Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-14, 12:47   Link #61
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for future episode titles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
After this show has finished, i'm pretty sure Gekka the Jellyfish will still be my favorite character.

Who wants to place bets that Gekka will turn out to be the evil one?
Gekka?
I think... Ouka. It's always the least likely ones... -_-
Though as far as I can see, only Hyouka and Kyouka (who the heck decided to end the names with -ka...) are super destructive...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-04-14, 12:50   Link #62
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
After this show has finished, i'm pretty sure Gekka the Jellyfish will still be my favorite character.

Who wants to place bets that Gekka will turn out to be the evil one?
I think they missed one and it's not even in the house, probably wrong though.
Old 2008-04-14, 12:50   Link #63
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
ya i mean isn't the white haired girl supposed to show up?
i dont' even know if she has "enka" in her tho
Old 2008-04-14, 12:53   Link #64
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Gekka?
I think... Ouka. It's always the least likely ones... -_-
Though as far as I can see, only Hyouka and Kyouka (who the heck decided to end the names with -ka...) are super destructive...
Yeah it's always the last likely ones, that's why i wanna keep my eye of Gekka. If we go at least five episodes and we don't see anything from her, then i'll go with her being the evil one.

Though knowing this series, it'll be none of them or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I think they missed one and it's not even in the house, probably wrong though.
She's shown in the OP, probably make an appearance sometime soon.
Old 2008-04-14, 13:05   Link #65
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
She's shown in the OP, probably make an appearance sometime soon.
Also from the OP, she seems attached to Ginka.
Kyouka-Ouka (wife-husband)
Teika-Yuuka (mount)
Hyouka-Gekka (er...)
New girl/somethingka-Ginka (lovers?)

What a harmonious family.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-04-14, 13:39   Link #66
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah it's always the innocent ones that turn out evil. So Yuka, Ouka, Gekka, or the gay one. But really they are probably going to use reverse psychology so obviously the evil one is Kyouka. At the very least the greatest cause of trouble for Ouka .

Should be quite the interesting family to follow.
Old 2008-04-14, 13:42   Link #67
Eviltape

The only thing that can describe the series so far is

OTL
Old 2008-04-14, 15:23   Link #68
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
more like:

TMI
Old 2008-04-14, 16:21   Link #69
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
O M G... W T F?

*facepalms*

Edit: Oh, and before anyone is getting this wrong: I liked the first episode alot! Also, the OP has been on repeat for the last half hour, so I guess my music taste must be fairly off the norm. Good ^_^
I couldn't have said better myself. What the FREAKING F***?!

Between this and Kamen no Maid Guy, I think my batshit crazy anime is in total overload this season. While Maid Guy was much funnier for me, this was just outragousely insane. So much so I want to watch more of it. O_O

Since no Haruhi in the near future, I'd like to think this would be its replacement; kinda like a look in the future if she and Kyon started adopting aliens as thier children. Scary part is, I don't think that it's very far off the truth...

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2008-04-14, 16:29   Link #70
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The good thing about this show is that everyone in the show takes it serious. It's not one of those LOOK AT ME WE'RE DOING CRAZY THINGS. It's a family packed with madness, and no one seems to bother. Just look at that crowd surrounding Oka, Teika (Lion) & Hyoka (robot).
Old 2008-04-14, 17:04   Link #71
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDOS_GRANDE View Post
Is this in HD
It's broadcast in 1080i here in tokyo, but it's pretty clearly an upscale from an SD source. Still looks pretty nice, though.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-04-14, 17:07   Link #72
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
did you ever actually see a native 1080p anime? 0.0
hrmm would be pretty nice to see something like that *_*
almost everything seem like an SD upscale nowdays..
except for maybe ghost hound.. that actually look like 720p or so..
Old 2008-04-14, 17:15   Link #73
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'm pretty sure Gundam 00 aired in native 720p, and so do a lot of high profile series. I don't know about 1080p though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2008-04-14, 17:33   Link #74
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm pretty sure Gundam 00 aired in native 720p, and so do a lot of high profile series. I don't know about 1080p though.
HDTV in japan is 1080i (technically 1150i, but that's another story). So even if a show WAS animated at 1080p there's no way to know until it gets released on blu-ray.
Because of that, 1080p is pretty much only movies. It's possible that Gundam 00 was actually animated in 1080p, since the blu-rays coming out are 1080p, but at some point it's sort of academic, since CG can be rendered at any resolution you want, and cels can be "scanned" in at any resolution... The question is more "does the show look any better encoded at 720p than 1080p"? And we can debate that .

(we'll definitely know if it was designed only for 720, though, if you see loads of aliasing on the CG for a blu-ray 1080p release).

Other definitely high def shows I've seen recently: True Tears, macross frontier, yes pretty cure 5, one piece, gegege no kitaro (I think), hakaba no kitaro moyashimon and basically all the noitamina block shows... soul eater was HD... yeah, plenty of them are 720p or better.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2008-04-14, 17:47   Link #75
Jiyuu

i meant something that actually has details fitting 1080p,
as you said anything can be scanned/rendered to 1080p,
what matters is if there are a lot of gradient/solid colors in the image or does it actually fill all that space with details..
for example i watched the blu-ray version of paprika and that defiantly had shitloads of info, so much that it really filled the 720p space, it could have fitted 1080 as well but then there would have been some dead spaces i think,
ghost hound has more details then SD for sure' it would be totally crowded in an SD frame if you wanted to keep all of the info in it..
soul eater also looks pretty 720 but I'd have to say it has less info then say ghost hound..
I'm asking if you saw something that actually had 1080p level of info in it..
Old 2008-04-14, 17:49   Link #76
Mentar
Banned

There is a general widespread misconception about "SD" or "HD" sources in my most humble opinion. Anime is drawn, not rendered. The difference between sources is, like a professional once explained in a cute way: "The difference? We use bigger sheets". And later, these sheets are being digitized in different resolutions. Again, there is no such thing as inherent "720p" or "1080i" anime, only animation in different frame sizes and detail levels.

Many shows have parts of different detail levels intermixed. It was particularly visible in Shana S2, where several sequences of "poor" quality alternated with other sequences with much higher quality. So what is this show? SD? HD? When it's aired on digital television, the Transport Stream is generally 1440x1080 pixels, no matter what quality the animation itself has. Now what?

There are two general indicators which in my book come closest in determining whether a release should get a hires release or not:

1) Median size of clean raws. In general, if most good-quality 1280x720 raws end up clearly below 400 MB per episode, it's usually an indicator that the source is on the lower end and should be treated as such. An example could be the (terribly disappointing) 1280x720 raws from Clannad Widescreen, which usually stayed below 300 MB. And if shows consistently end up above 500 MB, it is inappropriate to treat them as SD.

2) Line thickness. The reason for it is simple: In most normal animation parts, line thickness of character animations are more or less a constant. This means that via line thickness, you can gauge the size of the source animation frame - the "thinner" the line seems to be, the larger and usually the more detailed the drawn source frame is. With several 1440x1080 sources, you run into trouble when you resize down to 704x400 (which I regularly do for the xvid avi release). When by resizing down you end up with lines "disappearing" in places (since they end up only 1 pixel wide), then I disagree with a source being called SD. Because then, resizing down to SD resolutions should not "destroy" details like lines.

Based on this, I disagree with calling Kyouran SD. In several places, lines were "in danger" in the downscale. Also, all properly encoded 1280x720 raws I saw were above 500 MB (the one I used even above 550 MB).

There are many shows which are merely SD. Out of those shows I worked on recently, for example, Rental Magica. Or Clannad. Kyouran has many parts which are indeed SD material, but also enough others which are not.

Anyway, that's why I answered the "is it HD?" question indirectly. Heck, I even had qualified encoders seriously call Geass R2 SD, simply because it didn't quite reach the detail level of for example Gundam 00. These are labels which don't really help. It's more "which resolution is the right one to encode a show in". And here, I'm absolutely sticking by 1280x720 for Kyouran.
Old 2008-04-14, 17:59   Link #77
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
[...] but at some point it's sort of academic, since CG can be rendered at any resolution you want, and cels can be "scanned" in at any resolution... The question is more "does the show look any better encoded at 720p than 1080p"? And we can debate that .
Amen to that. Our postings were kinda crossing each other at the same time. And that's the key distinction which REALLY matters. Though the question is usually more "should it be encoded in 720p or 480/400p".

Based on my note above, I really think that downscaling Kyouran to 704x400 would have done much more damage than just keeping it at 1280x720.
Old 2008-04-14, 18:15   Link #78
Jiyuu

about the raw size i guess i can see the sense in that, more size=more info to be encoded.
but the problem with that is that it can simply mean a huge amount of action, so if a "calm" series is about 400 and an action based one is 500 its not necessarily a case of higher "detail"..
but all in all i guess you can at least get an estimate using that method..

about your second point, in general i will agree, the most important thing is not losing data..
but using the lines as a measure is only ok as long as the broadcasters aren't using some kind of filters on the video when upscaling it could cause the lines to get thinner (thou i don't really think they do those kind of things, but you can never really know uh? XD)
or they could rescan the originals which were meant for sd and make a higher resolution scan which i think will also cause the lines to be thinner (i think digital upscaling causes lines to grow in a way that is easy to tell, and of course is easier to downscale back without having to deal with disappearing lines, while with scanning the lines will be thinner and thus may have trouble downscaling)
Old 2008-04-14, 18:34   Link #79
Mentar
Banned

Anyway, let's get back to the anime discussion. The technical parts don't really belong here, come to think of it
Old 2008-04-14, 19:03   Link #80
mandarb916

Just a little input on 1080p native anime...
the new AIR OP was redone in 1080p and looks amazing....I didn't think anime could benefit so much from 1080p, but it was seriously really crazy.

So, after watching ep1...i still stick with my comment about kyoka's actress being really talented...tongue twisting voice over done really well...props to her :P
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kemonomimi, loli, shounen