Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-12, 10:52   Link #321
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
-I love see "normal" teenagers that doesn't have to be slaped or baited by promise of sex prior every battle. That iself makes this my favouite mecha of season ( even if Gargantia is objectively better).
Wait this seriously happens?
Old 2013-05-12, 11:58   Link #322
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I can't even think one one anime that does that.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 12:12   Link #323
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Unless one counts Kira Yamato, though this is only made somewhat evident in the SEED movies/special editions... -_-
Spoiler:

And I doubt it was a regular kind of incentive.
Old 2013-05-12, 12:23   Link #324
Tenzen12

I were refering about famous (or that I belived until now) " Brigh slap" from original Gundam.

That promise of sex is reference to NGE

Anyway I like MP for having realistic teenagers without exaggerated angst (explaining own jokes, what a pityfull being I am. Laught to me if you want )

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-05-12 at 12:39.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 13:12   Link #325
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I were refering about famous (or that I belived until now) " Brigh slap" from original Gundam.
The Bright Slap IS a famous scene - and I believe most Asuki readers familiar with the old Gundam series did catch the reference without any problem (heck, I've never bothered watching the original MSG and I still know of the Bright Slap). What threw everyone for a loop, however, was the second reference you threw in.

Quote:
That promise of sex is reference to NGE
Which only happened once in the EoE movie IIRC (you have to admit the scene is a bit ambiguous considering the circumstances under which the "promise" was made - and what happened the very moment after that). The reason why no one caught that, however, is because of this:

Quote:
baited by promise of sex prior every battle

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-05-12 at 16:40.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 13:29   Link #326
outlaw97

Haha yea, with Shinji it wasn't so much sex as daddy issues (Cue all the "Get in the f*ing robot Shinji" jokes).

I think I see what you're getting at though - a common theme for mecha shows is that if the main pilot is a young boy, more often than not they're doing it reluctantly, or against their will (saving the girl, immediate danger to their lives, etc).

Here we have a group of teenagers that are doing it willingly, without any second thoughts. Granted, it's because they're soldiers and that's all they know, but still nice to skip past the whining that usually accompanies such situations.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 16:56   Link #327
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Unless one counts Kira Yamato, though this is only made somewhat evident in the SEED movies/special editions... -_-
Spoiler:

And I doubt it was a regular kind of incentive.
but she did not promise him to only have *6* with him only if he fight
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 19:11   Link #328
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
You'd think medicine advanced enough for genetic engineering would've given Asagi either H. pylori antibiotics, PPIs for oversecretion, local slow-release anti-somatostatin, of which 2 are readily available as of present day.

But not everyone's a geek, much less a medical geek.
What if he's actually growing another organism in there and it's not an ulcer? Like in the "Alien" franchise?
Old 2013-05-12, 21:12   Link #329
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Well it was pretty obvious in the first episode that the Wulgaru may not be aliens given how "human" the commander looked.

Though I hope this doesn't turn into a "we were a failed experiment that was abandoned by Earth and thus we are here to prove ourselves or something"

ANd not another "Understanding" crap.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 21:13   Link #330
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
ANd not another "Understanding" crap.
The number of times I've seen the concept of empathy turned down on this board is kind of disheartening.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 21:29   Link #331
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Oh please spare me.

I don't care how many ways you spin it but so far for the Wulgaru this is nothing more than a hunt for them. The Earthlings are just "rabbits" that deserve to get shot and if they can give them a challenge then that's great. Even the Earth commanders made a note that so far at this point the Wulgaru hadn't taken them seriously at all.

Wars and bad things had happened due to misunderstandings but it in the end it resulted in one side being defeated and then coming together to negotiate. It did not involved a guy going around screaming "We must understand each other" and going around "disabling" units.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 22:26   Link #332
outlaw97

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Oh please spare me.

I don't care how many ways you spin it but so far for the Wulgaru this is nothing more than a hunt for them. The Earthlings are just "rabbits" that deserve to get shot and if they can give them a challenge then that's great. Even the Earth commanders made a note that so far at this point the Wulgaru hadn't taken them seriously at all.

Wars and bad things had happened due to misunderstandings but it in the end it resulted in one side being defeated and then coming together to negotiate. It did not involved a guy going around screaming "We must understand each other" and going around "disabling" units.
The human side is seeing it as a war because they acknowledge their foes as sentient and intelligent. The Wulgaru see them as lower life forms, animals. Do you make war with animals? No, you hunt them. So the "understanding/empathy" that's needed is not the touchy-feely peace kind, it's recognizing the humans are on the same level, and following the rules of war.

Pure speculation on my part anyway - hard to really tell what their motives are at this point with so little info on them. We might even see a conflict of ideals on their side - if the white haired princess is indeed Wulgaru, she might be arguing for negotiation, while the rest of that council thinks they're only fit to be hunted.
Old 2013-05-12, 22:34   Link #333
outlaw97

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
What if he's actually growing another organism in there and it's not an ulcer? Like in the "Alien" franchise?
Towards the end of the show, when Team Rabbits is in a pinch, a new being will erupt from him and shows off his REAL piloting skills!
Old 2013-05-13, 00:31   Link #334
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post
The human side is seeing it as a war because they acknowledge their foes as sentient and intelligent. The Wulgaru see them as lower life forms, animals. Do you make war with animals? No, you hunt them. So the "understanding/empathy" that's needed is not the touchy-feely peace kind, it's recognizing the humans are on the same level, and following the rules of war.

Pure speculation on my part anyway - hard to really tell what their motives are at this point with so little info on them. We might even see a conflict of ideals on their side - if the white haired princess is indeed Wulgaru, she might be arguing for negotiation, while the rest of that council thinks they're only fit to be hunted.
The way I'm seeing it so far is that the white haired girl Theoria is a childhood friend of Izuru that he no longer remembers because of the memory wipe. He was probably the one who gave he the book from episode 4 and was the one to motivate her o negotiate with the humans which is why she has seemingly been trying to help the humans.

can anyone translate what is on here about Theoria? i know it mentions Izuru but I'm not sure exactly what for.
http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.c...2022956307.jpg
Old 2013-05-13, 05:33   Link #335
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You mean Asagi is... pregnant?

Claim responsibility, Izuru!
Old 2013-05-13, 06:20   Link #336
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-13, 08:27   Link #337
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, we really do know very little about the Wulgaru's motives in all of this.

It certainly doesn't look good on the face of it - It definitely does come across as being a blood-thirsty hunt on their part. And it just occurred to me that this being a hunt for the Wulgaru side would make "Team Rabbits" a rather fitting name.

But for all we know currently, the Wulgaru could have a much more reasonable motivation for their actions. It's best to remain prepared for that, especially given how anime often pulls the "last minute sob story meant to make the antagonist more sympathetic" bit.

One bit of pure speculation - I have a hunch that Simon (guy with the visor) is actually the father of one of the Team Rabbits members. I could see that being a pretty neat/dramatic reveal later on.
Old 2013-05-13, 09:12   Link #338
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One bit of pure speculation - I have a hunch that Simon (guy with the visor) is actually the father of one of the Team Rabbits members. I could see that being a pretty neat/dramatic reveal later on.
If that's your hunch, I'd love to hear your guess about which one his child is.
Old 2013-05-13, 09:52   Link #339
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
If that's your hunch, I'd love to hear your guess about which one his child is.
I'm going back and forth between Hitachi and Asagi. Going by physical similarities, I could easily buy either as the son of Simon; both have hair pretty similar to Simon's.

While this is a team/ensemble-based show, Hitachi strikes me as being the main main protagonist (if you get what I mean), and so him being the son of Simon might be the most fitting given that added import.

On the other hand, one could argue that Asagi could use something like this more than Hitachi could. As an individual character, Asagi is basically a solid straightman who's only really defining trait is his frequent stomach problems.

Right now, I probably lean more towards Hitachi as the son of Simon in my speculations.
Old 2013-05-13, 10:34   Link #340
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

that graduation episode was nicely done, if you think about the fact that their memories were wiped before they entered the academy, it would mean that their first memories were made in that place, so those flashbacks were their first memories, and that background music set the mood perfectly.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction