AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-18, 03:41   Link #21
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Somehow I'm think TS want something more casual rather a fantasy or adventure title... Maybe something with comedy aspect and with teenage non/mild-romance relationship where they can laugh and chat together awhile watching it.
That why I'm recommend Ookiku Furikabutte at my first recommendation, basically that are adaptation from baseball manga written by women author, so male-to-male relationship on this title is kinda interesting for a girl to watch it (don't worry its not a BL) and you will get fun together with your sister because the jokes is funny, the baseball game itself fascinating to watch, and maybe you two have a fun discussion about you and another-male relationship whether like shown in that anime too or not, or you can try Hyakko (if your sister age is 12-or so)too, if you two enjoy Minami-ke surely can enjoy this one too.

@scanner
why not
Old 2010-05-18, 07:13   Link #22
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Shounen Onmyouji may be another choice.

I keep thinking of new ones everyday, lol.
Old 2010-05-18, 09:13   Link #23
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Those recommend me KissxSis and Koi Kaze.... don't you guys have heart (, -___-), . What if i really didn't know what are they about.... xD
"Liking your own sister is just a fantasy of guys who don't have one" - Arararagi. I loves her as a family member through, but even I realised that i'm a bit overprotective.....

Anyway.... she's 15, quite close to your guess there. Walt Disney recently started to target teens and I seriously hate them with all my guts since all of my favourite childhood cartoons became cash-cows with all those new crappy episodic sequences.

Thank guys the list was quite long, let's see:
Quote:
ARIA (too slice-of-life even for me few years ago, may pick it up sometime through)
Sketchbook ~Full Colors (same )
Umi Monogatari (pretty good in my book, but i'm not sure if girls will like the shj-ai aspect of it?)
Summer Wars (already in my definitely watch, i may call up my brother when we did too)
Toradora! (can't bear to rewatch it again)
Code Geass (failed to get through once, and was spoiled too much)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (i like it, but wouldn't it be too "moe" for girl?)
Hayate the Combat Butler (we both already are reading the manga)
Read or Die (the last time we watch on that anime cable channel, i was annoyed with how she keeps asking if Anita and Maggie was yuri. Well i want to tell her "yes", but i'm not sure if she can enjoy yuri as much as i do. So i kept my silence)
Magic Knight Rayearth (sorry, the only group i hate in the history of anime/manga is CLAMP)
Windy Tales( the art is a bit weird)
Higepiyo ( i will personally pass)
Noein(failed to get through once)
Saiunkoku Monogatari (showed her once, both she and I failed at ep 3)
Twelve Kingdoms(pretty good rank in my book, would girl like it through?)
Claymore ( i doubt if she would like it)
Ookiku Furikabutte & Cross Game (my guess is she would complaint as she do not know the rule)
Princess Tutu (would it be too childish?)
Hyakko (watched it, seriously loved it. Do girls like this kind of show through?)
Nijuu Mensou no Musume (it was interesting but i stalled it for a long time, may pick it up then),
So let's see:
1st options: Dennou Coil, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
2nd options: Shion no Ou, Chi's Sweet Home, Angelic Layer, Tweeny Witches,Shounen Onmyouji
3rd options: Kaleido Star, Crest of the Stars, Nodame Cantabile, Moribito

Anyone wanna narrow my list down? Let's just add Bakemonogatari in as well but not sure if harem show could interest girl

You see. I can spend time to watch fairly interesting show, and she probably would not mind if i recommend. But i want something really interesting that both of us can really enjoy (which so far was only Minami-ke and The girl who leapt through time.

PS: Of course Ghibli movies was my first try. Not only it failed to interest her, it failed to interest me too (in my case mostly i felt all of Ghibli ending unsatisfied). btw i would never get close even with a stick to unhappy ending such as "5 cm per second"

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-18 at 10:41.
Old 2010-05-18, 09:39   Link #24
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Well, I know my sisters always liked Tenchi Universe, so I guess harems (with low fanservice) can appeal to girls

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-05-18, 09:57   Link #25
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Blah my recommendation not even considered
I'm guess you pass it because the baseball eh... But I'm still believe that a perfect title to watch with your sis, ah... I want to have little sister too...

Btw your 1st options already rite, but I'm still have a little doubt about Dennou Coil, maybe its too complex.
Old 2010-05-18, 10:30   Link #26
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Those recommend me KissxSis and Koi Kaze.... don't you guys have heart (, -___-), . What if i really didn't know what are they about.... xD
"Liking your own sister is just a fantasy of guys who don't have one" - Arararagi. I loves her as a family member through, but even I realised that i'm a bit overprotective.....
Yeah, I could not laugh at those series that pokes fun at brother-sister relationships if I had one, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Well, I know my sisters always liked Tenchi Universe, so I guess harems (with low fanservice) can appeal to girls
I think they are okay if the protagonist is desirable, as in not a total loser.
Old 2010-05-18, 10:53   Link #27
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Blah my recommendation not even considered
I'm guess you pass it because the baseball eh... But I'm still believe that a perfect title to watch with your sis, ah... I want to have little sister too...

Btw your 1st options already rite, but I'm still have a little doubt about Dennou Coil, maybe its too complex.
Yeah, my mistake, i missed the name of Shounen Onmyouji and Ookiku Furikabutte when talked about baseball. Since she do not know anything about the rule. May try through but not sure if i can be success.

About all the siscon thing.... If it has a chance of happen, then well i probably would feel kind of uncomfortable or slightly offensive . But yeah i don't think of her as anything out of a younger sister, so feel free to poke fun about it. In fact if you know me in real life, most of the guys here probably can find some good siscon materials from us since she cling to me quite a bit.
However, i have a switch at how people keeps poking fun at me and my cousin, so never mention cousin incest in my presence

So yeah: Dennou Coil, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Nijuu Mensou no Musume, Hyakko..... one of them would be my next try. Could try Bakemonogatari first since i think it have a high chance of failure. Free to give out more comment
Old 2010-05-18, 11:06   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Bakemonogatari probably isn't even worth trying...

A late recommendation: Arakawa Under The Bridge
Old 2010-05-18, 11:25   Link #29
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
i agree dont try bakemonogatari...its kind of trippy.
Kemono no Souja Erin might fit.
Old 2010-05-18, 11:39   Link #30
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Ah... forgot to mention that she really like Yotsuba! and Azumanga Daioh as well. The manga through.

Suddenly remember that when have a look at Kemono no Souja
Old 2010-05-18, 11:43   Link #31
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Ah... forgot to mention that she really like Yotsuba! and Azumanga Daioh as well. The manga through.

Suddenly remember that when have a look at Kemono no Souja
Well I assume one of the reasons is, based on Yotsuba and AzuDai, is that one of the main protagonists is very young?

Going on that, your best bet is to start off with the recommendations that have a main character that's either really young or early teens.

I'll take a shot in the dark and recommend Aishiteruze Baby.
Old 2010-05-18, 11:48   Link #32
Scorch

Last Exile might be worth looking into. It doesn't really have anything I'd call inappropriate, and it's a fun show for most ages.
Old 2010-05-18, 12:10   Link #33
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Sounds like your sister is one for slice of life with a bit of comedy, so it'll be worth checking out Ichigo Mashimaro.
Old 2010-05-18, 12:34   Link #34
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Let's see:
Fukatoi Alternative (comedy, some light-romance, story-line may be a bit confusing)
Seitokai no Ichizon (full comedy and slice of life! I think you and your sister will love this)
Great Teacher Onizuka (not sure if it's appropriate or not, it's quite old but has pretty much a majority of the main genres combined, very long too)
~including the Live Action~
Seirei no Moribito (great plot and fighting)

Just a few to throw out there.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
Old 2010-05-18, 16:49   Link #35
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hidamari Sketch has a lot in common with Azumanga Daioh though the artwork is much more stylized since it's by SHAFT/Shinbo.

As for Twelve Kingdoms and/or Claymore, my daughter watched and enjoyed both of those when she was around your sister's age, but she also plays JRPGs and isn't put off by bloodshed. I'd strongly recommend Twelve Kingdoms if you promise me you'll hang tough through the first half-dozen episodes or so until a certain, fairly unusual character appears. It gets progressively more compelling after that.

Glad to see Kemono no Sou-ja Erin hasn't fallen off the list.
Old 2010-05-18, 17:27   Link #36
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sounds like your sister is one for slice of life with a bit of comedy, so it'll be worth checking out Ichigo Mashimaro.
That's exactly what I was going to recommend after reading the first post, especially since she liked Minami-ke. Minami Kana is Miu's older version after all

And considering her tastes, I'd say Hidamari Sketch and Sketchbook are the best recommendations here. Also seconding Dennou coil. Twelve Kingdoms is amazing, but I'm not sure it will suit her tastes. Still, it might be good to broaden her horizons.

As for something that wasn't recommended yet: how about School Rumble?
Old 2010-05-18, 20:26   Link #37
StrawHatLuffy23

Skip Beat is a good one
Old 2010-05-18, 21:16   Link #38
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Sorry guys, if I show you my long watched, stalled and dropped list, then i guess no one would bother to recommend after looking through it. I will tired myself out looking through also

New list then:
Arakawa Under The Bridge ( have no idea what is it about, i like Shaft through)
Kemono no Souja (look good)
Last Exile (look good too)
Fukatoi Alternative (i like the art and plot -> 1st option, i don't like the original Fukatoi though)
Aishiteruze Baby( the plot is interesting)
Ichigo Mashimaro (really? It's in my "want to watch list" as well -> 1st option)
Seitokai no Ichizon & Great Teacher Onizuka (i watched both... but it feels kind of uncomfortable for me if i sit next to my sisters when they play dirty jokes)
Hidamari Sketch (i really like Hidamari Sketch as well... could be a good recommendation)
Skip Beat (some one please tell me that it's not too much shoujo... then i would put it into 1st option. )
School Rumble (showed her once, she seems to like it for few hours, then completely forgot about it)

The problem of Sketchbook is i can't get through it xD
Now i have quite a long list actually. Any recommendation to cut them down somehow? Like the case with Bakemonogatari

PS: here is the new list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those i watched, but don't mind to rewatch
Twelve Kingdoms
Hyakko
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Hidamari Sketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by those i haven't seen yet
1st options (those i'm interested in): Dennou Coil, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0,Fukatoi Alternative, Ichigo Mashimaro
2nd options (random reasons): Shion no Ou, Chi's Sweet Home, Angelic Layer, Tweeny Witches,Shounen Onmyouji,Kemono no Souja,Aishiteruze Baby, Skip Beats, Moribito,
3rd options: Kaleido Star, Crest of the Stars, Nodame Cantabile, Arakawa Under The Bridge, Last Exile

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2010-05-18 at 21:32.
Old 2010-05-18, 21:18   Link #39
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I'll second Seiriei no Moribito, Both my sisters loved it.

Last edited by Poetic Justice; 2010-05-18 at 21:40.
Old 2010-05-18, 21:39   Link #40
StrawHatLuffy23

Skip Beat is shoujo, but I think anyone can like it. Some romance but mostly comedy
Closed Thread

Tags
children, girls