2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-12, 21:32   Link #61
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
Actually Irina did/does. Xenovia was Protestant while Irina was Catholic, so she was informed probably off screen so that they handed their reports separately to their higher ups.

It was mention in the Novel, that while Xenovia lost faith, Irina kept hers, or rather, Xenovia couldn't keep her trap shut, and Irina stayed a good little girl.

Which led to Xenovia escaping for her proverbial life to the Gremory. And we deduce how Irina got in with Michael.

The anime does cut off a lot of stuff, that make everything fit better, but then 2 novels per season is already quite a lot already.
I haven't read the novels, but I got the impression from Xenovia that she was more loyal to the religion and organization than God himself. When she discovered that God was no more and her religion and organization were shams (in the sense that it wasn't as "holy and righteous" as it claimed to be), there was no reason to stick around. Besides, she found kindred spirits in Rias group and no one else would take a "traitor". Like Asia, she's still got a bit of her past religious self, but she fits right in with the demons.

Irina seemed more devoted to God, or at least her ideal image of God, than the religion or organization itself. In fact it seemed creepily sexual, if that makes any sense. I'm really not sure what to make of her character to be honest, but she seems like one of those "destined to fall" characters who become more warped as they gain power.
Old 2013-09-12, 21:37   Link #62
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I haven't read the novels, but I got the impression from Xenovia that she was more loyal to the religion and organization than God himself. When she discovered that God was no more and her religion and organization were shams (in the sense that it wasn't as "holy and righteous" as it claimed to be), there was no reason to stick around. Besides, she found kindred spirits in Rias group and no one else would take a "traitor". Like Asia, she's still got a bit of her past religious self, but she fits right in with the demons.

Irina seemed more devoted to God, or at least her ideal image of God, than the religion or organization itself. In fact it seemed creepily sexual, if that makes any sense. I'm really not sure what to make of her character to be honest, but she seems like one of those "destined to fall" characters who become more warped as they gain power.
I thought Xenovia got exiled because of just the fact that she knew. Sounded like the Church "exiled" anyone who knows that God is dead because of fears that they will spread it or something.

They exiled her and refused to even talk to her just like Asia when she healed a devil. I don't think she left solely because as you said she felt it was a sham. She would have probably left on her own anyway, or sooner or later, but she was FORCED out, if I recall correctly like Asia was.

The only reason Irina wasn't exiled as well was because she was unconcious when it was revealed that God is dead and thus she doesn't know.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 21:44   Link #63
kukuru

There are several people in the church that knew god was dead. It's not like Xenovia/Irina was that special.

It's just that Xenovia couldn't keep her feelings to herself. She lost faith and was alienated.

Beyond that much of it was inferred, as it was never discussed in the novel. It's all water under the bridge.

And it's also somewhat spoilerish but...let's just say Rias can be very convincing in her offers.

And finally...why Xenovia? She's an idiot.

You really can't tell when you first meet Xenovia, or for that matter Irina...but Xenovia is a true idiot worthy of the Gremory group. (of course if the whole sex ed wasn't enough to convince you yet, there will be more)
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 21:48   Link #64
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

You're right. I should have clarified that I was musing more about their personalities than about their knowledge of God's status. I'm just not sure Gods life/death status would change Irina much like it did Xenovia, exile aside. The levels of devotion just seem very different between the two.
Old 2013-09-13, 01:18   Link #65
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Wasn't Irina the one who couldn't shut up about God this and God that?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 01:24   Link #66
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You're right. I should have clarified that I was musing more about their personalities than about their knowledge of God's status. I'm just not sure Gods life/death status would change Irina much like it did Xenovia, exile aside. The levels of devotion just seem very different between the two.
Maybe shes worshiping Michael now.... Nothing bad to have a Bishounen to be your god.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 01:27   Link #67
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Irina's expression of her reverence for God and Heaven did border on sexual desire in its depiction...
Old 2013-09-13, 07:04   Link #68
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I sort of kinda understand that. Celibacy is hard.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 12:45   Link #69
shalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
Maybe shes worshiping Michael now.... Nothing bad to have a Bishounen to be your god.
Michael to me is no way near as a bishounen character. He had potential at first but then the blinding light went away and his boy looks and weird body was revealed.
shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 17:32   Link #70
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Irina's expression of her reverence for God and Heaven did border on sexual desire in its depiction...
You have no idea...

If we ever get a 3rd season, I really hope they put effort into the Church Trio, it's hilariously.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 20:09   Link #71
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Wasn't Irina the one who couldn't shut up about God this and God that?
Both Irina and Xenovia couldn't.
Irina even went so far to buy a picture of a saint which was actually a figure only consisting out of lines and a head, resulting in irina and Xenovia both calling each other 'Heretic for some time until they got disturbed.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 20:41   Link #72
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Irina even went so far to buy a picture of a saint which was actually a figure only consisting out of lines and a head, resulting in irina and Xenovia both calling each other 'Heretic for some time until they got disturbed.
Been a while since I read it, but I didn't think it was that bad. I thought it was an actual picture, but just of some random guy and the seller told her it was a Saint?
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote