Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-16, 10:15   Link #61
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Nonetheless, that doesn't really change the fact that we see Van der Decken wearing a straw-hat on his bounty poster
A fact that most people seem to be ignoring...
Old 2011-01-16, 21:49   Link #62
Jaieni

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
A fact that most people seem to be ignoring...
Is Van der Decken human though? He looks like a fishman. The prophecy says a human with a straw hat will destroy fishman island.
Old 2011-01-16, 22:15   Link #63
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
^Both? You make it sound like there's only been two. Every major boss fight Luffy's been through, he narrowly wins from a near death situation. That's shounen for ya.
I am saying there's only been two. Those 2 are the only ones that had really beaten him, not just pushed him to his limits or near death so to speak. Crocodile obviously beat him 2 times; 3 actually if it wasn't for the antidote. Luffy really only survived due to copious amounts of plotshield. Megallan also beat him thoroughly.

I'm discounting Kuma since that was after the exhuasting fight with Moria as well as the WB war.
Old 2011-01-17, 02:27   Link #64
paradox13
zzz

Quote:
Is Van der Decken human though? He looks like a fishman. The prophecy says a human with a straw hat will destroy fishman island.
Hes Human. Cursed to roam the seas for his cruelty...it seems his children and grandchildren have inherited his curse. The reason he looks like a fishman is because he cannot surface.

Do ppl not read the manga?!
Old 2011-01-17, 09:05   Link #65
Paraden1989

Yeah, i think that this arc will probably go like this: the Straw Hats will have a conflict with Van der Decken, who is the person that Madam Shirley in her vision (i'm guessing), and they might get mixed up with the Fishman Pirates. I also think that Van der Decken might kidnap the princess, thus being the main reason why the Straw Hats try to fight his crew. Also i think Big Mam will get involved with this arc some how by either shouing up half way through or at the end of the arc.
Old 2011-01-17, 11:56   Link #66
Mazkoom

Send a message via MSN to Mazkoom
I like these chapters.. full of information..

I do agree with marvelB
Quote:
Nonetheless, that doesn't really change the fact that we see Van der Decken wearing a straw-hat on his bounty poster (and thus will probably be responsible for the island's destruction)......
However, I think that there is a meaning of showing how mermen/fishmen/mermaid are having different types of species when they decide to have babies.. Also, it was mentioned that Van der Decken came to FI many years ago and his ship is still roaming in the undersea..
Trying to connect the pieces together.. it seems that Van der Decken is a descendant of a human and a merman. that is there is a possibility that Van married a mermaid and had that mysterious human/mermaid kid who inherited his father's ship and has "gills" .. and he was called a human because of that.. although I found it quite unlikely, is still a possibility..

The other possibility is to think of what lets luffy goes berserk?? Nakama?? did anyone hurt his Nakama?? then those who hurt them are doomed with the "D" curse lol
I mean Luffy went berserk at CP9 arc for this reason.. I wonder who is it going to be this time.. do you think we are going to lose one of the strawhats?
Old 2011-01-17, 16:41   Link #67
longnose-kun

I'm thinking this ark will be very similar to skypiea, and I have many reasons why.

1. Extremely hard to travel which needed Nami's excellent navigation skills.
2. On their way to their destination, they are attack
3. They get separated
3. There are many different groups of people who will eventually fight each other

With all of this, I feel the Strawhats will end up leaving with cool new gadgets and some form of currency, but no new crew mate
Old 2011-01-17, 18:33   Link #68
marvelB

I was actually ready to bring up the theory of Van der Decken being a half-merman myself, but it looks like I was beaten. But yeah, that seems the most likely reason for his appearance (wonder if this means Moria is a halfbreed, too?). That would also probably explain why he doesn't seem to hang around the surface world, what with his grandfather's reputation and the discrimination and all. Heck, maybe his entire crew is made up of halfbreeds (well, with the exception of that sea giant, anyway), which I think would make for a pretty unique pirate crew.....

Oh, and about Big Mom: While I still rather doubt that the empress herself will physically appear in the storyline, I do think it would be cool if we at least saw one of her top crewmen show up at the island (like her first mate or something)......
Old 2011-01-18, 04:10   Link #69
Jaieni

Quote:
Hes Human. Cursed to roam the seas for his cruelty...it seems his children and grandchildren have inherited his curse. The reason he looks like a fishman is because he cannot surface.

Do ppl not read the manga?!
The translation I'm reading never mention his species. All it says that might indicate he's not fishman/merman is his grandfather "came here to fishman island and this is where he breathed his last breath.", but that is not convincing at all. (chp 610 pg 11 bottom panel).

If you have where it's explicitly stated the original was human then post the source, as I'm sure I didn't miss that detail.

We have him shown in shadow and then a iffy picture of him on his wanted poster. In shadow he may look somewhat human, but in the wanted poster I have doubts that he's full human (like I don't think moria or magellan are "human"). So I won't be convinced of his race until he's shown out of shadow (his race probably won't be talked about).
Old 2011-01-18, 10:16   Link #70
paradox13
zzz

Its possible hes half fishman like you've said.

However on ch 606, Brook talks about the legend of van der decken, and how he was supposedly cursed to roam the seas forever.
Old 2011-01-18, 18:01   Link #71
Divine Punisher

Send a message via MSN to Divine Punisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnose-kun View Post
I'm thinking this ark will be very similar to skypiea, and I have many reasons why.

1. Extremely hard to travel which needed Nami's excellent navigation skills.
2. On their way to their destination, they are attack
3. They get separated
3. There are many different groups of people who will eventually fight each other

With all of this, I feel the Strawhats will end up leaving with cool new gadgets and some form of currency, but no new crew mate
wait!! there is more:

3. they are traveling on a boat
3. luffy is wearing a strawhat
3. there are pirates involved

yeah, defenitely no new crewmate.
Old 2011-01-18, 19:39   Link #72
marvelB

Quote:
Its possible hes half fishman like you've said.

However on ch 606, Brook talks about the legend of van der decken, and how he was supposedly cursed to roam the seas forever.

Ah, but don't forget that in this very chapter we had Pappag explain how such legends tend to be exaggerated over time. Whatever "curse" it is that plagues Van der Decken's bloodline is quite likely to have a more logical explanation (at least by Oda's standards) than what some old myth would imply......
Old 2011-01-18, 20:17   Link #73
james0246

^Additionally, Oda has gone out of his way to always explain the supernatural. Ghosts and Zombies do not actually exist, Ms. Goldenweek's paints are not enchanted, and even 'Gods' are nothing more than powerful devil fruit users. So, I seriously doubt there is any actual "curse", and I do expect Decken to have some ability to breathe underwater that has nothing to do with magic...
Old 2011-01-18, 20:21   Link #74
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I always found it interesting that even though One Piece is classified as an adventure fantasy, all the supernatural occurrences have a scientific explanation behind it or are due to the effects of a devil fruit.

And it's even been hinted that a devil fruit doesn't have anything to do with magic or the supernatural at all, but rather there's a scientific process behind what it does to grant unusual abilities.
Old 2011-01-18, 20:22   Link #75
longnose-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Punisher View Post
wait!! there is more:

3. they are traveling on a boat
3. luffy is wearing a strawhat
3. there are pirates involved

yeah, defenitely no new crewmate.
OK there is no need for that. I know it's sarcastic but as you were probably taught in school, I can't tell. Now If I wasn't a calm minded person, I probably would of started a flame war. Now, I was just trying to get some conversation going, and that wasn't really necessary. And maybe my idea is far fetched, but I'm just trying to find a pattern in Oda's writing, for he is a pretty unpredictable guy.

Anyway, there is probably a better chance for a crew member to get now than not to get one, but I feel they won't get one.
Old 2011-01-18, 20:52   Link #76
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
I always found it interesting that even though One Piece is classified as an adventure fantasy, all the supernatural occurrences have a scientific explanation behind it or are due to the effects of a devil fruit.

Yeah, I always enjoy it when Oda explains those seemingly impossible phenomena (my favorite, BTW, was the explanation behind the knock-up stream during the Jaya arc). Really goes to show just how carefully OP's world is built, y'know?

Anyway, I'm sticking with the theory that Decken is a half-merman. After all, we've actually seen evidence of halfbreeds as early as the Davy Back Fight arc (remember Big Pan, the half-giant merman from Foxy's crew?).....

Edit: Looks like it's-a spoiler time! I'll make the new thread when the full summary's available.......

Edit 2: Cooooome and get it!

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-01-19 at 01:37.
Closed Thread