AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 12:59   Link #1041
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Who's the audience for Uchuu in that slot, I wonder? A lot of kids?
I don't know if you saw the posting I made over in the Tsuritama thread, but this site reports that sales of the Uchuu Kyoudai manga have increased by some 800,000 copies since the anime began. Of course, the live-action movie probably has something to do with this as well.

Like AbZeroNow, I assumed the presence of furigana characters, not to mention the space photo of the week segment, suggested that the producers of Uchuu Kyoudai think there must be a substantial number of kids in the audience. Some people have posted demographic breakdowns of viewing for some shows in the past. I don't know where they come from, but I'd be interested in seeing the figures for Uchuu Kyoudai.

I really wish Crunchyroll would include translations of the OP/EDs in their shows. I suspect the approval process must be more complex and include getting the composers and various music-licensing agencies like JASRAC to sign off. Quarkboy recently wrote that his subs of the songs in Sakamichi no Apollon didn't appear in the first half-dozen episodes because they were waiting on approvals for the translations.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-18 at 13:16.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 13:25   Link #1042
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, the manga is doing great too, and the LA is a big factor. It's relevant to point out that the manga is a seinen, and I would assume the TV audience is largely a seinen demographic.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 13:58   Link #1043
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yup, fathers and sons having breakfast together and talking about manly stuff like what was going on in episode three during the examination of Mutta's privates while he fantasized about a naked Serika and decided to "save it for later." Boys will be boys, as they say.
Old 2012-06-18, 15:10   Link #1044
Atarashii

I haven't seen demographic breakdown stats for Uchuu Kyoudai on 2chan yet. I could have missed them of course but as of now I don't think they were ever made available.

As for the manga being a seinen, it's surely worth mentioning but it's not that relevant in terms of demographic. A perfect example is Shin-chan which is a seinen massively popular among kids (much more than some other big shônen anime like Detective Conan or One Piece).

Quote:
世帯 個人.KID TEN M1 M2 M3  F1 F2  F3
*9.6 *4.9 11.9 *7.7 *4.0 *5.4 *2.0 *4.2 *5.8 *4.2 10/29 NTV 18:00-18:30 名探偵コナン
10.8 *5.1 11.5 *4.3 *8.8 *8.4 *1.8 *8.2 *6.3 *0.9 10/30 CX* 09:30-10:00 ワンピース
10.4 *6.9 30.0 *8.1 *3.6 *2.9 *2.9 *4.7 12.1 *3.2 10/28 EX* 19:30-19:54 クレヨンしんちゃん
Atarashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 15:54   Link #1045
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I wouldn't be drawing too many parallels between Shin-chan and Uchuu Kyoudai.
Old 2012-06-18, 16:07   Link #1046
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'm not sure the slow pace would be a drawback for the young audience,slow pace to avoid catching up to the manga is something you see often in long running shonens,if anything the slow pace feels a lot more natural here.
Old 2012-06-18, 16:13   Link #1047
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I'm not sure the slow pace would be a drawback for the young audience,slow pace to avoid catching up to the manga is something you see often in long running shonens,if anything the slow pace feels a lot more natural here.
It isn't so much a question of pacing as a lack of action. Plus, it really seems like the themes here are going to be most compelling to an adult audience. That might have been true to an extent with T & B, too, but that show had an abundance of other baubles to entice both fujoshi and otaku. Keeping it specific to kids, what is there really to entice them if they aren't a hard-core space geek?
Old 2012-06-18, 17:19   Link #1048
Undertaker

Uchuu took over Beelzebub's slot on Sunday morning @ 7 so I doubt the rating is unique to adult, after all, how many working man you know would wake up at 7 in the morning? I know I don't...

Anyway, according to both Japanese and Chinese Wiki the adaption was altered a bid due to seinen orgin as well. So I guess give Japanese some credits, they don't just go after JUMP and other Shounen actions all the time.
Old 2012-06-18, 18:31   Link #1049
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
how many working man you know would wake up at 7 in the morning? I know I don't...
I'm guessing you don't have children!
Old 2012-06-18, 19:53   Link #1050
Undertaker

You're right I don't have children but at same time, I would expect it was moms who got awaken earlier. But that's not the point.

Even if the dads got up that early, you would expect the TV got occupied by the kids "first" and not adults, and either way kids would get involve.

For the claim that working men are the reason for rating spike, the kid shouldn't get involve to this and dad factor is moot unless the dads are forcing kids to watch anime they don't like or kicked them away from the TV, and I doubt that would be the case. Kids are pretty persistent. (while I don't have kids I got cousins and siblings 10-20 years younger than me so I got my shares of babysitting)

Besides, kids would watch anything fun. I mean most of the gag-comedians (1-shot comedians) are supported by the kids more than adults so I won't really put it that.

But I would suspect the subject being space would help, kids loves space and astronauts.
Old 2012-06-18, 20:03   Link #1051
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Kids will watch anything if you put in in front of them. They will notice if whatever it is is better than the usual stuff tossed at them on the TV
Old 2012-06-18, 20:18   Link #1052
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Dads get woken up by the kids too, Geez. And DVR's do exist in Japan.
Old 2012-06-19, 00:32   Link #1053
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

As, I'm sure, do households with more than one TV.

I just wish I could find the actual statistics for Japanese television "penetration" rates. It seems like the only data on television ownership these days are published in proprietary market research reports. Most of the public data are way out of date. Still I tried to make a few "back of the envelope" estimates.

The one public source comes from way back in 1997 and reported a figure of just under 700 televisions per 1000 people. Applying that proportion to the 2010 census data, which reports an average of just under 2.5 persons per household, suggests the average Japanese household owns 1.75 television sets. The actual per-capita figure is probably larger than 700 compared to fifteen years ago, so televisions per household could be averaging close to, or even over, two. Given the high proportion (31% in 2010) of single-person households in aging Japan that probably own only one or two sets, the average household with kids might have three or more televisions.

Oh, and we are talking about Sunday mornings after all, when dads being awakened by their offspring is a more common occurrence.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-19 at 00:42.
Old 2012-06-19, 04:14   Link #1054
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Dads get woken up by the kids too, Geez. And DVR's do exist in Japan.
Yes, but this is rating we are talking about, it's number of household that are tuned in at that time "watching" not DVRing or other forms of recording. Those are not part of rating and shares surveys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As, I'm sure, do households with more than one TV.

I just wish I could find the actual statistics for Japanese television "penetration" rates. It seems like the only data on television ownership these days are published in proprietary market research reports. Most of the public data are way out of date. Still I tried to make a few "back of the envelope" estimates.

The one public source comes from way back in 1997 and reported a figure of just under 700 televisions per 1000 people. Applying that proportion to the 2010 census data, which reports an average of just under 2.5 persons per household, suggests the average Japanese household owns 1.75 television sets. The actual per-capita figure is probably larger than 700 compared to fifteen years ago, so televisions per household could be averaging close to, or even over, two. Given the high proportion (31% in 2010) of single-person households in aging Japan that probably own only one or two sets, the average household with kids might have three or more televisions.

Oh, and we are talking about Sunday mornings after all, when dads being awakened by their offspring is a more common occurrence.

Agree, multiple TV in household would skew the rating and share. But then again when there is a spike it means some other adult-oriented programs like news, variety shows, drama would dip in rating.

I mean considering that the "total" TV in use for a time slot usually don't fluctuate too much, some of those adult programs would have to suffer, unless you really believe that almost 1-2% of adults simply decided get up early to watch Uchuu Kyoudai,

Personal I still think that dad would rather watch comedy shows or news in the morning slot, which they most likely made it a habit, than the station that is traditionally use it as childern's anime slot at the time.
Old 2012-06-19, 08:23   Link #1055
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Yes, but this is rating we are talking about, it's number of household that are tuned in at that time "watching" not DVRing or other forms of recording. Those are not part of rating and shares surveys.
Really? I thought DVRs get counted in as well. Do DVRs send specific types of requests or something? I thought they were passive equipment.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-19, 10:51   Link #1056
Undertaker

No, usually DVR is not part of rating. After all, Rating is the number of households with TV who are watching at time and the survey sample size were took during the program with phone and other method. Delayed rating like that usually don't count.

If we use Neilson as standard procedures, DVRs and other recording are only included in and other data referring as "Sweep" which sends out a mailing survey questioning about viewership of recorded media during a 7 days period (1-week).

That being said, any data with DVR included will take time to collect and is not available on first-hand basis.

Besides, DVR data don't really matter, the whole point for ratings, shares, and the like were not used to see which program is more popular but use as a reference on how stations would charge their CM slots which is their primary means of revenue. So in essences rating was really a mean to estimate the potential viewership of CMs therefore delayed watch like DVR won't help because most people would skip commercials with DVRs.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:06   Link #1057
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Actually the rating services in Japan and the US differ in their treatment of DVRs. Japanese rating services apparently do not count DVRs at all unless their policies have changed since 2005. In the US, delayed viewing of DVR recordings over the three days after a show is aired is counted toward Nielsen's "C3" ratings. In this report, delayed viewing of shows like House added a full percentage point to their ratings. For live sports, there is unsurprisingly little delayed viewing. All these data come from metered homes, not diaries kept during "sweeps."

On the subject of commercial skipping see Do Americans Watch More DVR'd Commercials than You Think?. The upshot is that a lot of viewers are much more inert than you might believe and don't bother skipping the commercials. People have lots of other ways of avoiding commercials in real-time like leaving the room while they air. They've been doing this essentially forever. Research I worked on back in the early 1980's on audience behavior while watching television showed it was fairly common for people to leave the room during commercials, and much less common for them to leave while the program was on. (No, my real name does not appear in Lloyd's essay to which I linked.) So even with pre-recorded programming viewers may take advantage of commercial breaks to go to the bathroom or make a sandwich rather than hitting the fast-forward button.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-19 at 11:28.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:45   Link #1058
Undertaker

Thanks for clearing it up, so the sweeps are basically gone and being replaced by the pre-set meters then?

But either way, DVR viewing would still be represented by a different data and not in the usual ratings data that you see, right?

Anyway, I don't doubt there are going to be adults or dads watching Uchuu Kyoudai, heck most high rating anime have adults involved in significant numbers. I just find it hard to believe that they are representing the entire spike on for that slot as Guardian Enzo suggested or implied when those mornings slots and mid-late night slots are slots that rarely fluctuate as far as ratings and shares go between program types.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:55   Link #1059
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

No, there are still sweeps, and they still use diaries. The largest markets have been metered for quite some time now, but that technology is much too expensive to be used in the smaller ones.

I suspect that the newspaper reports on how many people were watching Revenge this week may not include DVRs. Usually those figures, the so-called "overnights," represent "live-plus-same-day" viewing from the national metered panel. However that other Nielsen report I cited above claims the "C3" ratings are now the basis for most advertising sales.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:43   Link #1060
Undertaker

Well if the case with the DVR commercial are convincing enough, I can see C3 become the primary data basis.

But back to the debate on hand, right now there is no data to suggest that the majority of spike for Uchuu Kyoudai is all is from adult.

The Manga sales spike do suggest that the Anime is doing it's job with the back issues been sold that makes up a good chunk of that 800,000 increase you mentioned. But that could still be your traditional anime watching crowd (or the crowd that watches K-On, Bamboo Blade, etc) than working dads.