AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-10-08, 03:12   Link #61
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
So, how is this show GA-REI? I dont see anything about GA-REI from it... Different story, different characters - they should not have called it GA-REI to begin with.

They could have easily called it Clannad, Shakugan No Shana or Zero No Tsukaima...it would make just as much sense...
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 03:50   Link #62
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

First episode consisted of a whole lot of action, a whole lot of blood, and a whole lot of WTF. Great for generating interest. Not so great if it's solely designed to generate interest without a legitimate plot related explanation.

Should the premises set in the first episode remain valid for the entire duration of the series, there's no way these casualties can be ignored and quietly swept under the rug. Until this is addressed quickly somehow, I can't say I want to take this show seriously.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 03:54   Link #63
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

All I gotta say is... WTF?!?!

If its a new cast every episode, I think I'm gonna drop it.. it feels pointless if it comes to that... I prefer character development than just cool action with shallow characters...
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 04:19   Link #64
That1GuyTim
Moe~ Moe~ Kyun~
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to That1GuyTim Send a message via MSN to That1GuyTim
What if we look at the first episode as the last episode. Then, starting next episode it goes back in a sort of flash back and the rest of the episodes lead up to the first one.

That's just my theory of what it could be though.
That1GuyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 04:23   Link #65
Zhaxra

Definitely liked this one. The ending was unexpected but I loved the fact that the end credits had no music and no images. It really prolonged the 'wtf' factor of the ending. That was a brilliant touch.

I wonder if the 'other' group, the 'Ministry of the Environment' (according to the sub) was behind the ending's surprise. Probably not, but it sounded like they were up to no good.

I went into this blind (no knowledge of the manga it's based off of), and it's looking to be a must watch for me this season.
Old 2008-10-08, 04:38   Link #66
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Zhaxra, knowing manga would not add anything because this has no connection with the manga except for the name.

And if its flashbeck... Would it be interesting watching it if you know everyone die in the end? For me it definitely would not be interesting.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 04:41   Link #67
Fevvers
a regular van veen

First episode reminds me of Parasite Eve, Silent Hill and their ilk, not that that's a bad thing once in a while. It has cheese factor, yeah, but it still seems interesting regardless.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 06:08   Link #68
Casshern

So the producers aimed at giving the viewers a wtf(!) moment and succeded for the most part. I was pretty impressed and it's definitely grabbed my attention.

The animation and artwork was pretty good. I thought the motorcycle-combat was cool for the first couple of seconds, but it became a bit cheesy when she started flicking the motorcycle all over the place like she was riding a broomstick.

And yeah, Natsuki w/motorcycle obviously reminded me of Kuga Natsuki w/ Ducati DR3. The two Natsuki even look similar. Btw, anyone recognise what type of bike she's riding?
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 06:39   Link #69
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm betting that..

Spoiler for ep 1:

@Darknemo2000: I'm betting that the boy is definitely a manga character.
Old 2008-10-08, 06:52   Link #70
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

This was one of the most disturbing and weird first episodes of all times

If this should be the "end" why should we watch the rest, we know what will happen to all characters ...

Arghs
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 07:24   Link #71
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I literally had to boo them for killing off all the members or most of them if some of them had survived.

That said, the show was well made and all. But killing everyone in the first ep? I'm a little peeved about that..
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 07:39   Link #72
Joachim
et tu, brute?

reserving my judgement until 2 or 3 more episodes air, the bgm didn't really click with me though, but the action scene did, and yea the gore fest
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 07:40   Link #73
Casshern

Well really the thing that gave the shock factor was making the viewer think Natsuki is the main character by having her look cool and giving her alot of screen time and then killing her off. We got punked.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 07:43   Link #74
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuromancer View Post
Well really the thing that gave the shock factor was making the viewer think Natsuki is the main character by having her look cool and giving her alot of screen time and then killing her off. We got punked.
And like others have said, all that exposure from the official website, the magazine ads, the official series previews, etc etc made out the team to be the main focus. I guess it still could be in various ways (RAISE THE DEAD), but yeah.. punked bigtime.

As for the music, I agree it was pretty cheesy. To me that was the one sticking point. Otherwise, pretty decent and shocking showing. It gradually became more intense as the episode went on. Hell, too many intense first eps this season. Just about all the shows that hasn't been fansubbed yet are VERY intense.

My heart can't take this season's shows....
Old 2008-10-08, 07:48   Link #75
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
And like others have said, all that exposure from the official website, the magazine ads, the official series previews, etc etc made out the team to be the main focus. I guess it still could be in various ways (RAISE THE DEAD), but yeah.. punked bigtime.

As for the music, I agree it was pretty cheesy. To me that was the one sticking point. Otherwise, pretty decent and shocking showing. It gradually became more intense as the episode went on. Hell, too many intense first eps this season. Just about all the shows that hasn't been fansubbed yet are VERY intense.

My heart can't take this season's shows....
please give me the list of the shows that haven't been fansubbed yet very intense, ill try watching the raw, i am all up for intense show

yea gotta agree, the music was.. err so-so and pretty cheesy, but gotta give props to the action scene though. like i said before, i need to reserve my judgement for this series, we'll see how the actually play the plot after killing all the "supposed to be" main cast
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 07:59   Link #76
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, One Outs was pretty intense in the good old Akagi style, Mouryou no Hako looks like a pretty good horror/mystery drama, Jigoku no Shoujo 3 basically looks better than ever, ef is already testing my drama-meter, etc.

Since I'm basically an anime-omnivore, I might be forced to watch everything that is subbed. So far, I'm pretty damn impressed with the current showings for the most part. Even if they may not all be must-watches, the lot of them make for a good enough watches.

I'm really anticipating the three shows I've listed above though. They deserve a decent subbing effort from what I've seen so far.
Old 2008-10-08, 10:01   Link #77
TrueKnight

LMAO lol bizarre first episode! They literally killed all the characters in the website. God, they've completely fooled us. -_-;

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
I'm betting that the boy is definitely a manga character.
I'm with you. I get the feeling that this has got to be the prologue of the manga.

Spoiler:
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 10:42   Link #78
jsieczkar

My thoughts echo what many others have all ready said. The first episode has caught my attention but I don't really have a positive or a negative view on the show. Episode 2 will have bring together the plot of the show because there was no real definable plot from episode 1. Is it a show about the top level people and a bunch of disposable ground troops with no character development? Or are we going to be seeing a new crew of ground pounders that the show will revolve around?

In the end the show seems to have potential to be good, which only 2 other shows have done so far in this season. The negatives so far, the music was corny and didn't add much to the atmosphere, techno when the cast is getting cut down?

I do hope that a different group picks up the show, the biggest WTF moment was the editors note explaining who Led Zeppelin was.
jsieczkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 11:00   Link #79
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Right...then...

Well that was pretty much a textbook exercise in style above substance to say the least. I can't decide if killing the entire main cast made it more interesting or just added a cheap layer of shock factor to a show that was already trying too hard at being "cool". *shrug*

Probably will keep watching atleast until next episode just to see how the follow up the end of episode 1...

Atleast watching Natsuki fling that bike around like a blunt weapon was worth a laugh...Although I really can't believe they had the balls to use a character with the same name, affection for motorcycles, somewhat stoic personality, and a generally similarish character design to the Natsuki most of us are familiar with...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-08, 11:08   Link #80
TrueKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi
Atleast watching Natsuki fling that bike around like a blunt weapon was worth a laugh...Although I really can't believe they had the balls to use a character with the same name, affection for motorcycles, somewhat stoic personality, and a generally similarish character design to the Natsuki most of us are familiar with...
The only difference is that this Natsuki is not a lesbian, less tsundere and actually knows bike-fu. The way she swings her bike reminds me of Eva from Metal Gear Solid 3, just so corny and ridiculous lol.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen