AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Gundam 00 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 127 31.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 152 37.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 65 16.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 8.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.25%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-09-20, 13:32   Link #201
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
IMO, I thought that after CB last stand, Setsuna and Tieria appeared far more skilled than both Allelujah and Lockon.
I always felt lockon and setsuna were the most skilled. Tieria freezes up and gets caught too many times. Setsuna always managed to pull up the upset that no one expects. Lockon has always managed to stay on top with the exception of when he had his injury, which was caused by Tieria's freezing.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 18:44   Link #202
RAVNEN

Send a message via Yahoo to RAVNEN
I feel the same too.I like a scene when Lockon face Graham Aker ,where he block Graham attack with beam saber then switch to beam pistol.That was flawless and Setsuna fight scene with the golden ms make me watch it over & over again.
RAVNEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-20, 21:21   Link #203
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I think Setsuna, Lockon and Allelujah/Hallelujah merged are pretty close in term of skill, they all managed to pull off quite impressive moves sometimes (Setsuna in the final episode, Lockon when fighting Ali, and Doublelujah against Soman and Sergei).

I'm certain that Tieria is the weakest. His style is just stand there and blasts things. I guess piloting a heavy armed MS will make you lazy
Old 2008-09-21, 04:40   Link #204
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
Do you think Soma is a better pilot than Sergei?
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-21, 05:11   Link #205
RAVNEN

It is up to the pilot skill or prowess and experience .For example Graham Aker with his Flag vs Exia,he totally rely on his skill and expirience.
Old 2008-09-21, 14:48   Link #206
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningZERO View Post
I think Setsuna, Lockon and Allelujah/Hallelujah merged are pretty close in term of skill, they all managed to pull off quite impressive moves sometimes (Setsuna in the final episode, Lockon when fighting Ali, and Doublelujah against Soman and Sergei).

I'm certain that Tieria is the weakest. His style is just stand there and blasts things. I guess piloting a heavy armed MS will make you lazy
IMO, all of the Meister's managed to put a decent fight against the Earth forces, so I think that they all are on the same level of skill.

Setsuna managed to beat Alejandro's MA & MS, and then tied with the Unions ace, Graham. Having survived 3 finale bosses, Setsuna proved himself.

Lockon managed to destroy a couple of GNX's and take down 2 battle ships down & fought with Ali on equal ground, with one eye. That being said, he went completely ballistic while fighting him to the point where he didn't activate the TRANS-AM, which would have granted death for Ali. Had he not allowed his emotions to control him, he might have been able to stay alive.

Allelujah being a natural born Super-soldier, and he managed to fight off the Russian Bear and our young Panda at the same time. Although, he got too cocky and forgot about Sergei and that lead to his defeat.

Now Tieria never had to fight much due to Virtue's nature, but he did managed to defeat 6 GNX's in a row with Nadleeh, which is more than any of the other Meister's managed to pull (as in the number of GNX they destroyed in one go). Tieria is good at close combat; he just seems to be better at (or prefers) long range combat.
Old 2008-09-23, 16:54   Link #207
Zeta Gundam

That's the nature of the beast with piloting Virtue, so don't discredit Tieria to whoever said he wasn't that good of a pilot.

It takes skill to pilot it, especially since its slow as hell, and after the initial WTF factor of its rifle shots, if you are halfway competent they are fairly easy to dodge.

It's not like he can do much else, but sit there and spam Virtue's powerful attacks. His main role really wasn't even heavy artillery, but to be a watchdog and make sure none of the other Gundam pilots thought of betraying Celestial Being.

Not even necessarily betray Celestial Being, but to make sure the Gundams didn't fall in anybody else's hands, but Celestial Beings.
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-23, 22:28   Link #208
RAVNEN

I agree, Tieria is a kind of watchdog for CB.He help Setsuna take on the Trinity sibling although he don't like Setsuna. I think he can't afford to let CB gundam get destroyed or maybe he sees Trinity a threat to his mission.

He's even utilize some formation with Setsuna during that fight which suprise his teammember.
Old 2008-09-26, 00:34   Link #209
Cherudim Arche

That means the relation they have isn't as bad as both of them think, yet rather deciding on their justification.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-28, 06:01   Link #210
Carlos45

Is gundam any good?
Carlos45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-29, 00:36   Link #211
Mangaka-chan

You mean Gundam 00 specifically? IMO, yes it is. It incorporates a lot of real world issue we see today and pull them together into an interesting plot line. The beginning of the series starts out a bit slowly, and world politics might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's good. But again, that's just a personal opinion.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 04:25   Link #212
nutype
Future MD

Animation 10/10: Amazing in HD, the gundams have an aesthetic appeal to me that I havent seen in any other gundam series. Obviously as technology advances we are going to see crisper images and better designs, gundam00 is no exception. The character designs are awesome. I loved how all the meisters were cookie cutter bishou-nens, they are eye candy to look at. There were a few moments when animations took a sudden dive but this show has never reused stock-images from what I can recall. I can't complain in this department the show is just bliss to the eyes and raises the bar for other anime.

Voice Actors 10/10: The voice actors bring personality to the table. They make the anime believeable to me by bringing passion to their job and a level of professionalism. Particularly the voices of the 4 meisters are memorable and even after the 2nd series is over I will still remember what the meisters sound like.

Characters 10/10: I have to say the relationship between the 4 meisters is what made me love this series so much. They are all unique and don't get along. At the beginning they pretty much stick to their own business but slowly come together. They all have really compelling backstories that are believeable and relevant to our lives today. Particularly Setsuna and his many traumatic experiences and Atheism set the tone of the story and atmosphere straight from the start. Some characters like Alleluja were a complete mess and I wished they worked on him better. Lock-on seemed to be the most liked with his flambouyant personality, a lot of people liked him, he was the glue that held the meisters together. Tieria was probably the best supporting character in the meister and I liked him the most.

Plotting 10/10: I'm guessing this plot is as REAL as realistic can get in the gundam-verse. It isn't perfect but it's making a real effort here to appeal to our sensibilities. To watch film or anime you have to suspend belief to enjoy it. Gundam 00 does a great job at creating a plot and world that I can watch without being bothered by inconsistancies or over-the-top incidents. The plot itself is a bit strange when you think about it but at least it is damn consistant. Sure there are some moments in the series that may have been a bit sloppy but really, what anime doesn't fuck up at least in a few instances? When I compare most anime to Gundam00 they dont even hold a candle to it. I can tell watching this that it took at least a year or two to get a script together and it shows. I'm going to walk into season 2 with a positive outlook and not be dismayed by how Code Geass R2 went.

Music 9/10: Great OP/ED song choices to go along with spectacular visials. Some BGM's were somewhat annoying but overall had many memorable ones.

Some sticking points:

-saji & louise

My goodness these 2 almost ruined this series for me. Just boring as hell and seem to retard the pacing of the show. I was so glad when Neena trashed the wedding party. Season 2 will now be a lot more bearable. I understand why these 2 civilians were included in the show, but I still feel they spent too much time for them. Spending 4~5 minutes playing Louise & Saji flashbacks with karoake just doesnt cut it for me. I eagerly await to see the *hopefully* war torn and transformed saji and louise in S2.

-technology

I'm hoping gundam00 will refrain from introducing more science fiction than I can believe. It seems as the story progresses more and more new science is introduced which took away from the reality of the series. They can give you mechanical limbs and body parts and heal amputated hands as well? They are stretching the science a bit too far sometimes. I'm hoping for some vague explanation behind the GN drive in S2. Hopefully they will give us something as CGR2 never gave us on the nature of geass, codes or even CC's name. I have more faith in Gundam00 than CG though so we will have to see.

Last edited by nutype; 2008-09-30 at 04:36.
nutype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 05:38   Link #213
Kelrys
Same old same

Send a message via AIM to Kelrys Send a message via MSN to Kelrys
I somehow find that the inclusion of Saji and Louise plot is to give the audience how the war can affect plain civilians and their resolution after that.
Kelrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-03, 22:20   Link #214
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelrys View Post
I somehow find that the inclusion of Saji and Louise plot is to give the audience how the war can affect plain civilians and their resolution after that.
The spectators of war.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-07, 01:36   Link #215
indr0008
Physicist

Send a message via MSN to indr0008 Send a message via Yahoo to indr0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos45 View Post
Is gundam any good?
if u enjoy abit of realism and less angst main chara, close to 0 romance (gundam 00), then yes. it is good
indr0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-09, 19:09   Link #216
AnimeFangirl

Finished season one. I have some other series to polish off, then I'll return to finish Gundam OO. I thought the final episodes of season one were really bad, especially the ridiculous farce that was the Alvatore and the complete waste of Graham's long-awaited souped up Flag and how characters just started dying left and right. "Oh there was such a nice guy here and I never knew it~" Just shut up and die.

Episode 25 was the first episode in the show where I was pausing every 5 minutes to check if it was over yet, it was just so silly. The words "maudlin" and "mawkish" were invented purely for episodes 24 and 25.

But with 25 more episodes left till the end of the show, strictly speaking I'm only halfway through. The second season could pick up tremendously, you never know. Or I guess you guys do know, but don't tell me. Be back soon!
Old 2017-11-10, 11:38   Link #217
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Finished season one. I have some other series to polish off, then I'll return to finish Gundam OO. I thought the final episodes of season one were really bad, especially the ridiculous farce that was the Alvatore and the complete waste of Graham's long-awaited souped up Flag and how characters just started dying left and right. "Oh there was such a nice guy here and I never knew it~" Just shut up and die.

Episode 25 was the first episode in the show where I was pausing every 5 minutes to check if it was over yet, it was just so silly. The words "maudlin" and "mawkish" were invented purely for episodes 24 and 25.

But with 25 more episodes left till the end of the show, strictly speaking I'm only halfway through. The second season could pick up tremendously, you never know. Or I guess you guys do know, but don't tell me. Be back soon!
You must be a thrill at parties...

Anyway, how was the Alvatore a farce exactly? I don't get it.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-10, 13:06   Link #218
AnimeFangirl

Oh don't mind me. I enjoyed season one a lot more than I'm letting on. I wouldn't have watched the whole thing and wouldn't be planning to watch the rest otherwise. It's just the last few episodes that let the side down and incurred my wrath.

Alvatore... first off, it looked dumb. Seriously, a flashy bulbous gold mecha why?? For the last boss of the season it's not impressive at all. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder so we can let that slide.

It also came out of nowhere, got in a few good shots and then went out like a punk. Setsuna beat it so easily I can't buy it as a proper threat. It should have at least been introduced earlier and not just appeared at the end to get killed.

Alejandro's motivations for personally piloting the thing seemed sudden as well. I haven't read the novels but was there any indication at all that he was that good a mecha pilot? It seems very out of character for him to personally rush into battle like that. Especially since he's been shown being so clever, patient and calculating, wouldn't someone like that realize that putting the mech in the hands of a competent (and expendable) pilot would be sheer common sense? Was Alejandro portrayed as such a shortsighted and hot-blooded guy all along and I just didn't realize it?

The whole thing felt like the writers passed the halfway mark and thought, Crikey! We don't have a Big Bad for this season! Quick! and they scrambled to send Alejandro up to space so he could die for the sake of anime convention. None of the Gundam Meisters even know him, it's so out of nowhere.

Personally I think a final lengthy, detailed confrontation between Exia and Graham's Flag would have been better built up and far more epic. All the action and drama and none of the "Huh?" factor.

And that's why I disapprove of the Alvatore.
Old 2017-11-10, 16:35   Link #219
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I thought the Alvatore was fantastic as the final villain of the series. It was huge, it had incredible fire power, and was practically unbeatable, all good qualities for a villainous mobile armor. As for being defeated easily, it absolutely wasn't. It took the combined efforts of the Exia, assault container, and GN Arms to get it beaten and reveal the Alvaaron. There was also no way Graham's Flag was going to be anymore than what it was, an Overflag with a GN Drive glued to it. It was built in a rush, and the fact it showed up at the very end, when the Exia was weakend after Trans-Am built up a lot of tension. After all was said and done, there was still one more thing to take care of, Graham's little fetish for the Gundams. You couldn't make that fight last an episode because the Exia would have beaten it before long.

Idk, I thought the final episode was amazing. But that's me.

That said, with your issues on the Alvatore, I don't think you're going to like the Gadelaza...
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 02:01   Link #220
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Alvatore more or less played an important role on the defeat of Kyrios, Nadleeh and Lasse so it did a lot of damage. Patrick would have honestly been done for if Alvatore didn't disrupted Nadleeh's Trans Am, and Kyrios got heavily damaged by its beam which made it easier for Sergei and Soma to beat him later.

I thought it was a great final battle personally and I rewatch it on a regular basis. Alvatore also gave GN Armor Type E a run for its money and only got defeated because GN Armor Type E is an Anti-GN Field Type.

Alvaaron also forced Exia to used its Trans Am which left it and Setsuna weakened when it came to Graham's GN Flag battle which ended in a draw. The poor state of the GN Flag due to the rush job contributed to that and Graham IMO really underperformed in that battle but it would have been worse for Graham if Exia wasn't already weakened. So it more or less played a a big role in the defeat of three of the Meisters as well as Ptolemy ship.

Quote:
Alvatore... first off, it looked dumb. Seriously, a flashy bulbous gold mecha why?? For the last boss of the season it's not impressive at all. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder so we can let that slide.
I can't speak for the physical design, that's just that but there is an in-universe explanation for the gold. Alejandro super loves the color gold so he likes to drab himself in it. His gun is gold among other things. The gold plating on the Alejandro is also some sort of anti-beam playing of sorts which is part of the reason it takes beams better than average GN Armor.

He even tuned the GN Drive Taus on the Alvatore to emit gold particles though they are functionally identical to the red ones on other pseudo Solar Furnaces.

On a side note, in real life Alvatore used to be Kyrios's old transformation design or at least evolved from something similar to this since they wanted an animal life transformation for Kyrios (the shield claw is a survivor from that concept). They discarded it for Kyrios but decided to re-use it as a boss enemy.

Personally while I don't think it's the most aesthetically pleasing design in the world it has an insect-like dangerous alien final boss feel towards it.

Quote:
Alejandro's motivations for personally piloting the thing seemed sudden as well. I haven't read the novels but was there any indication at all that he was that good a mecha pilot? It seems very out of character for him to personally rush into battle like that.
Alejandro was a Realdo pilot for the Union back in the day so he does have piloting experience. I don't know how much of ace car he was but he is be able to pilot competently. He isn't that bad of a pilot either in the actual show since he lost due to an elemental weakness (his mobile is more of a Virtue GN Field and huge beams type) and Trans Am is a huge advantage in a 1v1 battle and as I mentioned he contributed contribute huge damage to some of the Gundam units.

Alejandro rushing into battle is in character though from what we have seen. While he's a calculative guy, he's also a glory hog. He wants to be part of the final victory against Aeolia as we have seen from actions like wanting to be the one to pull the final trigger to kill him. Granted piloting into battle is a bigger risk but his piloting background combined with his personality makes it more sensible.

He also really hates the Gundams as "Aeolia's ghosts" and really wants to showcase the glorify the Corner family
Legacy. Going into battle in the colors and playing a big heroic role kinda plays into that. And imagine how awesome it sounded if he was the one who saved the world and personally defeated Celestial Being? Ribbons even mocks him for his obsession with his family legacy before his death.

I mean, if he wanted to Alejandro can probably just kill the Gundams earlier but as he himself mentions in Episode 21, he is a greedy man and wants to keep the Original GN Drives so he can revive Celestial Being anytime, at least back at that period before Ptolemy created the stand alone OS.

He also gave the UN Army two shots at killing the Ptolemaios faction and they more or less blew it both times despite a huge numerical advantage. I also suspect there's an element "if you want something done correctly, do it yourself" there. They were more or less wasting the precious GN Drive Taus and GN-X units that he gave them. With his unit involved, he dealt more heavy damage to the Gundam units, their mobile armor as well as Ptolemaios ship.

On a more speculative note, in addition to the things I mentioned above I personally suspect Ribbons also encouraged him to do this. Alejandro has an ego that likes to be massaged and he does trust Ribbons who has helped him a lot up until now. I think he called him his angel and all that and they are very intimate with each other (more apparent in Special Edition I than in the TV Series). Ribbons probabaly doesn't "need" him to go out there but if an unfortunate accident happens, why not?

Last edited by SonicSP; 2017-11-11 at 02:24.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote