Avoid the magic items
-Try to avoid combat
-Don't read anything
-Stay in the middle of the group
-Don't look straight ahead
-Have a cyanide pill ready

Just remember that 9/10 times the game will end with everyone in the group dead, gone insane, or devoured. Sometimes all three.
Old 2012-04-13, 14:13   Link #318
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
About the speculations on the gender of Hasuta (Hastur): Look at the school uniform. It's rare for a school to allow cross-dressing unless you happen to be Yukimura from Haganai (gender confusion) or Yui from TWGOK (have the backing of a prestigious family AND the school being a private school).
I already looking at Hasta's uniform, but when watching the swimsuit part of the ending theme, I feel like he/she is hiding his/her breasts with his/her waistcoast. First time I saw this kind is in Mayo Chiki!.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-04-13, 15:08   Link #319
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
She's on Earth to stop illegal activities of various sorts (and commit herself an undisclosed amount of illegal activities) by other aliens
There, corrected for completeness
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-13, 15:20   Link #320
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

When watching the first episode, Mahiro always use a fork whenever Nyaruko do something indecent (like kissing), it became a running gag for the whole series. I can understand it's a boy who loves hitting the girl he loves, but why he always use that fork ?
MyAnimeList

Tags
comedy, light novel adaptation, loli, parody, romance, seinen, shounen, trap