MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well, what do you know.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to divorce
Old 2012-06-30, 07:55   Link #22282
killer3000ad

Canadian bishops ban HPV vaccine for Catholic schoolgirls
Quote:
The National Post reports that when children in Calgary’s Catholic schools were sent home with vaccination information from Alberta Health Services they were given an additional letter. Penned by Henry and five other bishops, the letter instructed parents that “Although school-based immunization delivery systems generally result in high numbers of students completing immunization, a school-based approach to vaccination sends a message that early sexual intercourse is allowed.”

If you find the decision absurd, you’re not alone. This week, a group of parents, physicians and researchers have gone public with their fight to have the Catholic School District overturn the ban and allow the school vaccinations to stand. The group, known as HPV Calgary, has started a campaign to pressure school trustees to address the situation by June 30.

The group argues that there is no evidence that vaccinations lead to higher rates of promiscuity. And while parents of girls in Catholic schools would still be able to have their daughters vaccinated away from school, the group argues that the ban would ensure that many girls wouldn’t get the chance.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2012-06-30 at 08:35.
Old 2012-06-30, 13:05   Link #22283
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
not that I'm defending them but you should have added the opening paragraph to provide a bit more context:

Quote:
Every year, millions of Canadian children are given vaccinations at school to help combat any number of conditions. But the female students in Calgary’s Catholic school system will be receiving one less shot than their public school counterparts. In 2008, a group of bishops led by Bishop Frederick Henry deemed that providing the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination — which guards girls against the four strands of HPV most associated with cervical cancer — to fifth and ninth-grade girls could be viewed as a compromise of Catholic teaching. Why? Because HPV is a sexually transmitted virus.
They aren't completely insane, just a bit. But mostly just very misguided and blinded by their faith though (imho).
Old 2012-06-30, 13:18   Link #22284
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Christian cults these days tend to forget the forgiveness part of the religion they evangelize. So what if it's sexually transmitted? It's better to get cancer and cost more money than the vaccination, while unable to do anything productive, including breed?
Old 2012-06-30, 18:08   Link #22285
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
not that I'm defending them but you should have added the opening paragraph to provide a bit more context:

They aren't completely insane, just a bit. But mostly just very misguided and blinded by their faith though (imho).
No, they're insane... HPV is not ONLY transmitted sexually, that's just the significant vector of transmission.

Lets get this straight -- there's no waffling around the problem: the Abrahamic religions are largely implemented as misogynist, anti-women, and "keeping women in their place".
Old 2012-06-30, 18:12   Link #22286
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
No, they're insane... HPV is not ONLY transmitted sexually, that's just the significant vector of transmission.

Lets get this straight -- there's no waffling around the problem: the Abrahamic religions are largely implemented as misogynist, anti-women, and "keeping women in their place".
that is why you should convert to Cthulhuism

*all kneel before the great mollusk

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Old 2012-06-30, 18:18   Link #22287
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that is why you should convert to Cthulhu

*all kneel before the great mollusk

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Infidel! *slap* Everybody knows by now Nyarlathotep is more moe and badass

Old 2012-06-30, 18:38   Link #22288
killer3000ad

You all worship false idols! The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the ONE TRUE GOD. Accept his offering of bolognese meatballs now or forever be condemned to eternity in spaghetti-less DAMNATION!
Old 2012-06-30, 18:45   Link #22289
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And condemn the universe by denying the god empress Haruhi Suzumiya?

Surely you jest.
Old 2012-06-30, 18:48   Link #22290
killer3000ad

LIES! Madoka is the patron saint of all magical girls, Haruhi included. From her all magical shoujos spring forth and return to! Bow ye heads to the Church of our Madoka!
Old 2012-06-30, 19:00   Link #22291
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:

Wow... hey... normally, I could have said that, but let me act as the(ir) devilgod's advocate, and point out that not every single priest has lost his (rarely her) sanity and prefers the slow decay of mankind in favour to some miserable vision of salvation he (even more rarely her) dreams about. There are also sane clerics, and modern variants of Cushitic cults that try to divert their flock into the realization that human beliefs are malleable and emergent.

Back on the subject, those priests should be persecuted as criminals if any of the girls they brainwash, ends up spreading the disease with an exemplifying sentence for knowingly and willingly terrorizing their flock with the threat of biological warfare... just like their peers, the Taliban.
Old 2012-06-30, 19:51   Link #22292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Has it been pointed out to them that these teens could still follow all the concepts of their religion and still get this disease on their wedding night from their husband who might not have any clue he is carrying it?
Old 2012-06-30, 19:54   Link #22293
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Has it been pointed out to them that these teens could still follow all the concepts of their religion and still get this disease on their wedding night from their husband who might not have any clue he is carrying it?
Nope, because their shepherds assume that their husbands will be equally idiotic sheep, that live their and Afghans' fantasies
Old 2012-06-30, 20:06   Link #22294
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Do you think they would care? Or rather, be smart enough to care?
Old 2012-06-30, 20:12   Link #22295
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If it prevents their flock from multiplying as commanded, I would think they would care.
Old 2012-06-30, 20:25   Link #22296
GundamFan0083

Quote:

Unfortunately that is true of most Christian groups I've encountered (maybe there are some that are not this way, but I have yet to meet them).

I would argue that Catholicism and most Christianity is NOT part of the Abrahamic faith.
The Roman Catholic faith especially is a bastardization of both Roman pagan beliefs and Christian beliefs.

Peter Joseph explains this well, coutesy of Zeitgeist.

*Begin Rant*

Even though there are stories in Torah of heroic woman (such as Judith, Ruth and Naomi, etc.) many fundamentalists either twist these stories around to mean something they don't, or they ignore them completely.
Thus I see nothing in the Kingdom of Israel/Judea that was any more or less mysognistic, anti-women, or "keeping women in their place" than any other kingdom of its era whether pagan or otherwise.

Hell, there were Queens of Israel (albeit wicked), so women were not portrayed in Torah they way the Catholics claim.
Hebrew women were portrayed as individualistic, powerful, and strong.
The Catholic version of women has always been the antithesis of that: cowardly, weak, spinless, a servant that is lost without her husband/man.
I really wish the Christians would just come clean and admit that their religion has nothing to do with the Abrahamic "old testament"/Torah and everything to do with their dogma that is based on the "New" Testament.

Thus all I see in the Canadian Catholic Bishop of this news item is yet another example of a statist (even though it's theocratic) attempt at controlling what others do with their bodies and/or health.
Leviticus is nothing but laws about preventing the spread or transmission of diseases through food laws, sex laws, etc.
You'd think that if this Bishop actually followed the bible that he claims to cherish so much, that'd he be mandating that these girls get the HPV shot/vaccination.

*End rant*

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-06-30 at 20:56.
Old 2012-06-30, 21:25   Link #22297
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yah, I was a bit too sweeping in that (though there are Jewish extreme sects that certainly fit the bill, most Jewish orthodoxy and reformed Judaism does a "180" on the matter).
Old 2012-06-30, 21:32   Link #22298
Malkuth
Banned

I am normally very critical to nazi states the modern israel, but their culture is not just only about their decadent religion that has spread like a cancerous tumor into their arab brethren though islam and indo-european neighbors in its christian mutation cults
Old 2012-06-30, 22:09   Link #22299
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Yah, I was a bit too sweeping in that (though there are Jewish extreme sects that certainly fit the bill, most Jewish orthodoxy and reformed Judaism does a "180" on the matter).
Well, I agree with you that most of the modern state religions fit the bill, but the religion Abraham started isn't the religion practiced by most of the "orthodox" religions.
The corruption began with the Babylonian captivity and has continued ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I am normally very critical to nazi states the modern israel, but their culture is not just only about their decadent religion that has spread like a cancerous tumor into their arab brethren though islam and indo-european neighbors in its christian mutation cults
The state of Israel is a secular Zionist state, they are not religious.
Besides, the Nazis were humanists not theists.
As for cancers, I'd say those areas have caught a fatal case of Marxianosis, which if not treated with healthy doses of individualism, freedom, and capitalism, often prove fatal.
Old 2012-06-30, 22:55   Link #22300
Malkuth
Banned

@SomeGundamFan: Modern Israel is the continuation of WW2 Germany, in image of their ruling class that supported the extermination of anarchists, gypsies, communists, etc. before their turn came eventually by their former business benefactors. That of course does not imply that its citizens as well as the Germans of the time then are and were supporting or even approving those practices.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international