AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 9 13.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 30.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 33.82%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 5.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-25, 06:32   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Suisei no Gargantia, Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-05-26, 08:18   Link #2
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

First part:

Spoiler:

EDIT - second part:

Spoiler:

EDIT bis - ep.09 preview:
Spoiler:

END picture:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-05-26 at 08:35.
Old 2013-05-26, 08:35   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 8:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2013-05-26, 12:28   Link #4
Shinhwa
Banned

I feel the tragedy is coming soon slowly...
Old 2013-05-26, 12:34   Link #5
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

You know things are getting serious when a lady lets her down.
Old 2013-05-26, 13:03   Link #6
bastek66

Now we must wait a week
Old 2013-05-26, 13:08   Link #7
Helius

Not much worth mentioning, really. But at least we now know the Alliance is in the same galaxy, some 6,000 light years away from Earth apparently.
Old 2013-05-26, 13:11   Link #8
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Not much worth mentioning, really. But at least we now know the Alliance is in the same galaxy, some 6,000 light years away from Earth apparently.
That at least Josses the time travel speculation.
Old 2013-05-26, 13:16   Link #9
ookamigirl

So Ledo is stuck on Earth.
The funeral part was as expected... sad and gloomy.
Seems like everything is falling apart.
The new commander's speech was rather nice.
I was surprised Ledo decided to leave.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-05-26, 13:30   Link #10
hai_san

Very strong empathic ep this week. I dont think we can to categorize mecha as main theme anymore, SnG has so much deep. Ridget, Bellow, Pinion and Ledo, Amys, Bevel etc have so much interaction it was great. Since this serie is only 12/13 ep long? Ledo probably wont ever return to the his Galactic Alliance, since he is 6000 lightyears afar, and it is unlikely the Alliance will somehow return to earth. The main conflict could be with the earth Hideauze and conciliation/reunifications of the Gargantia fleet. But really i dont even know what to expect for the last remaining eps. The Story could go anywhere, but i hope for a very very good ending.

ps: for the next ep preview Ledo and Pinion seems to be surprise/shock ..
Old 2013-05-26, 13:33   Link #11
GDB

I really feel this series doesn't know what it wants to be. They spend all this time doing random stuff, and building up characters that they've now essentially discarded. There aren't many episodes left, and they haven't gotten anywhere, so they can't afford to split remaining time between Ledo and Gargantia. And given how prominent Amy is in the OP/ED, you know everything's going to have to come full circle and end up back at Gargantia.

They spent almost the entirety of the episode on the funeral, which was touching and nice to see, but they didn't really build this character up enough to make his funeral have that much impact that any other character wouldn't have also been able to do.

I guess, in short, I've lost faith in this series. I tried to hang on after it seemed they were finally going to move the plot along, but it's obvious to me now that Urobuchi needed more hands-on time with this project. First and last episodes are not enough.
Old 2013-05-26, 13:38   Link #12
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

Why would the alliance not go to Earth if they're looking for a habitable planet?

edit: I guess this is irrelevant since Chamber's SOS will take 6500 years to reach the Alliance...
Old 2013-05-26, 13:41   Link #13
GDB

When they last left it, it was uninhabitable. They presume that to still be the case.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:07   Link #14
Shadow5YA

Who was the artist for the endcard of today's episode?
Old 2013-05-26, 14:14   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I haven't "lost faith" in this series, but I think a lot of GDB's criticisms hit the mark. The one thing I disagree with is that the show "doesn't know what it wants to be." It is a human drama, not a mecha show. It has just enough mecha to keep tantalizing mecha fans and keeping them around. Maybe.

In any case, much as I enjoyed this episode (mainly for Amy's controlled despair), it seems like it would have worked better in a 26-episode series than in a shorter one.

As for Pinion, I'm finding him totally loathsome. Selfish, nasty and stupid sums it up. I kind of hope he is the first to die, but only after realizing what a d*ck he has been.

Ridget was portrayed as too soft for my taste. If she is really the one to run Gargantia, she would have been more together and proactive in the crisis.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:19   Link #16
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I just watched the episode and it was.... Decent, but not interesting, at least in comparison to some previous episodes. I think they were trying to hard to make it depressing, but I suppose they needed to get out as much character development as they could before more good parts show up. I kind of liked the idea that Ledo is not fighting hideauze JUST to exterminate them anymore.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:33   Link #17
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Ridget simply suffers from Japanese anime culture that loves to portray women as needing help (though, to be fair, that humble humility is supposed to be a positive trait if I understand Japanese culture). I try not to judge too harshly, even if I'd never in a million years ever put such a person in a leadership role. Might make a good middle manager, but that's about it.

The series itself seems to have pacing issues, though I think it's becoming a bit clearer where the it's all going to come to a head.

It appears the Alliance won't be a factor, which I'm genuinely surprised about, which means no dances with the wolves climax, meaning the actual climax will be far more low key and almost certainly be a lovey-dovey affair with Ledo realizing he doesn't have to follow his mission and can live a normal life. Nothing wrong with that, but if they'd just shut Chamber down in the first 2-3 episodes, there'd be less false expectations on what to expect out of this series.

Pinion may be a cruddy human being, but I try to think about what life is like for these people, restricted to a flotilla their entire lives, with no modern conveniences, and then suddenly having something shake up that monotony with almost ungraspable power. This is a genuine chance to shake up the status quo and possibly jump start civilization's progress. It's just a shame that it's being catalyzed by one of the stupidest characters in the series, rather than say the council of captains.

With Ledo stuck on Earth, he's no longer a transient issue, and the captains seriously dropped the ball on not re-evaluating how they would deal with him and his god-like powers (they seem too content to hope he'll be gone soon and leave their world like how it was prior to his arrival).

All in all, this particular episode kept up the unfortunate glacial pacing, and while I fully expect a little more action as they attack the nest, I don't know that there will ever be enough to make it anything other than slice of life/drama.

I may have initially thought this was going to be this season's Shinsekai Yori, but I think I'm going to have largely forgotten about this anime within a year or two. It's not bad, but it's not particularly compelling either.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:34   Link #18
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Meh... I know this episode was an important turning point, a crossroad, where people have to chose which way to go but somehow, it was boring. Ah well, now that we have this important but boring episode out of the way, on to some squid smashing, gun toting episode. Too bad the brown girls stayed behind.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:38   Link #19
Entravity

Not bad, but it's definitely not above average. I like the funeral scene when he got dumped into the water. Everything else is just okay though.
Old 2013-05-26, 14:56   Link #20
ginger02

I really loved this episode, especially Saaya. You could tell how sad she would be for Amy to leave, but she also understood Amy's feelings.

The music was fantastic in the episode, and I enjoyed little tidbits like Ridget untying her hair and the sunrise. The burial process was interesting too.The whole leaving your home alludes to, well when anyone has to leave their home, like students or families.
Closed Thread