AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-12-13, 22:56   Link #81
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Well I have no intention to get GTA 5. Never been a fan. However I fully expect to see it sell millions in the first week. The Last of Us will suffer if they are too close and I don't want that.
Made by the same people who did Uncharted, i wouldn't worry too much about them. They have plenty of followings just based on their previous titles let alone the interest they generated so far. And also isn't this another PS3 exclusive? That alone probably limits the amount of copies they would sell in the first place.
Old 2012-12-14, 13:55   Link #82
Zexas

The Last of Us: New Survivor Tess’ Background, Details

Quote:
Strong, smart, and street savvy, Tess is a pivotal character in the world of The Last of Us. Tess is voiced and played by Annie Wersching. You might recognize Annie’s voice from her work on the hit TV series, 24. For our in-game cinematics Annie’s performance of Tess involved many long, intense hours on our mocap stage. To see how Annie’s performance was captured and certain scenes from it were put it into our Story Trailer check out this process video:
Old 2012-12-14, 14:04   Link #83
Destined_Fate

Seems that there's been a on of push in the gaming market to portray women as just as tough, smart, and capable as men. I approve, diversity is what keeps things fresh and interesting.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 04:03   Link #84
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Now all we need is a damsel in distress or a usless guy in the game and we're all set.
Old 2012-12-18, 07:56   Link #85
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Why we need those relics?
Old 2012-12-18, 09:09   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Seems that there's been a on of push in the gaming market to portray women as just as tough, smart, and capable as men. I approve, diversity is what keeps things fresh and interesting.
How about 4 or 5 capable women and one useless guy? Wait, that sounds familiar ...
Old 2012-12-20, 00:11   Link #87
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
I guess this is to appeal to the growing female demographics of gaming market. We'll probably see more games that appeal to both gender as gaming become more mainstream. Plus there's a lot more women in gaming industry than before so wouldn't be surprised the writing and premise of games deviate from the traditional "heroic guy saves damsel in distress" type.
Old 2012-12-20, 00:28   Link #88
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I really hate useless or weak guy and the girl saves him alot. Glad here the story seems the girls are very capable and adaptable in dire situations. Gonna pre-order mine.
Old 2012-12-20, 15:47   Link #89
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

I hope this trend is a response to the misogynism that Metroid: Other M was so proud of.
Old 2012-12-20, 16:28   Link #90
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
u kills hope this trend is a response to the misogynism that Metroid: Other M was so proud of.
You mean that all women are obsessed with being a mother and wear high heels? Gea never give team ninja your female protags. They gave samus's zero suit (not needed entirely) High Heels... it didn't have high heels before.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2012-12-20 at 16:44.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 17:06   Link #91
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
You mean that all women are obsessed with being a mother and wear high heels? Gea never give team ninja your female protags. They gave samus's zero suit (not needed entirely) High Heels... it didn't have high heels before.
Talking about her upgraded Zero suit, I didn't notice the high heels, I'll have to look again.

Story wise Samus I personally thought she was just fine in Other M....Just because they decided to have her display a personality and emotion and how she behaves WASN'T what you would expect or hope for doesn't make her bad.

The big offense to many was how she reacted to being reunited with Ridley, and I don't care who you are if you're face to face with someone that caused such a huge traumatic event in your life and when you thought you were finally able to put that behind you with his death at your hands, and then you're suddenly thrown in a situation when the source of your traumatic event is alive and well, YOU'RE STILL GONNA FREEZE UP IN DISBELIEF AND FEAR. I mean god forbid she shows vulnerability despite her reputation.

P.S. I'm down with girls being just as capable of guys in video games.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-20, 17:12   Link #92
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

No, After beating him several time's she shouldn't be SO scared she pretty much pisses her self. That scene pissed me off beyond believe. Last Metroid he was in did she freeze up and get her ass handed to her because of it? NO

Off topic, nevermind this. Ellie looks like she will grow up to kick alien ass. (Riply lol)
She how ever does not deserve a spot in Super smash playstation nore does the main male protag (I keep forgetting his name)
Old 2012-12-20, 17:39   Link #93
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
No, After beating him several time's she shouldn't be SO scared she pretty much pisses her self. That scene pissed me off beyond believe. Last Metroid he was in did she freeze up and get her ass handed to her because of it? NO
Sorry but defeating a powerful opponent constantly that can't seem to stay dead long enough to give you peace of mind doesn't completely erase the fear and traumatic event, I can understand if Ridley was 100% a push over all the time but he Ridley was anything but, plus she would never if perhaps Ridley might end up someday gaining the upper hand in the future and that fear itself would add to her original fear.

The thing is you can't bring up the previous Nintendo or SNES games because Samus much like other silent protagonists like Link, and Mario WAS YOU the player 100% once you give your previous silent characters personalities and emotions and bring that out in the story then you are being shown what the character is like. She didn't freeze up because back at the time she was just a character you play with no emotion or personality with the exception of the opening prologue where she describes what's happened up until the beginning of the game. But once they decided to go more into detail with the story and Samus's character in the games THEN you can see subtle signs.

Hell in Metroid Prime you can almost see the look of uneasiness in her eyes when she first ran across Ridley on the first stage, and in Metroid Prime 3 she froze up JUST enough to go for a ride with Ridley.

All Other M did was prove that once you give a silent character a personality or have them show emotions it carries a huge risk of people NOT liking the way they are portrayed if they're not behaving the way THEY would expect them to. Most people wanted her to be a tough bad ass female version of Master Chief for gods sake...

I'm sure you can agree on this, She ended up getting her composure back and ended up destroying that fake ridley in the end though didn't she?
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment

Last edited by DingoEnderZOE2; 2012-12-20 at 17:49.
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 16:39   Link #94
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox
You mean that all women are obsessed with being a mother and wear high heels?
Women being baby machines and not being able to do anything if there isn't a strong man around to guide them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2
Story wise Samus I personally thought she was just fine in Other M....Just because they decided to have her display a personality and emotion and how she behaves WASN'T what you would expect or hope for doesn't make her bad.
Samus having a personality and emotions isn't the problem. It's how she's shown to defer to other people's opinions and doesn't try to make her own decisions.

The best example of this is the "hell run". Samus is sustaining damage due to high heat, but she won't enable her Varia Suit until Adam says so. Yes, she's under Adam's command, but as any military soldier will tell you, you must still be capable of using your own judgment when the situation requires it. You're not supposed to follow orders like a mindless drone.
Quote:
you're suddenly thrown in a situation when the source of your traumatic event is alive and well, YOU'RE STILL GONNA FREEZE UP IN DISBELIEF AND FEAR. I mean god forbid she shows vulnerability despite her reputation.
The problem is that she goes as far as to sulk like a little child, lowering her guard completely until someone's sacrifice snaps her out of it. This is much different than being surprised.

Furthermore, she killed the beast four times already without breaking down like that. Not only does it discredit this happening in Metroid: Other M, Ridley being revived is no longer surprising.
Quote:
All Other M did was prove that once you give a silent character a personality or have them show emotions it carries a huge risk of people NOT liking the way they are portrayed if they're not behaving the way THEY would expect them to. Most people wanted her to be a tough bad ass female version of Master Chief for gods sake...
No, Metroid: Other M proved that Sakamoto is a huge misogynist. The fact that Samus used to be a silent protagonist doesn't cut it as an explanation, because actions also define a character. This makes Other M's portrayal inconsistent with the other games.

I urge you to read MenTaLguY: Metroid: Other M - The Elephant in the Room.
Old 2013-01-23, 04:40   Link #96
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

OMG! Sweet!

Man I need to reset my pre-order to Joel and Ellie edition
Old 2013-02-04, 03:45   Link #97
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

New demo played and interviews

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/02/0...hts-and-sounds
Old 2013-02-04, 08:42   Link #99
defki

Naughty Gods? Naughty Gods.

Holy fuck at this game. Seriously this game has the potential to become the RE 4 of this generation.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-04, 18:43   Link #100
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

So instead of zombies we got mutant fungus plant people. That's a down part on my side, but the core gameplay seems deep and extensive ranging from strategy and weapons, I'm all for the human enemies, but mutant ones, been with RE too much to like 'em, but still this game is looking better as we see now the controls.