Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-01, 10:06   Link #581
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Haven't you played any text adventure games? =P Besides a lot of things that are good in a novel cannot be conveyed totally by images. For example, how do you convey nostalgia (no, no more cherry blossoms), or regret?
I have played A Mind Forever Voyaging and the early Zork and King's Quest games if that's what you mean

my point is that the music is rather detrimental to the enjoyment of Tsukihime, and the graphics rather unnecessary... I think I can enjoy it as much or maybe even a little bit more if it's just a plain novel without those annoying music and... umm... detracting graphics and h scenes...

oh, and the above are all just my opinions of course... don't jump on me if you enjoy the h scenes in the game
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-01, 11:38   Link #582
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsurou
Was browsing AnimeNFO just these past couple days and noticed it was in the top 100 and when I reviewed it, it was at rank 26. Now it's gone up to 16, which I find strange because since my ratings, there are 2 less than 5.0 avg ratings given, one 7.7 and of course the usual 10. I don't know how the script works for that. Rankings aside, still it's average ratings of 9.1 puts it up there along with some of the best animes recognised by most people and with over 400 reviewers already, I guess that's a recognition as well. I'm still not convinced however that it can be that good. I guess quite a big portion of those 400 reviewers came from here but I'll still like to hear what others have to say. Maybe you can do your own reviewing over there too. Let's see if it can garner a top 10 spot. Heh
it's an interesting story. I didn't watch it when it was airing but one day after it was over, I took it out and watched it all and it was fantastic. It has a good balance of mystery/romance/action. It's more romance and I hate romance but I loved the romance in tsukihime. It's original compared to the recycled anime like green green, maburaho and all the other crap out there
hunterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-01, 14:15   Link #583
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I actually think the h scenes in the game quite redundant. Actually I think the graphics and music in the game are also quite redundant... especially the music... which pains me to hear...

IMO calling Tsukihime a "game" is already quite stretching it, I don't think there's any other game, even those games in the so-called visual novel genre (or Japanese PC AVG games), that has entire screens of text after text like Tsukihime. It's basically an electronic novel with some graphics and music added in as background.

It's kinda expected to have a more complete and better story in a novel compared to a game, if you ask me...
I agree about the music...it was very plain and at times would be very jittery when I first played it (the TYPE-MOON HP said that this game was originally made to be played on Windows 95/98 so it worked very weird on Me/2000 back then). Fortunately, this bug was fixed and the music was remastered in the "Tsukibako" collection. Until then, the music annoyed me to the extent that I just shut the CD-Audio off and played the entire game mute.

The drawings were...err...well, you can tell that the illustrator was an amateur. It is definitely not the best drawings and CG art compared to the pros in the ero-game market. Back then, we used to call Takeuchi-san's art as, "his art style is very manga-like." The coloring was very plaid as well. But I do compliment the enormous stand-pictures (tachi-e) in the game...some stand-pictures are shown only once never to be seen again!

As for backgrounds - it is basically a picture or snapshot of some actual place and blurred with an tone of blue. It looks cheap yes, but for many otakus it also was something that recalled the background usage in the old Leaf game "Shizuku" and "Kizuato" back in 1996 (This was in the later/end days of DOS games). I guess that using a free-ero-game production software NScripter has its limits.

In many ways, I think this game had its success because it was very DOS-like as well. Cheap graphics and cheap sound can be contemplated for a great story - something that the old DOS game companies did due to machine restrictions. In the end though, I think "Tsukihime" was a good for the market (ero-game and non-ero-game alike) as a whole since it reinforced the consumer's theory, "in the end, it all comes down to whether the story is amusing or not."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-01, 14:29   Link #584
dreamless

well, even the old DOS h-games don't have this much of continuous reading... actually I don't remember any other game has this much of continuous reading. With the emphasis on the word "continuous". The old text adventure games are all readings for sure, but you have to type/input commands every now and then like "look at the room", "walk north", etc. etc. The Japanese AVG games also don't have entire screens of text after text. That's why I think Tsukihime gives me a feel that it's more like a novel than a game... that's what I meant by it's "a novel where the graphics and music are just added in as background"... or maybe I should use the word "backdrops"?

About the story, it's okay, quite good actually... it just doesn't appeal to me that much... well, I guess that's just a personal thing... I plain don't like Shiki's character, so I have some problems immersing myself into the story... especially after I see what happens to the girl I like most in the game, poor Yumizuka-chan.
Old 2004-04-01, 14:58   Link #585
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
well, even the old DOS h-games don't have this much of continuous reading... actually I don't remember any other game has this much of continuous reading. With the emphasis on the word "continuous". The old text adventure games are all readings for sure, but you have to type/input commands every now and then like "look at the room", "walk north", etc. etc. The Japanese AVG games also don't have entire screens of text after text. That's why I think Tsukihime gives me a feel that it's more like a novel than a game... that's what I meant by it's "a novel where the graphics and music are just added in as background"... or maybe I should use the word "backdrops"?

About the story, it's okay, quite good actually... it just doesn't appeal to me that much... well, I guess that's just a personal thing... I plain don't like Shiki's character, so I have some problems immersing myself into the story... especially after I see what happens to the girl I like most in the game, poor Yumizuka-chan.
That is why this is in the "Visual Novel" genre (games that are heavily text-based, reading a novel with music and CGs). Not much companies do "visual novels" since it is up to the scenario writer to make the game shine. Games such as "Shizuku," "Kizuato," "To Heart" were "Visual Novels" (Leaf defines these as "Leaf Visual Novel Series Vol. 1, 2, 3). "ONE" and "MOON" from Tactics were also novel games to a certain extent. Some more well-known non-ero Visual Novels include "Otogirisou" and "Kamaitachi no Yoru." The Production IG's Yaru-Dora series "Double Cast," "Kisetsu o Dakishimite," "Sanpagaeta," and "Yukiwari no Hana" are also much like Visual Novels - although they do have a lot more selection points.

While "Visual Novels" may offer an advantage to create in-depth background and story, it is also a risk since if the write goes too far, the consumer gets tiresome of reading the game. While TYPE-MOON's latest "Fate/stay night" had a good story, I often fell tired of reading for 70 hours in total to complete the game. Especially when I am tired from coming home from work. While a good idea and a breakthrough in gaming genre when it was first done by "Otogirisou," it is also a double-edge sword, sort of speak.

I wouldn't worry about Yumiduka-san... in the PLUS+DISC that came along with the Tsukibako compilation, TYPE-MOON already have plans for a complete Yumiduka scenario. Rumors suggest they are either doing/planning a sequel to "Tsukihime," a re-release of the original "Tsukihime" under their pro-name, or a completely different story that intertwines with Yumiduka's story/arc in "Tsukihime." Supposedly, they'll give out more details once they finish finalizing stuffs for "MELTY BLOOD Re-ACT" But then again, we may end up waiting for two years like Key's "CLANNAD."
Old 2004-04-01, 15:06   Link #586
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Don't trust those reviews at animeinfo thanks to them I thought that last exile was the best of the best and when I bought the DVDs it proved to be a very bad anime.

The only way to know if something is good is to watch it yourself.

Yep, and I don't like Shingetsutan....
Old 2004-04-01, 15:20   Link #587
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
That is why this is in the "Visual Novel" genre (games that are heavily text-based, reading a novel with music and CGs). Not much companies do "visual novels" since it is up to the scenario writer to make the game shine. Games such as "Shizuku," "Kizuato," "To Heart" were "Visual Novels" (Leaf defines these as "Leaf Visual Novel Series Vol. 1, 2, 3). "ONE" and "MOON" from Tactics were also novel games to a certain extent. Some more well-known non-ero Visual Novels include "Otogirisou" and "Kamaitachi no Yoru." The Production IG's Yaru-Dora series "Double Cast," "Kisetsu o Dakishimite," "Sanpagaeta," and "Yukiwari no Hana" are also much like Visual Novels - although they do have a lot more selection points.
Well, actually the point I try to make is that Tsukihime even has much much more reading and much less picture switchings and choice points than the other above mentioned "visual novel games". I think Tsukihime already crosses the boundary and becomes more of a "visual novel" than a "visual novel game"

So Fate/stay night still have as much continuous reading as Tshkihime? I haven't acquired the game yet, but judging from the screenshots it seems there are more drawings and maybe some more choices than Tsukihime? For me it's not the total amount of text that matters, it's whether they give some graphics breaks, background switchings and choices in between the text readings.
Old 2004-04-01, 15:27   Link #588
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Well, actually the point I try to make is that Tsukihime even has much much more reading and much less picture switchings and choice points than the other above mentioned "visual novel games". I think Tsukihime already crosses the boundary and becomes more of a "visual novel" than a "visual novel game"

So Fate/stay night still have as much continuous reading as Tshkihime? I haven't acquired the game yet, but judging from the screenshots it seems there are more drawings and maybe some more choices than Tsukihime? For me it's not the total amount of text that matters, it's whether they give some graphics breaks, background switchings and choices in between the text readings.
Definitely, if not more since it packs more detail on the differences between "mahou" and "majutsu," the details of the "War for the Holy Grail," and the Archer relationship. It took me about 65-70 hours to complete the game.

A seemingly Key's "CLANNAD" is twice as long as "AIR" I'm beginning to think why I buy these games in the first place.
Old 2004-04-01, 15:38   Link #589
lubufengxian

I liked the dark themes of the anime. I never played the H game, so I can't compare to the original format, but there was pull that the series had on me that always left me hanging, wanting to see something more. The animation was decent, not great, but the story held my attention. I watch quite a bit of action anime (naruto and the ilk) but I liked to relax and contemplate this gothic style.

I'd give it a seven out of ten.
lubufengxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-01, 21:40   Link #590
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Speaking of art in the Tsukihime games, Melty Blood really evolved the art and made it much, much better while keeping the same styles basically.

I don't know about Kagetsu though.
Old 2004-04-03, 00:18   Link #591
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku
I say it is over rated. I mean it was pretty good I give it a 7 or 7.5 i mean it was nothing special at all. The art wasn't even that great for the game. But I say AIR is better ^-^ (note this is all IMO) Fate/ stay night didn't seem all that great, I'm not a big fan of their art so that might be a big part. And another thing they seem to be really like blood....ALOT. But I haven't played it so I can't comment on it BUT I say KEY rules it all LOL.
Overall i thought the show was pretty good. For once there's an anime aimed at more mature audiences which is why i liked it.
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 03:08   Link #592
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
I thought that it was a very well done anime my only problem with it was the ending should have required more. More than just worth checking out
baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 11:04   Link #593
lynne_huang

I thought this anime was brilliant. Plot, animation, music.. all rolled up in one. Each episodes keeps you guessing at what is to come next, and leaves you wanting more. My only complaint would be that 13 episodes were far too short! Hoping for a second season. -fingers crossed-
lynne_huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-03, 11:28   Link #594
SpikeSpencer
Friendly Neighborhood Nub

Send a message via AIM to SpikeSpencer
Aye... I enjoyed it alot ...It was particularly dark in the lighting and such which I thought was nice, I always like that style. But besides loving it because of Arcueid, that main paino theme and the whole score was awesome ...If the story wasnt that great I still would have watched it becasue of them music.

Last edited by SpikeSpencer; 2004-04-03 at 11:29. Reason: Spelling sux
SpikeSpencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 12:21   Link #595
Freddy C
Invincible

Send a message via MSN to Freddy C
i'll give a short and unbiased review:

this anime was good, IMO absolutly brilliant, it's true that AnimeNfo's top 100 isnt always right, then again what top 100 chart is? but if you like vampire, romance and drama, this one is definitly for you, on the other hand if you dont, you may have plenty to complain about. the sad ending was one of the best ive seen, and the chracters, especially the main one are brilliant, Arcueid is in my top 50 fav anime characters of all time, and ive seen plenty of animes. this one is in my top 10 for sure, as for the general public....id say easily in the top 50 animes ever. i gave this 9.8 because really, it suited me almost perfectly...a short and neatly complied story with fantasic characters.
Freddy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 12:47   Link #596
SoulDrinker
wandering soul

Send a message via MSN to SoulDrinker
tsukihime is one of the best anime i seen. i really like the characters and how they grow during the series however i found Arcueid to start acting little childish about mid series which was annoying for me. has anyone read the manga i kno there is at least 2 chapters out
SoulDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 12:57   Link #597
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Actually, to get the real gist of Tsukihime, you have to play the game. That's the canonical story for any Tsuikihime fan. But you need good command of Japanese reading skills to understand the beauty of the story.

The manga is a compromise between the anime vision and the game story somewhat.
Old 2004-04-04, 13:08   Link #598
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

What Tsukihime is has already been said in this thread, but I'll chip in my opinions. It's good, but it could've been better. For one simple reason: too short. It needed 26 episodes to cover the grand background story of Tsukihime. 12 episodes simply wasn't enough. I guess the writers did the best they could in 12 episodes. I had read a lot of Tsukihime fansites to understand its story, and let me let you, it's the most contrived (or convoluted) one I've read ever, for an anime. One thing though, I love the character designs. Case in point: Arcuied and Akiha.

Oh, one last word: Akiha > Acruied > the rest .
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-04, 18:19   Link #599
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
What Tsukihime is has already been said in this thread, but I'll chip in my opinions. It's good, but it could've been better. For one simple reason: too short. It needed 26 episodes to cover the grand background story of Tsukihime. 12 episodes simply wasn't enough. I guess the writers did the best they could in 12 episodes. I had read a lot of Tsukihime fansites to understand its story, and let me let you, it's the most contrived (or convoluted) one I've read ever, for an anime. One thing though, I love the character designs. Case in point: Arcuied and Akiha.

Oh, one last word: Akiha > Acruied > the rest .
Akiha and Arucied is pretty scary when they throwing tantrums in jealousy. Akiha in Kohaku's case, Arucied in Ciel's case.
Old 2004-04-04, 19:56   Link #600
Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Akiha and Arucied is pretty scary when they throwing tantrums in jealousy. Akiha in Kohaku's case, Arucied in Ciel's case.
Speaking of Akiha, when i saw the credits roll toward the end of Shingetustan Tsukihime, i saw all the character that were suppose to be in the game version. Who was Akiha kissing in those clips, was it Shiki?
Devin is offline   Reply With Quote