AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-04-08, 20:34   Link #201
lynne_huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomeando
The piece she is actually playing is the second movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 9 in E major (Op. 14, No. 1).
Yes, that's right! It's Beethoven's op.14#1! I was trying to pinpoint it but I just couldn't rem which one it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miah
There is this question what exactly did TEAr's name signify.
It's a jump into unknown, but I pondered about the sound of the name. As the
letter "r" is not capitalized it could be set aside and the rest be considered as part
of the main musical (Madoka Terumichi's) short theme, sort of variation of it - if we
view T E A as D E A, because there is no T in music.
Wow, that's some interesting notion you got there!
Well, just pointing out another possibility: 'T' could be 'B' in solfege terms. I was in Yamaha Music Sch and the note 'B' was sung 'T/Ti' in solfege. Eg. C D E F G A B C would be Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti, Do (The Europeans generally sing 'Ti' as 'Si')

I do agree that the central key of the anime is A minor. You know the choral music where a solo voice enters, followed by other voices, and they form clusters of thirds? They normally have this 'choral' section accompany when the topic at hand is about Dynamis etc etc.

It starts out w 'B C A E D' and all these notes are held down together. Without the D, it forms a A minor chord in 2nd inversion. What's interesting is that if you arrange these notes, they form the 1st 5 notes of the A minor scale A B C D E.

To me, the other theme 'E A B G D' is a derivation from the above.

If you notice, the note 'F' is left out of both themes or is not featured prominently. I think this is because it's reserved for other non-action scenes eg. btw Kiyoko n Madoka in the early episodes:

< (#) denote #octaves below middle C>

F C(2) G(1) D C G (Harp), B1 C1 F (Flute) -->F in the bass is held throughout (pedalpoint) as well as clusters of notes in higher registers. If I were to name a key for this, I would say this is in F major - which is the relative major key of A minor.

Actually I think the motivic material and the orchestration of the music play a big part as well, but never mind.

Just some extra info for fun: in Ep 2, do you guys rem the Countess watching an opera? It's Mozart's Don Giovanni, Act 3 Scene something (I can't remember).
(Btw the music and the scene they showed do not actually correspond in the actual opera.) But basically, the scene has this guy Don Giovanni (seducer of 1000++ women) being dragged away against his will to Hell by the Devil. (Who would want to go anyway?) And this came right after Kiyoko and Madoka were chased by the Gilgamesh (i think), and they saw one of the Gilgamesh in his 'other' form, and were on the verge of fainting. It might be a parallel where Kiyoko/Madoka rep D.G. and the Gilgamesh guy (with scary face thrown in) rep the Devil.

-shruggs- Am I making too much out of nothing? Hmmmmm.
lynne_huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 01:29   Link #202
lomeando

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne_huang
If I were to name a key for this, I would say this is in F major - which is the relative major key of A minor.
I'm not sure where you learned your music theory, but C major is the relative major key of A minor. F major and A minor are weakly related keys (despite differing by only one accidental in key signature). F is the VI of A, and A is the III of F (i.e., not the dominant or sub-dominant), and F can't even serve as a secondary dominant, since the B in the A minor scale is a tritone below it, not a fifth.

I had forgotten the Don Giovanni scene, but if you're looking for someone whom multiple women loved being dragged down to Hell, my first guess would've been Enkidu.
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 16:11   Link #203
lynne_huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomeando
I'm not sure where you learned your music theory, but C major is the relative major key of A minor. F major and A minor are weakly related keys (despite differing by only one accidental in key signature). F is the VI of A, and A is the III of F (i.e., not the dominant or sub-dominant), and F can't even serve as a secondary dominant, since the B in the A minor scale is a tritone below it, not a fifth.
-smacks forehead- yes i can't believe that slipped past me! i need to go back to grade 1! Sorry about that. Heh.

What I meant to point out rather, is that A is III of F, which you mentioned above. This mediant relation is important, don't you think? This A note is fundamental in both A minor and F major, but sounds different in each key, due to the tone colours of the chords of that key. This might have had been the composer's way of linking the different sections together.

Just a random thought.. modulations from the tonic to the mediant key in the Romantic period were quite popular if I'm not wrong...

Oh and yeah, I guess Endiku ought to have had been dragged down. Or rather, his host: TEAR. In the end, TEAR dragged everyone down to hell anyway.
lynne_huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 18:06   Link #204
lomeando

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne_huang
Just a random thought.. modulations from the tonic to the mediant key in the Romantic period were quite popular if I'm not wrong...
Common practice (harmony and voice leading in the 18th and 19th centuries) focuses on the dominant and subdominant (it is also sometimes called "dominant harmony", to contrast it with "non-dominant harmony" that came later). Thus "closely" related keys are separated by fifths, not thirds. However, all keys are related, some just more distantly than other, and examples of modulation to the mediant or submediant are not uncommon (Beethoven's own Op. 18, No. 3 String Quartet contains a modulation from D major to F# minor in the third movement; it uses the VI chord in D (IV in f#) as the pivot).
lomeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 00:15   Link #205
redwalker

spoiler question

This may be a spoiler unless you've seen all 26 episodes.

Spoiler:
redwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 00:44   Link #206
pontupo
Mad Yoda Steez

Send a message via AIM to pontupo
Question Gilgamesh

Well, what can I say...... with this series I am just not sure. Though I have watched many series, I have never posted any thoughts before, but I thought that I might as well. In Gilgamesh, I don't trust anyone. The enemies of the series both seem bad. (I hope this isn't a spoiler, and if it is, please let me know). I have watched through episode 8, anyone have any thoughts?

oh by the way, sorry for my avatar. i just havent taken the time to find a unique one
pontupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 02:54   Link #207
7thMethuselah

Welcome to the forums

I just started watching gilgamesh as well (i'm up to episode 11) now and it starts to get really interesting. I hate the art in Gilgamesh (character art) but the setting and atmophere is so unique that it kept me interested. So far I really can't say who the good guys and who the bad guys are. I'm kinda voting for the gilgamesh kids (since they are alot cooler ). Episodes 4-8 were rather boring a bit off character development yes but too long spun in my opinion. But at least now it seems the series is picking up the pace.

I find the mystreries surrounding these kids and this world very intriguing, they are probably the only reason why I didn't drop this show after 5 episodes and I'm glad I didn't, I'm really hoping to get more explanations fast
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 05:32   Link #208
soupy

okay, I've reading this thread and there's quite alot of interesting suggestions and ideas here. I just did a marathon finishing this so I figure I'd share my thoughts about the ending:

Spoiler:

Personally I feel that thought-provoking endings for anime series based on apocalyptic stuff always works well because it leaves a deep after taste. When you touch on the subject of ending the world, you can't have a direct conclusion because no one can agree with each other. It has to be left open and weird. All in all, an awesome series once you get used to the artstyle .
soupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-10, 20:16   Link #209
7thMethuselah

I just saw epi's 12 - 26 in one afternoon/evening. The ending was weird, I didn't expect something like this. Reading all the previous posts I think we are more or less right about the meaning of the ending. Still there was one thing that bothered me
Spoiler:

Oh well, this anime earned it's spot between those other incomprehensible anime's called Evangelion and Lain. I still hate the art though...
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-11, 01:13   Link #210
delta9

I liked the art and loved the ending, it was different like Lain and Eva and I loved those endings too. I watched the remastered version of eva's ending too many times to remember, for some reason watching that ending while completely blazed on good herbs makes you feel the anime even more, then again maybe it's the really good song (turn back time) that they were playing while everything was happening, music does sound better and different while blazed.
delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 06:00   Link #211
Vidar

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9
...music does sound better and different while blazed.
That a suggestion? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy
It's either that or she used the tuning fork to get rid of TEAR to "retune" the broken world (remember how kiyoko is always tuning that broken piano she's so fond of, but in the end it will always be to no avail)
That's an interesting point you made. For me alike Kiyoko symbolized the purity of mankind (There's an alusion to that in the 5th or so episode when kiyoko is having an examination after she was kidnapped by the gilgamesh onto the airport: the countess finds out that "she still has it" which to me means that she is a virgin)
Given that, kiyoko in my oppinion seemingly tries to "retune" mankind, which to me, like you said soupy, is symbolized in the tuning of the broken piano - her counterpart (and alas her father) Enkidu possessed by the unpure feelings contained in the revengeful spirit that is TEAr, is trying to clean it by setting its evolution back.
The counterpart-like behavior of Kiyoko is clearly evident in some moments in the series. For example when she does not want to meet up with her father after she was kidnapped, and in her seemingly natural, instinctive dislike for the countess.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miah
every time the theme of Terumichi resurfaced, it seemed to
resonate with the world/matter/universe, and it reminded me of the sequences of
celestial bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if it were in fact an embodyment of a
Can't say i understood this fully, but it reminded me of something

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne huang
Just some extra info for fun: in Ep 2, do you guys rem the Countess watching an opera? It's Mozart's Don Giovanni, Act 3 Scene something (I can't remember).
(Btw the music and the scene they showed do not actually correspond in the actual opera.) But basically, the scene has this guy Don Giovanni (seducer of 1000++ women) being dragged away against his will to Hell by the Devil.
Made me remember that she is an impersonization of Ishtar who also has an ambiguous love-life, and who draws bad luck to everyone she loves (Count Werdenberg, Madoka Terumichi). Don Giovanni and Ishtar are some closely tied characters, no?

Well, well, well however it is,
Thanks for reading,
- Vidar

Last edited by Vidar; 2004-04-14 at 10:05.
Vidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 09:00   Link #212
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

hmm... Kiyoko may represent the purity of mankind, but her child represents the purity of... mankind and gilgamesh? the merge of the purest of mankind with the purest of gilgamesh?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 10:01   Link #213
Vidar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
hmm... Kiyoko may represent the purity of mankind, but her child represents the purity of... mankind and gilgamesh? the merge of the purest of mankind with the purest of gilgamesh?
Her purity was lost as she slept with Novem. That's the subtext.
Old 2004-04-14, 10:20   Link #214
dreamless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidar
Her purity was lost as she slept with Novem. That's the subtext.
then the ending means the impure human/gilgamesh wins over the impure human/TEAR? wait, gilgamesh are created by TEAR, so in the end it's impure human/TEAR vs. impure human/TEAR?

it's more and more confusing @_@
Old 2004-04-14, 12:21   Link #215
Vidar

Quote:
then the ending means the impure human/gilgamesh wins over the impure human/TEAR? wait, gilgamesh are created by TEAR, so in the end it's impure human/TEAR vs. impure human/TEAR?

it's more and more confusing @_@
Absolutely ^_^

What purity after all? From its deranged look at the very end it is quite obvious that kiyoko/novem is not pure. But then again the oh so pure TEAr was not born from the rather pure love of two people (even though one consisted of anti-matter ) but from one woman's fear of loss and envy. Confusingly paradoxic >_<
Old 2004-06-17, 19:06   Link #216
Laiko

I just finished watching the whole series and i'd like to add some comments.
First off...the art at first glance was very...*new* (I have watched anime's from Trigun to Naruto) I didnt really like the art at first and went beyond 5eps of the series. As it went along the series really came through. I adapted to the art and was fine with it towards the end of the series. People dont like it because the art is very different then how other anime characters are drawn from other shows.

I would rabble on the things u guys have posted but am too busy to argue against u guys o.O.

PS: Does anyone agree with me that the towards the end of the show, it started getting very disturbing; as in the blood and etc? the pointless killing of each other and the convo between the characters? I was kind of shocked. Kind of remembed me of Narutaru
Laiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 20:44   Link #217
dreamless

I agree it's disturbing, but a different way of "disturbing" from Narutaru's... well, "disturbing". It's quite a dark and bleak series, one woman's jealousy killed all humans... now that's some extreme love stuff
Old 2004-06-18, 09:29   Link #218
pontupo
Mad Yoda Steez

Send a message via AIM to pontupo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laiko
I just finished watching the whole series and i'd like to add some comments.
First off...the art at first glance was very...*new* (I have watched anime's from Trigun to Naruto) I didnt really like the art at first and went beyond 5eps of the series. As it went along the series really came through. I adapted to the art and was fine with it towards the end of the series. People dont like it because the art is very different then how other anime characters are drawn from other shows.
I have to agree with you about the art. In the end, I thought that it was one of the few redeeming qualities of this series. It was interesting that the whole thing had a... oh I don't know, a pastel feeling to it. Does that make any sense?

Quote:
PS: Does anyone agree with me that the towards the end of the show, it started getting very disturbing; as in the blood and etc? the pointless killing of each other and the convo between the characters? I was kind of shocked.
As for this, YES!! I thought that the ending was completely lame and a total cop-out. It really had the feeling to me that they had no idea how they were going to end the series when they started it and then when they got there, they just couldn't come up with anything good, so they figured, "hey why not just have everyone die needlessly and pointlessly, then we will throw in a couple of random images to make everyone think really hard. Hopefully, they'll make up some meaning to this totally random and useless ending!" OK, ok. So that's a little harsh. But still, imo this show was really not worth it. I stuck with it through the whole thing because it was actually pretty interesting, but the ending blew big donkey balls. But then, I didn't like the end of Eva either, so what to I know.
pontupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-18, 09:46   Link #219
dreamless

kinda wodering if anyone has read the original manga? how faithful is the story taken from the manga?

Old 2004-06-18, 15:43   Link #220
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Does anyone agree with me that the towards the end of the show, it started getting very disturbing; as in the blood and etc? the pointless killing of each other and the convo between the characters?
I enoyed that very much actually... there was a whole bunch of episodes that was purely talking and plot development... then it just got all crazy... it was very entertaining to see all that...

Quote:
kinda wodering if anyone has read the original manga? how faithful is the story taken from the manga?
I did not even know there was a manga for this series... the character designs look so different... I also would like to know how close the manga and the anime stories are...