AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-22, 01:14   Link #1
jpwong

FMA Dub

English site is finally up properly http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com
If you head over to http://www.fullmetalalchemist.com/dvd.htm you can watch 2 dub video clips where you can hear what Ed, Al, Rose and Conero all sound like.

Looks like the first DVD's release date is now officially Feb 8, 2005
Old 2004-10-22, 01:28   Link #2
WristBandMan

His quest will determine the ultimate fate of an entire nation...

americans just love this don't they... Zatoichi, Hero... all of them this freaking line, even when it doesn't matter.

and

Al’s body was sealed inside a suit of armor.

right....
Old 2004-10-22, 09:51   Link #3
Eskay

Granted the dubbing itself isnt horrible, i still shuddered with disgust when i heard their voices. Guess thats what happens when you've been watching the original for over a year....
Old 2004-10-22, 10:56   Link #4
dew

You get used to them. When they played dubbed ep 1 at Otakon, there was a massive groan when Edward spoke, but the crowd seemed to get into it after a few minutes.
Old 2004-10-22, 12:45   Link #5
zarkand

Just based on the two trailers that were posted, Rose and Cornello, were pretty good. Just on a personal opinion, despite being voiced by an adult, I thought Ed sounded a little too young. Same goes for Al, the voice actor sound a bit too young and also needed a better serious tone. There is room for improvement, but I can't wait to see a full episode to get a better view on the range of the voice actors.

Just on a side note I am looking over at anime news network's list of the voice actors, and it seems they are using voice actors with only a few shows under their belt, FMA being their first major role. Exceptions being Vic Mignogna (Edward), Sonny Strait (Maes Hughes), Dameon Clarke (Scar), Chris Sabat (Alex Louis Armstrong), Chuck Huber (Shou Tucker), and Laura Bailey (Lust). I wonder if this is a attempt to train more voice actors for all their other licenses.
Old 2004-10-22, 13:23   Link #6
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
OMG that is the worst possible voice 0_O
I think they all hated it and didn't want to annoy the hell out of everyone buy complaining every time he said somthing.

Al's voice is ok...as you said he needs to sound more serious
Old 2004-10-22, 14:42   Link #7
yuwing
mr. panty thief

al sounds like a robot... maybe its on purpose by the dubbers (since he is in a suit of armor...) but in the original he doesn't sound like a robot!

but maybe its just different skill levels.... al's dubber is a kid i think and he doesn't sound like he's getting into it... rather just reading the script...

all in all... needs expression and more feeling....
Old 2004-10-22, 23:29   Link #8
Altimit

Al's voice sounds differen't but isn't too bad, but Ed's voice and the way they decided to have him speak is horrible. "Wrong! Holy Man!" Give me a break. I doubt I'll be buying the DVDs.
Old 2004-10-23, 00:13   Link #9
zarkand

I think that Ed's voice actor is better than Al. I remember reading an interview with a director were they said that the kid they have for Al is inexperienced voice actor. I'd expect improvements for both of them, so I wouldn't write the dub out yet.
Old 2004-10-23, 09:36   Link #10
Gravi-T
Rockin' Alchemist

It is in my opinion that the dub (at least what was shown in the clips) was REALLY bad. Could they GET a worse voice actor for Al? Why couldn't they do what Japanese anime companies do and get a female to voice a boy's voice?

And Ed... Ed... oh, Ed!!! WTF?!

Why did he sound so Pokémon/Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh!-ish? Why couldn't he have normal voice (like Al's voice, it's normal, although not well-acted, but it's still normal and not american anime-y!)??

The only decent voice in those clips was Roze. Cornello sounded too weird. And if I were Al, I wouldn't want to sit alone in the same room as that priest.
Old 2004-10-23, 10:00   Link #11
Menshi

http://www.adultswim.com/misc/funimation/index.html Few behind the scene things, questions answered.
Old 2004-10-23, 10:28   Link #12
Copy Ninja Kakashi

http://www.adultswim.com/misc/funima.../mignogna.html

He was also watching fansubbed FMA....
Old 2004-10-23, 14:22   Link #13
WristBandMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by that vigno guy
ST: Is there something you do to get yourself into character?

I've really enjoyed watching the shows ahead of time. Don't tell anybody this, but I don't really watch any of the shows beforehand, in all the voice work that I've ever done. We don't get the shows ahead of time, so you walk in and you're like "Oh, so that's what he does and so that's what he says. And it's completely new

let me continue the rest of the paragraph in one sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by that vigno guy
THAT"S WHY WE SUCK!!!
Old 2004-10-23, 15:27   Link #14
state_alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimit
Al's voice sounds differen't but isn't too bad, but Ed's voice and the way they decided to have him speak is horrible. "Wrong! Holy Man!" Give me a break. I doubt I'll be buying the DVDs.
I agree, I think that Al's voice isn't that bad in the dub, it's what I expected. And another thing that expected was that they wouldn't be able to do Ed's at all. I think the voice actor does a good job, but he makes Ed sound older than he really is. He really doesn't sound like he should. Also the way he speaks, I think we can blame that on the guy that translated it into the english script or whoever changed it from what is was orginally.
Old 2004-10-24, 11:47   Link #15
Mildoe
Mildoe Squad

OMG...Al sounds like he's speaking through a bucket the whole time :S
I don't like US voices tbh...they sound so corny...
Old 2004-10-24, 13:30   Link #16
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildoe
OMG...Al sounds like he's speaking through a bucket the whole time :S
I don't like US voices tbh...they sound so corny...
In my opinon, the reason you don't see very quality voice acting is because anime isn't a big business here and many companies seem to assume the VA quality isn't as important as turning every anime into a super plotless action show...

That is what companies, for some reason, have come to perceive of anime, they are "action cartoons." Now, I completely agree that FMA has a high emphasis on kickass action, but what the dubbers aren't really getting is that the action was all the better because of the plotline... They're turning this into another "epic quest" deal.. It's kind of disgusting to see such a great show go down in flames. I don't care what anyone has to say about my views, since they're MY VIEWS. Dubs introduced me to anime, and I support them.

I've seen lots of dubs I like. I don't even completely hate the voices in this FMA dub, but what I see happening is them destroying the plot. It's like playing an RPG for action; I suppose kind of interesting, but for the most part lame.
Old 2004-10-24, 15:19   Link #17
Youko Recca
Breakdancing Samurai

Quote:
but what I see happening is them destroying the plot.

Uh...........no.

The voices are good, so far. Good enough I won't bitch and make subpar comparisons.
Old 2004-10-24, 16:25   Link #18
OshadowO

I have only one thing to say...the law of equivalence?

Jeez hope that's a one time thing.
Old 2004-10-24, 20:23   Link #19
aznpunk97

omg, does anybody have any rubbing alcohol to clean out my ears??/

lol

the dubs aren't horrible, but japanese voices are better, fits their character... i can get use to the dubs but i like the japanese speaking ppl better....

bah...
Old 2004-10-24, 20:42   Link #20
zarkand

Quote:
I have only one thing to say...the law of equivalence?

Jeez hope that's a one time thing.
Whats so bad about law of equivalence?
Closed Thread