Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-01-28, 13:42   Link #1361
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Spell speed is really good for BLM on any fight with lots of movement: i.e. Titan EX and Ultima HM. Those are really the only two, though, so for the most part, elder staff will be a teensy bit better. But not much better.

I'm probably going to start running Titan as SMN instead since SMN's DPS doesn't drop a whole lot when moving as long as you keep your dots up and put Garuda-egi in a good spot. Even though I have more experience with EX than the rest of my FC through party finder learning groups, and my internet connection is better than theirs, my DPS is still terrible compared to the bard, dragoon and especially monk.

Titan EX is one of the few fights where melee gets near-100% uptime and ranged... well, doesn't.
Old 2014-01-29, 07:48   Link #1362
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I don't know if it's skill or luck or gear, but somehow I've completed Sunken "PUG-Killer" Temple with zero communications...

...But man did it make me work for it =_= Almost reminds my first time in of the other Sunken Temple... >_>
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 11:12   Link #1363
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Last night I finally got my drg's 2nd drop off Ultima after probably 30 or so runs, so now I am down to 3 pieces of darklight being used (1 ring, earring, and bracers... all drops from primals EX , though there are alternatives at least), and got my 1st piece of coil loot (drg gloves).

And I've started leveling White Mage, so far healing dungeons hasn't been too bad, though I have be queueing with a FC member leveling Warrior with me XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't know if it's skill or luck or gear, but somehow I've completed Sunken "PUG-Killer" Temple with zero communications...

...But man did it make me work for it =_= Almost reminds my first time in of the other Sunken Temple... >_>
Ah, that dungeon the wipes I've seen in PuGs , especially the 1st and last boss.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 11:33   Link #1364
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Ah, that dungeon the wipes I've seen in PuGs , especially the 1st and last boss.
I don't know if it's because I'm just that super duper awesome as a tank, but so far I haven't wiped once- But I swear it almost happened in this dungeon The last part of the final boss was pretty fun dodging lasers.
Old 2014-01-29, 13:27   Link #1365
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

You are late to the game. People already know what to do with their 2nd classes.

Then again, Sunken Temple is a pretty common wipe ground because tanks keep their mentality of tank and spank. GJ on 1x perfect.

Quote:
Wipes are still pretty common at Primals, esp EX. Speaking of which, I still haven't manage a proper PUG for even Coil 1.

Must have been running too much CT.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2014-01-29 at 13:44.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 13:34   Link #1366
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Wipes are still pretty common at Primals, esp EX. Speaking of which, I still haven't manage a proper PUG for even Coil 1.

Must have been running too much CT.
That's kinda of sad, all 3 of my kills on turns 1/2 have been PuGs .
MAL
Old 2014-01-29, 13:46   Link #1367
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
That's kinda of sad, all 3 of my kills on turns 1/2 have been PuGs .
The problem with Cadeucus is the feeding part. Bystander's effect plays a huge role in game psychology when nobody wants to do the dirty work. Once I had a BLM pulling slimes to the other half after it split and the other bard just stood there and rained arrows.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-01-29, 14:52   Link #1368
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Spell speed is really good for BLM on any fight with lots of movement: i.e. Titan EX and Ultima HM. Those are really the only two, though, so for the most part, elder staff will be a teensy bit better. But not much better.
Actually, SS wins out even in stationary fights, see here for the data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...zg4cnZxTDVkM1E

In real world usage, I think one is best served by a balanced approach, personally I’ve found that SS in the low 500s seems to work best for me as far as keeping the rotation flowing smoothly. Going with Elder(and losing that 37 SS) had a noticeable effect on the timing as I go through my rotation, but that’s also going to depend on what gears you have to choose from.

Quote:
I'm probably going to start running Titan as SMN instead since SMN's DPS doesn't drop a whole lot when moving as long as you keep your dots up and put Garuda-egi in a good spot.
Yea, I thought about going with my SMN as well (may try on Ifrit EX), but I’m not as experience with SMN atm. Also, I like BLM’s ability to burst down the gaolers like nobody’s business. On the first pair, I usually manage to drop 3 flares on the gaolers before the first WotL, 2 of which are fully boosted by RS and mega pot, which means 6k+ damage on each, depending on crit proc.

Quote:
The problem with Cadeucus is the feeding part. Bystander's effect plays a huge role in game psychology when nobody wants to do the dirty work. Once I had a BLM pulling slimes to the other half after it split and the other bard just stood there and rained arrows.
I think these days people usually have the off tank pull the slimes while the ranged DD help dps the slime down, though tbh any decent DD should be able to do it rather easily…

But, “after it split”? are you still spawning slimes after Caduceus split? Or was it just an accident?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 15:31   Link #1369
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Yes we are still spawning slimes to cut the steel scales. I thought that is the standard tactic?

Old 2014-01-29, 15:51   Link #1370
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Yes we are still spawning slimes to cut the steel scales. I thought that is the standard tactic?
I've never been in a successful group that tried to feed him post split, it's been 1-2 feeds before split and none post split, which should be fine as long you have someone triggering tail attack regularly on each to reduce the damage the tanks take.
MAL
Old 2014-01-29, 16:01   Link #1371
Jaden

We always stop spawning slimes after the split. The boss gets a stack of scales every 45 seconds, and it becomes unhealable at 5 stacks.

So if you time the split well, you have about 3min40s to do the split phase, which is doable. Feeding slimes also heals the boss, so you can kill it faster if you don't feed.

...Or maybe it's still healable with 5 stacks if you have melee harassing them from behind..dunno how that works.
Old 2014-01-29, 20:37   Link #1372
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Yea, I thought about going with my SMN as well (may try on Ifrit EX), but I’m not as experience with SMN atm. Also, I like BLM’s ability to burst down the gaolers like nobody’s business. On the first pair, I usually manage to drop 3 flares on the gaolers before the first WotL, 2 of which are fully boosted by RS and mega pot, which means 6k+ damage on each, depending on crit proc.
For Titan EX I think that BLM probably has the burst advantage here, yes, but on Twintania there's absolutely no contest.

We make sure to spawn conflags within 8y of Twintania, which enables me to Bane my dots from Twintania to the conflag, switch targets immediately, Garuda on the conflag, Raging Strikes > Ruin II > Fester > Ruin II > Energy Drain > Ruin II > Rouse/Spur (whichever is up). The damage is between 2k-3k depending on crits, and I'm using an i80 weapon on SMN with 15/15 since I also play scholar. SMN has a ton of damage abilities off the GCD, while BLM has none at all (Firestarter/Thundercloud procs are still going to cycle the GCD).

For conflags in TT phase 2, SMN kicks the ever-loving shit out of BLM for killing conflags. We're only having problems with this phase still because some DPS are slow to switch to conflags, which usually results in having only one or two DPS hitting it for the first two GCDs it's up.
Old 2014-01-30, 00:49   Link #1373
kyp275
Meh

Yea, BLM needs to have some sort of aoe targets to really shine, its single target damage potential is decent, but nothing to write home about.

For conflag, BLM really have to make sure they're ready in umbral 3 before it pops, having to go into recovery phase at the start or middle of conflag would utterly destroy its dps.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 05:59   Link #1374
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Titan was pretty scary with that aoe push attack 0_0 Scratch that no wipe record now...
Old 2014-01-31, 18:05   Link #1375
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I decided to pick this game up today. After installing it I registered with square enix ok but now I'm running into a problem. Every time I try to update the client with all the past patches I get a certain amount downloaded and then get an error.

It says:
Unable to update patch files
[11006] [20641] [20642] [20600]

I've tried a few suggestions after searching for similar errors on the web and I thought I had it by clicking off "read only" in the preferences but I got about half way through the 5+ gig download and just got the same error message.

Let me know if anyone has some ideas. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Old 2014-01-31, 23:36   Link #1376
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

when i was updating my download stops numerous times, from what i can remember it downloads a bunch of 1.3gb files, so if you half downloaded a 5gb files, when you go to restart the patch it should say 2.5 gb remaining. pay attention to the last bit in the file name like 0000c after it downloads about 1.3gb it should change to 0000d that means the previous file is done and you wont have to download it again even if the download stops,
Old 2014-02-01, 01:15   Link #1377
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I know one thing that caused me an issue with the updater the first time was that I had set my My Documents folder to be synchronized/backed-up, and though I had installed the game to a different drive, the patches were still being download into the FF XIV folder in My Documents, and so was being synced. In the end I had to disable the inner downloads folder from the sync in order for it to not interfere with the patcher.

(I realize this is like super niche use case and probably not the issue... but just throwing it out there.)

And yeah, even if it does fail during a download, it seems pretty good about picking back up where it left off, though the percent resets to 0% (just with a smaller total file size to download).
Old 2014-02-01, 01:49   Link #1378
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

it doesnt start from exactally where it left off it downloads the file you were up to again, like if you finish 0000b and you moved on to halfway between 0000c before your download stops, when you start up the download again you will start at the begining of 0000c
Old 2014-02-01, 09:15   Link #1379
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Not sure why but I tried it a few more times and it finally just kept downloading. I really have no idea why it worked lol, but hey I'll take it.

Now it's time for me to spend an hour on character creation lol.
Old 2014-02-01, 12:40   Link #1380
holybell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
For Titan EX I think that BLM probably has the burst advantage here, yes, but on Twintania there's absolutely no contest.

We make sure to spawn conflags within 8y of Twintania, which enables me to Bane my dots from Twintania to the conflag, switch targets immediately, Garuda on the conflag, Raging Strikes > Ruin II > Fester > Ruin II > Energy Drain > Ruin II > Rouse/Spur (whichever is up). The damage is between 2k-3k depending on crits, and I'm using an i80 weapon on SMN with 15/15 since I also play scholar. SMN has a ton of damage abilities off the GCD, while BLM has none at all (Firestarter/Thundercloud procs are still going to cycle the GCD).

For conflags in TT phase 2, SMN kicks the ever-loving shit out of BLM for killing conflags. We're only having problems with this phase still because some DPS are slow to switch to conflags, which usually results in having only one or two DPS hitting it for the first two GCDs it's up.
For short conflags, each dps must do at least 3k worth of dmg, with the off-tank doing the rest. Since I am a full intel i90 smn, my rotation for short conflags is: after the long conflag, bio2->miasma->bio->contagion->shadowflare. When someone got hit by fireball, cast rouse. When short conflag is up, bane, switch target, obey + fester, ruin spam, use ruin2 if needed. For the long one, just make sure u have at least 10s of each dot left and shadow flare, bane, obey and ruin spam.

Tags
mmorpg